We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 01:27

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 03:02    Post subject: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Could you help me with these flattened titanites?. They come from Gandab Valley (Gandahab), Mohmand Agency, Pakistan. I have seen and bought them in the market but only from one dealer from Pakistan. He is a serious and reliable seller.

But, a few days ago, a friend pointed out these crystals could have been cut. I have not seen them on Mindat where the locality is not recorded.

I post several pictures. The crystals are completely included with chlorite. Instead of the usual wedge shape of the titanite, these are flat and slim. My opinion is that we have here an odd habit of titanite, but natural habit.

Regards

PICT0469.JPG
 Description:
Titanite
Gandab Valley (Gandahab), Mohmand Agency, Pakistan
5 x 3 x 0,5 cm.
 Viewed:  23821 Time(s)

PICT0469.JPG

PICT0470.JPG
 Description:
Titanite
5 x 3 x 0,5 cm.
 Viewed:  23914 Time(s)

PICT0470.JPG

PICT0471.JPG
 Description:
Titanite
5 x 3 x 0,5 cm.
 Viewed:  23812 Time(s)

PICT0471.JPG

PICT0472.JPG
 Description:
Titanite
5 x 3 x 0,5 cm.
 Viewed:  23810 Time(s)

PICT0472.JPG

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 05:25    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

They are perfectly natural. I have a similar one that is alleged to be from Gilgit, Skardu, that I acquired in 2002.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 05:47    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Thank you very much, John, for your quick answer. It is a pity these uncommon crystals are not recorded on Mindat and elsewhere as far as I know. I checked all the Pakistani titanites from Mindat and I did not see any of them.

Regards

Maggie Wilson

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 06:41    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Hello, folks

We acquired one of these crystals - actually, it's next on my list of items to photograph and upload to Mindat.

The locality is Shalman Area, Kyber Agency, FATA, Pakitsan.

Under the scope, crystal inclusions and offsets are clearly visible poking up from the surface of the crystal. Conclusion: natural, not cut.

All the best
Maggie

Carles Curto

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 07:24    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Flattened crystals of titanite are not specially unusual. Goldschmidt figures some drawings and between them, figs. 20 (St. Gottard), 45 (Binnental), 152 (Llach), 230 (Zillertal), 234 (Zlatoust), 854 (Isčre) and 326 (Rauris,) are very good examples.

I add some pictures of flattened crystals of titanite (from different localities), their respective thicknesses are not so clear on the pictures, but they are really thin.

titanita_1969_25br.jpg
 Description:
Titanite
Kötschatal, Badagstein, Austria
2,7x2,4x1,2 cm / 1,4x0,7x0,4 (main crystal)
 Viewed:  23773 Time(s)

titanita_1969_25br.jpg

titanita_2006_11br.jpg
 Description:
Titanite
Ladjuar Medam (Lajur Madan), Badakshan, Kokcha Valley, Jurm, Afganistan.
5,7x3,5x4,5 cm. / 1,8x1,1x0,3 cm.
 Viewed:  23729 Time(s)

titanita_2006_11br.jpg

titanita_1989_21br.jpg
 Description:
Titanite
Haramosh, Shengus, Gilgit, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan
5,1x4,2x3,1 cm. / 1,8x0,8x0,3 cm. (main crystal)
 Viewed:  23726 Time(s)

titanita_1989_21br.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 08:42    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Carles, yours appear to be twinned, in addition to being transparent. Those that Antonio refers to are not twinned and they are not transparent, AND they are usually heavily chlorite-included. Also they are complete floaters, no attachments, no matrix.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 09:59    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

The last photo that Antonio posted looks to me like it may be a twin. Perhaps need to see a higher resolution or close-up photo to say for sure whether what looks like re-entrant faces at the apex of the crystal are really faces of just a break.

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 12:41    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

I am very pleased because of your comments.

Maggie, I make a note of the locality you provide. I will check if two localities are close. Your adding of a picture of these titanites to Mindat is a good idea.

I agree with John about the unusual features of these titanites. They are floaters indeed. I must see though the Goldschmidt drawings Carles quoted.

Jesse, looking at the crystal with magnifying glasses I do not see any break. I think the smaller faces could be re-entrant faces but the chlorite and my lackness of knowledge on twins -I mean experience- do not allow me to be categorical. Anyway, I am posting the close-up you asked. I hope it helps.

Regards

titanita.JPG
 Description:
Close-up of the apex of the crystal
 Viewed:  23600 Time(s)

titanita.JPG

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 16:08    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Here is a photo of my titanite. As mentioned it is a complete floater, it is untwinned, there are no re-entrants anywhere around the edges of the crystal, and it is 4.5 cm across. The locality is given as Gilgit, Skardu, Pakistan.

P1000591.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23525 Time(s)

P1000591.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 16:39    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Carles Curto wrote:
Kötschatal, Badagstein, Austria

Carles, just some little corrections for the spelling of that locality, it is:
Kötschachtal, Bad Gastein.

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 09, 2012 17:13    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Another smaller crystal, without attachment point, completely flawless.

Regards

titanita.jpg
 Description:
Titanite
Gandab Valley, Mohmand Agency, Pakistan
2 x 1 cm.
 Viewed:  23494 Time(s)

titanita.jpg

Carles Curto

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 02:24    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Hi, John.

The Antonio pieces looks also twinned (an aspect not clearly observable on the pictures). The fourth one is clearly twinned and the second and the third show a fine line (with a slight change of shadows) that suggests they are also twinned (the position of the first one make impossible to see anything). Ans yes, they have chlorite inclusions.

The pictures I hanged show a not chloritized crystals, but the basic morphology I can observe, with all the objections that the photography imposes, is very sharp and similar (especially in Kötschatal and Haramosh pieces).

The Antonio pieces looks also twinned (an aspect not clearly observable on the pictures). The fourth one is clearly twinned and the second and the third show a fine line (with a slight change of shadows) that suggests they are also twinned (the position of the first one make impossible to see anything). And yes, they have chlorite inclusions.

The pictures I hanged show a not chloritized crystals, but the basic morphology I can observe, with all the objections that the photography imposes, is very sharp and similar (especially in Kötschatal and Haramosh pieces).

Probably, the most remarkable aspect of the Antonio’s samples is the high degree of thickness and their extreme simplicity of principal forms (interesting).

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 10:05    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

I am afraid that I must disagree with Carles. Of course I have not seen these crystals, only the photos Antonio posted, but I can see no twins in the first three and I doubt there is one in the fourth. I also trust Antonio that he can examine the crystals and determine if there are twins there or not. His crystals appear to be virtually identical to mine and there is no twin on mine.

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 12:12    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

I must apologize for my previous ambiguity. I said "crystals" when I had to say: "crystal". The first four pictures belong to the same titanite in different positions. So I have posted only two crystal, one measuring 5 cm across and the second, smaller enough. Sorry.

As John's titanite is untwinned and both crystals are very similar so it is reasonable to think mine is untwinned too. But, despite of the kindness John's statement about my ability, twins are often beyond my comprehension. I would need a practical tutorial because I usually read about crystallography but it is not enough when handling with twinned crystals.

If it is not twinned, Jesse is right. It could simply display a break at one side.

I am so impressed by this kind of titanites for its extremely even shape. I agree with Carles about it.

Regards

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2012 04:38    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Antonio: Since you appear to feel that you are unable to recognize a typical titanite twin, I am attaching a photo of such a twin. It is very distinctive. It appears as a V-shaped cut and will always occur along and parallel to the narrow edge of a crystal such as yours, if there is indeed a twin on your specimen. I do not see one in your photos.

P1000592.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23166 Time(s)

P1000592.JPG

Carles Curto

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2012 07:00    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

John S. White wrote:
I am afraid that I must disagree with Carles. Of course I have not seen these crystals, only the photos Antonio posted, but I can see no twins in the first three and I doubt there is one in the fourth. I also trust Antonio that he can examine the crystals and determine if there are twins there or not. His crystals appear to be virtually identical to mine and there is no twin on mine.

Hi John, really I cannot discuss your affirmation on a picture, Probably you are right. My comment is only a personal suggestion induced by the disposition of the thin lateral faces (face?), that seems to show a slight geometrical change of aspect (right ant left, on the photography).

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2012 17:45    Post subject: Re: Flattened titanite from Gandab Valley, Pakistan  

Well, I know the typical twin of a titanite, like the example you have posted, John. Obviously there is no V-shaped twin like this on my crystal. Just I thought -as Jesse or Carles pointed- there could be some slightest signs of another kind of twin.

If the V-shaped is the unique twin known for titanite, my crystal is untwinned.

Regards

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: