We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 May-17:22:08 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-17:19:10 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-16:25:37 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
23 May-16:04:00 Re: help to identify a find (Jordi Fabre)
23 May-15:37:59 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Pete Richards)
23 May-15:22:39 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Pete Richards)
23 May-14:49:48 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-14:27:55 Re: help to identify a find (Steveb)
23 May-14:19:58 Re: help to identify a find (Dany Mabillard)
23 May-14:17:51 Re: help to identify a find (Josele)
23 May-13:00:07 Help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-12:59:21 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
23 May-08:00:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 24, 2024 00:08

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Samuel's Collection
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lumaes

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2011 01:58    Post subject: COVELLITE Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is another of my “ore” minerals, and in my opinion it is the most beautiful sulphide in the mineral kingdom. It is Covellite and its simple formula of CuS hides just how interesting and complex its structure is. It has the most amazing blue colour coupled with a beautiful iridescence. I have tried to capture these features in the photos below. The matrix is quartz (I surmise) with abundant pyrite. It hails from the Leonard Mine, Butte, Butte District, Silver Bow County, Montana, U.S.A. It is 5 x 5 x 5 cm. It was a gift from Jack Lowell.

COVELLITE 1.jpg
 Description:
Covellite, Leonard Mine, Butte, Butte District, Silver Bow County, Montana, U.S.A. 5 x 5 x 5 cm.
 Viewed:  34628 Time(s)

COVELLITE 1.jpg

COVELLITE 2.jpg
 Description:
Covellite, Leonard Mine, Butte, Butte District, Silver Bow County, Montana, U.S.A. 5 x 5 x 5 cm.
 Viewed:  34676 Time(s)

COVELLITE 2.jpg

COVELLITE 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34726 Time(s)

COVELLITE 3.jpg

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2011 02:28    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Below is another piece from Peru. It is a small plate of Pyrite with Tetrahedrite. There is a large Pyrite crystal to the right and a few smaller ones scattered around the piece. It also shows a latter generation of microcrystalline Pyrite. The luster on these Pyrites is just amazing – mirror like reflections. Beautiful! It hails from the Quiruvilca Mine, Quiruvilca District, Santiago de Chuco Province, La Libertad Department, Peru. It is 9 s 6 x 3 cm.

I have ordered some Dremel parts - wood routers and I have been out shopping for some nice wood and a few acrylic sheets. Once I have got all my stuff together I am going to make a few really top notch wooden stands and when I am happy with the finished product I will post the plans, perhaps even a video so other may be able to duplicate my work.

PYRITE Q 1.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite with Tetrahedrite. Quiruvilca Mine, Quiruvilca District, Santiago de Chuco Province, La Libertad Department, Peru. 9 s 6 x 3 cm.
 Viewed:  34610 Time(s)

PYRITE Q 1.jpg

PYRITE Q 2.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite with Tetrahedrite. Quiruvilca Mine, Quiruvilca District, Santiago de Chuco Province, La Libertad Department, Peru. It is 9 s 6 x 3 cm.
 Viewed:  34628 Time(s)

PYRITE Q 2.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2011 05:51    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Below is a book I have in my technical library and one I can highly recommend. It is a book every serious mineral collector should possess. It is the holy grail of Inorganic texts. The left hand photo shows the title and authors and the right hand one shows a nice discussion on Realgar and Orpiment. Sadly Dr Alan Sharpe passed away a few years ago. The structure of Realgar is interesting and gives clues as to why it is a very unstable mineral in the presence of visible light . Look at the cage structure and the consider the stability of the As-As and As-S bonds. To get the full story I suggest getting the book.

HOLY GRAIL.jpg
 Description:
INORGANIC CHEMISTRY
 Viewed:  34583 Time(s)

HOLY GRAIL.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2011 20:14    Post subject: Crocoite and friends - Samuel's Collection  

Below is another of my “ore” minerals, and this one is perhaps among the most colourful minerals you can get. I have included two close-up shots. Regrettably it is also very fragile and there will always be few broken crystals. It hails from the Adelaide Mine, Zeehan Mining District, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia. 10 x 7 x 7 cm.

It is also an interesting mineral because other members of the same type PbMO4 exist. Chromium belongs to a class of elements in the periodic table called group six. The other members of this group include Molybdenum, Tungsten and the artificial element Seaborgium. The naturally occurring elements form what is known as a “triad” and members of this triad have similar physical and chemical properties but also a lot of differences too. Below is a table showing the other mineral members of this triad – Wulfenite and Stolzite. Compare other element groups, Copper, Silver, Gold and Sphalerite with Greenockite and Cinnabar. There are many more examples too! This is what I try to do with my collection – base it on the Periodic Table of the Elements.

CROCOITE 1.JPG
 Description:
Crocoite, Adelaide Mine, Zeehan Mining District, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia. 10 x 7 x 7 cm.
 Viewed:  34503 Time(s)

CROCOITE 1.JPG

CROCOITE 2.jpg
 Description:
Crocoite, Adelaide Mine, Zeehan Mining District, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia. 10 x 7 x 7 cm.
 Viewed:  34502 Time(s)

CROCOITE 2.jpg

CROCOITE CLOSE 1.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  34491 Time(s)

CROCOITE CLOSE 1.JPG

CROCOITE CLOSE 2.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  34490 Time(s)

CROCOITE CLOSE 2.JPG

Group 6.jpg
 Description:
Crocoite and family
 Viewed:  34547 Time(s)

Group 6.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2011 23:00    Post subject: Cassiterites - Samuel's Collection  

This is another of my Chinese Cassiterites but this one comes from Yaogangxian. It is composed of very sharp Cassiterites with Arsenopyrite, mica and quartz. I surmise the Cassiterites are twinned. It hails from the Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 9 x 6 x 4 cm.

CASSY.jpg
 Description:
Cassiterites with Arsenopyrite, mica and quartz. Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 9 x 6 x 4 cm.
 Viewed:  34496 Time(s)

CASSY.jpg

CASSY UP CLOSE 0.jpg
 Description:
Cassiterites with Arsenopyrite, mica and quartz. Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 9 x 6 x 4 cm.
 Viewed:  34502 Time(s)

CASSY UP CLOSE 0.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 02:23    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

It is perhaps appropriate that I post the picture of my Sphalerite and Arsenopyrite combo that I had analyzed some months ago. It is a pretty piece and the sphalerite has the most unusual, yet natural bluish colouration. It hails from Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 8 x 5 x 2 cm. It is one I will probably give away to help another collector build up their suite of Chinese minerals.

SPHALERITE ARSENOPYRITE.jpg
 Description:
Sphalerite and Arsenopyrite, Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 8 x 5 x 2 cm.
 Viewed:  34555 Time(s)

SPHALERITE ARSENOPYRITE.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 03:19    Post subject: Chinese Calcite - Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is another Chinese Calcite, this time on Pyrite. The habit of the calcite crystals is reminiscent of those from the Cumbrian Iron Field in England. It is a large stalagmite of calcite but in the lower right hand side there are a few individual crystals that have the most amazing light yellow hue and they are very gemmy. It hails from Shangbao Pyrite Mine, Leiyang County, Hengyang Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 14 x 6 x 5 cm.

CALCITE PYRITE 1.jpg
 Description:
Calcite on Pyrite, Shangbao Pyrite Mine, Leiyang County, Hengyang Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 14 x 6 x 5 cm.
 Viewed:  34494 Time(s)

CALCITE PYRITE 1.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 04:55    Post subject: Chinese Stibnite - Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is one of my Stibnite clusters. With this photograph I decided to go “retro” and post it as a “black-white” image. Stibnite has a lot of sparkle but not much colour and I had a hard time reducing the amount of reflection that came off the crystals. The crystals are like long slender mirrors. It hails from Xikuangshan Mine, Lengshuijiang, Loudi Prefecture, Jiangxi Province, China. It is about 14 x 14 x 9 cm and there is a small amount of matrix present.

STIBNITE L.jpg
 Description:
Stibnite, Xikuangshan Mine, Lengshuijiang, Loudi Prefecture, Jiangxi Province, China. 14 x 14 x 9 cm
 Viewed:  34501 Time(s)

STIBNITE L.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 23:01    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is another of my Elba hematite specimens. It is again microcrystalline hematite with pockets full of the most lusterous hematite crystals. The crystals occur as thick blades and the largest is about 1.8cm in width. There are also some clusters of milky quartz crystals. It hails from the Terranera Mine, Port Azzurro, Isola d' Elba, Livorno Province, Tuscany, Italy. 12 x 9 x 9 cm.

TERRA HEM 1.jpg
 Description:
Hematite with Quartz. Terranera Mine, Port Azzurro, Isola d' Elba, Livorno Province, Tuscany, Italy. 12 x 9 x 9 cm.
 Viewed:  34316 Time(s)

TERRA HEM 1.jpg

TERRA HEM 2.jpg
 Description:
Terranera Mine, Port Azzurro, Isola d' Elba, Livorno Province, Tuscany, Italy. 12 x 9 x 9 cm.
 Viewed:  34353 Time(s)

TERRA HEM 2.jpg

TERRA HEM CLOSE UP.jpg
 Description:
Terranera Mine, Port Azzurro, Isola d' Elba, Livorno Province, Tuscany, Italy. 12 x 9 x 9 cm.
 Viewed:  34346 Time(s)

TERRA HEM CLOSE UP.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 00:49    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is another of my Florence Mine hematites – variety Specularite. The photo does not reveal its true beauty. It consists of thousands of blades of the most lusterous hematite and to show this I have included a few close-up photos of the crystal groups. It hails from the Florence Mine, Egremont, West Cumberland Iron Field, North Western Region (Cumberland), Cumbria, England, United Kingdom. 14 x 10 x 1.5 cm.

SPECKY 1.jpg
 Description:
Hematite, Florence Mine, Egremont, West Cumberland Iron Field, North Western Region (Cumberland), Cumbria, England, United Kingdom. 14 x 10 x 1.5 cm.
 Viewed:  34327 Time(s)

SPECKY 1.jpg

SPECKY 2.jpg
 Description:
Hematite, Florence Mine, Egremont, West Cumberland Iron Field, North Western Region (Cumberland), Cumbria, England, United Kingdom. 14 x 10 x 1.5 cm.
 Viewed:  34305 Time(s)

SPECKY 2.jpg

SPECKY 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34302 Time(s)

SPECKY 3.jpg

SPECKY 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34331 Time(s)

SPECKY 4.jpg

SPECKY 5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34323 Time(s)

SPECKY 5.jpg

SPECKY 6.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34293 Time(s)

SPECKY 6.jpg

SPECKY 7.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34317 Time(s)

SPECKY 7.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 03:16    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Feature below is one of my very first Chinese minerals. It is a small plate of arsenopyrite crystals on arsenopyrite. The crystals have the most amazing metallic luster and very nice form. I find the “www.spam.org comb” habit on some of the crystals absolutely enchanting. It hails from Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 7 x 6 x 1.5 cm.

ARSENO YAO FRONT.jpg
 Description:
Arsenopyrite. Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 7 x 6 x 1.5 cm.
 Viewed:  34300 Time(s)

ARSENO YAO FRONT.jpg

ARSENO YAO BACK.jpg
 Description:
Arsenopyrite. Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 7 x 6 x 1.5 cm.
 Viewed:  34296 Time(s)

ARSENO YAO BACK.jpg

ARSENO YAO CLOSE 1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34267 Time(s)

ARSENO YAO CLOSE 1.jpg

ARSENO YAO CLOSE 2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34321 Time(s)

ARSENO YAO CLOSE 2.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 12:44    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Lumaes wrote:

In reviewing my photos I noted I spelt Wulfenite wrong so I have update the table. If the moderators could put this one in and remove the other much appreciated. I think it is better than the previous one.

Done

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 18:23    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is another Chinese Arsenopyrite. The yellow crystals coating some of the Arsenopyrite crystals are inferred to be siderite, but not yet proven. The specimen is a solid mass of Arsenopyrite on which lovely crystals of Arsenopyrite have grown. It hails from Dachang Polymetallic Ore Field, Nandan County, Hechi Prefecture, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China. 9 x 6 x 5 cm.

ARSENOSID 3.jpg
 Description:
Arsenopyrite with Siderite. Dachang Polymetallic Ore Field, Nandan County, Hechi Prefecture, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China. 9 x 6 x 5 cm.
 Viewed:  34188 Time(s)

ARSENOSID 3.jpg

ARSENOSID CLOSEUP 1.jpg
 Description:
Arsenopyrite with Siderite. Dachang Polymetallic Ore Field, Nandan County, Hechi Prefecture, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China. 9 x 6 x 5 cm.
 Viewed:  34191 Time(s)

ARSENOSID CLOSEUP 1.jpg

ARSENOSID CLOSEUP 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34230 Time(s)

ARSENOSID CLOSEUP 3.jpg

ARSENOSID CLOSEUP 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34218 Time(s)

ARSENOSID CLOSEUP 4.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 20:52    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is another of my Peruvian Pyrites. I find the varied forms of pyrite most interesting, and so it is a good mineral to acquire. The piece below hails from the Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru. 8 x 6 x 6 cm.

OCTAHEDRAL PYRITE.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite. Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru. 8 x 6 x 6 cm.
 Viewed:  34165 Time(s)

OCTAHEDRAL PYRITE.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2011 22:18    Post subject: AFRICAN SCHORL - Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is a schorl I posted a few weeks ago. I decided to take a few more shots. I think it is a ‘beauty.” It has a great luster, mirror-like in fact and the terminations are just great. It also has a few interesting surface features. In the last photo is a highly symmetrical terraced pit. When I asked about this feature it was suggested that they once supported quartz crystals, but I am not sure. It hails from Erongo Mountains, Usakos and Omaruru Districts, Erongo Region, Namibia, Africa. 6 x 5 x 4 cm.

SCHORL 1.jpg
 Description:
Schorl, Erongo Mountains, Usakos and Omaruru Districts, Erongo Region, Namibia, Africa. 6 x 5 x 4 cm.
 Viewed:  34137 Time(s)

SCHORL 1.jpg

SCHORL 2.jpg
 Description:
Schorl, Erongo Mountains, Usakos and Omaruru Districts, Erongo Region, Namibia, Africa. 6 x 5 x 4 cm.
 Viewed:  34130 Time(s)

SCHORL 2.jpg

SCHORL 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34159 Time(s)

SCHORL 3.jpg

SCHORL 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34148 Time(s)

SCHORL 4.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 01:08    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is another of my Peruvian pieces. This time it is Sphalerite on Quartz. The crystals have the most amazing luster and shapes as can be seen in the two close-up photos. This sphalerite is the black opaque variety due to iron. I am fortunate to have sphalerites in a wide range of colours and shapes. This piece hails from the Animon Mine, San Jose Huayallay District, Daniel Alcides Carrion Province, Pasco Department, Peru. 14 x 10 x 8 cm.

ANIMON SPHAL 1.jpg
 Description:
Sphalerite on Quartz. Animon Mine, San Jose Huayallay District, Daniel Alcides Carrion Province, Pasco Department, Peru. 14 x 10 x 8 cm.
 Viewed:  34172 Time(s)

ANIMON SPHAL 1.jpg

ANIMON SPHAL 2.jpg
 Description:
Sphalerite on Quartz. Animon Mine, San Jose Huayallay District, Daniel Alcides Carrion Province, Pasco Department, Peru. 14 x 10 x 8 cm.
 Viewed:  34160 Time(s)

ANIMON SPHAL 2.jpg

ANIMON SPHAL 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34153 Time(s)

ANIMON SPHAL 3.jpg

ANIMON SPHAL 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  34134 Time(s)

ANIMON SPHAL 4.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 19:53    Post subject: Prospecting for Gold - Samuel's Collection  

NATIVE GOLD

Let’s go Gold Prospecting!!

I have always wanted a Pulsed Induction Metal Detector but they are too expensive for a humble retiree to buy. Some can cost as much as $5000USD, so what does one do? Build one of course! Below is my Pulsed Induction Metal detector made at home - some parts were salvaged from old Computer monitors and some were bought quite inexpensively from Electronic Parts supply companies, and there are thousands of them on the Internet. The total cost was about $100USD, and it works as good as the $5000 versions. It was based on a Russian Home-made design. So I repeat, this is not a toy but a unit equal in performance to many commercial designs that cost $1000’s. It uses a microcontroller, which are easy to program.

1 PROTO SHOWING LCD DATA.jpg
 Description:
Before we start building a commercial like device we need to know if the basic design is valid so we assemble the circuit on what is known as a “bread board” and test it. Yep it works; so onto step 2.
 Viewed:  34120 Time(s)

1 PROTO SHOWING LCD DATA.jpg

2 PCB ETCHED MAIN BOARD.jpg
 Description:
This shows you what a Home-made Printed Circuit board looks like before it is drilled and stuffed with electronic components. These boards are so easy to do it is scary! You start off with a circuit design printed on a clear plastic sheet, place the sheet over a copper board covered with photo resist (Riston) and exposure it to a source of UVA (or sun light), develop and then removed unwanted copper with etchant (ammonium persulphate). The end result is shown in the photo. And the holes are drilled to accept the parts.
 Viewed:  34371 Time(s)

2 PCB ETCHED MAIN BOARD.jpg

3 INSIDE THE BOX.jpg
 Description:
This is a photo of the electronics inside the box.
 Viewed:  34140 Time(s)

3 INSIDE THE BOX.jpg

4 THE CONTROL PANEL.jpg
 Description:
This is a photo of the assembled unit in its box..
 Viewed:  34015 Time(s)

4 THE CONTROL PANEL.jpg

5 FINAL SPIDER TEMPLATE.jpg
 Description:
But wait a minute I have forgotten something, yes the coil. We need this if our metal detector is going to work. The first picture shows the template and the specifications are based on a bit of trial and error. Generally most coils will work, but to tweak it for best performance I settled with the one shown in the photo. This design was printed on paper and stuck on cardboard and the design cut with a craft knife.
 Viewed:  34272 Time(s)

5 FINAL SPIDER TEMPLATE.jpg

6 FINAL SPIDER BEFOR TAPING.jpg
 Description:
This photo shows the cardboard form with wire attached.
 Viewed:  34135 Time(s)

6 FINAL SPIDER BEFOR TAPING.jpg

7 FINAL SPIDER TAPED.jpg
 Description:
This photo shows the coil taped. At this point you have some choices – encase the coil in resin, leave as is, etc, etc.
 Viewed:  34068 Time(s)

7 FINAL SPIDER TAPED.jpg

8. SOURCE OF COIL WIRE.jpg
 Description:
But isn’t copper wire expensive? Get outta here!! We live in a throw-away society just take the degaussing coil out of an old TV or Computer Monitor.
 Viewed:  34060 Time(s)

8. SOURCE OF COIL WIRE.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 21:35    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is a lovely specimen of Chalcopyrite on Quartz. It is also possible to see some metallic grey hairs of what we surmise to be Bismuthinite - but not proven by analysis. The Chalcopyrite crystals have an amazing luster and the colour is a beautiful gold with a hint of green. It hails from the Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 7 x 4 x 4 cm.

YAO CHALCO & QUARTZ.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite on Quartz with Bismuthinite Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 7 x 4 x 4 cm.
 Viewed:  34056 Time(s)

YAO CHALCO & QUARTZ.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 21:35    Post subject: Chinese Chalcopyrite - Samuel's Collection  

This is the other side of the one posted above It is also possible to see some metallic grey hairs of what we surmise to be Bismuthinite - but not proven by analysis. The Chalcopyrite crystals have an amazing luster and the colour is a beautiful gold with a hint of green. It hails from the Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 7 x 4 x 4 cm.

YAO CHALCO & QUARTZ 2.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite on Quartz with Bismuthinite. Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 7 x 4 x 4 cm.
 Viewed:  34056 Time(s)

YAO CHALCO & QUARTZ 2.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2011 22:23    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Bismuthinite is a very interesting mineral, and is part of a neat family of minerals belonging to Group 15 of the Periodic Table of the Elements. The other notable sulphides are Orpiment and Stibnite. So far I have several display quality pieces belonging to this Group of elements and I am always on the lookout for a confirmed display specimen of Bismuthinite, along with the Native Elements of course. Bismuth is a very interesting element in that it is naturally radioactive, but the half life is so long ca. 1.9 × 1019 years it is hard to detect a radioactive decay. Its half life is longer than the estimated age of the universe.

GROUP 15.jpg
 Description:
SOME OF THE GROUP 15 KIDS
 Viewed:  34940 Time(s)

GROUP 15.jpg

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 9 of 11
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  

Jump to: