We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 00:57

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

ikram

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2009 22:54    Post subject: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Hi
I would like to share some photos of recent mining in Mawi mines, Laghman, Afghanistan.
Cheers,
Ikram

12.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41354 Time(s)

12.jpg

11.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41336 Time(s)

11.jpg

10.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41361 Time(s)

10.jpg

9.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41319 Time(s)

9.jpg

8.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41416 Time(s)

8.jpg

7.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41332 Time(s)

7.jpg

6.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41363 Time(s)

6.jpg

5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41357 Time(s)

5.jpg

4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41315 Time(s)

4.jpg

3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41412 Time(s)

3.jpg

2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41379 Time(s)

2.jpg

1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41360 Time(s)

1.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jason

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2009 22:54    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Ikram, those are excellent photos..thank you so much for posting them for us, half a world away, to see..please post more if you have them.
jason

ikram

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2009 23:04    Post subject: More Photos of Mawi mines , Laghman Afghanistan.  

Some more photos of mining activities at Mawi mines, Laghman, Afghanistan.
Cheers.
Ikram

21.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41322 Time(s)

21.jpg

20.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41293 Time(s)

20.jpg

19.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41308 Time(s)

19.jpg

18.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41289 Time(s)

18.jpg

17.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41305 Time(s)

17.jpg

16.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41286 Time(s)

16.jpg

15.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41295 Time(s)

15.jpg

14.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41316 Time(s)

14.jpg

13.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  41290 Time(s)

13.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2009 23:44    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Ikram,
This post and its companion are incredible. The conditions are quite severe for these men, and yet they produce such wonderful mineral specimens. Thank you so much for posting these photos. I never really appreciated what folks went through in this part of the world to bring the minerals to light.
Bob

Jason

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 00:06    Post subject: Re: More Photos of Mawi mines , Laghman Afghanistan.  

More good photos..and to think they have to muck all by hand there..Gary Freeman and the guys at Mt. mica would have a heck of a time having to do that..please post any more photos if you have them

ikram

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 00:39    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Hi
Jason, Bob thank you so much for your great comments and appreciating my photos.
I will post more photos of the locality very soon.
Ikram

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 02:18    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Hi Ikram,

I'm excited to see more pictures. It's really nice to see such impressions from inside a mine, thank you!

Tobias

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 02:31    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Hi Ikram,

The many photos you post the more we appreciate the crystals from there. It's the other side of the mineralogy. You have given me a lot of "food to think about". Only the photos, without ethical discussion. Stunning.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Antonio

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 02:51    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

ikram wrote:
Some more photos of mining activities at Mawi mines , Laghman Afghanistan....

Ikram, both posts are so interesting that I unified them in a single post: "The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan" in order to make the navigation easier.

Thanks for your posts Ikram, as you can see them are more than appreciate here! ;-)

Jordi

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 04:58    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Great photos Ikram but it would help to know what we are looking at. Can you please include labels for the minerals, some of which appear almost tumbled and rounded so are hard to recognize?

garchin

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 05:03    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Hi Ikram,
Simply wonderful!
What are the main minerals mined there?
Sukran, Gar.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 07:57    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

garchin wrote:

What are the main minerals mined there?

See https://www.mindat.org/loc-7.html

Jason

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 09:27    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Most of those look like spodumene..not really sure what the golden orange colored ones are in the one photo

Turbo

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 11:36    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Is Afghanistan largely unexplored in terms of it's precious stones?

ikram

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 12:16    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Hi
Thank you so much for your great comments .
Especially Jordi for unifying these in single post .
John ! this is a combine minerals vug of Spodumen and Morganite.
Bob a usefull link of the locality.
Cheers.
Ikram

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 12:32    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Given the wonderful things that have been coming from Afghanistan for the past 30 or so years, I would hardly call it "unexplored." The pegmatites of areas such as Mawi, Paprok and Pech have produced some of the finest kunzite, elbaite, and other pegmatite minerals known. The marbles of Sar-e-Sang are world famous for lapis and other minerals such as hackmanite, afghanite, sodalite, etc. The ruby deposits near Jagdelak have long been known. The political turbulence over the same time period has undoubtedly limited exploration and development of mineral deposits, and I am sure that there is far more waiting to be discovered. If peace should ever come to that troubled region I think the wealth of minerals and gems that would be discovered would be mind-boggling.

Peter

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 12:48    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Ikram
Thank you for posting the images here as well. They are excellent.
I received a few this summer and a few many years ago from friends who visited.
A lot of work has been done since the first images but still, the Mawi pegmatite is so huge!
Indeed Jesse, although these mines have produced exceptionally fine specimens, and what a variety!!! the amount of work involved is very high.

To me, the Himalaya Mine is one of the richest pegmatites, continuous pockets with great specimens. In Pakistan and Afghanistan, of what I have seen, only a few veins in the Braldu valley could be judged similar in appearance, but here with numerous pockets of aquamarine. Many others, few pockets, sometimes with fantastic specimens, but overall, what we see at mineral shows is la creme de la creme. Most are broken shards, pieces, rounded, broken just like in the image.

Lots for sale in Pakistan are usually a few hundred kilos of rocks with perhaps a couple of fine specimens. Mining is largely paid by the bulk, i.e. cutting, carving rough.

Peter

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 13:00    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Peter,
As you know, I am familiar with what a mine will produce. From the Rogerley we get 99% wholesale, and a few top pieces each year. We mostly pay for operating the mine by selling wholesale quality. I know this is how most mines are. The top specimens are very rare. The Himalaya pegmatite was exceptional because of the number of pockets and high quality of many specimens. I do not think that many collectors really appreciate how rare the best specimens are.

Peter

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2009 13:18    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Hi Jesse
Very true and I think one must be involved in mining for years in one location to be able to realize it. Over the years, we both saw many pockets in the Himalaya Mine besides other mines in the world. At Malmberget I would say 99.9 % of the pockets are nothing special and the rare good pockets may have a couple of good specimens, the rest bulk.
Then during almost 200 years of mining a one to 12 million tons of magnetite a year besides millions of tons of wall rock, every decade or two perhaps one incredible pocket is encountered and some specimens saved.

I saw many huge lots of material from Pakistan and Afghanistan. Usually there are a few nice specimens in each, some none. Much easier to go to Munchen or Tucson and you will see the best! And although the price is sometimes high, maybe twice the carving rough...... Hundreds of kilos of broken shards have been sold for half or sometimes almost the same price per gram, kilo.

Jordi Fabre had a superb large Pyrosmalite from Sweden at Munchen last year. Yes, it was a few k, but thy to mine there! You may spend M bucks to even find the vein!

I was involved in mining in the Urals, in Volodarsk and some other interesting gem pegmatites. Huge amount of work, pumping and mining costs are exhorbitant. I treasure my specimens even more now!!!

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2009 16:13    Post subject: Re: The Pegmatites of Mawi Mine Laghman, Nuristan, Afghanistan  

Ikram, I also wanted to add my thanks for your posting these fine pictures of the mines, minerals, and workers. The hillsides certainly are honeycombed with tunnels! I was impressed at how snow-white some of the tunnels appeared to be inside--it looked like this was in a pure white marble, but I presume that it must be all feldspars of the pegmatites, just lacking in any dark minerals. Thank you again,
Pete Modreski

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: