We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
09 May-07:37:08 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
08 May-23:30:56 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
08 May-03:01:44 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
07 May-23:51:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
07 May-19:35:20 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
06 May-08:14:44 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
06 May-05:27:03 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
05 May-11:04:33 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
05 May-08:30:53 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
04 May-04:26:13 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
04 May-02:18:12 The first museums and early mineral collections (by david carter) (Tobi)
03 May-17:34:53 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
03 May-16:25:05 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
03 May-01:52:23 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
02 May-21:25:11 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
02 May-10:11:35 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
01 May-14:51:42 Re: the mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
01 May-08:25:32 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
01 May-07:04:01 Re: collection of enrique llorens (Carles Millan)
01 May-06:56:28 Re: collection of enrique llorens (Enrique Llorens)
01 May-05:56:36 Re: collection of enrique llorens (Carles Millan)
01 May-05:49:19 Re: the mizunaka collection (Carles Millan)
01 May-05:13:57 Re: collection of enrique llorens (Enrique Llorens)
30 Apr-22:45:49 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
30 Apr-11:44:40 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 09, 2024 08:29

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Chemical env of crystallization of pyrite and marchasite

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Darryl

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2009 20:42    Post subject: Chemical env of crystallization of pyrite and marchasite  

In my work of analyzing the cuttings from oil/gas wells as they are being drilled I frequently encounter pieces of pyrite and marchasite in the sample. It seemed to me when I first started this job that since these minerals had different crystal structures there must be something different about the environments in which they were formed. But when I asked all I got was (to paraphrase and lump many replies together) - forget it, you can't tell the difference in the sample you are looking at anyway. Well I thought I could tell the difference and still think so and am still wondering if knowing something about the environments of formation wouldn't tell me something important about the sediments in which I find them.

Thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Darryl
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2009 21:10    Post subject: Re: chemical env of crystallization of pyrite and marchasite  

There is a lot of literature on this subject. Try Murowchick, Folk, and some of the references you'll find in them.

Darryl

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2009 08:31    Post subject: Re: chemical env of crystallization of pyrite and marchasite  

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the prompt responce. Could you provide a reference or two to get me started?

I don't have access to a large University library so I would benefit most from a refernce or two in the more commonly read geology journals. Once I get started chasing references I can us the local community college inter-library loan service.

I am glad to know someone has written on this topic. For a while I thought I was nuts or had been daydreaming while in school and consequently had spent 10 years teaching something untrue and owedd a lot of points to many students on old mineral id tests.

Darryl

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2009 13:27    Post subject: Re: chemical env of crystallization of pyrite and marchasite  

Hello Darryl,
Let me send you a reply from a different "Peter"!
Although it would seem to be a simple question, for mineralogists to define the conditions under which macasite vs. pyrite would form, I think this has been found to be not so simple, because of the many variables that operate in sedimentary and diagenetic environments. A few generalizations have I think been made (marcasite forms in lower-pH environments), but it remains complicated because it forms metastably, under non-equilibrium conditions, subject to many, poorly controlled or understood factors.

Here is a link to one 2007 paper I found that discusses this:
https://www.indiana.edu/~sepm04/PDF/JS-J38-DSR2007.pdf
from which I'll abstract:
"...although it [marcasite] presumably should not form in marine sediments during early diagenesis (e.g., Rickard et al., 1995), it nonetheless does. Second, marcasite requires a distinctly lower pH for its formation than pyrite. Third, processes that might produce the
necessary low pH values in marine sediments (e.g., re-oxidation of sulfides) are at odds with our concepts about the deposition of the rocks we find associated with it (the enclosing black shales are typically thought of as forming in anoxic/euxinic settings). Marcasite (FeS2, orthorhombic) is a dimorph of pyrite (FeS2, cubic), and just like pyrite it is observed as a diagenetic mineral in sedimentary rocks. Yet, unlike pyrite, it usually is not the focus of sedimentologic investigations, and at best is recorded as a footnote without much detail. Wilkin (2003) summarized the current state of our knowledge in the latest edition of the Encyclopedia of Sediments and Sedimentary Rocks: ‘‘Marcasite has
not been identified in modern sedimentary environments but is present in some ancient sedimentary rocks’’.

A theoretical discussion (on a rather technical level) about pyrite and marcasite can be found in the book, Geochemistry of Hydrothermal Ore Deposits, by H. Barnes, pp. 387-390, which can be viewed online via Google Books: (go to this long url, or just search on Google for geochemistry marcasite pyrite and you'll see the link to click on):

https://books.google.com/books?id=vy2_QnyojPYC&pg=PA387&lpg=PA387&dq=pyrite+marcasite+equilibrium&source=bl&ots=uPzzhio7wR&sig=QvhQ1kTGus8Ol9ri8fAF2Vry9wI&hl=en&ei=E8PUSpL8OoLIlAeB1rScCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CBkQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=pyrite%20marcasite%20equilibrium&f=false

Perhaps this will be of some help to you? Probably, no easy simple answers here.

Pete Modreski

Darryl

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2009 14:03    Post subject: Re: chemical env of crystallization of pyrite and marchasite  

Thanks Peter Modreski,

Does anyone ever get lost in all the replies and replies to replies from and to people of the same 1st name? :-)

I will print a copy of the article you refered to and try the google reference. I may not find anything definative but just putting some boundaries on the possible interpretations might be useful in certain situation.

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2009 15:18    Post subject: Re: chemical env of crystallization of pyrite and marchasite  

And to see Peter Modreski and Peter Megaw is just like looking in the mirror.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2009 15:47    Post subject: Re: chemical env of crystallization of pyrite and marchasite  

Les Presmyk wrote:
And to see Peter Modreski and Peter Megaw is just like looking in the mirror.

Oh, really?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: