We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 24, 2024 13:14

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
This Forum is proof that minerals are not an elitist's hobby
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2009 18:58    Post subject: Re: This Forum is proof that minerals are not an elitist's hobby  

Way things worked back then, Murf the Serf found a cool rock and the rules said he had to give it to his liege lord, because it was already his. Sounds like the governments attitude towards my money. Murf probably got an extra crust of bread for his trouble and was happy.

As you point out, elites have always existed, what matters is the ease of getting in...we call those who try to narrow the entrance elitists. We could wax psychological about why some feel so insecure they have to close the door after they're in. I think they need a hobby

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2009 04:07    Post subject: Re: This Forum is proof that minerals are not an elitist's hobby  

Ed Huskinson wrote:
Yes Carles. (...) Rock Currier covered it well in his series of columns in the MR: "About Mineral Collecting". What a great read!!! I bought 5 of the issues they put out that combines the six columns. Great investment, and I've been giving them out to kids who seem to have the sort of mind set that we mineral collectors exhibit. (Oohh, there's a pun).

Hi Ed!

You're right. It's a formidable work and a little jewel. I read twice the five articles when published in "The Mineralogical Record". I got the separate reprint last August and it's really a great pleasure for me reading it again while sitting in my couch. I never get tired of doing it. I'm even using a highlighter to enhance the most interesting phrases. It should be a must for every mineral collector (and for dealers as well).

nurbo

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2009 04:16    Post subject: Re: This Forum is proof that minerals are not an elitist's hobby  

Hello
I have this idea that the first mineral collectors must have been the serfs Ed mentions, dragging a pretty rock up from the mines where they relentlessly toiled to make their masters rich, then their masters saw what they had brought from the depths and wanted it for themselves, I could be wrong but it seems logical to suppose that this were the case.

I couldnt help but notice in Gails photoreportage of Denver that there were Sweet Home Rhodo's for $75 - 80 000, thats about what I paid for my house, a price tag of this kind is appealing to the few (relatively) who can afford such sums of money, and they are by definition "Elite" and some may feel they are superior because they have that kind of money to spend on rocks, but in my opinion its all relative, we spend what we can afford to spend, if that is $75k it probably equates as being less than the schoolboy who spends his pocket money, proportionately the schoolboy spends more as an overall percentage of income.

It seems to me that value is maybe of more relevance to non collectors, in that I have non collecting chums who see my collection and ask about its value or how much it cost me to put together, whereas I firmly believe other collectors would be more "Thats an interesting piece are you sure the locality is correct :-) "
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2009 09:31    Post subject: Re: This Forum is proof that minerals are not an elitist's hobby  

I take a couple of days off and Ed and Pete start running off at the mouth, or email. Of course there are elitists in the mineral hobby, both as dealers and as collectors. It is no big deal, just accept it and move on. I am still not quite sure if I like it when Ed is actually gainfully employed or just sitting around typing away.

I am going to take a different tact and propose that collecting minerals (include fossils) is one of the last great democratic hobbies, bringing folks from all walks of life together. Anyone, with knowledge and hard work, has the opportunity to go out and find a specimen that virtually anyone who collects will covet. Or, you can travel to another country and be lucky enough to purchase a specimen that makes you weak in the knees.

What other hobby would allow someone like me to know the likes of Steve Smale, Gene Meieran, John Lucking, Ed David, Jim and Gail Spann, Bill and Carol Smith, Terry Wallace, Fred Steiniger, Eric Asselborn, Francis Benjamin, and Lauren Megaw, just to name a few? I have not forgotten Tony Potucek, Ed Huskinson, and Peter Megaw, but because we all work, or have worked in the mining business, our paths probably would have crossed at some point in our professional careers.

The people I have listed are among the numerous friends I have made over the years because of our common interest in minerals. In their own fields, excluding Lauren who still has many years ahead of her, everyone I have mentioned can be considered "elite". From investments and economics to medicine, to science, mathematics and technology, I would have no reason to connect with these people, nor them with me.

Another facet of this hobby is the impact we can each have on local and national museums. Not many of us could afford to donate a piece or art or coin or stamp that would be placed on exhibit in one of the national museums, or possibly even local museums. However, most mineral museums are glad to receive new donations and place them proudly on display.

So, do not worry about titles or names. Enjoy the minerals at whatever level you collect and let others worry about categories.

Finally, the only bet I will make is that Lauren Megaw is likely to outlive us all.

Yet, when we walk onto the Tucson Show floor, or bump into one another at some other show, we have a common interest. None of these people have ever struck me as elitists, but they are among a group of elite collectors.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: