We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 01:20

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2020
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2020 12:41    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Only 2 weeks, Bob? Many of the European dealers I know are here for 3 weeks, or more, and I‘m here for 5 weeks this year. It seems to keep on expanding with every decade. As my late mentor Rock Currier said, "Tucson Week was fun, Tucson Month is less fun" - but for me personally it‘s still fun. (I may change my mind after I get older and grumpier.)

As for costs, back in the early 1990s, when I was an impoverished dealer from Bolivia and Rock advised me to come to Tucson, I was horrified by the potential expenses. Rock‘s response, in a nutshell, was that yes, expenses were very high, but sales were several times higher than at any other venue in the world so, in spite of the high expenses, for most dealers Tucson was the most profitable time of the year. Rock said, "If a dealer can‘t make it in Tucson, he won‘t make it anywhere".

And there are plenty of people who do successfully do Tucson on a low budget, dealers who share space with others and split costs, and people who stay in outlying communities like Casa Grande or Benson with cheap hotels and commute into Tucson, or who sleep on friends‘ couches, or camp out in the desert in a tent or rented motor home.... Not to recommend the really really REALLY "low end" collectors sleeping in their cars in the HTCC parking lot and washing their clothes at 2 a.m. in the hotel‘s hot tub (yes, on one night of insomnia I saw that) - Give them an A+ for mineralogical enthusiasm.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2020 16:56    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Hello Alfredo,
I’ve never seen Tucson because I don’t travel much.
In your opinion, what are the main differences between Tucson, Munich, Sainte-Marie?
Which show do you prefer? The one where you have the most contacts, or the one where mineralogy is most expressive?
Because in fact, we often find identical specimens on these different shows.
Thank you.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2020 19:06    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

For those going to Tucson, protecting your health while there and after your return home should be taken seriously. Being a retired MD pathologist, I follow the flu season and other disease outbreaks with some interest.

Unfortunately, coincidentally, the Tucson Show happens to take place during the heart of the flu season. This year there is both strain A of the flu virus and now, newly appearing is strain B which this year's vaccine was not anticipating. To make matters more complicated, different strains predominate in different parts of the world. Americans vaccinated for strain A might come onto contact with foreign dealers/visitors with strain B.
Then to make matters even worse is the sudden appearance, mostly in China, is the dangerous Corona virus.

Even vaccinated, chances of getting the flu are significant. Chances of getting Corona virus infection, maybe from a Chinese dealer or visitor, which mimics the flu in its early stages, is very remote.

Bottom line, especially if you are an older person or have another chronic condition, avoid shaking everyones hands, avoid close contact in crowds, and if you have A FEVER with your congestion, it might be more than a cold.....seek medical advice.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! Bob

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2020 15:06    Post subject: To get your bearings in Tucson  

To get your bearings in Tucson 😏

The best summary is, no doubt, the summary of the XPO Press: https://xpopress.com/

The best description of the main Shows is on the last (number 54) Tom Moore's column: What's New in the Mineral World :

and here you have a map of the new emerging area around the Oracle road:

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2020 22:16    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

What Jordi provided is a good summary of the venues in and around the Mineral City / Top Gem area. One addition and one comment:

- just south of the Mineral and Fossil Co-op and just to the west of the old Executive (Fortuna) Inn (where Drachman Street intersects Oracle) is another grouping of tents that house some good mineral dealers - I think it used to be associated with the Arizona Mineral and Fossil Show when it was at the Executive Inn but the dealers at this venue still exist. There's ROC3000, Malcolm Alter, Ahmed (Moroccan digger) and at least two Chinese dealers and others. Worth a trip.

- I chatted with Tomasz Praszkier of Spirifer Minerals the other day - apparently he is the promoter for the Mineral City show. He said that in addition to the three buildings that are being used for this year, there are to be three additional ones constructed over the summer specifically to house mineral dealers - many of which are departing the HTCC/Inn Suites. These will use the same business model - dealers rent the space for the entire year so the space is not only a selling room but also long term storage of specimens, display case, tables, etc.

If this is indeed the case, I think the answer to Jordi's previous query about where the future the of Tucson Mineral shows will be focused is answered.

bob

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2020 22:50    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Roger Warin wrote:
...In your opinion, what are the main differences between Tucson, Munich, Sainte-Marie?...

Roger, there are of course the logistical difficulties, with Munich and Sainte Marie being more compact, so one can easily get around the show on foot, whereas Tucson is somewhere between 40 and 60 different shows running more-or-less concurrently and spread out over 20 km, so it is quite limiting to be there without a vehicle.

But for me the most important difference is that in most shows the serious dealers and collectors believe one MUST be there on opening day because a few hours after the show opens all the good stuff is gone! But in Tucson that is certainly not true, because new things are arriving from around the world and getting unpacked throughout the show(s), so whatever day one arrives there are always new things to find. That doesn‘t happen so much at other shows because they are simply too short. I always get amused by the dealers who arrive in Tucson to shop a few days before the show officially opens (there are always many dealers open several days before the "official" opening) and who then on "opening day" haughtily declare that the "good stuff" is gone, they‘ve bought it all, or at least seen it, and now they go home. That is silly of course, because on "opening day" a lot of good things have not yet arrived or been put out for sale yet.

As for which shows are more seriously mineralogical, I won‘t give any opinion. In my observations, Tucson, Munich, SMAM, Denver all have the same mixture of everything: serious mineral booths crowded with experienced collectors and mineralogists, high end booths dedicated to "investment-grade" specimens with lots of zeros in the prices, "general public"-type booths with colorful polished things for decoration and jewelry, mystical nonsense booths with "healing stones" to realign your chakras... etc. I challenge anyone to prove that the "mix" is different at any one show or other; to me it looks the same mix at all of them. We often hear collectors bemoan the proliferation of non-mineral booths at shows, but we need to remember that there aren‘t enough purist mineral collectors in the world to pay for these big show venues. If only "serious" mineral dealers were allowed to sell, then all big shows would quickly shrink to small shows, and the budget for advertising and special exhibitions would shrink drastically, and a much smaller number of people would ever be introduced to mineral collecting.

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2020 05:07    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Alfredo, thank you for your very detailed opinion.
It corresponds to the one I received from European visitors.
However, you pointed out an important thing that I didn't know: the Tucson show is a dynamic event over time. And this vibration lasts so long that many new things are unpacked over time.
There is no beginning, and probably no end if not the one imposed by tiredness.

RayStraw

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2020 15:53    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

I have some ideas about using user posters to help fundraising for FMF or other mineral groups.

I'll be in Tucson from January 30 thru February 4.

Could we meet if you are available with those dates?

Best Regards,
Raymon Straw

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2020 16:00    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

For the more adventurous, getting around Tucson can cost very little. There is a bike co-op, Bicus, across the tracks and about 4 blocks north of the Hotel Tucson. They rent bikes for
$35/ wk. That eliminates parking problems and gets you to the close in venues as fast or faster. To get to the Westward Look, the bike can be put on a public bus, leaving only a mile and a half to bike.
For seniors, a pass can be bought for $3, making rides only $1. The Tucson Sun Transit is a really good bus service with two lines even to the airport.
If you want to take friends out to eat, get a rental car.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2020 17:42    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

The Mineral City crowd has issued a flyer showing where all their dealers are. as I mentioned previously, there are 3 additional buildings planned for next year's show.

bob

IMG_2749.JPG
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
Mineral City Show flyer
 Viewed:  23409 Time(s)

IMG_2749.JPG

IMG_2749b.JPG
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
Min City flyer focused
 Viewed:  23454 Time(s)

IMG_2749b.JPG

IMG_2749a.JPG
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
Min City flyer focused
 Viewed:  23339 Time(s)

IMG_2749a.JPG

IMG_2749c.JPG
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
Min City flyer focused
 Viewed:  23356 Time(s)

IMG_2749c.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2020 18:00    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

I visited Wendy's Minerals (they were one of only a few who were open) and there were two new finds of interest:
- pinkish octahedral fluorites on and off matrix from Huanggang. The single xls are floaters.

- for Xianghualing, in an attempt to imitate Dalnegorsk, clear, light green cubic fluorite. the one in the photos has all 8 corners showing and a nice phantom in the center. This one now resides in my collection.

much more to follow.
bob

IMG_2740.JPG
 Locality:
Huanggang Mines, Hexigten Banner (Kèshíkèténg Qí), Chifeng (Ulanhad), Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China
 Dimensions: about 12cm across
 Description:
octahedral pinkish fluorites on matrix
 Viewed:  23421 Time(s)

IMG_2740.JPG

IMG_2744.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Huanggang Mines, Hexigten Banner (Kèshíkèténg Qí), Chifeng (Ulanhad), Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, China
 Dimensions: about 15cm high
 Description:
octahedral pinkish fluorite on matrix
 Viewed:  23448 Time(s)

IMG_2744.JPG

IMG_2742.JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: various
 Description:
octahedral pinkish fluorite floaters
 Viewed:  23396 Time(s)

IMG_2742.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG
 Locality:
Xianghualing Mine, Xianghualing Sn-polymetallic ore field, Linwu, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China
 Dimensions: 2.4cm across top xl edge
 Description:
Clear light green cubic Fluorite from Xianghualing
 Viewed:  23352 Time(s)

IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2748.JPG
 Locality:
Xianghualing Mine, Xianghualing Sn-polymetallic ore field, Linwu, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China
 Dimensions: 2.4cm across top xl edge
 Description:
Clear light green cubic Fluorite from Xianghualing
 Viewed:  23347 Time(s)

IMG_2748.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2020 00:00    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

I saw evidence of two new finds since the last Tucson show - both from Chihuahua, MX. There are so many dealers yet to open that I've not yet seen what's being offered as top end pieces but will report back as soon as I can find some.

- Wulfenite and mimetite from La Morita mine. I saw a handful of specimens that look like thick versions of Rowley Mine material including the variety of mimetite in association with the Wulfenite. one photo attached. I think these will be focused in the Collector's Edge cases as I hear their team did the field work.

- Vanadinite from Chihuahua (San Carlos?) - Top Gem had about 15 flats of these priced very reasonably but were mainly smallish prism xls in associating with (and covered by) calcite rhombs. a photo of typical material is attached but I need to search out the trophies.

and - as a side note - all rooms in the three new Mineral City buildings planned for next year are sold. This area will clearly be a mineral focal point for the future.

bob

IMG_2754a.JPG
 Mineral: Wulfenite and Mimetite
 Locality:
La Morita Mine, Municipio Ascención, Chihuahua, Mexico
 Dimensions: 5cm
 Description:
New find of Mexican wulfenite and mimetite
 Viewed:  22948 Time(s)

IMG_2754a.JPG

IMG_2767a.JPG
 Mineral: Vanadinite and Calcite
 Locality:
San Carlos Mine (Apex Mine), San Carlos, Municipio Manuel Benavides, Chihuahua, Mexico
 Dimensions: about 10 cm
 Description:
I think this is new material from the San Carlos Mine in Chihuahua. I could not find more locality details, but this is similar to past material.
 Viewed:  22945 Time(s)

IMG_2767a.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2020 04:16    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

The new red fluorites from Huanggang are really awesome!

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2020 23:38    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Tobi wrote:
The new red fluorites from Huanggang are really awesome!

YES - they are wonderful and are pretty common around the show right now - a bit expensive but they are indeed PINK OCTAHEDRAL FLUORITES - most are floaters or floater groups with minor attachments - and very few - very few - are on matrix. The ones on matrix in Wendy's room are the only ones I saw but there are no doubt others. And - they are all included with what I believe are byssolite needles.

The photo attached is from the Mineral City room of Minerama. This dealership from France also has some wonderful Congo dioptases many with pyromorphites and mimetites in association, some Mashamba West malachites in association with cerussite, many Vivianites from Bolivia, Brazilian heliodors - and on and on. A visit to this dealership is required viewing and they are in three places - Mineral City, Top Gem annex (both venues are "everything keystone) and at the HTCC where the discount is 65% for everything.

bob

IMG_2793.JPG
 Mineral: Pink Fluorites
 Locality:
 Description:
LOTS of wonderful pink octahedral fluorites from Huanggang in the Mineral City room of Minerama.
 Viewed:  22488 Time(s)

IMG_2793.JPG

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2020 23:59    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Here is a large specimen of the fluorite on matrix found at the Red Lion Hotel.

IMG_1843 (2).JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 45x25x8 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  22339 Time(s)

IMG_1843 (2).JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2020 00:21    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

OK - after complaining for the last 5 years that "there's nothing new" in Tucson - this year is making up for it. I already mentioned the octahedral pink fluorites from Huanggang but there are also:
- Wulfenites and mimetites from La Morita mine, Mexico (mainly in Collector's Edge)
- Vanadinites with rhomb calcites from San Carlos, Mexico (Dennis Beals and Top Gem)
- Bournonites from Bolivia - many on matrix and lustrous (Crystal Springs)
- Vivianites from Bolivia (Minerama and Crystal Springs)
- Pyromorphites from Bunker Hill Idaho (not newly dug from the ground but dug from a dusty garage - mainly at Collector's Edge)
- Dioptases from Congo many with pyromorphite and mimetite (mainly from Minerama)
- giant Sulfur crystals - these came out last year but are at bargain prices for quality pieces (mainly from Minerama)
- incredible double terminated scepter quartzes - amethyst and smoky mixed - from Zimbabwe in Paul Botha's room (and only in his room) at Mineral City.
- Spinel twinned fluorites in purple/green/others in Clive Quiet's room at the Top Gem annex
- "Chinese Tanzanites" - that came out a year or so ago - aka deep purple/blue fluorites are not really new but the prices seem more reasonable - get them now while the getting is good.
- the usual great haul of Rogerley fluorites - and some nice ones in the Crystal Classics double keystone room of specimens left over from last year.

and - there are no doubt others I left out - AND THE SHOW HASN'T EVEN STARTED YET (at least officially) but will update later.

So, you will NOT hear me complain about the lack of new and exciting specimens at this year's show.

bob

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2020 00:44    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Looking thru the photos I took today, there are two other somewhat unique items I saw in the Minerama room at Mineral City (photos follow):
- Autunite - some of the best matrix pieces I've seen from Senhora da Assunção Mine, Viseu District, Portugal

- Kobyashevite (?) from Ojuela (this mine never ceases to amaze me)

bob

IMG_2791.JPG
 Mineral: Autunite
 Locality:
Senhora da Assunção Mine, Aldeia Nova, Ferreira de Aves, Sátão, Viseu District, Portugal
 Description:
in the Mineral City room of Minerama
 Viewed:  22404 Time(s)

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG
 Mineral: Autunite
 Locality:
Senhora da Assunção Mine, Aldeia Nova, Ferreira de Aves, Sátão, Viseu District, Portugal
 Description:
in the Min City room of Minerama
 Viewed:  22298 Time(s)

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2784.JPG
 Mineral: Kobyashevite
 Locality:
Ojuela Mine, La Campana vein, level 7, Mapimí, Municipio Mapimí, Durango, Mexico
 Description:
in the Min City room of Minerama
 Viewed:  22330 Time(s)

IMG_2784.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2020 02:00    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

BOB K, Thanks for your continuing Tucson updates with all your great photos!
I head out there this coming Sunday or Monday.

For me, one interesting takeaway on your new finds report, is that there seems to be little or nothing new from the US. Not too surprising.

For those collecting worldwide minerals, the positive response could be..... Oh!, this is great, all the new finds! Or it could be the opposite, Oh great.....with all these new finds,
there continues to be the never ending supply of new minerals!
Specifically, for US collectors, the negative response might be, Oh great!.....nothing new again this year. Or it could be more positive. Great, nothing new again this year,
so I'll just look for some interesting (recycled) specimens.

With my narrowly focused interests, I don't have to be too concerned with new finds, I just continue my search for high quality Indiana minerals.....they are out there somewhere!
BOB

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2020 21:59    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Many more rooms are opening - still lots to go yet - and I found yet another new interesting find - rutile needles by the bundle. These were in the room of Jean Jacques (JJ) Abello. He had maybe 30+ specimens covered with the needles. These are from Ibiajara, Brazil near the famous Novo Horizonte find but these are pretty much without the hematite "star" at the centers. Some photos attached - and hopefully more new finds to come.

bob

IMG_2799.JPG
 Mineral: Rutile
 Locality:
Ibitiara, Bahia, Northeast Region, Brazil
 Description:
long rutile needles from Brazil
 Viewed:  21943 Time(s)

IMG_2799.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  21937 Time(s)

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2800.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  21941 Time(s)

IMG_2800.JPG

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2020 22:14    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2020  

Today was opening day for Top Gem and as usual lots of new and excellent material was available as was a wonderful Mexican lunch with a cold beer all the while being entertained by a mariachi band. A wonderful way to spend a day.

Jason New kicked things off by announcing that his father Mike is still in charge - although physically restricted - and that there is no truth to the rumors that Top Gem was closing their doors and going out of business - and the material that was offered made this clear.

There were four tables full of Vera Cruz amethysts (kind of pale purple but quite nice specimens) but the main attraction was a huge selection of Vanadinites from Morocco. I know - YAWN!! - but these pieces consisted of HUGE crystals mainly red/orange on one side and brownish on the other - and the prices were MUCH better than you will see from any of the Moroccan dealers. A feeding frenzy ensued and it was a bit disappointing to see a few of these great pieces get damaged by the crowd.

The were also some higher end specimens from the recent Vanadinite/Calcite find at San Carlos although they were a bit brown and somewhat dinged for the price. Jason suggested looking elsewhere as he and his team were unable to get the higher end pieces. Will keep looking.

I should also mention two excellent TRUE keystone sales by two higher end dealers that also resulted in small feeding frenzies. Wendell minerals had half of their room in Mineral City listed as keystone - some of the aqua prices were circa 1970's - and Luis Barillo has a full room of keystone pieces at his room at the HTCC. A bonus with Luis - buy $1000 or greater and it's 60% off. Easy to do with the quality of pieces he is noted for.

LOTS more to come including specimen photos that I just don't have time for right now.

bob

IMG_2803.JPG
 Description:
Panoramic view of the lunch line up at Top Gem The lunch is hosted by Estes Forwarding Worldwide (EFW).
 Viewed:  21536 Time(s)

IMG_2803.JPG

IMG_2805.JPG
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
Mariach Band entertaining the clients. The lunch is hosted by Estes Forwarding Worldwide (EFW).
 Viewed:  21551 Time(s)

IMG_2805.JPG

IMG_2806.JPG
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
Ahh - finally the food table. The lunch is hosted by Estes Forwarding Worldwide (EFW).
 Viewed:  21545 Time(s)

IMG_2806.JPG

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 6
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  

Jump to: