We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-20:17:45 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 05, 2024 17:10

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)

Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

chris
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2008 02:03    Post subject: The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)  

Forget Tucson, München, Sainte-Marie or the East Cost Show... The Chamonix's mineral show hosted "only" 55 dealers this year, some being native mountain guides of the valley. It was organized by the mineralogical club of the valley.

While climbers were on their way on this beautiful saturday morning to the top of Europe, my cousin Patrick and I have decided to discover what lays beneath it deep inside granite rock. Because the Chamonix's valley stands besides Switzerland for some of the most desirable smokeys & pink fluorites from the Alps...

At 9:00 AM sharp we get into a still quiet show. the rush hours will be for later. An opportunity to get permissions from dealers to take some pictures of the minerals displayed. Even if the show hosts dealers offering worldwide specimens, I'll only focus on smokeys & fluorites from the area.

This report is splited in two parts : one about the show itself and another one focusing on the exhibition case of the president of the mineralogical club of Chamonix, M. Bavuz, who exhibited some of his own minerals of the valley.

PART I, the Show :

Despite the weather conditions, the recollection is under way. Some cristalliers even had specimens from 2008 pockets mixed with pieces from the previous years. In the search for crystals, global warming might be a good news. With the thawn of the lower part of the glaciers, some hope to discover new pockets or ease the recollection of the fragile crystals prisoners of hard ice. Time will tell us if they were right.

The first feature of the area is the smokey quartz whose shapes,sizes and colors amaze both experienced collectors and one day visitors as well. But wait a minute. Why smokeys of the area have such a color range, some of them even being colorless ? The natural radioactivity of the granite matrix should turn all of them black. More striking as higher in altitude you go as darker the quartz is, turning to Morion around 4000 m.

Back to school. To create smokey we need 3 conditions :
- A color center in the crystal due to Aluminum + Lithium substitutions of Silicone.
- An activation by a matrix bearing radioactive elements (Uranium, thorium, potassium 40) .
- A temperature below 200°C to avoid the color's destruction and even lower (50-100°C) to ensure a conservation over a long period of time.

As low altitude granite ranges of the area (below 2400 m) took more than 2 millions of years to have their temperature drop below 200°C, the natural radioactivity of the matrix has had less effects on the coloration of low altitude quartz than from quartz of high altitude.

My thoughts about the show : Even if I have had the impression there were less"top" specimens than the previous years, the prices for good quality ones seemed to be less expensive, allowing more collectors like me to get interesting specimens without spending too much. A very subjective point of view however as you still needed to spend several hundreds of euros to get one. Unfortunately, as usual, pink fluorite specimens remained quite expensive, a good specimen still worthing several thousands euros...

Mont_Blanc.jpg
 Description:
The Mont-Blanc, top of Europe at about 4810 m (changes every year the top being covered with snow) on the center left with le Dôme du Goûtet on the right.
 Viewed:  17054 Time(s)

Mont_Blanc.jpg

Bourse.jpg
 Description:
The entrance of the show.
 Viewed:  17065 Time(s)

Bourse.jpg

Bavuz_gwindels.jpg
 Description:
Gwindels of both smokey (crêtes des Rochassiers) and colorless (glacier du Tour) quartz, Pierre Bavuz's collection.
 Viewed:  17034 Time(s)

Bavuz_gwindels.jpg

Charlet_gwindel.jpg
 Description:
Well, back to the show. Amongst smokeys the guest star is the Gwindel : a cabinet size light colored smokey standing high, with a beautiful transparency (Charlet booth)
 Viewed:  17031 Time(s)

Charlet_gwindel.jpg

Feray_gwindel.jpg
 Description:
A deeper colored large cabinet one and for me the best Gwindel on display at the show this year. A perfect example of what could divert a sulfide collector like me from his thematic. Found in 2007, It had everything a collector could expect : color, luster, transparency and no obvious contact. Not surprisingly, 2 hours after the show opening it was gone (Feray booth)....
 Viewed:  17056 Time(s)

Feray_gwindel.jpg

Feray_gwindel2.jpg
 Description:
Just beside it a smaller one but more « airy » example of what nature can offer us (Feray booth).
 Viewed:  17112 Time(s)

Feray_gwindel2.jpg

Feray_quartz2.jpg
 Description:
Beside the Gwindels, more usual specimens caught my eyes, such as this nice bi-terminated cabinet size smokey on typical granite matrix. Apparently I wasn't the only one to note it as it was already « on hold » after only 15 minutes (Feray booth).
 Viewed:  17042 Time(s)

Feray_quartz2.jpg

Feray_quartz3.jpg
 Description:
More classic but still highly desirable this large cabinet specimen with 2 light smokey crystals on quartz matrix. A 2008 find from Les Piérades (Feray booth).
 Viewed:  17043 Time(s)

Feray_quartz3.jpg

Dufrene_quartz.jpg
 Description:
On my way, I stopped to greet Mme & M. Dufrêne. Looking at their booth, I was pleased to see they had some nice small cabinet to cabinet size specimens at very reasonable prices. A reminder that beginners and intermediate collectors are always welcomed.
 Viewed:  17050 Time(s)

Dufrene_quartz.jpg

Dufrene_epidote.jpg
 Description:
While I was there, Mme Dufrêne showed me a discovery she was proud of. An epidote crystal found below the Couvercle, a rarity in this granite kingdom...
 Viewed:  17031 Time(s)

Dufrene_epidote.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2008 02:12    Post subject: Re: The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)  

Charlet_fluo_et_quartz.jpg
 Description:
Where contrasting colors can make every collector dizzy. This large cabinet specimen won't contradict me.
With light smokeys scattered amongst pink fluorite it announces the star of the valley : the pink fluorite (Charlet both).
 Viewed:  17061 Time(s)

Charlet_fluo_et_quartz.jpg

Charlet_fluorite.jpg
 Description:
The first one, a cabinet size, several centimeters on edge pink fluorite that would also fit quite well in my sulfide collection. But its price reserved it to a wealthy high-end collector (Charlet both).
 Viewed:  17097 Time(s)

Charlet_fluorite.jpg

Eva_fluorite.jpg
 Description:
Not very far from there a nice collection of specimens ranging from small to cabinet size from l'Aiguille Verte (Mme & M. Eva booth).
 Viewed:  17082 Time(s)

Eva_fluorite.jpg

Eva_fluorite2.jpg
 Description:
A closer look at one of the specimen of about 10 x 8 cm (Mme & M. Eva booth).
 Viewed:  17063 Time(s)

Eva_fluorite2.jpg

EVA_1.jpg
 Description:
But the Queen of the day wasn't for sale. It was one of the master piece of the exhibition case and came from Mme & M. Eva's personal collection. A large cabinet size group of 3 sharp intertwined several centimeters on edge fluorite crystals, with no damage and the textbook color...
 Viewed:  17094 Time(s)

EVA_1.jpg

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2008 02:13    Post subject: Re: The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)  

Part II : M. Bavuz's exhition case

Besides the show, the mineralogical club organizes exhibition cases with different thematics. This year the guests were the fluorite from le Burg, Tarn, France & the mineralogy of the former coal mine of La Mûre, Isère, France. And as usual minerals from the Mont-Blanc's range.

This year, M. Bavuz, the president of the club had the good idea of exhibiting quartz specimens, whose shapes or combinations turned up to be underrepresented at the show itself, allowing the visitors to get a complete overview of this mineral for the valley.

Bavuz_ame.jpg
 Description:
Faden quartz (about 15 cm height)
Joël Leroux specimen.
 Viewed:  17051 Time(s)

Bavuz_ame.jpg

Bavuz_gwindel3.jpg
 Description:
A large cabinet group with both Gwindel & needle like smokey quartz.
Private collector specimen.
 Viewed:  17066 Time(s)

Bavuz_gwindel3.jpg

Bavuz_haylin.jpg
 Description:
Hyalin quartz
Nicolas Fagou specimen.
 Viewed:  17071 Time(s)

Bavuz_haylin.jpg

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2008 02:17    Post subject: Re: The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)  

Important information : You are a fluorite lover. You'll be around Chamonix this summer ? Don't miss the mineral museum (espace Terray) which exhibits some of the finest fluorite specimens found in the area during the previous decades. More information on:
https://www.chamonix-montblanc.fr/animationculture/site_museecristaux/informations.html (in French)
(link normalized by Jordi)

Acknowledgments : To Mme & M. Charlet, Ghilini, Dufrêne, Eva, Feray, cristalliers, and to M. Bavuz, president of the mineralogical club of Chamonix, for the permission of taking pictures of their specimens and answering my numerous questions. Thanks also to my cousin Patrick for reviewing and commenting this article.

References : information about the coloration of smokey quartz from the Mont-Blanc's Range from Le Règne Minéral special issue “Minéralogie du massif du Mont Blanc ” #5 - 1999 & « cristal de roche" published by the geology museum of Lausanne, Switzerland.

Christophe.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2008 03:44    Post subject: Re: The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)  

Great post Chris! Thanks to share it with us.

Jordi

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2008 06:38    Post subject: Re: The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)  

I honeymooned in Chamonix and fell in love with it there, even the scary ride to the top of Mt. Blanc!
We rode our tandem bicycle across France along the Tour de France race course before the racers were on the roads later in the morniings. We would follow the route each day, but we managed to side track and visit Chamonix for a couple of days and we fell in love with the beautiful town.
Thank you for a wonderful visual treat and great mineral photos Chris.
And for a reminder of my wonderful honeymoon with Jim.

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2008 09:26    Post subject: Re: The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)  

You're welcomed Gail, but don't tell me you folks even climbed Mont Blanc with your tandem ;-) .

Christophe

Gail

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2008 09:47    Post subject: Re: The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)  

Oh thank goodness, NO. We did, however, go up the Alpe d'Huez !!! Now THAT was tough.
We started in Grenoble, so it was a climb the whole way there and then to take on those switchbacks, ouch.
Coming back was much faster and scarier, we were really going fast and we were glad we added a drum brake on the rear wheel.

Again, thank you for your lovely photos. Chamonix will always remain magical....

Tracy

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2008 08:38    Post subject: Re: The 2008 Chamonix Show (August 9h & 10th)  

Thanks Chris for sharing your report and photos with us. It is great to be able to view treasures and learn about minerals and about other beautiful parts of the world. I am particularly fond of gwindels too... :-)

- Tracy

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: