We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 May-08:00:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
20 May-22:03:46 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
20 May-20:45:03 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
20 May-19:11:50 The mizunaka collection - stalactite (Am Mizunaka)
20 May-15:43:58 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:37:59 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:32:02 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:24:04 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
19 May-14:28:05 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
19 May-13:04:59 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 May-12:31:54 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
19 May-08:49:12 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
19 May-08:08:17 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 23, 2024 08:21

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
New system of LED lighting

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2010 15:54    Post subject: New system of LED lighting  

I just thought I would let eveyone know about a new system of LED lighting that is now being sold in the UK. It is fantastic, in my humble opinion. The LEDs are on PCB strips that you attach to metal bars that you then fit to your shelves and they give a very pure white light and lots of sparkle. The system was designed for collectors so as to give true color to collectables.

I have just done a trial in one of my cabinets and am very impressed, so will be fitting out the rest of my cabinets. The company selling them is called CMCIT ( https://cmcit.co.uk/business/led-display-lighting/ ). They are not cheap but given the value of our specimens it is well worth our while displaying them as well as we can. In the end I bought most of the components from a local retailor but used their LED light engines and metal strips (but I figure that you could use any system you like as you just attach the LEDs with double sided tape).

The wonderful thing is that each LED light engine is only 3W so you are getting rid of all that heat in you cabinet.

James
Reply to topic Reply with quote

jorge santos garcia

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 03:28    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

You can find it at IKEA stores. I've one myself I bought there, for € 35,00 to 40,00, if I'm not wrong.

Cheers

Jorge

Paul S

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 04:11    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

Thanks for the IKEA tip, I checked their website and the Dutch IKEA sells 4 strips, 25cm in length, for €29,95. They can be found in the 'integrated lighting' section.

The color of the LEDs is 3000 Kelvin, how does this compare to the system from CMCIT? 3000 Kelvin is a bit on the white side maybe, but good enough for this price I think.

I will keep this in mind for when I will purchase some proper cabinets.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2010 05:51    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

Paul

I asked them for some further information and this was their reply:

--------------------------
We tested the IKEA lights. They were between a quarter and a half the light output so look dim in comparison to our lights. So one would need at least two to three times as many LEDs to illuminate to the same level. (one of our light engine strips = 200lumens). However the big problem was their colour temperature as it is too warm. Our units are 3500K whereas IKEAs are 3000K so slightly too warm.

Cool white 4100K, Bright white 5000K and Daylight White 6500K are all too blue compared to our strip at 3500K, researched by comparison over the last year. 3000K (the Ikea temperature) is too warm so it is quite critical to get the right temperature. The only time one really sees this difference between the different LED is by direct comparison side by side in a darkened room.

----------------------------

I hope this helps. I would agree that their strips are bright and the color looks very good to me.

James

Jason

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2010 07:18    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

sweet..thanks for the heads up..i am always on the lookout for as much variety of lighting as i can find..K temp is very very very important..shooting gemstones a lot i need as close to best color as possible..soundsa like the K is a little to low on these for me..I have been having to use a mix of Ott's and my 4700K together..the 4700 to add that crucial bit of yellow back that the ott's take away with the more blue..thanks anyways..much appreciated..will still go che check them out

Jack Thurber

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2010 11:27    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

Thanks for posting this.

Do you know the CRI? That's been important to me but perhaps there are more important properties.

I'll have to check this system out since I'd rather use what's perceived as a true white than anything else. Currently the light in my cabinet is 5500 K, which is what I use from the daylight range.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2010 12:13    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

Jack

Sadly I am not an expert in this - I can but ask them!

James

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2010 05:24    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

Jack

The answer I got is:

------------------------

The CRI (Colour Rendition Index) of the LED light engine strip is 90. This is a very high value and surpasses other LED suppliers. The CRI was obviously part of our lengthy one year's research and is a very important factor, as is the colour temperature of the LED strip.

p.s. there are 4 YouTube video clips showing components and colour temperature comparisons, go on YouTube and search for CMCITCO

------------------------

I hope this information helps you. As I said in my initial post I really like these for both their intensity and color rendition and have found them to be great. I guess I should take some photos using them to show the color rendition they give.

James

Jack Thurber

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2010 17:11    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

Thanks so much for getting this information. I know little about white LEDs and I'm surprised the number is that high.

When time allows I'll check out the videos and product page. What you've described sounds excellent.

rocknut

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2011 07:20    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

What is the ideal color temperature for minerals and does it matter if LED or Halogen?
I may use Solux Halogen along with LEDs and I thought something close to daylight color was best. However lately I've gotten recommendations for 3500.
Solux has 3500, 4700, and 5000.

Don't know if it matters but my collection leans towards green, blue, and red (rhodochrosite). Thanks

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2011 16:39    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

I am no expert on the perfect temperature but I really like this system of LEDs - they are really bright and to my eyes (for my rocks - lots of fluorite) have a great color and lots of 'twinkle'. I find them far better than the hologens they have replaced. But in the end there is never a perfect solution and even I still use some of the old additional external hologen lights at the moment (although I may remove them in the future). The fact that they add almost no heat to the case is great as some of the fluorite is very heat sensitive.

James

rocknut

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2011 17:34    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

That's very helpful.

Maybe I should just switch to LED. Do the strips go in front of the shelves?
Can you backlight with them?

Thanks, Jeff

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2011 16:47    Post subject: Re: New system of LED lighting  

These ones can be attached to strips on the front of glass shelves and you could backlight with them I guess. Check out the web site to get some better ideas (I just use them, I do not market them!)

James

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: