We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:20

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2011
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 15:40    Post subject: Tucson Show 2011  

Barcelona 01/22/2011

This is the official opening of my oficial thread about Tucson Show. On past years I wrote my texts mostly alone and I managed the threads as my personal vision about Tucson.

Recently I changed the layout of this kind of threads, I opened them and I let everybody participate and share their visions of Ste. Marie 2010 ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1159 ) and Munich 2010 ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1385 ) with succes, according others:

strahler wrote:
...Jordi's show reports seem to get everyone contributing, which is great to see different perspective's...

Past year, Matt_Zukowski ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=918 ), our Master John White ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=505 ), myself ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=911 ), and others we created different threads, all of them related with Tucson Show, but I propose to operate this time with a single thread (this thread) where everybody can download their images, thoughts or just comments in order to create a large thread to give to the rest of the world an extended vision of this large Show.

I will publish, as always, my daily short columns, trying to create an "every-day" atmosphere and I wil try to inform of the mineralogical things, but other visions would be also welcome here. Of course, I will organize everything a little bit to avoid a not useful, too chaotic, thread.

Of course, Gail Spann will keep her own thread -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=887 With its over 22 pages and over 300 photos deserves to have its own place.

Well, Tucson Show is not so far, please join us and contribute to make better this thread.

BTW speaking in terms of mineralogical novelties, this Tucson Show it will be the time of the consolidation of the new mine from China providing Ilvaites, Calcites, Fluorites, Garnets and probably many other fine species. It seems that several dealers will have a huge array from that mine, and the Ilvaites will be popular around.

It seems thta the light is coming to the real locality of these Ilvaites, and we got new details (thanks Bob & Graham ;-), still not yet enough accurate but seems that more realistic than previous infos. The new details we got are: Baotou League, Inner Mongolia, China.

More to come....
2011 European correspondent of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™

Ilvaite with Calcite - Baotou League - Inner Mongolia - China.jpg
 Description:
Ilvaite with Calcite
Baotou League, Inner Mongolia, China
Specimen size: 5.8 × 5 × 3.5 cm.
Main crystal size: 4.7 × 1.7 cm.
 Viewed:  76240 Time(s)

Ilvaite with Calcite - Baotou League - Inner Mongolia - China.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 16:21    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Jordi et al...Speaking as Exhibits Chair for the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (tm) I am pleased to announce that we will have some truly spectacular exhibits this year. The theme is Minerals of California and there are at least 40 museum and private exhibits playing to that theme including several "group-shoot" cases with pegmatite minerals from Southern California that should be superb. This will include the first public unveiling of a magnificent brand-new find from the Oceanview Mine...resetting the standard for California kunzite.

For those jaded with pegmatites...there will also be a strong showing of non-pegmatite species...including some secondary base metal species that may blow your mind.

We will also host the first US Showing of the 774 ounce "Ausrox Nugget" from Australia, the third largest in captivity...and pretty to boot! Another highlight is the first US Showing of the Caerhays-Williams collection of classic Cornwall minerals...recently rescued from obscurity in the basement of a Cornish manor house!

This year will also feature a group of 12 exhibits of Calcite, organized by a cadre of die-hard calcite collectors including Chuck Houser, Phil Richardson and Terry Huizing. This will include worldwide killers, pseudomorphs, twins, fossils, speleothems (sensu latu...ie not ripped from wild caves) and a half dozen locality cases.

Plus the usual array of competitive and other exhibits featuring the best minerals in the world...and dealers to buy them from.

Another "activity" this year is that TGMS is working with a number of our major supporters to replace our outdated...and overworked exhibit cases over the next few years. We'll be trying out several new case designs as well as a range of new lighting systems. We hope you'll check them out and let us know what you like...and dislike...about the designs. Our goal is to have new cases by our 2012 Arizona Statehood Centeniel Show, but we're more concerned about getting it right than just getting it done. The old cases lasted over 40 years...and we hope the new ones can live up to the same!

MTCVB ad.jpg
 Description:
Recent ad I "modeled" for promoting Tucson!
 Viewed:  76076 Time(s)

MTCVB ad.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 16:21    Post subject: Tucson Show 2011  

The topic for the exhibits of the TGMS (Main Show) 2011 is "Minerals of California".

Here is our own appetizer ;-) -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1309 and the VERY BEST will be displayed in the TGMS!

Web page of the Tucson gem and Mineral Society, Inc. -> https://tgms.org/

Jordi

2011 TGMS Banner 600x90.jpg
 Description:
Pat MPat McClain, Administrative Manager of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Society, kindly sent to us this 2011 TGMS Show banner
 Viewed:  76498 Time(s)

2011 TGMS Banner 600x90.jpg

2011 TGMS Index Banner.jpg
 Description:
And this is the large banner for the 2011 TGMS exhibit.

Minerals of California this year. Don't miss it!
 Viewed:  76479 Time(s)

2011 TGMS Index Banner.jpg

robynahawk

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 19:37    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Coming in from California - you better believe I am excited to see the cases and CA Minerals!

Peter - I can't wait to learn about something besides pegmatite materials, as that is what I am most familiar with ;-)

As usual I will be posting live from various venues (not all mineral) on my Tucson Gem Show - Live! blog - on the Tucson Gem Show page on Facebook - and on Twitter as @Tucson_Gem_Show.

BTW - I welcome all of you to post to the Facebook page - there is a 2011 Vendor Finder under the Discussions tab - feel free to add your info = what you specialize in and your show location.

You will see me with my camera - I love introducing my readers to the mineral venues ;-p

Robyn @aflyonthewall

Home at flyviewsandreviews.blogspot com

Joan Kureczka

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 19:38    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Yes, Jordi -- and a number of our pieces that Jesse posted photos of in that California thread will be present in person this year at the TGMS show.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 20:04    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

And for those interested in the TGMS monthly meeting...Jesse will be speaking on Southern Calfornia pegmatites...Monday evening at 7:30 at the TGMS Clubhouse. 3727 E. Blacklidge. No, you do not have to be a member to attend!

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2011 02:35    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

SoCal pegmatites??? I thought I was giving a photo-tour of my favorite London pubs!

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2011 11:06    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Not without samples you're not!

ian jones

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2011 11:34    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

I'll be sampling a couple of them tomorrow evening on my way across Jesse.

Probably the Churchill and the Uxbridge Arms!

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2011 13:25    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Barcelona 01/23/2011

Waiting for the "official" start of the Show (Saturday 29th January, when most Hotels will open) , in the meantime we could fill in this kind of on-line paper, trying to explain to people who never been in Tucson the skills which characterize Tucson and make it different from any other Show.

My two cents:

One of the reasons why Tucson is so different is that the Show seems to have no start nor end. Some people like Luis Menezes are already there:
In -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=15373#15373 Luiz Menezes wrote:
... I am in Tucson now....

others start late (like me, the 1st of February) , then the Westward Look opens, then the Main Show, always private homes where people are doing their own Shows... and the 14th of February, the day after the closing of the Main Show, some people are still around selling rocks, and for a few days...

Wild Tucson! ;-)

Jordi

Tucson 2011 - Stones everywhere.jpg
 Description:
Stones everywhere!
 Viewed:  75737 Time(s)

Tucson 2011 - Stones everywhere.jpg

Darren

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 13:20    Post subject: Tucson Help!!!!!  

Am getting excited about seeing the show for the first time! I will be visiting the weekend of Feb 4-6 and have 3 kids who are interested in minerals - but not a lot of $$$$!!! Which of the shows (tents?) would be best to hit for low-cost but decent specimens for them? I'll also be visiting the Tucson City Center with the family in tow to look for stuff for myself, but need a lower-cost alternative for the kids - any suggestions???

Darren

Joan Kureczka

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 13:36    Post subject: Re: Tucson Help!!!!!  

Don't discount the Tucson City Center show even for the kids, as the range of what's available there varies greatly... and often dealers will do a little something to encourage young collectors as well. The prices and quality ranges from "low-cost but decent specimens" to magnificent pieces at equally "magnificent" prices.

Darren

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 13:42    Post subject: Re: Tucson Help!!!!!  

Thanks Joan!

With my excitement comes a sense of being overwhelmed! We are taking the kids to the Reid Park zoo and the Sonora Desert Museum (one of my favorite places!) as well, so only have Saturday to do what we can "mineral-wise!" We plan to make the City Center show our first, so we'll see what happens!

Darren

Jim Robison

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 13:43    Post subject: Re: Tucson Help!!!!!  

I second what Joan says about the Tucson City Center. I have shopped there for my grandchildren and find that many of the dealers have a special supply of 'kids rocks.' Just explain that they are new to the hobby and funds limited, and ask for low price material. I remember one occasion when a Moroccan fossil dealer sold me a dinosaur tooth for a dollar, and found lots of material for $5 or less. Most dealers recognize that their future business will come from the next generation, and are anxious to help that happen.

Enjoy your visit and have lots of fun. Going with kids can be a real eye-opener.

ellencmoe

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 14:09    Post subject: Re: Tucson Help!!!!!  

I am so jealous reading posts about Tuscon since I can't go due to work.

But I am sneaking away this Saturday to go to the Oceanview Mine and hope to see in person some of the new pegmatite finds that they will be showing at Tuscon. The mine shifted the direction of their tunnel last year and hit an unexpectedly rich zone in the pegmatite. The pink, purple and green spodumene have been amazing - some pictures of what the fee-dig customers have been finding the last month are on the Oceanview facebook page which can also be accessed from the mine web page (www)digforgems(com)

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2011 09:19    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Ah, although I know now that I'd read this several times before, it took me going to the city of Tucson's gems shows web pages, to figure out "So what/where is this Tucson City Center Show?". It's hard to remember there's a new name for the Inn Suites! I guess I've "got it", now.
[Especially since most of us probably don't exactly think of the Inn Suites location being "in the city center".]
I'll look forward to seeing you (and many others) there, Jordi!
Pete Modreski

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2011 22:31    Post subject: Tucson Show 2011 - 1  

Tucson 01/28/2011

Finally I have few minutes to write something!. The trip is long from Barcelona and the arrival to Tucson is always stressing, with a high number of dificulties to fix...Anyway, between yesterday and today I had the chance to take an overview, and simplifying, the situation is:

The weather in Tucson is great currently, sunny and not too hot not too cold!

The Hotels are already working with more dealers than previous years open and selling. The InnSuites-Tucson City Center match up more dealers than past years and upgraded the quality of vendors. Seems to concentrate the dealers selling collector's specimens

The Quality Inn was operating too, with less people opened and less rooms ocupied by dealers than past years. Chinese dealers are the majority in this Hotel

The Hotels along the highway (Pueblo, Howard Johnson, etcetera...) are, as usual, early opened and busy, but althoug some, the minerals are mixed there with a tones of jewlery, cut stones, rough stones, metaphisical people, wholesale, etcetera.. with time and patience is possible to find some good dealer with some good mineral, just keep your eyes open to discriminate collector's specimens of the rest of the material

Executive Inn: big disaster, the Hotel is closed as we announced here -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=14905#14905 and a security employed is there, telling you don't aproach to the entry of the Hotel. Too sad...
The dealers who exhibited there are spread in different places, some of they in the nearby Oasis Motel.

As always, a lot of different spots are spread in Tucson, offering everything. Some serious and professional, some like bazaars. That's Tucson! ;-)

I will write some words about the minerals I saw in my next post.

Wild Tucson! ;-)

Jordi

Tucson 2011 - Traveling.jpg
 Description:
The trip from Spain is long and some colleagues from there needs a break in the airport terminal...
 Viewed:  74948 Time(s)

Tucson 2011 - Traveling.jpg

Tucson 2011 - Oasis Motel.jpg
 Description:
The Oasis Motel, the place where some former exhibitors of the Executive Inn exhibit this year.
 Viewed:  74989 Time(s)

Tucson 2011 - Oasis Motel.jpg

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2011 22:33    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Got into Tucson this evening. On the way into town I thought, on a lark, I'd stop by the Inn Suites to see if anyone was setup. To my surprise, I'd say at least 70% of dealers are setup and open. I saw Luiz Menezes, who was in good spirits, and had a number of rare species on display (sorry but I can't remember the names; I'll bet Alfredo will like these specimens). Pyrite Navajun, Donald Olsen, and Sunnywood were open. Jesse Fisher's Rogerly room was PACKED with dealers filling up flats. Luis Burillo had hubnerites from a number of mines this year, in different styles - my impression last year was that his room had a large amount of Mundo Nuevo hubnerites only.

When i first pulled into the Inn Suites, I was so amazed that the Azurite dealer was open that i took a couple of pictures. See attached.

img_0213.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  74965 Time(s)

img_0213.jpg

nimfiara

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2011 08:23    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

More photos please!!! It's very interesting!!!

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2011 01:13    Post subject: Tucson Show 2011 - 2  

Tucson 02/29/2011

This is a synthetic and eclectic list of the novelties I saw so far. In the next days I will add more details and some images. The list is organized with the most interesting things located at the top.

- Main novelty: Fabulous pseudomorphs of Copper after Cuprite! from Rubtsovskoye Mine, Rubtsovsk, Siberia, Russia. Extremely unusual, no one remember to have seen something similar. Exceptional crystal size, very good quality, exceptional shape, just great!

- Excellent (for the species) loose, gemmy, colorful crystals of Despujolsite from the N'Chwaning III Mine

- Very interesting and colorful pseudomorphs of Chrysocolla after Boleites and Cumengeites from recent finds in the Amelia Mine area. Also, it is reported that the Amelia Mine has been covered by tons of rubble from a new mine which will open soon. So, in some ways it is good news because this new mine could supply novelties in the future, but in another way is very bad, because with all these tons of rubble, the Amelia Mine probably will never more supply Boleites, Pseudoboleites, Cumengeites, etcetera....For more info about the new mine you can use -> https://www.bajamining.com/

Good Arsenopyrites with/or on reddish-violet octahedral Fluorite from the same locality as the Ilvaites, that seems to be Baotou, Nei Meng Gu, Inner Mongolia. On the other side, a major disappointment with the Ilvaites from that mine. Them are present in many places but although very large, the luster is bad on the new ones and the prices are double or more than for similar specimens (but with luster) displayed in Munich. I believe we should wait until the return of reasonableness for this material.

Not really novelties, but still new, I note that:

-The find of Alabandites seems to be copious, as several stands have them, but also it seems that no more specimens are coming out after the original find, at least in the last months.

- The Jeremejevites on matrix of Tourmaline from Erongo are excellent, not only because they are on matrix, but also by their size and color

- The Azurites and Malachites from Milpillas continue to appear although the oxidation zone of this mine is expected to finish in two to three years

Jordi

Tucson 2011 - Jordi Deusedes.jpg
 Description:
My helper Jordi Deusedes in Barcelona, preparing the shipping to Tucson and enjoying minerals ;-)
 Viewed:  74569 Time(s)

Tucson 2011 - Jordi Deusedes.jpg

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 9
  Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

Jump to: