We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 May-17:22:08 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-17:19:10 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-16:25:37 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
23 May-16:04:00 Re: help to identify a find (Jordi Fabre)
23 May-15:37:59 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Pete Richards)
23 May-15:22:39 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Pete Richards)
23 May-14:49:48 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-14:27:55 Re: help to identify a find (Steveb)
23 May-14:19:58 Re: help to identify a find (Dany Mabillard)
23 May-14:17:51 Re: help to identify a find (Josele)
23 May-13:00:07 Help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-12:59:21 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
23 May-08:00:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 23, 2024 18:40

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Alex Kaminski

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2015 15:53    Post subject: What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have  

I am trying to figure out what kinda stuff I have. But I dont hve any tools what so ever to help me. What kinda things should I buy to help give you guys a good idea of what I have ?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete Richards
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2015 16:51    Post subject: Re: What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have  

Go to your local library or a used book store, or look on the web, and try to obtain a copy of Sinkankas' book Mineralogy (or in some editions Mineralogy for Amateurs). It is an excellent introduction to minerals and their study. Among other things, it will tell you how to test for hardness (which you already have learned something about) and what easily available materials are useful for assembling a hardness testing kit. It also describes 300 common minerals, and I am almost certain that every one you have will be in there. And much, much more!

As one of the revered (and now dead) amateur mineralogists used to say at the end of all of his columns, "Get a good mineral book and read it!"

I think you should be thinking about how you can figure out what you have, not how you can help us figure out what you have. The book mentioned above would be a great place to start.

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2015 17:23    Post subject: Re: What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have  

Another very good guide is the Simon and Schuster's "Guide to Rocks and Minerals". This is one of the best field guides in my opinion for the new collector. It has very complete information on physical properties of minerals, clear explanation of tests and very good illustrations. For an amateur guide it is quite good and easily available. The book has a blue cover so you should have no trouble recognizing it. Take your time and read it through and concentrate on applying what you read to your collection. The basics will take you a surprising ways down the road and even experts constantly rely on what they learned during their early years.

I predict you will find this very satisfying working it out. That is half the fun. You will get better as you go and will acquire real knowledge in the process.

Dale Hallmark

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2015 18:34    Post subject: Re: What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have  

I have the Smithsonian Handbook of Rocks and Minerals. I consider it a pretty darn good book. I like that it has nice images and contains many common rocks as well as the minerals.

The one drawback it has ...I am 60 so the print is a little too small :-)

Dale

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2015 19:23    Post subject: Re: What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have  

Dale Hallmark wrote:
I have the Smithsonian Handbook of Rocks and Minerals. I consider it a pretty darn good book. I like that it has nice images and contains many common rocks as well as the minerals.

The one drawback it has ...I am 60 so the print is a little too small :-)

Dale

With all due respect, Dale (I'm 72), the problem is not with the book but with our eyes. When we were younger, the print was large enough! Now I keep several powers of cheaters close by, and am thankful that computer screen images can usually be enlarged until easily readable! Nice that we are still here to enjoy this hobby!

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2015 19:47    Post subject: Re: What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have  

Ah that explains a lot about your profile picture Pete. You thought that was the cat in your hands! I was wondering about the curious expression.

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2015 20:00    Post subject: Re: What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have  

Mark Ost wrote:
Ah that explains a lot about your profile picture Pete. You thought that was the cat in your hands! I was wondering about the curious expression.

Enough of this silliness, but Mark, that ain't no cat, it's a gerbil! And that picture is probably 10 years old at least!

Vitaliy

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2015 20:36    Post subject: Re: What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have  

Mark Ost wrote:
Another very good guide is the Simon and Schuster's "Guide to Rocks and Minerals". This is one of the best field guides in my opinion for the new collector. It has very complete information on physical properties of minerals, clear explanation of tests and very good illustrations. For an amateur guide it is quite good and easily available. The book has a blue cover so you should have no trouble recognizing it. Take your time and read it through and concentrate on applying what you read to your collection. The basics will take you a surprising ways down the road and even experts constantly rely on what they learned during their early years.

I predict you will find this very satisfying working it out. That is half the fun. You will get better as you go and will acquire real knowledge in the process.

It's not just for new or beginning collectors either. When you are collecting in the field you are not going to bring with you Skinkanka's Mineralogy books but rather a field collecting book and perhaps information about the locality.

I would also suggest any of the books by Walter Schumann including Rocks and Minerals. This is a time honoured classic.

cascaillou

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2015 11:51    Post subject: Re: What should I buy to start testing what Rocks/minerals i have  

Hereafter are the most basic tools:

I would suggest to first buy a digital scale with 0.01g accuracy (useful for measuring specific gravity of stones weighing at least 3g). If you want to get seriously involved into minerals identification, then better get a quality scale (Tanita is good brand for instance, they make a 0.01g pocket scale called 1579D).

For hardness testing:
-your finger nail (hardness about 2.5)
-a flat blade of pure copper (hardness about 3)
-window glass (hardness 5 to 6)
-also get a flat polished piece of rock crystal quartz (hardness 7)

Now if you want to proceed to more accurate hardness testing, then just get all the minerals of the Mohs scale from hardness 1 to hardness 9.
For calcite, fluorite, apatite, feldspar and quartz, I would suggest to buy those in the form of flat polished pieces (rather than rough chunks), because it's easier to get a neat scratch on those materials when these are polished.
For topaz, a colorless crystal will do just fine (and it's cheap), and for corundum just buy a piece of synthetic sapphire (cheap).

for streak test: rough (i.e not enameled) white porcelain (you can buy a streak plate from a geology shop, or you can simply use the non-enameled back side of a porcelain plate or cup)

For transparent to translucent stones which aren't imbedded in matrix, one could also consider a Iittle bit of optical testing: polariscope and conoscope.
You can buy these from a gemological tools supplier or you can build things yourself:
a polariscope can easily be built from two pieces of linear polarizing filter (bought from ebay or recovered from a broken led screen), or if you have both a smartphone and polarizing sunglasses you could just temporarily combine these into a polariscope. And if you have a jeweller triplet loupe you could use it as a conoscope.

So as you can see the only thing there's no way aroung buying is the scale. Well, you also need a good mineral reference data book, of course.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: