We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 27, 2024 10:41

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Could you please help me to search details about this speciment

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

surendra

PostPosted: May 26, 2012 11:46    Post subject: Could you please help me to search details about this speciment  

Hi Experts,

I am from Sri Lanka. I found below specimen when I was walking on a river bank. I found very deep red stones in the matrix. The stone sizes are varied up to maximum 1cm. I tried to scratch on a mirror and it did. What can be these small deep red stones. Can it be pyrop garnet or some other mineral?. I have observed some mica particles also included in this specimen.

One more thing.... In another side of the specimen I found these red stones are with some blue/black coloured stone. What is this blue/black color mineral. Is it 'genesis'. Can some one tell me about the hardness of gneiss when comparing with 'Quartz'. Is it lower than 7 in Moh Scale? Please give me the answers. ( I am pretty new to geology and I am trying to get an education on this field by observing the things) Thanks in advance.

-Surendra

IMG_3198 (Copy).JPG
 Description:
Sri Lanka
 Viewed:  12668 Time(s)

IMG_3198 (Copy).JPG

IMG_3200 (Copy).JPG
 Description:
Sri Lanka
 Viewed:  12670 Time(s)

IMG_3200 (Copy).JPG

IMG_3201 (Copy).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  12667 Time(s)

IMG_3201 (Copy).JPG

nicu

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 26, 2012 14:20    Post subject: Re: Could you please help me to search details about this speciment  

Hi,
The location would help for identification. Are required to begin the hardness testing. The reddish-brown mineral like garnet this. The specimen would seem is that garnet-sillimanite schist. Hardness testing might also indicate blue corundum mineral if this scratch the garnet.
Regards,
Nicu

prcantos
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 26, 2012 15:46    Post subject: Re: Could you please help me to search details about this speciment  

Hi. I agree with Nicu, it looks like a garnet schist. Red spots are garnets (it's difficult to say the exact name without technical analysis, and even so may be impossible to decide because of isomorphism). Blue material might be kyanite if you have high pressure metamorphic rocks in Sri Lanka (I don't know it, but may be possible according to global tectonics). If this hypothesis is right, garnets might be pyrope, the most usual garnet in these high pressure facies.

surendra wrote:
Can some one tell me about the hardness of gneiss when comparing with 'Quartz'.

Gneiss is a type of rock, but quartz is a mineral. Hardness is not defined for rocks, only for minerals. Anyway, there is a relation between them, because gneiss is a metamorphic rock wiht granitic mineral composition; therefore gneiss should have some quartz.

Greetings from Spain.

Reply to topic Reply with quote

surendra

PostPosted: May 27, 2012 03:01    Post subject: Re: Could you please help me to search details about this speciment  

Thanks Pablo and Nicu for your valuble comments. I have palnned to find out the refractive index for the deep red color stones.

For blue color stones, It is NOT transparent and can easily be brocken in to pices.

Actually I removed this speciment from a very large rock (1m*10m*2m). And I have observed this red color stones were in whole area of the rock. Do you feel this rock can be a rich source for precious minerals other than garnets. Can there be corundums (Rubies). As I have observed some parts of the rock are very rich with mica.

Appreciate if some one can explain the possibilities of the other minerals can be exsisted in this rock.

Thanks again for your valuble comments given to me.

Regards,
Surendra

prcantos
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 27, 2012 03:15    Post subject: Re: Could you please help me to search details about this speciment  

Mica is also an essential mineral in schists. Corundum may appear in these rocks as an incidental mineral, you can recognize it testing its high level hardness (9 Mohs). Schists usually bear many different minerals depending on the zone: staurolite, kyanite, andalucite, garnets, cordierite, turmaline, zircon, pyrite, magnetite, chloritoid... Anyway, I am not interested in precious minerals or gems, I cannot give more information about that.

surendra

PostPosted: May 27, 2012 11:19    Post subject: Re: Could you please help me to search details about this speciment  

Thanks Pablo for the given information. I really appreciate your information and the given guidance.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Surendra

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 08:25    Post subject: Re: Could you please help me to search details about this speciment  

Hi to everybody!
Blue mineral: if so easily broken, it might be kyanite in my opinion too.
Red mineral: it could be easily detected whether a garnet (pyralspite, maybe almandine or pyrope, probably the former one), or a corundum (in this case a ruby). Put the specimen under a UV light. If not fluorescent, it is a garnet. If fluorescent (evident brilliant red colour), it is a ruby.
I hope I was useful for you.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

surendra

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 13:28    Post subject: Re: Could you please help me to search details about this speciment  

Thanks Riccardo.... Those information was very valuable for me. I have planned to get the values for Specific Gravity/ Refractive Index/ Hardness test. I think testing against the black light will definitely helpful to identify the specimen. Thanks a lot Riccardo.....

Regards,
Surendra

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 12:25    Post subject: Re: Could you please help me to search details about this speciment  

Surendra,

If the blue mineral is not very hard (you can scratch it with a knife point; hardness =5) it could likely also be apatite; blue apatite is common in pegmatites (along with quartz, feldspar, mica, garnet, beryl, etc.) and it is, I must add, not of any particular value, unless it is very nicely crystallized.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: