We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-20:17:45 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 05, 2024 09:29

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Matt's Tucson info

Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 22:04    Post subject: Matt's Tucson info  

I have been in Tucson since last Sat and have seen a lot of minerals, including those of our excellent host Jordi. Attached below are some photos of stuff I have bought. Please excuse the photos - they were done in the bathroom of my room at the El Conquistador.

Considering that i am enjoying an adult beverage at present, you should be aware that the order of my posting is seen here from the bottom to top. As I am sure many of you have found out when posting pictures here, this website puts the first photo you post at the end of your posting. It is hard for me to put my pictures up in reverse order so please bear with me.

Regarding the Volodarsk-Volynskii "aquamarine," I showed it to one of the contributors to the minrec article last December and he told me that it may not have been heat treated because of the color. He said that the although aqua from this locality is very rare, it does occur. The material from this locality all started out aquamarine but then slowly turned to heliodor with natural irradiation. The miners in this area will take material with poor heliodor color and heat it up to 300C to turn it back into aquamarine, and this material is typically a deeper blue. i am not trying to say that my piece is true aquamarine. I don't know. In any case, I consider the set to be interesting and fun because they look cool together, one of them may be a real aqua, and even if it isn't it shows what the material looked like before it was irradiated by mother nature.

IMG_0137.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  8560 Time(s)

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0136.JPG
 Description:
Next up is a Mundo Nuevo Hubnerite I got from the same fellow who has the fluorites. The largest Hubnerite is 3.5 x 2.8 cm and the whole piece is 11 x 10 cm. The xtals are fairly lustrous, and all are terminated and all but one is complete. The bottom (not pictured) is a cast of several fluorites that have dissolved away.
 Viewed:  8558 Time(s)

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG
 Description:
Backlit photo of Mundo Nuevo fluorite.
 Viewed:  8550 Time(s)

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0133.JPG
 Description:
Close up of top. The entire piece is about 10 cm high.
 Viewed:  8530 Time(s)

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG
 Description:
Next up is a Mundo Nuevo Fluorite. This almost colorless grouping of complicated octahedrons formed around a quartz xtal that gets lost in the center of the piece.
 Viewed:  8579 Time(s)

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG
 Description:
Top view of Paprok Tourmaline.
 Viewed:  8544 Time(s)

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG
 Description:
Next up is Paprok tourmaline that I was drawn to because it has fantastic luster and is absolutely pristine above the bottom terminations. The largest xtal is 8.8 cm high. I asked Jeff Scoville to photo this one (I don't have his photo yet),
 Viewed:  8546 Time(s)

IMG_0130.JPG

IMG_0129.JPG
 Description:
A "matched pair" of beryls from Volodarsk-Volynskii. The aqua is 6.7 cm high and is a pale blue (blue-er than the photo but pale enough that it may not have been heat treated). The heliodor is 6.2 cm high and was in the John Barlow collection.
 Viewed:  8563 Time(s)

IMG_0129.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2010 22:27    Post subject: Re: Matt's Tucson info  

Last up is another of the Mundo Nuevo fluorites, this time a cluster made almost exclusively of two octahedrons with a pale but distinct green color. The bottom of the piece is broken but above that all the fluorite is pristine. The dealer said that this piece has the most saturated green color he has seen from the locality. It is 12 x 10 cm.

IMG_0140.JPG
 Description:
Backlit with my flashlight.
 Viewed:  8526 Time(s)

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  8530 Time(s)

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0138.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  8513 Time(s)