We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Apr-03:14:45 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 13:17

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Botryoidal stibnite from Romania?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tracy

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2008 22:01    Post subject: Botryoidal stibnite from Romania?  

I recently acquired an unusual specimen described as botryoidal stibnite from Felsobanya, Romania. The mineral was confirmed as stibnite by Marcus Origlieri of Mineral Zone, using X-ray powder diffraction. Marcus also mentioned that it has a radiating structure which is consistent with stibnite.

Several things about this specimen are puzzling. First, I have never heard of botryoidal stibnite, though I am told it is theorectically possible. Second, a strange old typed label accompanying the specimen describes it as "radial crystals on ore" but it was subsequently written on by hand with the words "stibnite" and "Felsobanya, Rumania." [Based on the fact that the label at the bottom gives the specimen number which was typed on the label and the price which was handwritten on the label, plus the fact that the paper label and the specimen label were made using a similar typewriter, I'm guessing that these two events most likely occurred at or around the same time and by the same person or people.] I believe that it is stibnite as confirmed by Marcus, but trying to find out anything else beyond that it is challenging.

Has anyone else ever seen or heard of botryoidal stibnite, either from Romania or from somewhere else? Some photos are attached of the specimen (about 6.5 x 4.5 x 3.5 cm) as well as the label. The piece has a generally smooth surface with a dull, dark color varying from gray to olive-gray. Some areas are coated with microcrystals.

Tracy

stib1.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  13408 Time(s)

stib1.JPG

Stib2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  13392 Time(s)

Stib2.jpg

Stib_close1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  13401 Time(s)

Stib_close1.jpg

Stib_close2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  13388 Time(s)

Stib_close2.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2008 16:48    Post subject: Re: Botryoidal stibnite from Romania?  

No doubts about Stibnite not only due the Marcus analysis but also by its shape and radiating structure. The top is not so evident but I guess that it could be Stibnite. Also it could be Berthierite, the iron antimony sulfide, which on Romanian deposits grows frequently together with the Stibnite, the antimony sulfide.

Speaking about Romania, Felsöbánya is the former name for the modern Baia Sprie. Both mean the same: upper mine. Felsöbánya is the Hungarian name and Baia Sprie is the Romanian name.

Jordi
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gail

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2008 17:28    Post subject: Re: Botryoidal stibnite from Romania?  

Jordi, you are a walking encylopedia!

Tracy

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2008 19:17    Post subject: Re: Botryoidal stibnite from Romania?  

Thanks Jordi for your comments and observations!

The top of the specimen was extremely hard to photograph. I tried several times and couldn't capture the color properly. What I can tell you is that the olive-grey color of the tarnished areas is very similar to what is shown in the berthierite specimen featured on the mindat page for berthierite (berthierite/boulangerite from Muramures, photo submitted by "ciuturas"). Also, looking under 10X magnification, in the crystalline areas I can see two types of "microsprays" - one type has very bright, shiny silver crystals and the other has darker gray-black crystals (sorry I can't provide a close-up photo). Last, looking under magnification I also see that the surface of the specimen, when viewed from a certain direction, has a fibrous appearance to it which, judging by the photos I looked at, could be consistent with a berthierite crust.

Could this specimen therefore be stibnite coated with berthierite, and not "true" botryoidal stibnite? (someone else might have to study it in person to give me that answer) Either way, I'm relieved to know that it is Romanian stibnite, just as the label says. Thanks!

- Tracy

lluis

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 04:55    Post subject: Re: Botryoidal stibnite from Romania?  

Good morning, Tak/List

Well, test for iron is easy and then you could know if stibnite or some berthierite is there.

Do you know anyone with some lab? Not special reagents, some hydrochloric acid and ammonium thiocianate...?

With best wishes

Lluís

Tracy

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 08:33    Post subject: Re: Botryoidal stibnite from Romania?  

Hi Lluis -

I'm afraid that I don't have easy access to lab chemicals (unless I ordered them and set up a proper work/storage area for corrosives in the basement). How easy are the tests you mention? I did notice a couple of brown patches along one edge of the specimen which suggested to me that there might be some iron - I assumed it was incidental and haven't studied that area too closely since. I can post a photo tonight if it would help.

Thanks,
Tracy

lluis

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2008 16:05    Post subject: Re: Botryoidal stibnite from Romania?  

Hi, Tracy/List

It is easy: some dust, a drop of hydrochloric acid reagent grade (without iron), some time (five minutes) and a drop of a solution of the ammonium thiocianate.
If a blood red developes, then Iron

If you could send me a sample (some scratch) I could do it for you. I am chemist and I love chemistry :-)
So, any opportunity is *great* :-)

Brown is not necesarily iron. The stibnite could also alter to antimonium oxides, that are brown

With best wishes

LLuís

Tracy

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2008 16:34    Post subject: Re: Botryoidal stibnite from Romania?  

I went back to check with Marcus who assured me that the specimen is 100% stibnite, as confirmed by X-ray, and that there is no berthierite. He thinks it is a nice reference specimen of botryoidal stibnite. I didn't ask about the locality because the label predates him, but the responses suggest that Felsobanya is at least reasonable.

It's not pretty, but it is unusual - unless anybody knows of other botryoidal sibnites, from Romania or elsewhere...a fun acquisition for me regardless.

Thanks Lluis for your offer, but I'll leave the specimen alone for now. And thanks all for the input.

Tracy

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: