We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
10 Jun-02:26:56 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
09 Jun-14:17:09 Re: the mizunaka collection (Philippe Durand)
09 Jun-10:54:06 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
09 Jun-08:26:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 Jun-07:47:35 Inclusion of pezzotaite in quartz (Roger Warin)
07 Jun-23:58:23 Re: cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-23:47:05 Cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-16:01:20 Re: the mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
07 Jun-09:00:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-08:52:17 Re: the mizunaka collection (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-03:44:17 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
05 Jun-22:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-20:17:45 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 10, 2024 10:21

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jean Sendero

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 09:41    Post subject: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Hello again,

Here is a question about the provenance of the mottramite from Mapimi that came out during the Tucson show this year and was available through a handful of dealers. Still, not often seen on the market. Despite what some people are saying, I find them absolute smokers and every Mapimi collector should have at least one in their collection.

The mottramite is labeled as coming from Level 35. I never questioned this although according to the map published in the Min Rec (vol 34, No 5, p 31) and reproduced in this forum ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=8708#8708 ), we seem to be running out of levels where secondary minerals can occur. Basically, the section suggests that Piso 15 (Level 8) is as deep as it gets for secondary minerals. So, how far down is level 35?

Over the weekend, I was fortunate enough to look at more or less 50-60 specimens of the mottramite. On a couple of them, on the back side of the specimen, I was able to see some pyramidal pointy yellow wulfenite crystals to 0.5 cm in length in a limonitc matrix, without green mimetite. These are very similar, if not the same than the wulfenite that started to come out in 2009 and labelled as lugar San Juan Poniente nivel 6. I will try to add photos later.

My questions,
1) Can someone tell me where is level 35 in reference to the published section?
2) Or did the miners made up an area in order to not divulge the real provenance?
3) Is it possible that the mottramite was found while digging for wulfenite and the miners broke into the mottramite pocket?
4) Can the real provenance be the San Juan Poniente?

Cheers

Jean
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 11:29    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Jean, I have also noticed the yellow dipyramidal wulfenites on the matrix of several of these mottramites and was also struck by how similar they look to the San Juan Poniente wulfenites. I believe that is where they came from and how I will label them.

It is entirely likely that they followed the wulfenite zone into mottramite. At the Total Wreck Mine in Arizona, wulfenite gives way vertically to mottramite and there are even pseudomorphs of mottramite after wulfenite found there.

As far as I know even with the original level nomenclature the mine did not get anywhere near a Level 35.

(NOTE: These have been analyzed by several competent mineralogists and they are indeed mottramite...some were sold early on as arsenian descloizite)

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 11:52    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Thanks Peter,

you confirmed my suspicions and I will likely label them as well as San Juan Poniente. The wulfenite is really the key association. Too often the mottramite specimens have been cleaned so much that the soft limonitic matrix at the back has been completely removed.

Any thoughts on the vanadinite post?

Cheers

Jean

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 11:53    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

In my opinion it could be from San Juan Poniente the same as it could be from any other place, the Wulfenite is dipyramidal like the Wulfenites from San Juan Poniente, yes, but also they are more yellowish, corroded, and they haven't Mimetite.

The miners tend to say lies, but after Tucson Show I got several different messages from the people who said to be the discoverers of the pocket. They corrected to me the find's date (not 01/2012 but 11/2011) and they all said the same: level 35. I know is not a real proof and probably "level 35" it doesn't match the real distribution of the mine, but maybe matches some kind of informal distribution that the miners use. The guys who contacted me were very coherent and they gave to me many other details including the names of the guys who participate in the discovery.

Anyway, is a classic that all miners protect the real places of new finds, so hard to say what the truth is…

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 13:00    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

I have attached a couple of photos of a mottramite specimen with the wulfenite on the back side. I am not an expert at taking photographs but the color and form of the wulfenite are bright yellow without "corrosion". I thought the corroded ones are from the Santo Domingo area and are more blocky than pointy.

Mottramite Stalactite.JPG
 Description:
Mottramite stalactie
Level 35? or Lugar San Juan Poniente, Mina Ojuela, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico
14 x 9 x 8
After a bit of trimming and cleaning, it should look like a beauty.
Tallest stalactite is 2.5 cm in height.
 Viewed:  18292 Time(s)

Mottramite Stalactite.JPG

Mottramite with Wulfenite Closer.JPG
 Description:
Mottramite with wulfenite
Level 35? or Lugar San Juan Poniente, Mina Ojuela, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico
14 x 9 x 8
Backside of the specimen photographed above. Shows two nice dipyramidal yellow wulfenites sticking out of the limonitic matrix.
 Viewed:  18305 Time(s)

Mottramite with Wulfenite Closer.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 28, 2012 13:13    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Some Wulfenite from this find looks corroded Jean, not yours, and the color is more yellowish than orange as your specimen shows.

Again, who knows... ;-)

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 02:40    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Jean Sendero wrote:
...4) Can the real provenance be the San Juan Poniente?

Just to complete my previous comments. it was said to me that the Mottramites came out from the "South" of the mine and that the gallery to access to the area where the Mottramite was found was "América Poniente".

As with the rest of the infos I can't be sure if them are true or not, is just what they said to me...

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 08:06    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Jordi,

This is why I brought up the wulfenite. We are never sure but I am trying to improve it by looking at the associated minerals, matrix, etc......

Yesterday, I gave a good clean and trimming to the specimen above. Additional surprises came up. A large part of the matrix is actually made of massive white quartz and to top it up, I found two well formed crystals that are coated with mottramite. I will post photos later this week. I have not seen a lot of quartz from Mapimi but have some members seen some quartz associated with some wulfenite specimens from San Juan Poniente specimens?

Cheers

Jean

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 08:17    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Jean,

Are you sure is Quartz? in some of my specimens the white material is Baryte...

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 08:42    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Oh yes, very hard, glassy, no cleavage, etc....Wait for the photos. I have to go to work but when I get back this evening I will post them.

Jean

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 09:45    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Jordi,

a few quick pics. The matrix or under lying material is quartz for sure. I had to stop using the trimmer, some of the mottramite stalactites broke off at the first pop. The crystals covered by mottramite have a quartz base but the crystal terminations and shapes are not typical of quartz (see two pics below of two different specimens extracted from the original above).

Can it be a Baryte? Maybe but but I have never seen this crystal shape for Mapimi Baryte.

Has the quartz replaced Baryte? The glassy and massive appearance of the quartz makes me believe that it is not a pseudomorph of quartz after Baryte coated by mottramite.

I would greatly appreciate your opinion.

Cheers

jean

Mottramite on quartz.JPG
 Description:
Mottramite on quartz matrix
Level 35, América Poniente? or Lugar San Juan Poniente, Mina Ojuela, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico
9 x 8 x 8 cm
Same specimen than above but trimmed a little.
 Viewed:  18174 Time(s)

Mottramite on quartz.JPG

Mottramite covered quartz.JPG
 Description:
Quartz coated by Mottramite or quartz after Baryte covered by Mottramite?
Level 35, América Poniente? or Lugar San Juan Poniente, Mina Ojuela, Mapimi, Durango, Mexico
3 x 4 x 2.5 cm
During the trimming process, this puppie got exposed. The termination is unusual for a quartz. Can it be Baryte?
 Viewed:  18210 Time(s)

Mottramite covered quartz.JPG

Mottramite covered quartz specimen - Base.JPG
 Description:
Quartz coated by Mottramite or quartz after Baryte covered by Mottramite?
1.5 x 2 x 2.5 cm
Base of the crystal coated by mottramite. This is quartz but the cross section of the crystal is not typical of quartz. Can it be a Baryte?
Different specimen than the above.
 Viewed:  18252 Time(s)

Mottramite covered quartz specimen - Base.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 10:05    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Please check if this white material scratch the glass. Thank you.

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 10:48    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Jordi,

it does, and the sribber does not scratch it either. Very hard.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 11:03    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Well at this point I can't tell you nothing else. The similar material that I have is Baryte but if yours is so hard then it should be Quartz.

If you have the chance please bring it to the InnSuites in Tucson 2013 and with the specimen on my hands maybe I can tell you something more.

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 11:13    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

The Baryte you see in your specimens is more of a platy tabular form, correct?

Cheers

Jean

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 11:41    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Jean Sendero wrote:
The Baryte you see in your specimens is more of a platy tabular form, correct?

Correct.

Maybe better to continue this kind of questions via PM?

GneissWare

PostPosted: May 29, 2012 14:14    Post subject: Re: The Mottramite with associated wulfenite - Ojuela Mine  

Jordi, Perhaps posting a photo of the specimen with Baryte would be helpful.

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: