We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 09:50

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Scott LaBorde

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 08:41    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

Those finds are awesome. Thank you Tomasz for providing those videos which were very entertaining. The thrill of extracting specimens from a pocket is indescribable. Thanks to all of you for sharing your specimens and stories.

Scott

Jason

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 11:54    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

Nice find Turbo..nobody ever checks the lowly old drainage ditch and look what can come out..and vic..very nice..did you by chance have the camera with you when you were extracting the pocket..would love to see that!!! good finds guys
Reply to topic Reply with quote

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2009 12:22    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
We will see this material in Tucson?

The loot was split 3 ways- the pocket was at the top of a 16' ladder and I needed all the help I could get. Most of the rest went to local collectors,will post pics of the stuff I kept. No camera - but lots of mud.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2009 14:02    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

Been meaning to comment, Harjo, those Leckbach emeralds on matrix are wonderful. And, Scott, great amethyst. Enjoyed all the others too. I'm still waiting to have time to finish looking at the calcite collecting videos--but, very neat, great job of documenting this.

bugrock

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2009 00:32    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

Hello,

On the topic of self collected minerals here are two crystals of the element that makes the Keweenaw
Region of Michigan famous, copper. Must confess I had the help of a local guide in securing
these two specimens.

The first two images show a twinned crude but large copper crystal. It comes form a prehnite vein
discovered some time ago, a vertical vein in basalt. Considerable material has been removed from
this Keweenaw County location but most copper is locked very tightly in the prehnite. Those who have
tried to extract material using HF tell me the copper can be freed but this treatment results in severe pitting of the
crystal surface. Fortunately the specimen illustrated popped out of the matrix as the vein was being
attacked with hammers and pry bars, it is about as "clean" as one might expect from this deposit.
Unfortunately one ding on the surface.

The second copper xl is much smaller. The images were taken through a dissecting microscope
photo port with digital camera. This crystal was found on breaking rocks on the Madison Mine poor
rock pile, Keweenaw Co, Michigan. The rock has disseminated copper, again in prehnite, mostly
amorphous as typically occurs but one crystal revealed itself on a broken surface.

Presently these Keweenaw locations are under a thick blanket of snow. One can only dream of what might be revealed in the New Year.

Wish all who participate in and view this forum the best of the New Year!

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 1.jpg
 Description:
Copper crystal, Keweenaw Co, Michigan.
7 cm wide at base, 5 cm high, weight 753 grams
 Viewed:  17667 Time(s)

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 1.jpg

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 2.jpg
 Description:
Copper crystal, Keweenaw Co, Michigan.
7 cm wide at base, 5 cm high, weight 753 grams
 Viewed:  17668 Time(s)

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 2.jpg

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 3.jpg
 Description:
Micro Copper crystal, Madison Mine, Keweenaw Co, Michgian, the crystal is 1.2 mm wide
 Viewed:  17699 Time(s)

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 3.jpg

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 4.jpg
 Description:
Micro Copper crystal, Madison Mine, Keweenaw Co, Michgian, the crystal is 1.2 mm wide
 Viewed:  17652 Time(s)

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 4.jpg

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17675 Time(s)

Copper Keweenaw Michigan 5.jpg

Luiz Menezes

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

My most important field collection experience was in 2002, when I self-collected a specimen containing the best kosnarite crystals ever found.

On August 2002 I bought a light yellowish-green montebrasite crystal, 12 x 10 cm, partially coated with micro colorless crystals; my supplier was very disappointed because he tried to leach away those crystals (that he thought were worthless micro wardites) to get a nice clean yellow montebrasite specimen, but I was lucky that kosnarite has a strong bond between Zr and P so the crystals survived first oxalic acid and later even hydrochloric acid!

I had the material soon identified as kosnarite (but not on time for the Denver show) and when I returned from Denver another supplier had bought, from the same mine, a lot of cleavelandite clusters with eosphorite and zanazziite/greifensteinite crystals, and also a rich coating of kosnarite crystals up to 2 mm across; I bought the lot, identified the other associated minerals (ushkovite, jahnsite-(CaMnMg), apatite and micro bipyramidal quartz crystals) and brought the material to Munich, with great commercial success, because not any of the species collectors neither any dealer of rare species had kosnarites.

After returning to Brazil I convinced my supplier to bring me to the mine, a small pegmatite on the Jenipapo district, Itinga, Minas Gerais; Jacques Cassedanne went there with me and we had planned to write an article together about this mine, but the rainy season had already started and the conditions underground were dangerous so the mine was not been run and we could not go underground; so we looked on the dumps for eventual kosnarites or associated material the could have been thrown away, without success, but then I saw 4 piles of rocks that were being used as a support for a sheet of steel screen, under which the miners (“garimpeiros”) were burning wood at lunch time to heat their cans of food; all rocks on the 4 piles were black, completely coated by carbon, but I could see that one was more irregular, I lifted it and saw that it was coated with cleavelandite crystals and also rhombohedral crystals that I right away identified as kosnarites, up to 5 mm across.

I brought the specimen back to Belo Horizonte, removed the carbon, trimmed it and it became one of the big hits of the 2003 Tucson show; that black carbonized rock provided me a big revenue. It was a great collecting day!

Kosnarite.jpg
 Description:
Kosnarite crystals (4 mm across) on Albite - 4 x 3 cm
Jenipapo district, Itinga, Minas Gerais, Brazil
 Viewed:  17434 Time(s)

Kosnarite.jpg

jimB

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2010 21:19    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

Hi Luis, That is a great story. Moral ? When looking, look everywhere . I love it.

Steve Foster

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2010 14:14    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

Wow, some very nice specimens in this thread. I definately feel the amateur in my collecting. But hey, I am getting there and always excited to see and find new things.

Since I am also in the Rock Hound catagory and so far 90% of all specimens I have were collected by me, allow me to add my two favorites.

7.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite on Quartz
Rockville MD
Specimen is 5cm x 4.5cm
Inclusion is 1cm wide
 Viewed:  16612 Time(s)

7.jpg

carnelian.jpg
 Description:
Possible Carnelian on Quartz
Germantown MD
Specimen is 4cm x 3.5cm irregular shape
Inclusion is roughly 2cm wide x 7mm deep
 Viewed:  16598 Time(s)

carnelian.jpg

javmex2

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2010 15:22    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

Hello, one of my best hobbies is to collect minerals, search sites and abandoned mines, one of my best pieces may find it thanks to some friends who invited me to a ranch, where there are small outcrops of quartz, an excellent place are good examples. but hard to find.

DSC03187.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  16552 Time(s)

DSC03187.JPG

Scott LaBorde

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2010 15:28    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

javmex2,

That is an awesome specimen. I would be very proud of it too. The sceptered amethyst growth is beautiful.

nurbo

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2010 16:27    Post subject: Re: Your favorite 'personally' collected specimen  

I found this at Red Rake mine which is just off the Beach at Silverdale near where I live, I was with my friend Phil and we had just decided we werent going to find anything worth having when I looked down and saw this large ugly red rock, I picked it up and got a great surprise, it has a vug of Kidney Ore running right up the front of it with what I assume to be Calcite crystals poking out here and there, (reminds me, I must get around to fizz testing them). Its become a real favourite.

Ive added a picture of the mine

DSCF9107.JPG
 Description:
Botryoidal Haematite, Red Rake, Silverdale, Lancashire, FOV approx 5 x 4 cm
 Viewed:  16551 Time(s)

DSCF9107.JPG

red rake mine.JPG
 Description:
Red Rake Mine entrance
 Viewed:  16602 Time(s)

red rake mine.JPG

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: