We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
04 Jun-20:17:45 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-07:26:07 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (James Catmur)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 05, 2024 02:51

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Halloween 1: Trick or Treat?

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John Cornish

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2009 09:10    Post subject: Halloween 1: Trick or Treat?  

Hi Everyone, it's that time again, Halloween, and I've got a little story for you, one I call...

10/31/2009

Trick or Treat?

By John Cornish

I've learned, we all have, though at one time or another, all of us, our enthusiasm just flat got away from us and we just had to reach out and touch. Our senses overwhelmed, and we knew we shouldn't, we just had to go to that next level, we just had to... touch! Our fingers outstretched, our arm moving forward, the grasp, the contact and... Got ya!
________

I've smiled over this scenario on many an occasion and depending on what was just touched, I've cried a few times too. An agate or a quartz crystal is one thing, a fuzzy delicate mordenite is quite another!

Over the years, I've had many guests over to see the collection and while always a joy, like a twitch or a tic, in the back of mind I always wonder, what's going to be next? What next was going to overwhelm...

... move forward...

I'd been out collecting in a local quarry and had the good fortune, almost, of collecting a terrific, almost, big pocket of crystals. The problem with my experience, the mineral I'd just found was called laumontite. Laumontite is one of those unfortunate minerals that begins changing soon after it's exposed to the atmosphere. Laumontite begins to release the water within its structure and as it does, it begins to breakdown. When complete, once beautiful glistening prismatic crystals sharp enough to cut, are reduced to a soft pile of white dust. Honest. It's a real bummer, a sad thing in every way and now here before me, my big pocket...

And that's when I got smacked by the BIG IDEA! A devilish smile, wicked in the extreme, curled the corners of my mustached lips and my eyes sparkled with mischievous fires, I collected everything I could...

Fast forward and it's Show and Tell day! I'm excited. There's a group of folks coming by to see the collection. This is always an exciting time and I wanted to make everything perfect. I cleaned up and re-arranged. I turned on the case lights and as a last duty, with devilish-smile-and-mischievous-eye, I set a perfect pristine crystal specimen right near the corner of the table in obvious sight. Out and special, for all the world like a star dancing beneath twirling spotlights, that crystal group just sang! And, with my trap all set, I patiently waited...

You've probably figured it out by now, the crystal group was one of my laumontites! I'd kept them preserved but out now, they were just waiting to fall apart, to collapse under their own weight. As long as no one nudged the table, they'd sit there just perfect, tempting...

... the showing goes well. Everyone is enjoying themselves and the evening is going great and then, that's when it happens... First the crystal group is noticed, appreciated from a' far, and then the temptation begins to grow, the yearning to reach out and touch becomes overwhelming and then... POOF!

One second that crystal group is there and the next it's gone, a white pile of powder miraculously appearing in its place and covering some poor soul's fingers in an unmistakably damning mess. And like a gun shot, like a glass shattering, the room goes silent as all eyes turn, as everyone notices that something has gone dreadfully, dreadfully wrong. And the poor offender, confusion and panic flickering across their unfocusing stare, most of all, they're the one who looks most shell shocked. And the moment... just sort of... hangs on... and lasts... forever...

... until I begin to loose control and I start to snicker and then to snort until eventually, I out and out guffaw raw hysterical emotion. The nervous tension in the room reaches a fever pitch and then completely collapses as my response signals an out-rush of emotion as first one person and then another chimes in and soon smiles and laughter surround. In expiring fits and giggles, it's next my duty, my solemn duty, to confess myself and to ask forgiveness of the offended. And this is when they too get the joke and their own sweet laughter joins the groups.

Trick or treat indeed, trick or treat indeed!

Happy Halloween everyone, but watch out, there may yet be other surprises in store for you....

All the very best, take care,

John
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Idahorocks

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2009 09:41    Post subject: Re: Halloween 1: Trick or Treat?  

Oh My What A Halloween Prank!

Have a Safe and Happy Halloween Everyone!

Bat_Flying.gif
 Description:
 Viewed:  5219 Time(s)

Bat_Flying.gif

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: