We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 27, 2024 12:11

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Minimum size for a mineral museum

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

David

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2023 07:40    Post subject: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Hello,
In your opinion, what would be a minimum number of mineral specimens needed to set up a mineral museum? So that you wouldn't think that it is too small.
I won't ask about the quality, as that would be extremely subjective.
Thank you!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2023 08:33    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Hello David,
I would say only one, provided it is remarkable and esteemed by experienced collectors.

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2023 11:56    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Hi David,

you will likely get as many opinions and as many numbers as there will be replies to this question, so let me throw in a bigger number than Roger and an "it depends" statement.

The "it depends" boils down to "it depends what sort of museum you want to have".

If you want a reference collection for your country, then for Romania Mindat lists 852 valid mineral species, that's a number.

If you want to be a little grander, and have a global reference collection, then the International Mineralogical Association currently recognises 5,955 "official" mineral species. So there's another number.

If you want to have a museum that will make people gasp in awe at the majesty of Mother nature's Chemical and Aesthetic skill (ie the subjective matter of "quality" IS an issue), then you could do worse than emulate the MIM Museum in Beirut, which most collectors would probably agree has the world's finest display. That has (per Trip Advisor of all sources) more than 1800 minerals on display, representing 400 species from over 70 countries.

So there you are. Somewhere between 1 and 5,995, depending on your purpose and pocketbook.

But where-ever you end up, I wish you as much joy as I have had over the past 50 years putting together my "personal museum of around 400 mostly carbonate minerals (did I mention you could also do a species-focused museum?)...

Forrestblyth

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2023 13:10    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Small mineral museums work very well if focused on something special.
Take the small Weardale museum I visited today.

It has a small high quality selection of particular minerals specific to its location. Even with the whole collection housed in less that 4 cabinets like these, I still had a very enjoyable hour or so looking at them. Also, unlike a lot of stricter larger museums, this one even lets you touch specimens.

20230908_143119.jpg
 Mineral: N.A
 Description:
Weardale museums mineral cabinets
 Viewed:  10877 Time(s)

20230908_143119.jpg

Forrestblyth

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2023 13:16    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Allowing us to handle a magnificent 70kg Weardale fluorite

20230908_142417.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Dimensions: 700mm x 700mm 70kg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10829 Time(s)

20230908_142417.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2023 04:35    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Kevin Schofield wrote:

...If you want to have a museum that will make people gasp in awe at the majesty of Mother nature's Chemical and Aesthetic skill (ie the subjective matter of "quality" IS an issue), then you could do worse than emulate the MIM Museum in Beirut, which most collectors would probably agree has the world's finest display. That has (per Trip Advisor of all sources) more than 1800 minerals on display, representing 400 species from over 70 countries.

In fact, the mim Museum are at 510 species and 2,200 specimens presented (Salim's word... 😉)

David

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2023 08:22    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Roger Warin wrote:
Hello David,
I would say only one, provided it is remarkable and esteemed by experienced collectors.

Hello, Roger,
Thank you for your reply! I see your point. Probably you could have a mineral museum with only one exhibit, for example if it hosts the largest meteorite ever found on Earth (if I'm not mistaking that would be the Hoba meteorite). At some point people might decide to build a structure on top of it, for protection, and call it a museum. That should work.

David

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2023 08:25    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Forrestblyth wrote:
Small mineral museums work very well if focused on something special.
Take the small Weardale museum I visited today.

It has a small high quality selection of particular minerals specific to its location. Even with the whole collection housed in less that 4 cabinets like these, I still had a very enjoyable hour or so looking at them. Also, unlike a lot of stricter larger museums, this one even lets you touch specimens.

That looks very nice, thank you! I wouldn't mind that it is small.

David

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2023 08:55    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Kevin Schofield wrote:
Hi David,

you will likely get as many opinions and as many numbers as there will be replies to this question, so let me throw in a bigger number than Roger and an "it depends" statement.

The "it depends" boils down to "it depends what sort of museum you want to have".

If you want a reference collection for your country, then for Romania Mindat lists 852 valid mineral species, that's a number.

If you want to be a little grander, and have a global reference collection, then the International Mineralogical Association currently recognises 5,955 "official" mineral species. So there's another number.

If you want to have a museum that will make people gasp in awe at the majesty of Mother nature's Chemical and Aesthetic skill (ie the subjective matter of "quality" IS an issue), then you could do worse than emulate the MIM Museum in Beirut, which most collectors would probably agree has the world's finest display. That has (per Trip Advisor of all sources) more than 1800 minerals on display, representing 400 species from over 70 countries.

So there you are. Somewhere between 1 and 5,995, depending on your purpose and pocketbook.

But where-ever you end up, I wish you as much joy as I have had over the past 50 years putting together my "personal museum of around 400 mostly carbonate minerals (did I mention you could also do a species-focused museum?)...

Hello, Kevin,

Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts on this!
I enjoy reading all your opinions!
Don't get me wrong, I don't think I will ever be able to create something like that. A friend of mine with a much larger collection dreamed about a private museum at some point, but you do need a lot of money for that, as you don't get any sort of support for this.
But I do enjoy my collection a lot!
I don't think it is possible to have all the minerals ever found, in one collection, and frankly I don't necessarily see a point in that.
The MIM museum is a great reference! You can definitely see the passion put into it. But also the money.
Romanian billionaires and millionaires usually collect cars and art. Wish there was someone to replicate the museum in Beirut, at local level.
I wish you all the best!

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2023 13:52    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Hello,
Don't misunderstand my first message.
If I have only offered one quality specimen, it is because I have made multiple mistakes during my (long) life as a collector.
I have collected specimens that I do not even dare to give to a child today.
A collection must be made according to your passion and your knowledge.
I don't like the notion of a museum, because often it implies a dispassionate administration.
I believe you should avoid collecting labels, but crystals you are crazy about. The rest doesn't matter.
Mineralogy is a passion that allows you to live happily. You must refuse to compete. You can choose a theme such as an origin of the mineral, or a morphology.
What is more beautiful than the diversity of habits of the heart-twin of the Cumberland calcite? But this point of view requires crystallographic knowledge. This twin remains very rare and deserves, I think, a purchase at every possible opportunity, if you like calcite.
I would like to add a comment from my friend Dr André Rostenne : the collection is a consumer good. You have to enjoy your purchases and never regret anything.

Calcite-twin-1_R.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Egremont, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Description:
 Viewed:  10582 Time(s)

Calcite-twin-1_R.jpg

Calcite-twin-2b_R.jpg
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Egremont, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England / United Kingdom
 Description:
 Viewed:  10593 Time(s)

Calcite-twin-2b_R.jpg

David

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2023 09:00    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Roger Warin wrote:
Hello,
Don't misunderstand my first message.
If I have only offered one quality specimen, it is because I have made multiple mistakes during my (long) life as a collector.
I have collected specimens that I do not even dare to give to a child today.
A collection must be made according to your passion and your knowledge.
I don't like the notion of a museum, because often it implies a dispassionate administration.
I believe you should avoid collecting labels, but crystals you are crazy about. The rest doesn't matter.
Mineralogy is a passion that allows you to live happily. You must refuse to compete. You can choose a theme such as an origin of the mineral, or a morphology.
What is more beautiful than the diversity of habits of the heart-twin of the Cumberland calcite? But this point of view requires crystallographic knowledge. This twin remains very rare and deserves, I think, a purchase at every possible opportunity, if you like calcite.
I would like to add a comment from my friend Dr André Rostenne : the collection is a consumer good. You have to enjoy your purchases and never regret anything.

Hello, Roger,

Thank you very much for your message!
I've been collecting minerals for most of my life, since I was a child basically. I have no other goal in sight other than enjoying minerals and collecting them. I do not care about labels, numbers or what others think of my collection. I only collect what fascinates me, and I have absolutely no regrets about this or about anything else in life for that matter.
I do have a theme for my collection: Balkan and Eastern European minerals. But that doesn't mean that I cannot be tempted by other regions.
I do love the diversity of calcite! And you have an extraordinary specimen there, congratulations! I don't know much about crystallography, but it is definitely a beauty, gem quality that can be seen with a naked eye!
Romania produced a great variety of interesting calcite crystallizations and I love them all!

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2023 10:31    Post subject: Re: Minimum size for a mineral museum  

Although, for me, one specimen would not make a very interesting museum, I have to admit that smaller is sometimes better. I don't have the mental stamina to look at a thousand specimens, even if they're all of superb quality. What I look for in a museum is an element of eccentricity or quirkiness, rather than the standard fare you see at big mineral shows. Penn State's mineral museum used to have some superb stone mosaics and agates that had imaginary images in them (I think there's a term for these, but I can't think of it at the moment). Such objects break up the monotony--you want to know who collected tham and why. The same goes for personal collections--I'm as interested in why collectors amass the things that they do as I am in the objects themselves.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: