We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 18, 2024 05:34

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Azurite to Malachite Chemistry

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

RayStraw

PostPosted: May 03, 2023 09:28    Post subject: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

The attached picture shows botryoidal malachite nucleated on the side of a 7cm azurite crystal from the Tsumeb mine, Otavi Highlands, Namibia (Ray Straw specimen, Jeff Scovil photograph).
In a recent paper Smallwood and Cairncross suggested that the overall reaction is as follows:
Two azurite portions plus water yield three malachite portions plus carbon dioxide (for the same amount of copper).
2*Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2(c)+ H2O(l)
= 3*Cu2(CO3)(OH)2(c)+ CO2(g)

(c stands for crystal, l for liquid, and g for gas)

I believe there may be some intermediate reactions that would allow local movement of copper or copper ions. A crystal to crystal reaction would probably be very slow
Any ideas?

2023-02-0049TSsurfacenucl7cmSm.jpg
 Mineral: azurite
 Locality:
Tsumeb Mine, first oxidation zone, Tsumeb, Otjikoto Region, Namibia
 Dimensions: 7 cm crystal
 Description:
less pixels
 Viewed:  8693 Time(s)

2023-02-0049TSsurfacenucl7cmSm.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 03, 2023 11:12    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

Ray

I quick search on azurite+malachite shows your interest in this area. Let's see if this question helps. Not my area, so I cannot help

James

RayStraw wrote:
The attached picture shows botryoidal malachite nucleated of the side of a 7cm azurite crystal from the Tsumeb mine, Otavi Highlands, Namibia (Ray Straw specimen, Jeff Scovil photograph).
In a recent paper Smallwood and Cairncross suggested that the overall reaction is as follows:
Two azurite portions plus water yield three malachite portions plus carbon dioxide (for the same amount of copper).
2*Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2(c)+ H2O(l)
= 3*Cu2(CO3)(OH)2(c)+ CO2(g)

(c stands for crystal, l for liquid, and g for gas)

I believe there may be some intermediate reactions that would allow local movement of copper or copper ions. A crystal to crystal reaction would probably be very slow
Any ideas?

lluis

PostPosted: May 03, 2023 11:17    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

Hi, Ray

It is the reaction, known from before I was still young.
Or better said, more or less... Water, that you place as liquid, works also as humidity in air... So, no necessary liquid.
Azurite is only stable at, if I remember well, 5 atmospheres CO2 pressure. Taking in account that we are at 1 atmosphere pressure, total, not only CO2, well, it is unstable in atmospheric conditions...
So, the reaction you place occurs, at the rate it is possible.

For crystal to crystal, just take in mind that any place that is more sensitive in structure would begin the change.... that will go till it could depending on humidity available...

Maybe not too clear, but just it is as it go... More stable phases coming for less stable phases... Thermodynamics... :-)

With best wishes

Lluís

Roger Warin

PostPosted: May 04, 2023 07:10    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

Totally agree, Lluis,
The attack is done at the level of the unit cell and the surrounding gas.
I think that the writing of equations remains purely formal.
The degradation reactions take place step by step, from molecule to molecule under the influence of acid H2O (gas) molecules (with CO2), in the solid state like rust devours iron. The active agent could be a very small wet reactive aggregate (superficially absorbed liquid) which would make sense of the chemical equation.
Copper is a transition element that readily forms organometallic complexes. In a 1st stage, H2CO3 can behave like a copper ligand.
As with viruses, humidity and temperature must be important in the kinetics of the process.
I think so. It's just a suggestion.
Roger.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 04, 2023 07:58    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

So it is similar to the way rust spreads across steel? Interesting

Roger Warin wrote:
Totally agree, Lluis,
The attack is done at the level of the unit cell and the surrounding gas.
I think that the writing of equations remains purely formal.
The degradation reactions take place step by step, from molecule to molecule under the influence of acid H2O (gas) molecules (with CO2), in the solid state like rust devours iron. The active agent could be a very small wet reactive aggregate (superficially absorbed liquid) which would make sense of the chemical equation.
Copper is a transition element that readily forms organometallic complexes. In a 1st stage, H2CO3 can behave like a copper ligand.
As with viruses, humidity and temperature must be important in the kinetics of the process.
I think so. It's just a suggestion.
Roger.

lluis

PostPosted: May 04, 2023 08:56    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

Hi, James, Roger, List

Well, iron is sensitive to humidity (it is under hydrogen, so, in water, it reduces cation hydrogen and goes to Fe2+, that is later oxidized to Fe3+)

Not the same mechanism as in azurite to malachite (azurite is just metastable in atmospheric conditions; Iron is less noble than hydrogen. Similar, but not the same (to my mind... and I think it is what is said in chemistry. At least to me. But taking in account that there are as many schools as you wish.... :-( )
Steel is a generic. There so many steels as you wish. Inoxidable steel is also iron, so in principle sensitive to water, but there is a mechanism due to composition that makes corrosion take much more slowly (unless you place there a complexant like chlorides, that accelerate decomposition.... Except for maritime iron, that is high in Titanium, and titanium, if memory serves me well, is the only metal that resists corrosion by chlorides.

Sorry for long wording

With best wishes

Lluís

Roger Warin

PostPosted: May 05, 2023 09:12    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

Thanks Luis,
I looked at the unit cell structures of azurite and malachite (AMS Data Base).
If the unit cell of azurite seems more symmetrical to me (both minerals are monoclinic), the unit cell of malachite surprised me, in particular at the level of the CO3 groups. Azurite crystals are also better formed with a rich morphology.
In malachite, each Cu atom is surrounded by 2 nearest oxygens and 2 (OH).
Cu is square planar. Thus plane Cu alignments are formed and the Cu octahedra are very deformed.
I would like to understand this pseudomorphosis which always begins on the surface of the crystal.
The comparison with rust stops there because it is not a mineral.

lluis

PostPosted: May 05, 2023 10:26    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

Hi, Roger

Transformation of azurite into malachite always should take place in surface..just because water is needed, and water reaching insides without touching surfaces, well, impossible...
In the remote case that water could be inside the azurite, then CO2 should be released, and pressure would be over the 5 atmospheres and azurite would be stable....
Yo my mind, maybe too simple, is easy: simply possibilities (and think that azurite is formed in water... Just at pressures of CO2 over the 5 atmospheres.....

I hope it may serve...

For structure., it is like diamond and graphite. One is cubic, the other hexagonal/trigonal.
symmetries are different... Nevertheless, graphite is metastable in ambient conditions and when done what is needed, it becomes graphite (I think to remember that heating till a temperature...)
Or the tin, forms Beta and Alfa. Form beta is malleable, and is how is usually known. Its crystalline structure are tetrahedrons. But under 13,2ºC, it becomes tin alfa, with structure based in cubes... and is pulverulent....
In Austria it is said that there is a big trouble with some monuments done in tin (as far as I remember the burial of Empress Maria Theresia...)

With best wishes

Lluís

P.D.: I would like to know as many crystallography as you know! Chemistry is so easy in comparison....

RayStraw

PostPosted: May 05, 2023 16:04    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

Thanks for all the insight.

I trying to understand how the pseudomorph grows with the azurite crystal.

Perhaps the first step is dissolution of the azurite near the pseudorph with acid. Then the malachite forms next. This would presume that the chemistry at the azujrite-psudomorph is different than the chemistry on the outside surface of the azurite.

Does this make any sense?

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: May 05, 2023 21:35    Post subject: Re: Azurite to Malachite Chemistry  

This discussion is largely beyond my knowledge particularly of chemistry. The acicular growth of malachite within a euhedral azurite crystal seems to me to require dissolution of the azurite. Perhaps that's already recognized in the previous discussion about the role of water. But somewhere there has to be a transfer of material to a dispersion fed growth of malachite.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: