We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 27, 2024 00:04

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Do meteorites belong in a collection?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Paul S

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2010 03:46    Post subject: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

This question crossed my mind when I read somewhere (no idea where it was) that meteorites should not belong in a personall collection but should be studied and analysed by institutes, so that we can learn more about them. Due to their rarety, I can imagine it could be a problem for the researchers that so many specimen end up in personal collections.

What are your opinions about this matter? Should meteorites be studied by researchers instead of collected by us?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2010 04:02    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

My point of view is that both things should be possible. Searchers and collectors do exactly the same with very rare minerals. The origin of the stuff -terrestrial or not- doesn't matter.

Regards

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2010 04:33    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

I agree with Antonio: Meteorites, like minerals, should both be available for private collectors and for science. Of course extraordinary meteorites are best placed in a public collection, where researches can be done and where nevertheless as many people as possible can see them.

Additional info to that topic: The Mineralogical Museum here in Marburg shows the Treysa Meteorit, the largest meteorite that ever went down over Germany whose impact (in 1916) was observed. This 40 cm large and over 60 kg heavy iron/nickel meteor even made it into the Guinness Book because of that fact. A picture of it from the official site:
https://www.uni-marburg.de/fb19/minmus/ausstellungen/samm/meteorit
(link normalized by FMF)

But in general, meteorites should be allowed to be added to private collections and not reserved for science.

Cheers!

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2010 04:42    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

Paul S. wrote:
What are your opinions about this matter? Should meteorites be studied by researchers instead of collected by us?

There are many meteorite collectors. And they have a lot of fun. As far as I know at least four forums for them exist on the net, plus a section on Mindat Messageboard.

keldjarn

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2010 07:15    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

The total number of meteorites found and thus potentially available for scientific research will be much larger when there is also a market for such objects. Such quaestions are being raised from time to time also concerning exceptional and rare mineral specimens. The public funding for natural science museums and research is so limited that without the private collectors very few exceptional meteorites or mineral specimens would be available for research or preserved for posterity. But it is important collectors appreciate the scientific value of specimens in their collection and make sure that they become available for proper study. Hopefully many will also be donated or sold to museums in the future.

Gail

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2010 07:39    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

I can see that Museums would be deluged with meteorites and no place to store them if the private sector didn't buy them. Storage is one of the biggest problems facing many museums.

Scott LaBorde

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2010 07:50    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

The same could easily be said for artifacts, yet how many millions of artifacts are there in private collections? I believe that if some scientist said "meteorites do not belong in collections", then that scientist is basically saying he'd rather all meteorites belong in his collection, or scientific community's collection for the purpose of study. Although there may be a different reason behind collecting it does not change the basic fact that they would rather have them in their collection as opposed to a mineral collector or anyone else not able to understand all the scientific nuances of space rocks. So I guess it boils down to whether scientific study of a meteorite trumps the privilege of being able to admire it in a collection -- a debate I would rather not get into.

I don't beleive that these meteorites that are sitting in collections are lost to science anyway. They may be passed down, traded, bought and sold, but they are not being lost, thrown away, or destroyed. It might be several generations before a scientist might have the chance to study a meteorite in a particular collection, and perhaps never. But they will always be around and with patience perhaps studied one day. Is it stifling the progress of science? Well that's another debate.

Paul S

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2010 08:15    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

But aren't meteorites becoming more and more popular? Dealers are collecting them at a much faster rate than that they fall from the skies and they even cut them into smaller pieces as to earn more money.

It is my opinion that everyone should be able to collect meteorites, without a doubt. But I'm a bit worried about the future and the possibilities to research them.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2010 08:41    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

Paul S. wrote:
Dealers are collecting them at a much faster rate than that they fall from the skies and they even cut them into smaller pieces as to earn more money.

Even some non-scrupulous dealers do not hesitate to offer fakes, which are abundant and very difficult to spot by not experienced collectors. I'd advice reading carefully the threads about this topic available in forums to anybody that is going to enter that world before going on. I've been tempted from time to time to buy one but I haven't for fears to be cheated.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2010 12:59    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

There are people who want ALL meteorites (and fossils, and ancient artifacts) to be reserved for scientists. These people would, if they could, prohibit private collections. But, as others have pointed out above, there are not enough scientists, laboratories or storage space for the huge number found each year. Many meteorites and fossils would just be destroyed by weathering if collectors didn´t pick them up and take them home.

Screenname

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 13:40    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

Maybe this is an old topic but I wanted to add something to it. As for meteors, fossils, even artifacts I guess it really depends on the rarity. I know we are talking morals here, if someone has something rare and special should it be shared with the world. If it belongs to that person is up to them to decide but if I had something very rare and special I would want to share it with the world, such as on here the guy who found the Okie Dokie diamond or an episode of history detectives, a man found a badge from a revolutionary war ammo bag, very rare and he said he was going to donate it to let the whole world see it. But meteors, unless a special one and fossils unless something special are pretty common and can be found in specialty stores and auctions. Also there are emotional attachments sometimes. Such as a few other episodes of history detectives where someone owns something rare of real important historic importance but also is something from their family, such as something of their relatives from an old war. The badge was found in a river but if that man had it passed down in his family and belonged to a great great great, and so on grandfather I am sure he would have kept it. This mainly a question of whether or not the owner wants to show it off or keep to themselves I don't think there is a real answer to this question but morally yes some things do belong in museums, what if someone had the hope diamond or declaration of independence in their own private collection and no one got to see it?

kywawa

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2010 03:54    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

Screenname wrote:
Maybe this is an old topic but I wanted to add something to it. As for meteors, fossils, even artifacts I guess it really depends on the rarity. I know we are talking morals here, if someone has something rare and special should it be shared with the world. If it belongs to that person is up to them to decide but if I had something very rare and special I would want to share it with the world, such as on here the guy who found the Okie Dokie diamond or an episode of history detectives, a man found a badge from a revolutionary war ammo bag, very rare and he said he was going to donate it to let the whole world see it. But meteors, unless a special one and fossils unless something special are pretty common and can be found in specialty stores and auctions. Also there are emotional attachments sometimes. Such as a few other episodes of history detectives where someone owns something rare of real important historic importance but also is something from their family, such as something of their relatives from an old war. The badge was found in a river but if that man had it passed down in his family and belonged to a great great great, and so on grandfather I am sure he would have kept it. This mainly a question of whether or not the owner wants to show it off or keep to themselves I don't think there is a real answer to this question but morally yes some things do belong in museums, what if someone had the hope diamond or declaration of independence in their own private collection and no one got to see it?

Good..you are great, I am agree you..

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2010 06:37    Post subject: Re: Do meteorites belong in a collection?  

In future, astronauts will bring back tons of space rocks, from well-documented localities, and then all our meteorites found on Earth, coming from unknown celestial bodies, and contaminated by Earth weathering, will be scientifically relatively worthless. This mania for the high value of meteorites will be a relatively short-lived phenomenon, so I won't worry about it.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: