We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
19 May-14:28:05 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
19 May-13:04:59 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 May-12:31:54 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
19 May-08:49:12 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
19 May-08:08:17 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
19 May-02:34:57 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
18 May-09:12:36 Re: mineral identification tips (Josele)
17 May-16:20:41 Re: mineral identification tips (Jordi Fabre)
17 May-12:15:27 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
17 May-10:25:43 Re: mineral identification tips (Lluis)
17 May-09:02:22 Re: new locality from china in yangjiang, guangdong province (Jordi Fabre)
17 May-05:51:22 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
16 May-22:47:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
16 May-17:12:13 Re: mineral identification tips (Bob Carnein)
16 May-16:40:15 Mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
16 May-11:43:11 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Riccardo Modanesi)
16 May-09:01:59 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
16 May-04:58:10 New locality from china in yangjiang, guangdong province (Fmf Forum)
15 May-20:39:37 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
15 May-14:52:35 Re: the mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
15 May-08:57:29 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Tobi)
15 May-08:17:45 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 May-07:52:40 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Tobi)
14 May-23:19:21 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
14 May-21:10:18 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 19, 2024 20:23

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
2010 TGMS from the start to the end
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2009 19:10    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Programming temporarily interruped for a brief commercial announcement (also known as an Informercial):

The Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™ will have a new show program format this year. Xpo Press, who many of you know already, is publishing our 2010 Show program. In adopting their digest stye format, we hope to make our show program more user friendly. The program will contain dealer ads for the first time. Brad Hicks says he would appreciate ads, but hey, no obligation. I hope to preview the cover on this thread shortly. Hopefully the majority will like our new format, but if not, blame me, not the Show Committee.

Tamper Light,

John
Reply to topic Reply with quote

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2009 16:21    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Good afternoon from sunny Tucson. As Jordi wraps up his reporting on the Munich Show, I want to show you the 2010 Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™ Poster as promised. Since I’ve never posted a picture on this forum, I hope it turns out OK.

Notice the TGMS logo. Old-fashioned, I know, but a classic. Gene S is very proud of the poster. If you like it too please let him know… or better yet, buy it! Stay tuned: the cover of the upcoming Show guide (free with an admission ticket) will be previewed here on FMF's forum first.

BTW if you would like to buy a copy of the poster, it might be a good idea to reserve one on the TGMS website because we are going to limit the number of copies.

Tamp'er Light

John Cesar

53107.jpg
 Description:
Here you have the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™ web page: http://www.tgms.org/
 Viewed:  21878 Time(s)

53107.jpg

robynahawk

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2009 20:11    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

John - let me know when I can post this info to my Tucson Gem Show blog!

That poster may be old school - but it is stunning!

Robyn Hawk
@aflyonthewall
tucsongemshow dot blogspot dot com
and the Tucson Gem Show page on Facebook

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2009 21:35    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Hi Robin:

Glad you like the poster. Feel free to post it now.

John

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2009 21:38    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Sorry Robyn:

Excuse the typo.

John

robynahawk

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2009 23:36    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

John:
Not a problem - my fault - I changed the spelling - got sick of people teasing me about my "two birds" name! ;-)

Your poster is up on my blog - which means it is up on Twitter and Facebook also!

on Facebook search Tucson Gem Show
to see the Tucson Gem Show Posts on Twitter follow @Tucson_Gem_Show
or without joining Twitter, you can follow it at:
twubs [dot] com/tucsongemshow

BTW - did you know that I started a Rock, Gem and Mineral Club Page on Facebook? I have friends visiting from Australia and they will be in three states and we had to look all over the internet to find what was going on! The idea is that all the clubs sign in post special guests, silent auctions, annual shows anything of interest.

Robyn

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2009 17:28    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Robyn:

As you suggested I visited your blog and my wife helped me visit Facebook. This is all quite new to me but obviously the wave of the present and the future. I applaud your support of the Tucson shows in general but, in particular (no bias on my part) news about our Show.

Thanks,

John

BlueCapProductions

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2009 19:11    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

John,

Would you mind if I sent your poster out as an email blast to my mailing list? I'll tie it in with a promotion of Sam Johnson's wet sluice which is my next scheduled email to go out on Tuesday.

If you're good with it, can you send me a better version of the poster? The one you posted has JPG artifacting in the solid areas.

Thanks and great work on the poster.

-Bryan

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2009 21:53    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Bryan:

Gene S and a new graphic artist, Marnie, that was recommended to him get the credit. Yes, you can use the poster as long as you assure me that Sam will be putting large gold nuggets or flawless gems in the sluice box in February. I will see if I can round up a higher resolution jpg but I am curious if you are referring to the deliberate ghosting or the subtle Imperial Topaz lettering.

See you.

John

BlueCapProductions

PostPosted: Dec 13, 2009 23:04    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

LOL!!!! I'd mention it to Sam but I'm deathly afraid that he'd faint.

I'm referring to the pixelation you can see around the letters that are sitting on the blue field. That kind of pixelation is very typical when you have large areas of solid colors that are then saved with high compression as a JPG file. I actually like the "Imperial Topaz" touch.

And let me know if you'd like me to give full credit to Gene (we're talking about Schlepp, correct?) and Marnie in my announcement. If so, let me know what you'd like me to say.

Thanks John!!

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2009 11:02    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Bryan:

Gotcha, on the pixilation even though with my failing eyes I can't detect it on my monitor.

Yes, the 'S' is Mr. Schlepp himself. Unfortunately you have to be on a Need To Know Basis or purchase a poster to know that Marnie is Marnie Sharp; that the Van Pelts were instrumental in doing the photography and that the Mineral Trust has something to do with the topaz.

Your interest and support is appreciated.

OBTW...As a self-proclaimed art critic I would like to accompany you on a tour of the mineral paintings in Feb.

John

Peter

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2009 10:59    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Specimens; photography and lay out/design is just stunning!
Thanks for sharing

zanthal

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2010 15:57    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

If only I was able to make the drive to Tucson, it sounds like quite the event.

Does anyone make a point to take pictures and essentially "cover" the event to be published on the web, etc?

I have some experience doing such things (I've shot a few concerts, weddings, and done some magazine work), and if I had the opportunity to attend would probably photograph the event for my own record.

zanthal

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2010 16:04    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

robynahawk wrote:
John:
Not a problem - my fault - I changed the spelling - got sick of people teasing me about my "two birds" name! ;-)

Your poster is up on my blog - which means it is up on Twitter and Facebook also!

on Facebook search Tucson Gem Show
to see the Tucson Gem Show Posts on Twitter follow @Tucson_Gem_Show
or without joining Twitter, you can follow it at:
twubs [dot] com/tucsongemshow

BTW - did you know that I started a Rock, Gem and Mineral Club Page on Facebook? I have friends visiting from Australia and they will be in three states and we had to look all over the internet to find what was going on! The idea is that all the clubs sign in post special guests, silent auctions, annual shows anything of interest.

Robyn

Hi Robyn, I'm going to try and add this Rock, Gem and Mineral Club to my Facebook friends list. My name is Mike Maxwell, look out for a picture of a big guy holding up a red fish :0-)

PS - I seem to have a few Rock, Gem and Mineral clubs/societies to choose from after searching. How do I find yours exactly?

BlueCapProductions

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2010 16:15    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Zanthal,

Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it to Tucson.

To the best of my knowledge, here are some resources you can tap into to get a real good coverage of the 3-week event:

PHOTOS:
Gail Spann does an outstanding job of photographing displays and people throughout the entire event. She's also awesome at uploading them very quickly online. Check the different forums on this site and you'll see some of her past work.

PRINT:
All the major pubs do a good job of reviewing what they saw. Thomas Moore's annual series What's New In Tucson is printing in the Mineralogical Record (I think the June issue is the Tucson recap) and is a must-read.

ONLINE VIDEOS:
Justin and Brandy over at The-Vug(dot)com do an outstanding job of shooting interviews and perspectives at the show and then they post the clips to their website. It's usually posted pretty quickly so you don't have to wait too long to enjoy the videos. Good stuff.

BlueCap Productions (my company) also posts some online videos that are outtakes from our What's Hot In Tucson DVD program. Those can be viewed at our website: https://whatshotintucson.com/

DVD VIDEOS:
BlueCap Productions puts out an annual DVD video review of the Tucson show. David Wilber is our show host and we do in-depth interviews with the dealers who have some of the most impressive minerals in Tucson. These are both the minerals on display and the top specimens that are hidden away for select collectors. We film for three weeks and then release our DVDs usually in June which allows the dealers to share their top stuff with us and then sell the pieces before we publicize them. We started in 2007 so the 2010 show will be our fourth edition. Check it out on https://whatshotintucson.com/

Jordi, sorry for the self-promo but I think the information is important to everyone who can't make the show.

Thanks,

-Bryan

zanthal

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2010 16:27    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

Sounds like you guys have it covered from many angles. Thanks for the info Bryan

I appreciate the time and effort you all put into that, sounds like even those absent like me will still be able to get to experience the show to a fairly good degree.

Gail, I noticed there are some threads of photos you've taken for prior shows. Do you only post the photos and other media you take from shows here on FMF or do you have a site or blog? If so I'd sure like to get the link.

robynahawk

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

zanthal wrote:
If only I was able to make the drive to Tucson, it sounds like quite the event.

Does anyone make a point to take pictures and essentially "cover" the event to be published on the web, etc?

I have some experience doing such things (I've shot a few concerts, weddings, and done some magazine work), and if I had the opportunity to attend would probably photograph the event for my own record.

That is exactly what I do with my Tucson Gem Show - Live! blog - however I certainly can't cover the entire show and I don't get to as many of the Mineral or Bead shows as I should!

Last year I added a live Twitter feed from some of the AGTA Seminars - that went over well!

...not sure how to post links here - I will look for you on Facebook!

Robyn Hawk
tucsongemshow.blogspot dot com

robynahawk

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2010 17:59    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

zanthal wrote:
robynahawk wrote:
John:

Robyn

Hi Robyn, I'm going to try and add this Rock, Gem and Mineral Club to my Facebook friends list. My name is Mike Maxwell, look out for a picture of a big guy holding up a red fish :0-)

PS - I seem to have a few Rock, Gem and Mineral clubs/societies to choose from after searching. How do I find yours exactly?

I am having the same problem - there are LOTS of Mike Maxwells ...

Try this: facebook (dot) com/RockGemMineralClubs

It isn't a specific club it is a spot for all the clubs to post meeting/show info.

Robyn Hawk

zanthal

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2010 18:14    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

robynahawk wrote:

I am having the same problem - there are LOTS of Mike Maxwells ...
Robyn Hawk

Not surprising, so many that there is another Mike Maxwell that lives within 10 miles of me.

I'll try that link, thanks.

Found it, became a Fan. :0-)

John Cesar

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2010 14:59    Post subject: Re: 2010 TGMS from the start to the end  

I am pleased to announce that Jordi has agreed to become the European correspondent at the upcoming Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™.

Should anyone be unduly alarmed, Carole Lee remains in firm control of the media/press corps while the office is the chief enforcer of protocol. Jordi will provide his personal touch to our venue for two days and bring first hand updates to this forum, as he has done in past years, and he will continue his task of promoting the Tucson Shows and the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™ during the year in Europe.

Jordi has given his personal assurances that he will not disrupt the event and conduct himself with all the decorum of the gentlemen that we all know he is. Thanks in advance, Jordi, this new Show Chairman appreciates your interest and support.

John

European Correspondent.gif
 Description:
 Viewed:  21123 Time(s)

European Correspondent.gif

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 3
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: