We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 05:53

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jim

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 12:05    Post subject: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

HI everyone,

Gail has a great thread on Mindat related to "favorites of the day", as certain specimens might appeal more than others to a collector on any given day.

To keep this thread different and topical, I would be interested to hear about your favorite finds from the past Tucson Show!

Cheers,

MAD about crystals
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Paul Bordovsky

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 13:21    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

I almost hesitate to post this chinese rhodo here on Jim's topic, since it is not as pristine
as his preference, but it adds some color to my case......and it is from Tucson 2010.

I didn't setup my usual shooting arrangement, just took the pics next to the window. About 56mm across the front, and 37mm deep.

Paul

Jim wrote:
HI everyone,
To keep this thread different and topical, I would be interested to hear about your favorite finds from the past Tucson Show!

Cheers,

P2274529a.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33100 Time(s)

P2274529a.jpg

P2274528a.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33114 Time(s)

P2274528a.jpg

P2274526a.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33109 Time(s)

P2274526a.jpg

P2274524a.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33089 Time(s)

P2274524a.jpg

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 13:40    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting the lovely pics.

Let me clarify that I'm not one of these people who believes that they "own" or "control" a particular thread. I just like to throw out a topic and let the community take it from there if there's any interest to comment.

I personally love super pristine specimens, but I appreciate it all. The color of your rhodo is sweet! Did you score anything else at Tucson?

Cheers,

MAD about crystals

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 14:01    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Good idea Jim, I separate this topic of the other thread: 'What are your favorite specimens?' -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=696 , because I believe it is enough interesting to run alone ;-)

Jordi

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 14:42    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

A fabulous aquamarine from the Northern areas of Pakistan, very high altitude. Recently renamed the area Gilgit-Baltistan. Haramosh mountains. Doubly terminated, really superb addition to our collection.

DSC_0187.JPG
 Description:
Jim holds a flashlight under this new aqua. it is really blue and beautiful.
 Viewed:  33039 Time(s)

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG
 Description:
without the flashlight it is still a stunner!
 Viewed:  33038 Time(s)

DSC_0178.JPG

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 14:53    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

In general, as a collector I found the the Tucson show this year to be rather frustrating. It seems that with each passing year, more and more of the things we would like to add to the collection are becoming out of reach financially. Still, each year I seem to come away with some things that I'm happy with, so I can't complain too much.

Among this year's finds:

A nice (and unrepaired) amazonite and cleavelandite cluster, acquired from Joe Dorris. I've found that if one is willing to fore-go the addition of a smoky quartz crystal, the prices of these can be more reasonable. Being a feldspar collector, I found this combination of interest.

The Bulgarian sulfides currently on the market are, perhaps, some of the best examples of minerals such as galena, sphalerite, chalcopyrite, etc., that I can remember. Perhaps because they don't have the color to qualify as "eye candy" they remain what I think are true bargains. This one, a perfect, untwinned sphalerite crystal with epitaxic chalcopyrite on quartz came from Ross Lillie.

I also found a couple of old English fluorites, including a nice twinned crystal from the Boltsburn Mine, from Dan and Diana Weinrich.

Boltsburn-5492-r.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite (penetration twin), Boltsburn Mine, Co. Durham, England. 8 cm across.
 Viewed:  33055 Time(s)

Boltsburn-5492-r.jpg

Sphalerite-5461.jpg
 Description:
Sphalerite, Chalcopyrite, and Quartz, Mogila Mine, Rhodope Mts., Bulgaria. 6 cm across.
 Viewed:  33055 Time(s)

Sphalerite-5461.jpg

Amazonite-5453.jpg
 Description:
Amazonite & Cleavelandite, Florissant, Colorado. 711 cm across.
 Viewed:  33042 Time(s)

Amazonite-5453.jpg

Jim

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 15:19    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Gail, The aqua is stunning -- I hope you'll bring to show at the next MAD meeting. That it's d/t is superb!

Jesse, you and Joan always find cool stuff. Out of curiosity, what items were noteworthy that you saw but that "got away"?

Cheers,

MAD about crystals

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 15:39    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Two specimens that caught my attention were a really superb spinel-twinned spinel on marble matrix from Vietnam, that Dudley Baluwet had. Specimen size was around 7 cm. I understand that the guys from the Natural History Museum, London took this one home with them.

The other was one of several spectacular Afghani bicolor tourmalines with quartz and albite that Collector's Edge had. This was my favorite. Probably about 12 cm tall. Prices on all were in the low six figures. No big tourmalines for me this year!

4354-r.jpg
 Description:
Spinel-twinned spinel on marble, Luc Yen, Vietnam.
 Viewed:  32994 Time(s)

4354-r.jpg

4357ar.jpg
 Description:
Elbaite with quartz and cleavelandite, Paprok, Afghanistan.
 Viewed:  32994 Time(s)

4357ar.jpg

Joan Kureczka

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 16:31    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

One of the other things we got was my purchase. I'd been looking for a good bluish Russian aqua from Transbaikal to go with the greenish banded historic specimen we acquired in the early years of our collecting. This year I was successful in getting what I wanted for a very good price. This is the same aqua that Jordi showed in his show report, saying it was in the Mineral Almanac case. We loaned it to Michael Leybov for the case after purchasing it earlier in the show, as a consolation for not loaning our Transbaikal matrix tourmalines that were needed for our own TGMS display. This aqua is actually from a new find from September 2009; I am told there were about 7 significant crystals and lots of tiny ones.

Beryl-5514r.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32952 Time(s)

Beryl-5514r.jpg

keldjarn

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

I agree with Jesse that some of the top specimens carry astronomical price tags. But it is always possible to find exceptional specimens of a wide range of collectible minerals during the Tucson shows also at acceptable prices. Here are a couple of specimens I took back home to Norway.
The first is a very rich group of deep pink Topaz crystals on a large quartz crystals from Brumado. The other is an exceptional rich 7 cm specimen with colourless to pink crystals of Marshite from the Rubtsovskiy mine. The last one is an 8 cm specimen that conists of flashy red, hexagonal crystals of Hibonite with sharp crystals to near 1 cm in cavities from a new find in Argentina.

hibonite8cmargentinajpg.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32933 Time(s)

hibonite8cmargentinajpg.jpg

Marshite7cm.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32930 Time(s)

Marshite7cm.jpg

Topaz1cmxlsbrumado1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32961 Time(s)

Topaz1cmxlsbrumado1.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 05:08    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

I loved the pink topazes on quartz. As I recall the dealer has several of them and they were among the neatest things that I saw in Tucson this year.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 05:35    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Here are two of my happiest acquisitions from Tucson 2010, both for my quartz collection. The group of crystals is from Jinkouhe, Leshan, Sichuan, China, and it measures 9 cm across. The frosted-appearing quartz is from the Idarado mine, Ouray, Colorado. It is 13.5 cm long, doubly terminated, all of the tiips of the satellite crystals are intact, and there is a "reverse scepter" on the near end which is not frosted. Peter Megaw spotted this one for me. We should all be so lucky as to have Peter flagging specimens for us. Both are a bit tricky to photograph and I apologize for the fact that my photos are not better.

DSCN1589.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32852 Time(s)

DSCN1589.JPG

DSCN1591.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32841 Time(s)

DSCN1591.JPG

Jim

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 09:01    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

John S. White wrote:
Here are two of my happiest acquisitions from Tucson 2010, both for my quartz collection. The group of crystals is from Jinkouhe, Leshan, Sichuan, China, and it measures 9 cm across. The frosted-appearing quartz is from the Idarado mine, Ouray, Colorado. It is 13.5 cm long, doubly terminated, all of the tiips of the satellite crystals are intact, and there is a "reverse scepter" on the near end which is not frosted. Peter Megaw spotted this one for me. We should all be so lucky as to have Peter flagging specimens for us. Both are a bit tricky to photograph and I apologize for the fact that my phots are not better.

Thanks for posting, John

I'm also a quartz lover, so I found those pieces to be really cool.

Cheers,

MAD about crystals

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 11:12    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Two more goodies for my quartz collection from the recent Tucson Show. The faden is, for me at least, a rare matrix piece from Waziristan, Pakistan. The faden stands 5 cm above the base. The other was a real nice surprise, a large smoky quartz with a crown of pale rose quartz above it on microcline. It is from Linopolis, Minas Gerais, Brazil, and measures just over 8 cm in the longest dimension.

DSCN1595.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32677 Time(s)

DSCN1595.JPG

DSCN1593.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32689 Time(s)

DSCN1593.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 18:07    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Fabulous photos of your minerals everyone!

Here is a little beauty that I quite enjoy, newly in our collection from Dan and Diana Weinrich's Tucson stock...

DSC_0053.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32600 Time(s)

DSC_0053.JPG

Greg Toomey

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 22:42    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Excellent specimens everyone! This is a botryoidal fluorite on quartz from Jamner, India. 9.5 cm high x 9.5 cm wide x 7 cm deep. I really like this glandular piece.
Greg

Fluorite.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  32544 Time(s)

Fluorite.JPG

Gail

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 22:59    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Greg! I have your "egg" twin! I love it too!

Greg Toomey

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 23:04    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

Gail,

I'd love to see it!

Greg

jamesb

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2010 23:47    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

I like the "egg" fluorite too.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2010 05:24    Post subject: Re: What are your favorite finds from the 2010 Tucson Show?  

For some reason these "egg" or "glandular" fluorites were remarkably abundant at this year's show. I probably should have purchased one.

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: