We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 00:38

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Found this cut sample at a mine

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

rickhz

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 10:32    Post subject: Found this cut sample at a mine  

Found this at a calcite mine. The sample doesn't appear to be calcite though. Any ideas as to what this may be??

rock_sample.jpg
 Description:
??
Calcite Mine California
2x1/4x1/4
Found at calcite mine, but doesn't appear to be calcite.
 Viewed:  16333 Time(s)

rock_sample.jpg

rock_sample2.jpg
 Description:
??
Calcite Mine California
2x1/4x1/4
2nd shot
 Viewed:  16282 Time(s)

rock_sample2.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

chris
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 11:03    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

As you are a new user you can't be faulted for not being familiar with the "rules" which are probably more like guidelines. When submitting something like photos, it is standard practice to always provide as much information as possible, thereby greatly improving the prospects of getting meaningful responses. You are welcome to post identification requests about mineral specimens on FMF, but if you want us to help you there are a few tests you should do and information you should provide. It will help us a lot and you'll learn a lot as well:

1 - Read the Asking: "What is this? / Where is it from?" topic. It contains information about basic tests. These tests are very important  in identifying a mineral. Without them, our guesses might be meaningless as different minerals look the same  in photos. The motto is: the more accurate the information, the better the answer. And please do not neglect to state the locality where the specimen was found, this is a great help in suggesting an identification.

2 - Then, read A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips It contains posting tips and a few basic rules about FMF we invite you to follow. Regular members do this. In your doing it too, you'll quickly be considered as a member of our friendly community.

Cheers

FMF Administrators' Team

rickhz

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 15:26    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

Read the check list. Didn't help. I don't have hydrochloric acid and I'm not going to purchase any for one sample. Just thought this piece was interesting considering it was just laying on the ground and must have been out in the open for decades as that's how long it's been since the mine closed. The mine was operated to retrieve calcite for the Nordon Bomb Site in WWII. The calcite "lens" was used to correct for parallax.

The calcite there looks nothing like the sample. Almost seems that someone dropped it out there.

Is the form of the sample I found relatively common? As in a small rectangle with one side highly polished?

As far as the matrix in the area, it appears to be limestone, and granite. The area outside of Salton City, CA was once ocean.

What I can add is that the crystals within sparkle like little diamonds and the color is a little more neutral than the photo depicts. The photo has a yellowish cast to it.

lluis

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 15:39    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

Hi, Rickhz

I could suggest some vinegar from that used to dress a salad.
If a sample from what you have fizz, evolves gass and dissolves, could very well be calcite.
If no reaction, by sure, no calcite.

If calcite, as far as I understand, could maybe be an aged rhomboedron, or a cut piece.
But could be for aspect a aged chunk of glass....

Without more data, a chunk of anything, is a chunk of anything.
A crystal in his matrix, we can identify. Although I always have an analysis for rare specimens .... :-)

Sorry.

With best wishes
Lluís

rickhz

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 15:48    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

I tried white vinegar. No reaction. It's definitely not glass.

Here's the backside:

rock_sample3.jpg
 Description:
??
Calcite Mine, CA
2x1/4x1/4
Backside of sample
 Viewed:  16213 Time(s)

rock_sample3.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 17:21    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

rickhz wrote:
Read the check list. Didn't help. I don't have hydrochloric acid and I'm not going to purchase any for one sample. ...

Measuring hardness isn't difficult, and its in the checklist. Without some information you will not get a meaningful answer.

supertxango

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 17:50    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

Also know streak color could help...

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2013 18:20    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

It looks like a man-made artifact to me.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 02:21    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

It looks like a biscuit! Whatever it is, it is fascinating and hopefully a very unusual mineral specimen.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

rickhz

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 09:57    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

Just thinking about it. It almost seems like a cut out section of a geode... I found a local mineral club. I think I'm going to attend a meeting to learn what I can about it.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 11:00    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

rickhz wrote:
Just thinking about it. It almost seems like a cut out section of a geode... I found a local mineral club. I think I'm going to attend a meeting to learn what I can about it.

Hi Rickhz. I doubt very much if this is the case ' cut out section of a geode'. I think it is worth the while to take the specimen to a rock expert. If it is not some or other man made product (whiitch I doubt) then it could be something very unique. The outer layer looks just like feldspar.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 11:45    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
rickhz wrote:

Hi Rickhz. I doubt very much if this is the case ' cut out section of a geode'. I think it is worth the while to take the specimen to a rock expert. If it is not some or other man made product (whiitch I doubt) then it could be something very unique. The outer layer looks just like feldspar.

It looks a lot as a man-made artifact. Something like glass in a mold...

rweaver

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2013 21:11    Post subject: Re: Found this cut sample at a mine  

To add to your above comments. The location of this is actual the Hilton Deposit located just outside of Borrego Springs. I spent a lot of time around this mine when I lived in San Diego and never came across anything like your pictures. A great reference if you can find one is the Mines and Mineral Resources of San Diego Co., County Report 3. This location is now part of the CA park system and I am sure in gets lots of visitors, know telling what one of them might have left behind.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: