We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
20 May-22:03:46 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
20 May-20:45:03 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
20 May-19:11:50 The mizunaka collection - stalactite (Am Mizunaka)
20 May-15:43:58 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:37:59 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:32:02 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:24:04 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
19 May-14:28:05 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
19 May-13:04:59 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 May-12:31:54 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
19 May-08:49:12 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
19 May-08:08:17 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
19 May-02:34:57 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 23, 2024 05:20

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Necessary help to identify minerals

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

jorge santos garcia

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 05:36    Post subject: Necessary help to identify minerals  

Sean

If you will call it selenite because it's the name someone has given to you, whatever we can tell you in here, why are you asking our opinion? ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=506 )

If you don't want to make a little scratch or put a little drop of acid to try to know for shure what it is, I believe you are not really interested in answers.

There are hundreds of people who read these posts, but only two or three spend their time trying to help you. They are really great experts who have for shure other things to do, so you should be gratefull and listen what they can teach you.

Jorge
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tracy

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 11:42    Post subject: Re: Necessary help to identify minerals  

Why is everyone being so mean to Sean? We have had postings appear before where the only information available was what the seller had told the buyer, or where the owner came across something with no information on what it is or where it came from. In cases like this we haven't for the most part been able to help provide answers, but why be so nasty about it this time? Just because Sean believes in crystal healing and as such was unwilling to do scratch and acid testing? He is studying crystallography, trying to learn just as we all are...and in my opinion deserves/deserved better treatment from FMF regulars. A simple "sorry we can't help you" would have been sufficient.

Debbie Woolf

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 12:40    Post subject: Re: Necessary help to identify minerals  

I'm with Tracy on this one, regardless of one's beliefs I was taught it doesn't hurt to be polite & friendly, this site & Mindat have strong (rebuffed) views about Metaphysical stuff but why does it deter you from helping someone identify a mineral ? It's not time wasting if you've taught someone something, I've got Selenite & I will always call it that first as that's whats stuck in my mind because a dealer told me it was Selenite but I will then go onto say its also widely known as Gypsum in the mineral world.

Obviously Sean & others will have to learn that if not willing to do the tests then the best hope is a guess/estimate.

Linda Smith

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 13:15    Post subject: Re: Necessary help to identify minerals  

Fortunately we have scienitific methods to determine the identification of certain minerals. In wanting to identify a mineral, it sometimes requires using tried and true methods to do so. As a mineralogist I welcome the wisdom of the people on this forum to steer me in the right direction. I feel bad that some people have misinterpreted the help of John as rude. Sometimes we do get weary of all of the hype in regards to the mystical powers of commom minerals that we use everyday in our lives. If quartz is your healing powers, you are surrounded with quartz or the component parts in your everyday windows. go figure.

Tracy

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 14:07    Post subject: Re: Necessary help to identify minerals  

For the record I was not speaking out about John's posts, after the original lashing out he was extremely helpful. It's just that at some point the thread became much less friendly than at the beginning. We should not be telling any newcomer to be mindful of wasting anybody's time by asking beginner questions.

I know that 99%+ of the FMF readers take a negative view on mineral metaphysics but don't believe it's appropriate to ridicule/berate people for what they believe in. FMF has a good track record for being friendly and accomodating and it saddens me to follow this thread and to see how unkindly Sean was treated. Nuff said from me on this topic.

- Tracy
(and thanks Debbie)

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2009 14:09    Post subject: Re: Necessary help to identify minerals  

Although I am generally polite to mystics, and try to help with their mineralogical questions, I can certainly understand John's frustration with them. The reason why scientists get annoyed with those who believe in the mystical healing energies of crystals is that the concept is demonstrably, incontrovertibly, utter nonsense; easily provable to be bulls' kaka. At best it is the "placebo effect" and nothing more.

Let's compare with the Flat Earth theory. There was a time long ago when humans weren't quite sure whether the Earth was flat or spheroidal, and it would have been polite to listen to opposing points of view. Nowadays only a blithering idiot would still claim the Earth was flat, and polite folk are no longer under any obligation to give the Flat Earth theory "equal time".

jorge santos garcia

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2009 07:44    Post subject: Re: Necessary help to identify minerals  

If you are speaking about what I've write above, let me tell you I don't meant to be unfriendly, and in my post there's not a single mention about mine or others believes.

People can talk and discuss their ideas without been rude or insultuous. At the end, I will keep my opinion or I will accept yours if you gave me the data and proofs that make me change my mind.

My understanding of what Sean said is: "I want your help but I would not do anything to help you to help me and whatever you may decide about this mineral species, for me it is selenite, because that's the name they gave me".

So, why is he asking for help? I believe it is a reasonable doubt, and that's what I've asked him, in a simple way.

To answer to some questions one has to search for information and that means spending time. I'm gratefull to someone that does that without knowing me, even if he thinks my question is basic, and I've learn a lot with them. So, I have never ridicularized people for their doubts in these foruns, 'au contraire', I'm glad to help them when I can.

I believe you have misunderstand my words. Having doubts about someone's will to learn cannot be confused with rudeness or unkindly behaviour.

Jorge

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: