We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 May-10:46:15 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
24 May-00:45:46 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 May-17:22:08 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-17:19:10 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-16:25:37 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
23 May-16:04:00 Re: help to identify a find (Jordi Fabre)
23 May-15:37:59 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Pete Richards)
23 May-15:22:39 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Pete Richards)
23 May-14:49:48 Re: help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-14:27:55 Re: help to identify a find (Steveb)
23 May-14:19:58 Re: help to identify a find (Dany Mabillard)
23 May-14:17:51 Re: help to identify a find (Josele)
23 May-13:00:07 Help to identify a find (Dragrace7)
23 May-12:59:21 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
23 May-08:00:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 24, 2024 14:43

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Optical Mineralogy and Crystallography

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Elise

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2015 15:22    Post subject: Optical Mineralogy and Crystallography  

Hi All,

“Shades of Blue Minerals,” the January/February issue of Rocks & Minerals magazine, has recently been posted online and the glossy hardcopy is soon to follow via snailmail, just in time for the ramp-up to the 2016 Tucson Gem & Mineral Show of the same theme! I’m thrilled to have been invited to write about the mechanisms of color for this special issue, and hope the somewhat different approach to this topic will be helpful to those interested in minerals and gems. Nearly a year in genesis, the article is aimed at a wide-range of interest levels and backgrounds. It’s also the first in a series of popular science articles focused on optical mineralogy and crystallography; the next two already-completed installments will come out very soon.

On-going collaboration with Cornell’s Professor Emeritus William A. Bassett is truly priceless to me for this and other projects in the wings, as well as for those over the past eight years of work and research together. Bill shares my enthusiasm for exploring the fascinating aspects of this classical science, and as my co-author he sets the highest bar for accuracy. I’m so honored that these efforts have resulted in this article being included in such a fine publication as Rocks & Minerals, a cross-discipline geological periodical chock-full of diverse topics. R&M has one of the toughest editorial review boards in the mineral world, as well as a community of some of the most engaging writers of the genre. As to why some minerals (and feathers) are brilliant blue when light falls upon them yet in transmitted light are revealed to be colorless, see “Blue Minerals: Exploring Cause & Effect.” Abstract: https://www.rocksandminerals.org/Back%20Issues/2016/January-February%202016/blue-minerals-exploring_abstract.html (link normalized by FMF)

Skalwold, E.A. and W.A. Bassett. (2016) Blue minerals: exploring cause & effect. Rocks & Minerals, Vol.91, No.1, pages 61-75.

I would love to hear any comments and any discussion it generates on other aspects of Optical Mineralogy and Crystallography.

Best wishes,
Elise

BlueColorSm.jpg
 Description:
Some minerals (and feathers) are brilliant blue when light falls upon them yet in transmitted light are revealed to be colorless (photo: Elise A. Skalwold).
 Viewed:  12801 Time(s)

BlueColorSm.jpg

Elise

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2015 23:19    Post subject: Re: Optical Mineralogy and Crystallography  

Short on the heels of the blue minerals paper, the Mineralogical Society of America published two more papers in what might be considered a "series," this time in the form of booklets, now freely accessible on the MSA website as both print quality PDFs and reduced size PDFs for on-screen viewing:
https://www.minsocam.org/msa/openaccess_publications/#Skalwold_01
(link normalized by FMF)
There will be some hardcopies available at the MSA booth at the TGMS as well.

Both papers have been "brewing" for several years and I'm thrilled the MSA offered to publish them! I'm hoping Jordi will remember the calcite prisms featured in the "Double Trouble: Navigating Birefringence" paper. The "Quartz: a Bull’s Eye on Optical Activity" features a quartz monochromator designed by Dr. Hurlbut at Harvard which I hope all will find as fascinating as I did.

Best wishes for the New Year,
Elise

Double_Trouble.jpg
 Description:
Skalwold, E.A. and W.A. Bassett. (2015) Double Trouble: Navigating Birefringence. Chantilly, VA: Mineralogical Society of America. 20 pages. ISBN 978-0-939950-02-7
 Viewed:  12433 Time(s)

Double_Trouble.jpg

Quartz_Bullseye.jpg
 Description:
Skalwold, E.A. and W.A. Bassett. (2015) Quartz: a Bull’s Eye on Optical Activity. Chantilly, VA: Mineralogical Society of America. 16 pages. ISBN 978-0-939950-00-3
 Viewed:  12423 Time(s)

Quartz_Bullseye.jpg

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2015 11:04    Post subject: Re: Optical Mineralogy and Crystallography  

Nice! Thanks for making these so readily available.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

nicu

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2015 02:57    Post subject: Re: Optical Mineralogy and Crystallography  

Elise,

All our gratitude for this noble sharing of MSA Publications.
I will propose to download them to electronic Geology/Mineralogy database of Central University Library ''Carol I'' of Bucharest.

Thank you !
Lovely New Year Holidays,

Nicu Pascanu

Elise

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2015 09:43    Post subject: Re: Optical Mineralogy and Crystallography  

I hope the Viking context of the birefringence paper will make for a fun read and that the two papers are helpful to wide range of interest levels and geological specialties. Also, much of the material in both papers is not presented in any one paper or book elsewhere (or is even not presented at all), so we hope to fill in the gaps and facillitate study of textbooks and other literature by these efforts. I have had some very nice feedback and helpful comments which I've been collecting in a folder. The following was from my friend Richard W. Hughes who has written hundreds of papers and several books:
Quote:
It is really great to see papers of this sort making their way into both the gemological and mineralogical literature. Wonderfully written and with high-quality illustrations, they bring esoteric subjects down to the level of us commoners in a way that is so rarely seen. For those who subscribe to Rocks & Minerals, she has also co-authored a superb paper on the various causes of blue color in minerals and gems: "Blue Minerals: Exploring Cause and Effect." I hope she will continue this series with other colors. Fabulous work, Elise!

Just the reaction I'd hoped for from the gemological community though I hope I've written to both camps, mineralogical and gemological. I admire Dick's writing and photography very much, so this was nice to hear! (see my review of his latest book in Rocks & Minerals magazine:
https://www.rocksandminerals.org/Back%20Issues/2016/January-February%202016/media-reviews.html
(link normalized by FMF)

The three papers are a kind of series; we hope to write more! I was thrilled that the MSA published these in such short order after the R&M blue color paper - they have all been more than a year (or many) in process, so it is a kind of relief to finally have them out in the world!

Best wishes,
Elise
PS: the Viking Sunstone is close to my heart for more than 40 years...

20151223_Sunstones_8429b96sm.jpg
 Description:
Iceland Spar (optical quality calcite): The Fabled Viking Sunstone
 Viewed:  12130 Time(s)

20151223_Sunstones_8429b96sm.jpg

Elise

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2016 11:20    Post subject: Re: Optical Mineralogy and Crystallography  

Elise wrote:
I'm hoping Jordi will remember the calcite prisms featured in the "Double Trouble: Navigating Birefringence" paper. The "Quartz: a Bull’s Eye on Optical Activity" features a quartz monochromator designed by Dr. Hurlbut at Harvard which I hope all will find as fascinating as I did.

This is the specimen which I featured in the booklet and had purchased for that purpose - I was so happy to get this, it just took a while to finish writing about it! Mar 15, 2010 https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=10701#10701 And what a great on-going topic thread calcite turned out to be!

Cheers!
Elise

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: