We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 27, 2024 22:02

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Pronunciation of mineral names

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2016 19:27    Post subject: Pronunciation of mineral names  

In the impossible event that I have a mineral named after me, people might be tempted to pronounce it "maz-an-es-ite" and not "maz-an-ek-ite" as it should be. Are minerals named after places safer? In the nearby town of Mantua, a man was looking for the "Man-too-ah" city hall, and no one could help him. Finally someone said "Oh, you mean 'Man-oo-way'".
I hope to start talking to mineralogy buffs soon. Is there some guide to keep me from embarrassing myself?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2016 20:26    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

I agree with you that minerals named after people should be pronounced the way that person pronounced their own name, but all too often a wrong pronunciation gets so deeply embedded in collectors' minds that it's hard to correct.

One of my pet peeves is sugilite, named after Dr Sugi, whose name is pronounced with a hard "g" as in "geese", although almost everyone says it with a soft "g" as in "gene". Hauyne and Whewellite are others named after people and usually wrongly pronounced. And then there are the several copper minerals of greek origin with "chalco..." in the name, which ought to be pronounced "kalko..." rather than with the soft "ch" of "chase".

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 01, 2016 20:56    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

I certainly agree, that this is a perennial challenge, how to pronounce these names.

To Alfredo, I just want to go on record, when I pronounce those copper mineral names, I say "kalkopyrite", "kalkocite", and to bring in a sulfate too, "kalkanthite". My impression has always been, that it is the British who pronounce those names with a soft c, but in the U.S., most say a hard c/k sound.

And, Tom, looking at your name and without knowing anything about your ethnicity, I think I would have guessed that it was perhaps a Czech name, and I would have pronounced it (I think) "Mazanets".

crocoite

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2016 02:51    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

ecandrewsite named after E. C. Andrews technically should be pronounced ee-cee-andrewsite :)

Steve
Mineral Collector and Artist

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2016 05:54    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

I have always been amused that some collectors are reluctant to say certain mineral names because they fear they will mispronounce them and embarrass themselves, thus revealing their amateur status. NOT A PROBLEM! I have found that collectors, dealers, mineralogists, etc, don't really care how a mineral is pronounced and I have known a number of professional mineralogists who routinely mispronounce mineral names. In fact it may matter only to the person for whom the mineral is named. Our fearless leader Jordi did, I fear, have me stumped for a while a few years ago. He was being shown a flat of vivid blue crystals and after the seller had left I ask him what the mineral was. In his reply he pronounced it kar-LET'-ton-ite. It took me a while to realize that he was referring to carletonite, better pronounced KARL'-ton-ite.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2016 07:41    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

Hi to everybody!
All of mineral and scientific names are possible to be pronounced wrong. For example, there is a very common and invasive plant titled to the British botanist Mr. Buddle and whose scientific name is "Buddleia davidii". In Italy we usually pronounce it "Boodlay-ee-ah da-vee-dee", as it should be said in Latin! I may quote several examples of, among animals, plants and minerals as well!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2016 08:20    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

A very interesting discussion, I often think about this problem and I don't think it matters what language you speak, there are always some tricky names in the mineral world. Alfredo gave an example that I also know from the German language:
alfredo wrote:
And then there are the several copper minerals of greek origin with "chalco..." in the name, which ought to be pronounced "kalko..." rather than with the soft "ch" of "chase".
Alfredo is right. But I must confess that I (after 25 years of every day handling, collecting, dealing and talking minerals) still say "shall-co-pyrite" instead of the correct pronunciation "kal-co-pyrite. And I guess 99 % of the other German-speaking mineral people do the same, no idea why :-( Maybe because the correct pronunciation in this case would remind us of the "calc/kalk"-prefix like in calcite/Calcit that has nothing to do with copper. So I guess we (both English and German speakers) associate the sound of "calc/kalk" so much with calcium and calcite that we refuse to pronounce it this way when we speak about copper minerals ...

Another example: I'm always unsure if analcime is to pronounce "an-al-kiehm" or "an-al-ziehm" in German ... I think the first version is correct ...

But the relation of mineral names and German language is traditionally rather difficult, as you can see here: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=47112#47112

;-)

Jamison Brizendine

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2016 08:43    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

The mineral variety that always trips me up is Chalcedony, to save myself embarrassment I just call it an agate.

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2016 10:32    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

Pete Modreski wrote:
I certainly agree, that this is a perennial challenge, how to pronounce these names.

To Alfredo, I just want to go on record, when I pronounce those copper mineral names, I say "kalkopyrite", "kalkocite", and to bring in a sulfate too, "kalkanthite". My impression has always been, that it is the British who pronounce those names with a soft c, but in the U.S., most say a hard c/k sound.

And, Tom, looking at your name and without knowing anything about your ethnicity, I think I would have guessed that it was perhaps a Czech name, and I would have pronounced it (I think) "Mazanets".

I have heard my name pronounced that way by old people in my family when I was a boy...all eight of my great-grandparents were born in Bohemia...so I guess I am mispronouncing my own name!

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2016 15:03    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

I have always pronounced it a-NAL'-seem. Max Hey's "A Pronouncing Index of Accepted Mineral Names" (which is very old now and not always correct, in my opinion) really muddles it and I can figure out what he preferred. Will try to show what he suggests if I can.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2016 15:19    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

Okay here is the way Max Hey suggests analcime should be pronounced: ĂNĂ·LSĪM.

The A with the cup over it is pronounced as a long A, as in band. Not much help in my opinion.

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2016 12:00    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

Hi,
I believe that there is no rule. Chalco is a root that comes from the Greek word χαλκóς (chalkos) and pyrite (copper pyrite, although the structures are different).
In ancient Greek is pronounced "kalkos".
However, French Shalco we say as we say a chalcophile "shalcophile" element but Malakite said. Malashite strikes the ear.
And I say "shalkopyrite", "shalkocite", and to bring in a sulfate too, "shalkanthite".
There is no rule but only the use prevails.

Similarly, the mineral auricupride is an English term that offends the French chemist. But this is not a matter of pronunciation.

Roger.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2016 12:25    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

So, I have learned from these exchanges, that the French pronounce the chalco- words as "shalco". I never knew that! I making my comments I had meant to state clearly, that as I understand it, the usual British pronunciation is "chalco", with the soft ch as in "cheese"--I believe that's generally true in England, is it so?

And, interesting, Roger, that you comment on "auricupride" as sounding bad to the French [chemist]. That name sounds so logical and appropriate, to me in English--it's so good to have a mineral name that states so clearly, what the composition is! And it seems so logically formed from Latin roots.

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2016 12:41    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

Pete Modreski wrote:
So, I have learned from these exchanges, that the French pronounce the chalco- words as "shalco". I never knew that! I making my comments I had meant to state clearly, that as I understand it, the usual British pronunciation is "chalco", with the soft ch as in "cheese"--I believe that's generally true in England, is it so?

And, interesting, Roger, that you comment on "auricupride" as sounding bad to the French [chemist]. That name sounds so logical and appropriate, to me in English--it's so good to have a mineral name that states so clearly, what the composition is! And it seems so logically formed from Latin roots.

The french pronounce all the words starting with chalco as "kalko" - that's because they all refer to copper/brass.
Gérard

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2016 17:04    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

Yes I agree with you, but there is no French translation of the term "auricupride". This name is official (IMA).
Roger.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2016 17:52    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

The IMA only specifies official mineral names in english, not other languages. Usually most mineral names are pretty much the same in different languages, except for the suffix. But some languages, like japanese and chinese, will use different names, and many european languages have their own names for species that were known for centuries (Everybody has a different name for gypsum, for example).

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2016 18:09    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

The website, webmineral, has audio pronunciations of many species.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2016 03:27    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

Funny to see that I'm not the only experienced mineral guy here who has sometimes questions about the pronunciation of some species' names ;-)

Another example: What's the correct accentuation on "dioptase"? Is it DI-op-tase, di-OP-tase or rather di-op-TASE? The same question in German if it is DI-op-tas, Di-OP-tas or rather Di-op-TAS ...

The webmineral.com soundfile says "di-OP-tase", according to this it should be Di-OP-tas in German. But I think most German-speakers rather say "Di-op-TAS"; I must confess me too. How do the English-speakers handle it, do you pronounce it the way the soundfile (https://webmineral.com/sounds/DIOPTASE.WAV) says, that means stressed on the second syllable?

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2016 12:29    Post subject: Re: Pronunciation of mineral names  

Since there are so many ordinary words in the language(s) that are pronounced differently--and especially, accented/inflected differently, when the same language (here I guess I am speaking of English) in different parts of the world, it is probably too much to expect that mineral names will ever have a standard, agreed-upon pronunciation!

A few very common mineral names that people often ask me about, and for which I usually say "just take your choice", are peridot and hematite. My personal preference is PER-i-dote, but I know that many gem cutters prefer PER-i-doh, or even per-i-DOH. And for hematite, I normally say HEM-a-tite (as in the clothes-sewing word, "hem"), but I acknowledge that HEME-a-tite (long "e", the way we say haemoglobin) is prefered by many, and I probably say it that way, oh, 40% of the time too.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: