We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-07:26:07 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (James Catmur)
31 May-06:33:57 Is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
30 May-22:57:14 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 04, 2024 09:51

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Re: Cleaning with compressed air

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2009 02:34    Post subject: Cleaning with compressed air  

bugrock wrote:
Peter,
You mention cleaning with compressed air. -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=8712#8712
What is your source of the compressed air? Those small cans used to clean keyboards etc or something else?

Thanks
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2009 02:34    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

Depends on the job...small with precision...canned air (go industrial, the Biz Mart stuff sucks and teh cans freeze up quickly)...for big jobs a compressor...problem there is lubricants can put droplets of oil on stuff if equipment is overoiled. There are diaphram compressors used to drive airbrushes that work well for both...

bugrock

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2009 20:27    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

Jordi and Peter,

Dare we recommend a specific brand or brands of the canned air on this site?
If it's OK would appreciate that detail.

Also, if others have specific dust cleaning methods perhaps we can entertain
another thread. Even when specimens are in cabinets dust will happen but the worst
are those specimens you decide for one reason or another to place on the desk etc.
Not a great idea I admit as more than dust can accumulate. Of course one can always
wash each one with water from time to time.

Another potential subject is how to clean the really delicate minerals, those with fine
and especially hair-like xls. One dealer has suggested using careful immersion
in isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Have not tried that but what concentration of isopropyl
works best? Is 70% OK or should you use higher concentration?

Have one large rock from the Minnesota Iron Ranges covered in fine felt like manganese
mineral (like black Teddy Bear Fur) that is in storage. Really looks like a difficult case.
The previous owner kept it in the open in his office for decades and it really shows but
afraid to treat it in any way that will result in stripping the mineral away or washing it
down the drain.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2009 22:15    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

I use a WD-40 Turbo Air Blower System (you can google). The specs say:

--9,000 RPM motor with an aerodynamically designed housing and impeller provides enough air velocity to blast away dust off of electronic components safely with out creating static electricity
--Outside air is drawn in though the intake vents and propelled out of the unit at approximately 30 mph

Sometimes they are on sale for about $13 US.

Vinoterapia

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2009 03:20    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

Actually, if you want to remove dust and the sample is suitable to be submerged in water, I believe that the best is to use an ultrasonic cleaner, just add a few drops of detergent and there you go. I have one of these appliances (2 liter capacity) and use it rather frequently.

Regards.

Jose Luis

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2009 14:37    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

I prefer not to get specimens wet unless they really need serious cleaning...especially sulfides and other potentially reactive species or specimens with less than stable matrix. Dry dust blows off pretty well with compressed air (I have two types...large cans that come from a wholesale electronics supplier and another that uses CO2 cylinders that drop into a special gun...the latter sounds a whole lot better than it is). I will try the WD-40 system.

Obviously, the pressure used needs to be compared to the fragility of the sample, but I find that for fragile stuff starting at arm's length I can gradually close in until the dust vanishes.

I would not use this for fine hair-like samples of any kind since the fibers will mat down permanently. I have successfully cleaned "rats-hair" psilomelane from Socorro New Mexico with a modified vacuum cleaner however. I took a paper cup, punched a hole in the middle of the bottom, put a soda-straw through the hole and taped it in place. Then I taped the paper cup over the end of the vacuum cleaner hose and put a 20cm length of lab tubing over the straw...giving me a powerful but very focussed mini-vacuum. Using the same far-to-near approach, I got to a distance where the dust and broken fibers came off, but not the attached fibers. It was a bit tedious but worth it. The technique also worked well for removing hairs snagged in some aurichalcites that a seller had carelessly left uncovered.

Keeping dust out is a related, but separate matter. To avoid "recycling" dust I always take the specimens outside of my mineral room to blow them off. I also have pretty good weather stripping on the door to keep dust from inflitrating...but it does. I also use a light coating of spray starch on gossanous matrix if it is excessively crumbly. It very nicely keeps tiny particles from sifting off the matrix over time...and addiing to the dust budget in the cases.

fresveinweb.jpg
 Description:
Underground shot of pyrargyrite-rich Santa Nino Vein at Fresnillo
 Viewed:  15937 Time(s)

fresveinweb.jpg

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 16:24    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

GneissWare wrote:
I use a WD-40 Turbo Air Blower System (you can google). The specs say:

--9,000 RPM motor with an aerodynamically designed housing and impeller provides enough air velocity to blast away dust off of electronic components safely with out creating static electricity

Off topic, but... I'm curious whether this Air Blower has variable speeds or is just on full blast all the time? I'm looking for something to winnow chaff from small seeds with more control than a fan provides, and I think it might be adapted to that purpose if the force of the air can be adjusted.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2009 18:10    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

It's single speed with 2 attachments -- one a 1/2" diameter nozzle and the other a brush with about a 2" opening. You can control it by moving it further from the target.

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2010 15:44    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

I agree with Peter Megaw. If the crystals are delicate enough, the weight of the fluid itself will cause the crystals to flatten. His method for cleaning with a vacuum cleaner is a good one but one cannot lose sight of what you are doing. Since Peter has suggested the technique, I will provide the caution.

There is a famous (or infamous) story of a California collector who was using his wife's vacuum cleaner to clean mine debris out from cyanotrichite specimens he had collected. He started correctly, holding the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner from a longer distance and gradually brought the nozzle closer and closer to the specimen to get as much of the crud out without sucking up crystals. That is, until he got close enough that the entire specimen was picked up. He was so intent on making sure he did not disturb the crystals, he forgot about holding the specimen down to keep it from being picked up by the force of the vacuum. I am not sure how successful he was in removing all of the dirt but he did leave a perfect ring of mashed cyanotrichite crystals in the specimen.

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2010 15:46    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

P.S. You can buy a set of attachments for shop vacuums that will allow you to do what Peter has described, if you consider yourself not handy enough to construct what Peter did.

Jason

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2010 12:42    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

WD-40 Turbo Air Blower System..will have to check that out

Screenname

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2010 20:23    Post subject: Re: Cleaning with compressed air  

I just use a dremel with a soft plastic bristle brush on a low speed, too high of speed will melt the brush and could damage the stone I use around 1/4 speed, I have the dremel stylus, speeds will vary depending on which one you own.

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: