We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 15:22

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A very strange specimen of Hardin Co., Illinois

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

k-m.minerals

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2023 23:07    Post subject: A very strange specimen of Hardin Co., Illinois  

Wanted to add this piece to the thread, and welcome some discussion!
To the keen eye, this is a very strange specimen of Hardin Co., Illinois fluorite.

A very prized piece of our private collection, this specimen of Calcite on Fluorite on Petrified Wood on Limestone! Ours is the first collection outside of Hardin County, IL (where we acquired it in person) to hold this stellar amalgamation.

This curious looking specimen is from the town of Rosiclare in Hardin County, Illinois. The fossilized wood found in Hardin County, Illinois is primarily found in coal-bearing sedimentary rocks of Pennsylvanian age, which span a time period from about 323 to 299 million years ago. In particular, the fossilized wood in Hardin County is often found in the Carbondale Formation, which is a sequence of coal-bearing rocks that were deposited during the middle and late Pennsylvanian Period. The Carbondale Formation is characterized by alternating layers of coal, shale, sandstone, and limestone, and is estimated to be around 307 to 312 million years old. The formation of yellow fluorite in Hardin County, Illinois, can be attributed to a specific geologic event that occurred during the Mississippian Period, which lasted from about 358 to 323 million years ago. Therefore, the estimated time period for the formation of yellow fluorite in Hardin County is older than that of the fossilized wood, with a difference of around 35 million years between the two. The yellow fluorite likely formed during a different geological event, when the region was subjected to hydrothermal fluids that caused mineralization to occur.

It's important to note that the ages of both the yellow fluorite and the fossilized wood are estimated based on radiometric dating of the surrounding rocks and may have a margin of error, but when you consider that the Petrified Wood and Fluorite formed in two different time periods, and aren't typically found together, it’s more than strange to see that this specimen exists.

The old miner who was the first to own this specimen (and most likely the one who unearthed it) claimed that it came from a very small opening in the ground that was directly across the road from an old auto parts shop in Rosiclare, Illinois. This "hole in the ground mine" only produced a small amount of Fluorite that, to my knowledge, was not documented.

This is a true unicorn of a specimen! I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Done-23.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite on Fluorite on petrified wood on limestone?
 Locality:
Rosiclare, Rosiclare Sub-District, Hardin County, Illinois, USA
 Dimensions: 14cm x 9cm x 11.8cm
 Description:
A front view of the specimen
 Viewed:  6019 Time(s)

Done-23.jpg

fossilized wood 2.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
A closer look at the front
 Viewed:  6015 Time(s)

fossilized wood 2.jpg

fossilized wood 3.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
The calcite on yellow fluorite.
 Viewed:  6005 Time(s)

fossilized wood 3.jpg

fossilized wood 4.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
The fossilized wood on limestone
 Viewed:  6003 Time(s)

fossilized wood 4.jpg

fossilized wood 6.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
The back of the specimen, primarily a limestone matrix with the yellow fluorite and white calcite covering one side.
 Viewed:  6011 Time(s)

fossilized wood 6.jpg

fossilized wood 7.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
A closer look at the calcite on fluorite on limestone matrix
 Viewed:  6014 Time(s)

fossilized wood 7.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2023 04:26    Post subject: Re: A very strange specimen of Hardin Co., Illinois  

It is not that unusual to find fossils and fluorite in the same specimen. I have a fossilized coral with fluorite from Castleton, Derbyshire, England. I guess it happens, as you say, when the fluorite mineralization flows through an older rock bearing fossils and there is a cavity the fluorite can enter.

k-m.minerals

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2023 07:23    Post subject: Re: A very strange specimen of Hardin Co., Illinois  

I appreciate your response! I know it’s not unusual to find Fluorite and fossilized material together in other locations, but in all of my searching I can’t find another that has come out of Hardin County anywhere. It appears that the geologic landscape of the area didn’t allow for those materials to form together as frequently. That’s mainly why I find myself entranced by this piece - specifically because of the rarity for the locale it was removed from.

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2023 08:24    Post subject: Re: A very strange specimen of Hardin Co., Illinois  

Is the fossil mineralized with quartz or some other mineral?

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2023 09:20    Post subject: Re: A very strange specimen of Hardin Co., Illinois  

I love mineralized fossils and this is great example with a cool story to tell. We tend to focus on the big deposits, but often small occurrences yield some of the better curiosities! You sent me to the literature and I was surprised to find descriptions of lag deposits of fluorite clasts caught up in paleosurface solution potholes, which led me to wonder if this might have come from one of those (the silicified wood also being trapped with the fluorite having survived erosion... and perhaps having its rough edges worn off as your pictures suggest). Fluorite is pretty insoluble once deposited so it's a bit hard to see it being rmobilized and deposited on the wood, but there may be pieces of the story we're missing.

However, the data in the literature do not support the timing quandary you propose. I looked unsuccessfully for your Mississippian date for fluorite timing and can't find one. What I did find was that a variety of dating methods (direct and indirect) indicate a range of ages, from Permian to Upper Jurassic, for the age of fluorite deposition in the Illinois-Kentucky Fluorite Field and the Hicks Dome event, which appears contemporaneous with fluorite mineralization and its hosting structures is also Permian. These are all younger than Mississippian and the wood's Pennsylvanian age, so if true, there is no timing conundrum.

Perhaps Jared will read this and opine?

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2023 15:39    Post subject: Re: A very strange specimen of Hardin Co., Illinois  

Fossil assemblages associated with fluorite mineralization were not uncommon at the Rogerley Mine. Most common were carboniferous-era colony corals, which were often present in the host limestone. Mineralization in the area has been dated to lower Permian age, so obviously the fossils obviously predate the fluorite, and have managed to survive the mineralizing process that created the ore deposits..

03-077-7419r.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite, Galena, Quartz
 Locality:
Rogerley Mine, West Cross cut, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 11x7x5 cm
 Description:
Fluorite, quartz, and galena, collected from the metasomatic flats adjacent to the Greenbank vein at the Rogerley mine in 2003.
 Viewed:  5730 Time(s)

03-077-7419r.JPG

03-077-7421r.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite and Quartz
 Locality:
Rogerley Mine, West Cross cut, Frosterley, Weardale, North Pennines Orefield, County Durham, England / United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 11x7x5 cm
 Description:
The reverse side of the previous specimen showing associated colony coral fossils in limestone matrix.
 Viewed:  5741 Time(s)

03-077-7421r.JPG

k-m.minerals

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2023 00:52    Post subject: Re: A very strange specimen of Hardin Co., Illinois  

Hi Peter!

Thank you for providing additional information about the possible origins of the mineralized wood and fluorite in Hardin County, Illinois. I agree that there may be pieces of the story that we are missing and that the deposits could be more complex than what was initially suggested.

I apologize for any confusion concerning timing earlier. After further research, I found some sources that suggest that the age of fluorite in the Illinois-Kentucky Fluorspar Mining District, including Hardin County, may be younger than we previously thought like you suggested.

For example, a study by Eble et al. (2010) states that "Fluorite mineralization in the Illinois Basin appears to have been a late-stage phenomenon related to regional hydrothermal events that were largely post-Pennsylvanian in age" (p. 1663). The Pennsylvanian Period lasted from about 323 to 299 million years ago, so this would mean that the fluorite in Hardin County could be younger than the Mississippian Period.

Similarly, a study by Simonetti et al. (2014) used radiometric dating to determine the age of fluorite samples from the Illinois-Kentucky Fluorspar Mining District and found that the mineralization occurred during the Permian Period, which lasted from about 298 to 252 million years ago.

Thank you for sharing your insights and expertise on this topic. It is always valuable to hear different perspectives and consider alternative explanations for geological phenomena! You've been a great help in pointing us in the right direction.

This piece still fascinates me. As someone who doesn't often come across mineralized fossils, I am always amazed by the natural processes that can create such unique and beautiful specimens. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge on this subject :)

And thank you Jessie for including the beautiful specimen from Rogerley! I'm definitely more inclined to pursue Fluorite/Fossil specimens now :) I'll have to look into more material from the area.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: