We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 26, 2024 05:44

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Casimir Sarisky

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 14:22    Post subject: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Alright, I am relatively new to the hobby of collecting minerals. The main mineral that appeals to me is fluorite. Unfortunately, with my limited funds I cannot acquire the most visually appealing specimens available on the market. I have only several hundred dollars to spare at any given time.

So that means that I can only acquire one great specimen as the "flagship" of my collection. With the numerous localities for this common mineral, what would be the ideal choice to be the main piece to my collection? Personally I would love a specimen with gemmy blue and/or green color and be a cabinet or large cabinet sized. As a floater or with a limited matrix. In pristine condition with no damage.

Fluorites from Okorusu (the older versions that are more gemmy from the 70s'-80's) looked to be a good choice but the ones I see now are not as good quality as I would like and are typically flat plate specimens. I cannot seem to locate the classic versions which were more gemmy online.

Any other fluorite localities that have visually appealing blue and/or green fluorite specimens? I already have two from China so I would like another locality since I would like to acquire minerals from different localities.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

kushmeja

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 14:36    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

I have a decent fluorite collection, and my favorites are from Riemvasmaak in Northern Cape Province, South Africa - definitely worth checking them out. They tend to have complex triangular morphology with vivid green color, so they look great in my opinion.

Rogerley Mine in Weardale district, County Durham, England also has killer fluorite that changes color depending on the type of light, because their fluorescent to some extent in daylight. They tend to change from green in incandescent light to a deep blue in daylight.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 15:55    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Casimir Sarisky wrote:
Alright, I am relatively new to the hobby of collecting minerals. My main mineral that appeals to me is fluorite. Unfortunately, with my limited funds I cannot acquire the most visually appealing specimens available on the market.

So that means that I can only acquire one great specimen as the "flagship" of my collection. With the numerous localities for this common mineral, what would be the ideal choice to be the main piece to my collection? Personally I would love a specimen with gemmy blue and/or green color and be a cabinet or large cabinet sized. As a floater or with a limited matrix. In pristine condition with no damages.

Any other fluorite localities that have visually appealing blue and/or green fluorite specimens? I already have two from China so I would like another locality since I would like to acquire minerals from different localities.

You have posed a nearly impossible question to answer, as what you would consider a flagship piece is based on your own personal preferences. Some may like very complex crystals, others simple but glassy crystals. At the end of the day, you have to buy something that speaks to you. And, as you continue collecting, realize that your tastes may change, and that flagship specimen that you thought to be so wonderful, may be replaced by something else that strikes your fancy.

That said, China produces many fabulous and relatively affordable Fluorite specimens in all colors of the rainbow, from many hundreds of localities, so don't just discount China because you already have a few. Yaogangxian has produced wonderful blue and green crystals, with nice matrix associations. De'an has also produced Fluorites in the same colors, usually as octahedrons, but also with dodecahedral modifications (these are not very pricey either, and a new find was recently made).

Spain has produced outstanding blues, as has New Mexico. Mexico also has some excellent localities.

Go to local shows and look at displays and dealer stocks, and educate yourself on what is currently available in the marketplace. Newer specimens may be more affordable than older classic specimens. If you see something you really like, tell the dealer so, and ask nicely for a discount. Many dealers really like minerals, and like that other people appreciate them, so they may be willing to help you out. Also, note that there are lots of variability in pricing, and if you are willing to walk around, look and talk to people, you can find some great bargains.

Good luck!

Casimir Sarisky

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 17:44    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

kushmeja wrote:
I have a decent fluorite collection, and my favorites are from Riemvasmaak in Northern Cape Province, South Africa - definitely worth checking them out. They tend to have complex triangular morphology with vivid green color, so they look great in my opinion.

Rogerley Mine in Weardale district, County Durham, England also has killer fluorite that changes color depending on the type of light, because their fluorescent to some extent in daylight. They tend to change from green in incandescent light to a deep blue in daylight.

Thanks for the recommendations. I have seen Rogerley fluorite in person, and they do look quite appealing.

Casimir Sarisky

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 17:51    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

GneissWare wrote:
Casimir Sarisky wrote:
Alright, I am relatively new to the hobby of collecting minerals. My main mineral that appeals to me is fluorite. Unfortunately, with my limited funds I cannot acquire the most visually appealing specimens available on the market.

So that means that I can only acquire one great specimen as the "flagship" of my collection. With the numerous localities for this common mineral, what would be the ideal choice to be the main piece to my collection? Personally I would love a specimen with gemmy blue and/or green color and be a cabinet or large cabinet sized. As a floater or with a limited matrix. In pristine condition with no damages.

You have posed a nearly impossible question to answer, as what you would consider a flagship piece is based on your own personal preferences. Some may like very complex crystals, others simple but glassy crystals. At the end of the day, you have to buy something that speaks to you. And, as you continue collecting, realize that your tastes may change, and that flagship specimen that you thought to be so wonderful, may be replaced by something else that strikes your fancy.

That said, China produces many fabulous and relatively affordable Fluorite specimens in all colors of the rainbow, from many hundreds of localities, so don't just discount China because you already have a few. Yaogangxian has produced wonderful blue and green crystals, with nice matrix associations. De'an has also produced Fluorites in the same colors, usually as octahedrons, but also with dodecahedral modifications (these are not very pricey either, and a new find was recently made).

Spain has produced outstanding blues, as has New Mexico. Mexico also has some excellent localities.

Go to local shows and look at displays and dealer stocks, and educate yourself on what is currently available in the marketplace. Newer specimens may be more affordable than older classic specimens. If you see something you really like, tell the dealer so, and ask nicely for a discount. Many dealers really like minerals, and like that other people appreciate them, so they may be willing to help you out. Also, note that there are lots of variability in pricing, and if you are willing to walk around, look and talk to people, you can find some great bargains.

Good luck!

You are right about being impossible to determine a person's tastes in what they find appealing in a specimen, but for me color is what really attracts me to specimens. For others it may be its shape, rarity, locality. etc...

I have went to a mineral show earlier this year where I live. Seeing the fluorite in-person did help a bit on which colors I was interested in. Unfortunately if my memory serves me correctly, the selection of various fluorite was quite limited to what I have seen online.

According to what I have read online, there will be no more shows coming around my area for the remainder of this year.

Thanks for the advice.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 19:35    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

You should really try to attend the East Coast Gem, Mineral & Fossil Show, West Springfield, MA on August 7–9, 2015. There will be exceptional exhibits, and many mineral dealers. I can assure you that the quality level will be higher than most places on the internet.

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 20:36    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

GneissWare wrote:
You should really try to attend the East Coast Gem, Mineral & Fossil Show, West Springfield, MA on August 7–9, 2015. There will be exceptional exhibits, and many mineral dealers. I can assure you that the quality level will be higher than most places on the internet.

I agree with gneissware, the East Coast Show should provide you with a good selection of nice fluorite to choose from. Attending a mineral show and actually having the specimen in your hands before purchasing allows you to remove the uncertainty in the transaction.

While the internet appears to be a great place to purchase specimens, the draw back is, relying on the vendors description and pictures to assess the quality of a specimen. For me personally, when I am purchasing a higher priced specimen and in your case a "flag ship piece" I would want to have it in my hands before I lay down the hard earned cash.

Cheers,
Joseph

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 20:53    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

like Casimer said - this is impossible but there are a few localities with specific types of fluorites that are clearly definitive. here's my shot at it - I think the better specimens from these localities are potential "Fluorite Flagship" pieces.

my opinion again - try to find large, well defined, single crystals - gemmy and lustrous. Many localities either lack size, lack luster (like Riemvaasmak as many are etched from quartz so the luster is flat) or occur in busy groups of crystals (like the China localities below as well as Rogerley and Asturias - but like in The Man of La Mancha - it's the quest!).

here goes:.

- a clear, colorless, perfect cube from Dalnegorsk
- pick your favorite color - or color schemes - and get one of the better Ross Lillie Southern Illinois fluorites
- a gemmy bright deep purple Elmwood cube - maybe with associations although these detract from the fluorite
- a gemmy rich green group of cubes (or modified cubes) with one large standout xl from Xianghualing or Xianghuapu, China
- a pink gemmy octahedral from the alpine Alps - probably a bank breaker
- a top end Rogerley specimen
- a top end Asturias Spain specimen

there's other great localities - but these to me stand out.

your personal taste will determine what you think is "Flagship"

bob

Casimir Sarisky

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 23:39    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

GneissWare wrote:

To be honest I never been to MA before (only traveled to 6 states and DC). With my schedule I am not sure if I could make such a trip there, but it is around my birthday so there is a chance. I will have to think about it, and I have time to do so.

Casimir Sarisky

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 23:50    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

bob kerr wrote:
like Casimer said - this is impossible but there are a few localities with specific types of fluorites that are clearly definitive. here's my shot at it - I think the better specimens from these localities are potential "Fluorite Flagship" pieces.

my opinion again - try to find large, well defined, single crystals - gemmy and lustrous. Many localities either lack size, lack luster (like Riemvaastmak as many are etched from quartz so the luster is flat) or occur in busy groups of crystals (like the China localities below as well as Rogerley and Asturias - but like in The Man of La Mancha - it's the quest!).

here goes:.

- a clear, colorless, perfect cube from Dalnegorst
- pick your favorite color - or color schemes - and get one of the better Ross Lillie Southern Illinois fluorites
- a gemmy bright deep purple Elmwood cube - maybe with associations although these detract from the fluorite
- a gemmy rich green group of cubes (or modified cubes) with one large standout xl from Xianghualing or Xianghuapu, China
- a pink gemmy octahedral from the alpine Alps - probably a bank breaker
- a top end Rogerley specimen
- a top end Asturias Spain specimen

there's other great localities - but these to me stand out.

your personal taste will determine what you think is "Flagship"

bob

Thanks for the recommendations. In fact, I do have a single purple fluorite from Elmwood (4.25 x 3.5 x 3). It is mostly etched with developing Carthage corners, but it is in pristine condition. It is quite neat, but I still want a specimen that is lustrous and/or blue and/or green in color.

Okorusu, Asturias, and Rogerley look to be the top choices at this point. I keep hearing that the Cave-in-Rock area may reopen and that there is still a lot of material underneath. Plus it is mostly Purple and Yellow-Gold specimens that come from Illinois, so I am not interested in them at the moment.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2015 01:58    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

If an English specimen is of interest you could also look at Greenlaws. They re-opened the mine for specimen production last year, but I think there has been some debate over control so all seems to have gone quiet. What I did see last year was nice and I uploaded a few that I saw, such as:
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=39874#39874

I am not sure what will happen next but the locality has potential. Just to be clear I have no involvement in this venture!

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2015 11:41    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Casimir Sarisky wrote:
The main mineral that appeals to me is fluorite [...] I can only acquire one great specimen as the "flagship" of my collection [...] What would be the ideal choice to be the main piece to my collection? Personally I would love a specimen with gemmy blue and/or green color and be a cabinet or large cabinet sized [...] Any other fluorite localities that have visually appealing blue and/or green fluorite specimens? I already have two from China so I would like another locality since I would like to acquire minerals from different localities.

Hi Casimir, as a long-time fluorite collector, I know (too) many localities with good fluorite material, this isn't only your dilemma but a problem for ALL fluorite collectors, maybe except for those with unlimited budget ;-) If you would have asked in general which fluorite could be the "flagship" of your collection, that question couldn't be answered. But if you ask for blue or green ones in particular, my favourite fluorite localities for green and/or blue crystals are:

- Beihilfe Mine, Saxony, Germany (well ... unless you win the lottery, don't even try to get a good one in vibrant blue colour)
- Clara Mine, Black Forest, Germany
- Le Burg, France
- Riemvasmaak, South Africa
- Blanchard Mine, New Mexico
- Rogerley Mine & Heights Mine, England
- Dal'Negorsk, Russia
- Minerva Mine, Illinois
- ... and of course several mines in China, but you wanted to hear some others than China ;-)

Cheers!
Tobi

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2015 11:51    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Highly recommended reading: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2015 05:30    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Great point Jordi, I had forgotten that discussion!

Susan Robinson

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2015 14:07    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Here are a few fluorites that are difficult to find for sale, much less collect, but are classics in their own right:
Macomb, New York. Sea-green crystals in groups up to a half ton.
Madoc, Ontario - some larger crystals were water-clear with intense green areas.
Kongsberg, Norway - some were the same as those described above from Madoc.
Faraday mine, near Bancroft, Ontario. A small pocketed area yielded groups of very small, but extemely green, translucent octahedrons. The color was like dark creme de menthe liqueur.
Walworth, NY. The totally clear, colorless cubes from this locality are few, but fantastic.
Clay Center, Ohio. For brown-colored fluorite (nearly root beer color), this locality is great.

I hope this list is helpful,

Susan Robinson

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2015 06:49    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Hi Casimir. Fluorite is indeed a delightful specie of the mineral kingdom. If I was you, I would rather split my 'several hundred dollars' and do what Tobi does, collect a variety of fluorite from different areas. You can get a pretty good fluorite for under a $100. I hope you get what you are looking for.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2015 08:48    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Highly recommended reading: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?
James wrote:
Great point Jordi, I had forgotten that discussion!
Oops, me too, though I was the one who started it ;)
Pierre Joubert wrote:
Hi Casimir [...] I hope you get what you are looking for.
And when you get it, let us know! :)

Casimir Sarisky

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2015 20:40    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Well, it looks like there will be a chance that I could go to the Mineral Show in West Springfield, Massachusetts in August. It is a few days after my birthday so perhaps I will be my birthday gift. That way I can see many of the fluorite localities mentioned here in person.

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2015 04:12    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

Hello Casimir,

Don't forget to have a look at mindat.org if you don't already know this website. This is a mineral database with plenty of photos of minerals. You can search the database by mineral and locality. Put apart in very big shows it is often difficult to get representative fluorite specimens from every localities as fluorite remains quite common.

I don't know if you are already aware of it, but some fluorite colors are light sensitive. the sensitivity depends on the color, but sometimes on the locality as well. So if you really want to start collecting fluorites it would be interesting for you to get documentation about it. I have a very good article at home. Unfortunately it is in French. There is a thread about light sensitive minerals in FMF here. Read it before attending the show because it might influence you in what you would like to buy. It is not aimed at discouraging, but on the opposite as making you aware that minerals (like a tee-shirt left in sunlight during August) are "alives". So a few tricks will allow you to keep them in good condition much longer.

Have fun

Chris

Casimir Sarisky

PostPosted: Jul 04, 2015 03:04    Post subject: Re: Fluorite Collectors, Which Fluorite Should I Add As My Flagship Of My Collection?  

An update: I will be going to the East Coast Gem Show this August. I will look forward to browsing the numerous specimens for sale there.

Does anyone know if any dealers will be specializing in offering fluorite from various localities? The more I look online, the more I am interested in getting an bluish green Okorusu fluorite in pristine condition.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: