We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Apr-03:14:45 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 12:49

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
New collector questions

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

captaincaveman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 09:25    Post subject: New collector questions  

Hi guys, ive just started collecting in the uk and just struck a few problems, hope you can help?

Firstly i purchased a few pieces if bornite, one being purple, the others a mixture of purple, blue and gold, it was sold as peacock ore but confused on the difference between bornite and chalcopyrite?

Secondly i purchaced a tumblestone of tremolite and a raw piece of tigers eye, after reading both contain asbestos are they safe in the forms i have them?

thirdly, can anyone help on a list of unsafe minerals or help explain how safe minerals containing mercury, asbestos and arsenic are, are the active ingredients safe in the mineral forms, things like cinnabar, realgar, adamite etc

Anyother help would be appreciated and hopefully ive used terminology that wont offend

Thanks

Jason
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 09:41    Post subject: Re: New collector questions  

Both bornite and chalcopyrite are copper iron sulfides with different ratios of copper, iron and sulfur. Bornite has traditionally been known as peacock ore because of the rich colors it displays when first brought out of the ground. Bornite is darker with blues, purples and blacks as the normal colors. Chalcopyrite is generally a golden yellow color with flashes of purples and blues. Unfortunately, over a period of year, the bornite is more susceptable to oxidizing and tarnishing (turning black). What is normally sold as peacock ore is chalcopyrite that has been chemically treated to produce the "peacock" type colors.

Neither Tiger Eye or tremolite are dangerous, unless you swallow the specimen or drop it on your foot. Tremolite does not contain asbestos. Minerals containing uranium, radium or thorium need to be stored properly and after handling a few minerals, such as realgar, orpiment, native arsenic, laurelite and aravaipaite, one should wash your hands before eating a sandwich. Some conatin arsenic or soluable lead minerals but more minerals can be handled without alarm.

Tracy

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 09:43    Post subject: Re: New collector questions  

Hi Jason -

To your asbestos question, there are two comments I would make. One is that asbestiform materials only present a health hazard if they are fraayed, such that individual fibers might be inhaled. I don't think you have much to worry about from the stones you have purchased.

The second comment actually applies both your asbestos and general poisons questions. It is that "the dose makes the poison." By this I mean that one would have to be systemically exposed to "enough" of a poison to cause health effects. Furthermore, the chemical form (such as ionic state or organic versus inorganic) of the poisonous elements determines the degree and extent of one's exposure. I don't see there being any serious reason for concern that youy might get a poisonous dose through your minerals, unless perhaps if you lined the entire wall of your house with cinnabar and heated it (to release the mercury). :-) It is pretty much impossible that by handling a mineral specimen containing a poisonous element, which might or might not be released in an absorbale (= hazardous) form, that there would be anything to worry about.

Hope this helps.

- Tracy

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 09:48    Post subject: Re: New collector questions  

Tracy is definitely the expert in these types of matter so I learned a great deal from her answer.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 09:50    Post subject: Re: New collector questions  

Welcome to FMF Jason!

Recommended Reading:

- "Bornite here?" -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1294

- "Sensitive minerals" -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=361

Jordi

captaincaveman

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 10:13    Post subject: Re: New collector questions  

Thankyou for the quick replys, im sorry to be a pain with these basic questions, if i supplied photos would it be possible to identify exactly what the mineral is? i would like a sample of both bornite and chalcopyrite in my collection(which is at about 60 items now, with a small sample of crocoite being my latest proud purchase lol)

Thankyou for the reassurance with the "toxic" elements, i have been avoiding two small but pretty samples of cinnabar and orpiment(unsure as to the matrix they are on), for fear of killing myself

In the Uk there are many local "new age" shops which are a quick source of many crystals and minerals, usually with a basic label and no specifics, yesterday i saw a mineral labelled zeolite but wasnt anymore specific as to which type

Im fascinated by the whole field of minerology but sadly for me its a minefield with names and information, hopefully i wont be too much of a thorn in your sides

Thanks again

Jason

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 10:30    Post subject: Re: New collector questions  

Zeolite is a mineral family, not a mineral. As a general rule, the New Age shops are not concerned with accurate mineral and locality information but they are interesting to walk through. One never knows when you might actually find a good specimen there.

Locality information is very important so you should find out about shows you can attend and meet knowledgeable collectors and dealers. Nick Carruth is one such dealer and Ian Bruce is another.

Finally, the easiest way to tell if your peacock ore is chalcopyrite or bornite is to take a pair of pliers and snip a corner of one edge of the specimen. If it is a golden yellow (sort of like pyrite underneath) it the mineral is chalcopyrite. If it is the same color as the surface it is bornite.

captaincaveman

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 10:51    Post subject: Re: New collector questions  

Les Presmyk wrote:
Zeolite is a mineral family, not a mineral. As a general rule, the New Age shops are not concerned with accurate mineral and locality information but they are interesting to walk through. One never knows when you might actually find a good specimen there.

Locality information is very important so you should find out about shows you can attend and meet knowledgeable collectors and dealers. Nick Carruth is one such dealer and Ian Bruce is another.

Finally, the easiest way to tell if your peacock ore is chalcopyrite or bornite is to take a pair of pliers and snip a corner of one edge of the specimen. If it is a golden yellow (sort of like pyrite underneath) it the mineral is chalcopyrite. If it is the same color as the surface it is bornite.

Thank you, i'll clip a piece off to find out,

I understand what your saying that new age shops aren't ideal but locally they seem a good way to collect items and do have some excellent samples at great prices

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2010 11:03    Post subject: Re: New collector questions  

When I am travelling I do go through rock shops and the New Age shops just to see what might be there. The internet is a tremendous resource for finding out about minerals, other collectors and dealers, as are local shows and museums.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: