We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 00:08

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 13:30    Post subject: Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times  

In another thread i saw the discussion about special mineral names between Roger and Antonio, and i thought it could be worth an own topic. As a person both interested in minerals and history of mining, i am fascinated of old mineral names which sometimes seem funny to us modern people but sometimes also are reminiscent of old times. German language is blessed with many of such old names. For example, Roger mentioned the German word "Honigblende" (= honey blende), which is a variety of sphalerite. And when Antonio mentioned that there is also a Spanish word meaning nearly the same (blenda acaramelada), i became interested if there are other examples in Spanish, English, French etc.

Some other samples of older German mineral names:

Gelbbleierz (yellow lead ore) = Wulfenite
Grünbleierz (green lead ore) = Pyromorphite
Rotbleierz (red lead ore) = Crocoite
Himbeerspat (raspberry spar) = Rhodochrosite
Schwerspat (heavy-weight spar) = Baryte

I think they are similar in English, but i don't know about the other languages ... And there are some which are surely that fancy that they don't have a linguistic counterpart in the other languages, or do they? ;-)

Lithiumeisenglimmer (lithium iron glimmer) = Zinnwaldite
Kieselzinkerz (silicon-dioxide zinc ore) = Hemimorphite
Kieselkupfersmaragd (silicon-dioxide copper emerald) = Dioptase (in former times often mistaken for emerald)
Schrifterz (script/font ore) = Sylvanite
Nadeleisenerz (needle iron ore) = Goethite

There are hundreds more in German, especially among ore minerals. I would like to see such examples of ancient/funny or somehow special names from the other languages - but please with an English translation ;-)

Cheers!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 14:22    Post subject: Re: Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times  

Very interesting topic, especially for a an enthusiastic of languages like me - I studied Spanish, Latin...-. I am sure that by far German is the language with more descriptive names of minerals. I have realized it when I received a mineral with its card from Germany. You always have another German name for a standard mineral, and usually it is descriptive as in the examples you wrote above.

The sources for the Spanish names of the minerals are Greek, Latin and at less degree English -above all in modern times-. However, give me a couple of days to collect some examples.

Regards

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 15:01    Post subject: Re: Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times  

Antonio Alcaide wrote:
Very interesting topic, especially for a an enthusiastic of languages like me - I studied Spanish, Latin...-. I am sure that by far German is the language with more descriptive names of minerals.

I'm glad you like this topic. I studied History and German language & literature and thus this topic touches both my professions (1. due to the historical meaning and 2. due to the linguistic origin of mineral names) and my passion for minerals. And you are right, German is by far the language with the most mineral names. Not only in former times - today still many minerals have a name besides their official IMA name. Even today you can find names such as Kalkspat (Calcite) or Steinsalz (Halite) in public collections, at least as an addition to the IMA name.

But in former times, every ore mineral had at least one German name which, in most cases, referred to the chemical compound. And i really love this old names. On many labels of my collection there is not only the IMA name but also the German name, e.g. Sphalerit (Zinkblende) = Sphalerite (zinc blende). Maybe this is nonprofessional or foolish, but in my opinion it adds a kind of ancient touch to our hobby and reminds us of the long history that connects us with minerals.

David Von Bargen

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2010 06:49    Post subject: Re: Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times  

Stink-fluss From the German for "stink" and "flow" - fluorite

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2010 09:09    Post subject: Re: Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times  

Though it consists of two German words, the name Stinkspat is more common in German than Stinkfluss/Stink-Fluss.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2010 11:28    Post subject: Re: Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times  

Japanese uses many many compound translated mineral names like this, some are ancient traditional names, some are translations of old german names, and some are translations from greek. Rather than make a long useless list, I'll give one example:

RINYOSEKI = "phosphorus leaf stone" = phosphophyllite

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2010 19:23    Post subject: Re: Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times  

Recommended Reading: "Baryte vs. Baryte" -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=543

Andreas Gerstenberg

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2010 06:35    Post subject: Re: Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times  

Yeah, great topic. Here are some of my favourites:

Pimelite (no, this is a decent forum, I do not translate this...)
"Pissophan" = amorphous pittcite-like stuff, not a valid mineral, however.
"Gänsekötigerz" (goose shxx ore;-)) = mixture of chlorargyrite and pittcite

The names Tobias mentioned show the metaphoric character of the old mineral names. As mentioned, before being named after locations or scientists the minerals got the most obvious names: descriptions of compound or appearance (Rotgültigerz = red, valid (i.e. valuable) ore).

Especially the German language is a reservoir of curious names. Otto Volger (1855) created sheer monsters when translating crystallographic terms (i.e. cube = Würfling, octahedron = Eckling, tetrahedron = Timpling...). Some moderate neologisms of Volger are the following: "knöchliger würfliger Timpling" (boracite) or "rechtstimpliger würfliger Knöchling" (boracite). But there are others: "plattlig-kreuzlig-dreifachvornstreblig-vornhalbfirstliger, gieblig-schärfliger, kreuzgiebliger Wolframit-Schärfling" (crystallographic description of a wolframite), "wendelkreisligkreisliger, wendelspindlig-spindliger, rechtstrugspindlig-wendliger Apatit-Ständling" (apatite) and - on the top of oddness - the "rechtsknöchelhöckertimplig-knöchlig-flachkippliger, linksknöchelhöckertimplig-würfliger, linker Fahlerz-Timpling" (tetraehedrite). I am not able to translate these terms, it´s too German for me...

Cheers
Andreas

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2010 07:20    Post subject: Re: Funny and/or remarkable mineral names from old times  

I don't wonder why Volger's work didn't make it into the modern crystallography ;-)

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: