We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Apr-15:20:53 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Dany Mabillard)
28 Apr-03:14:45 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 23:42

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
I love the Mineralogical Record but it seems to have moved to the high end
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> Mineralogical Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ed Huskinson

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2009 12:34    Post subject: Re: I love the Min Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

Welcome home John, I hope that Munich was all that it could be for you. As to the MR thing, I'm not exactly ambivalent about this trend (or whatever you'd call it). I view it as a reflection of the ever-changing progression of mineral collecting. At first, the MR covered almost every aspect of mineral collecting. Wendell had his column on how to photograph minerals, Neal Yedlin covered thumbnails from top to bottom ("Buy and use a good mineral book"), it was all there. It was all good. They even covered pricing. Remember how they'd have 10 or 12 minerals, and everyone would guess what they were selling for? I think they covered it twice (about 10 years apart), using the same specimens both times. Howls of outrage at what the pieces were going for. Now, however, those prices would probably seem reasonable, eh?

And then the subset of label collecting came to the fore. It became a challenge to come into possession of the label for a specimen that had resided in the collection of a noted mineral collector (or even dealer). That's because the dealer could make two sales. First, the rock to the buyer, and second, the label to a label collector. I remember buying a smithsonite after cerussite from Tsumeb sold to me as being from the collection of Lazard Cahn. It came with just the dealer's label. I bought the specimen because I like it - still do. But I wanted the Cahn label because it (the label) is part of the history of the specimen. Regardless of provenance, I like(d) the rock. But still, the history of the specimen enhances the piece, makes it more interesting, so I'd like to have the complete story. I'm still trying to get ahold of the Cahn label, but...

Aleta has a Sweetwater Mine calcite specimen in her collection (I married a mineral-collecting belly-dancer). The calcite is unremarkable in aspect, but for the fact that it is from the John Sinkankas collection. She had used Sinkankas' book when she took her mineralogy course, and when she came across the specimen at Tucson one year, she jumped at the opportunity to acquire something from his collection. The calcite holds no interest for me personally (it is what Les refers to as being "aesthetically-challenged"), but hey, to each his own, eh? She likes it, and that's all that matters.

So. Labels themselves became commercially viable commodities, thus making it more and more difficult to acquire with their repective specimens. And the MR had covered most of the basics of mineral collecting, and as the collectors' interests became more and more focused on rocks of better quality, the MR grew to reflect those interests. I like looking at the spectacular things, and have a real appreciation for them. American Mineral Treasures: holy cow, will there ever be another show like that one??!!! And the Icon (Ikon?) book. Laugh we may, but those are some spectacular rocks.

So, I'm just standing on the sideline, watching the game unfold. I can do nothing about the sky-rocketing price structures, other than laugh at the descriptions of the specimens as the vendors struggle to legitimize the price through elaborate (and often conjectural) verbiage. Hey, it's all part of the game. In the end, each specimen will stand on it's own merits. The provenance of the piece is important, of course, and naturally adds value, But whether that provenance should add to a specimen's value to a substantial degree, well, I'm inclined to agree with you John. Pior ownership is part of the history of the specimen, but whether that fact should add to the monetary value of the specimen by a factor of 10? I think not.

OK, enough curmudgeonry. I have many hundreds of feet of HQ drill core to saw, log, and submit for assay, and must return to the task at hand. At least I'm no longer sitting out in the desert next to a screaming drill rig, gracias a Dios.

More later,

Ed

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jim

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2009 12:53    Post subject: Re: I love the Min Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

Again, I fail to see this "prior collector listing" as a big problem. Where is the epidemic? I look at the issues and do not see such lists.

And sometimes photo captions in regular articles do not contain info on current ownership, even though this is standard. So, if this is considered appropriate why is it not always done? One answer is that sometimes collectors want to remain private and sometimes we do not know the current ownership. The same would be true or prior provenance. Sometimes the type of article or photo lends itself to mentioning such information. Sometimes not. That is why I argued in my last post that space willing and context relevant, I have no issue with such information being listed.

I think the real objection is not to the practice itself, but rather to the abuse of the practice by collectors/dealers who want to add to the value of specimens for later sales. That is a separate issue, in my view. All collectors, regardless of field, should educate themselves on what makes a quality specimen. If someone is swayed by provenance and is willing to pay more for it, so be it. If the collector insists on high quality, regardless of provenance, so be it. The literature I have seen that educates people on collecting (e.g., IKONS, Rock Currier's MR articles) consistently de-emphasize prior provenance as the major selling point in selecting specimens.

So again, I do not understand what the firestorm is all about. To me, knowledge is power so the more info the better in my collection. Listing previous owners hardly detracts from scholarship.

Cheers,

MAD about crystals

Jason

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Re: I love the Min Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

That texas collectors issue was sweet..nice to see some of the specimens that normally would be locked away or kept from us with eager eyes:)..sweet stuff

bugrock

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2009 20:47    Post subject: Re: I love the Min Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

Hello,

I am pleased the MR thread has lead to discussion of a number of issues.

Recent messages have taken off on the thread of ownership of specimens. Would like
to prompt another thread.

The comment has been made, several times, that the special issues and the single page pictorials
are payed for by the collectors. That's fine to a point, but after all MR is an edited publication. I'm sure they
would not pass a poor photograph no mater who payed for it. So why not also insist that at least a
little background information accompany the images?

If you display a well formed xl or an unusual mineral from location Y, tell the readers why such a
piece from that location is unusual . A brief paragraph would do. A page would be better. Even a
footnote or a fine print appendix on the back pages with a few citations might be welcome.

Yes, there are many resources, online and otherwise. I have been collecting a number of books on mineral
locations and acquiring old issues of journals. But many of us specialize and I think pubs such as the MR are an
opportunity to expand knowledge. Also, not all readers have comprehensive libraries. Some of us are recent
converts to the hobby.

In my view the editors of MR could be more creative with regard to the collector issues. They could for instance
feature a mineral, mineral group, or location and ask for images from the better collections, private or otherwise and
solicit financial support for the pub of the color images. Perhaps this does not offer the collectors the opportunity to
feature all of their prized pieces but it might allow for a more expanded suite of mineral Z images etc. Perhaps the
editors are afraid to somehow short circuit the dreams of private collectors who what to display their exemplary
pieces. If that's true its time the editors work up their courage make more effort to diplomatically take more control
of their publication.

Thanks for you patience,

George

Greg Toomey

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2009 18:55    Post subject: Re: I love the Min Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

I'm jumping on this thread late, but what I have to say I believe is very important. MR, and all of the other publications mentioned in the previous posts, are still publishing, and that is reason in itself to celebrate. The fact that these publications (especially ones that have lasted over 20 years) are still successful is that they are not afraid to change their content. Maybe some of the suggestions (most are very good ones) will be used by one or some of them in the future. Integrity is great, but it matters little (except wistful thinking) if the subject of the discussion is a defunct entity.

Personally, I wish that the current subject matter of collections, collectors and people were more prevalant when I first started collecting in the early seventies - I may never have left the hobby for 20 years. I didn't have the time nor the means to travel to various shows and museums. Unfortunately, years ago, most all of the articles that focused on collections or people tended to be either a tedious exercise in academic protocol or a misguided attempt at humor that did little to encourage me to continue evolving as a collector.

I hope to continue to enjoy these publications (I subscribe to all of them) for many years to come - often complaining, but being continually surprised with each new issue.

Greg

keith

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2009 04:55    Post subject: Re: I love the Min Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

HI

I guess I must have made a a slight error in my original post.
I had intended it to be a comment on the "lack of mineralogy" today topic initially started by John.

Oh well

It has at least started a little debate.

I love the Min Record, just would like to see more Mineralogy encouraged.

Cheers

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2010 03:33    Post subject: Re: I love the Min Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

Does anyone else find offensive the advertisement in the November-December 2009 issue of The Mineralogical Record offering for sale a mummified Egyptian human head? This is an ad for the forthcoming Heritage Natural History Auction, on page 526. In my opinion this is approaching the high end of gross. It has nothing to do with mineralogy (but everything to do with advertising revenue) and is completely out of place in the Mineralogical Record. It represents trade in human body parts, which in most civilized countries is deemed offensive if not criminal, encourages looting of antiquities, and is highly insensitive to many non-western sensibilities. Would the Mineralogical Record run an ad for the sale of a mummified native American head I wonder? Why didn't they use a photograph of the beautiful blue-cap tourmaline for sale on the same auction, instead of going for shock value?

(Dr) Duncan Miller
Honorary Research Associate
University of Cape Town
South Africa

John Cesar

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 12:10    Post subject: Re: I love the Min Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

Dr. Miller:

I found the ad inappropriate.

John

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 12:41    Post subject: Re: I love the Min Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

I recently sent an e-mail to the MR expressing my concerns about the ad (similar to Dr Miller's). I received a reply from the editor, Wendell Wilson, to the effect that he felt that accepting the ad had been a mistake on their part and that they would not be running anything of the sort again.

zanthal

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 21:54    Post subject: Re: I love the Mineralogical Record but it seems to have moved to the high end  

xenolithos wrote:
Does anyone else find offensive the advertisement in the November-December 2009 issue of The Mineralogical Record offering for sale a mummified Egyptian human head? This is an ad for the forthcoming Heritage Natural History Auction, on page 526. In my opinion this is approaching the high end of gross. It has nothing to do with mineralogy (but everything to do with advertising revenue) and is completely out of place in the Mineralogical Record. It represents trade in human body parts, which in most civilized countries is deemed offensive if not criminal, encourages looting of antiquities, and is highly insensitive to many non-western sensibilities. Would the Mineralogical Record run an ad for the sale of a mummified native American head I wonder? Why didn't they use a photograph of the beautiful blue-cap tourmaline for sale on the same auction, instead of going for shock value?

(Dr) Duncan Miller
Honorary Research Associate
University of Cape Town
South Africa

Pretty distasteful, and I guess the people making the sale don't put much stock in the curse that loomed over the folks who first discovered King Tutankhamen's tomb.

I think the only time that this might be ethically acceptable is if it is being sold directly to a museum, or if the actual heirs of that mummified person are the owners of the remains.

Remains that old IMHO belong to the whole human race as a relic of ancient history. Who knows what the significance that person might have if at some time in the future someone is able to identify them. If those remains are held privately, no assurances can be made whether they will be preserved properly.

Index -> Mineralogical Literature   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: