We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 19:26

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Seeking info on hyalite
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 08:54    Post subject: Re: Seeking info on hyalite  

Hyalite in the pegmatite cavities in Hirukawa, Japan, can get rather annoying - It encrusts lots of the older feldspars, micas and smoky quartz. Interestingly, it occurs in two generations, one of which fluoresces the typical green and the other fluorescing white! So uranium is not a universal activator in hyalite.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 09:21    Post subject: Re: Seeking info on hyalite  

Hi,
There is a mistake with my photo,it seems it's lussatite after halite.
Some are talking of pseudo after melanophlogite.
The cubes are made of calcedony,but after halite or spomthing else,not Hyalite,I have mistaken on the photo.
on my photo it is calcedont and ct-opal-name of lussatite on mindat)
The hyalite is an amorphous glass containing water(an-opal)
Unlike most of opal species,it's not formed from aqua rich solution,it came from vapor deposit on cold surfaces.
The famous place where to find hyalit is Valec in tchek republic,and a place in mexico,don't remember the name,but we find some red topaz too.

Topaze et hyalite mexique 3,2cm.JPG
 Description:
Hyalite on topaz
3,5cm
mexico
 Viewed:  13891 Time(s)

Topaze et hyalite mexique 3,2cm.JPG

hyalite Valec tchéquie 3,5cm.JPG
 Description:
Hyalite
3,5cm
Valec
Tchek republic
 Viewed:  13885 Time(s)

hyalite Valec tchéquie 3,5cm.JPG

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 10:29    Post subject: Re: Seeking info on hyalite  

I suspect Pete Modreski is a better choice to answer the chemistry of this John, but I do have some experience in uranium exploration in volcanic piles, so I'll take a crack at the mechanics. The basis of our exploration program was to look first for volcanic piles that had lost uranium...by comparing the U content of glassy parts of the units (typically intra-caldera) with devitrified parts of the same units (typically outflows) and then looking for where the U might have been transported and trapped. We found lots of places that had lost U, but very little trapped U because there was nothing to trap it in the local environment where we looked. On an aside, we got pretty good at predicting which units had lost U simply by the presence and darkness of smoky quartz, which is caused by radiation damage. Quartz-eye rhyolites, either welded ash-flows or flow domes, typically had the highest original U content and the blackest quartz.

To return to the point: Rhyolitic (sensu latu) volcanics generally have elevated U with respect to more mafic compostions, and ash-flow tuff style volcanism tends to generate more glass than slower-moving styles that get a chance to crystallize. This means you have large volumes of relatively U-enriched glass shards that undergo devitirification during welding and degassing. Devitirification results in crystallization of abundant quartz and K-spar, but the U is incompatible and stays in the vapor phase until that hits some kind of depositional environment...geodes, cracks etc. and the U has nowhere else to go except be incorporated into the opal...or chalcedony.

Actually is does have somewhere else to go...into the local groundwater and on until it hits a reductive trap, like organic material. It also can get incorporated into calcite. In Mexico and other carbonate environments with overlying rhyolitic volcanic fields it is very common to see calcite veins that fluoresce yellow-green from U. These contrast nicely with the orange-red fluorescing Mn-bearing calcite veins deposited by the spent fluids left over from carbonate replacement deposit metals deposition. Very useful for separating structural environments in the field and in core! Practical mineralogy strikes again!

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 10:48    Post subject: Re: Seeking info on hyalite  

Many of the Mexican topaz rhyolites generate hyalite as a final coating phase. The pictured one comes from Mina Veronica in Zacatecas...Mike New of TopGem has produced these for years. Most of the time they burn off the hyalite with HF. There are fine filaments of a black mineral within the hyalite blobs...psuedobrookite? that do not survive the cleaning process either.

The Bohemian examples typically show well crystalized apatite (specific species unknown to me)...is this also vapor phase deposition?

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 20:17    Post subject: Re: Seeking info on hyalite  

Bailey - I too want to encourage you to keep looking at minerals. There are so much cool things about minerals that you never stop being amazed by them. I have gotten my nieces to Tucson for two years and they totally love mineral specimens now. There are many mineral shows and clubs to attend. Go to: https://www.rockngem.com/showdates.asp (link normalized by FMF) for mineral shows and google up you local club if you are interested.. BTW, you must see fluorescent hyalite in person, in a dark room. Peter's pictures are good, but nothing beats seeing them yourself. Tucson always has a nice fluorescent display but I'll bet many other mineral shows do too.

No matter what you do - have fun and keep interested! Good luck!

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 22:16    Post subject: Re: Seeking info on hyalite  

Matt...how old are your nieces and are they coming this year...there's a gang of kids getting together at Tucson this year some competing (for $$$!!!) and some just enjoying the minerals. I am sure they'd be welcome and my daughter would be happy to communicate with them in advance about what's afoot

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2010 17:26    Post subject: Re: Seeking info on hyalite  

One is 11 and one is in second grade. They aren't coming in this year until Sat, so they will only have one day at the main show. But if there is an age-appropriate kid thing to do on Sun, then please let me know and I'll get with their Mother.

Thanks.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2010 17:48    Post subject: Re: Seeking info on hyalite  

The Main Show is appropriate for ALL ages...

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: