We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 25, 2024 23:38

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The best way to manage several collections?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Paul S

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2011 04:58    Post subject: The best way to manage several collections?  

I have been thinking about how I could manage my collections in the best way and I was wondering what your input would be. The problem is that I want to properly manage my collections, with numbering, database (with extensive information) and proper labeling. These are the collections, which are closely related:

Elements
Minerals
Crystals
Chemicals
Many other things related to science.

The problem is that elements in their mineral form can go in the collection of minerals, elements and if they are crystalline, also in crystals. These kinds of overlap happen all the time, so I was wondering what would be the best way to manage it all.

Grouping all the items in one large database is one option, but will result in a large database with many empty fields, because chemicals have no locality, minerals have no production process and a microscope has no chemical coposition.

Spreading them over multiple databases is more logical, but how should one decide what should go where?

I guess I’m not the only person who has had to figure this one out, so all help is welcome!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gail

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2011 08:30    Post subject: Re: The best way to manage several collections?  

Since they are your collections, I would think that however YOU wanted to organize them is what they end up as. If you have no plans for their future, it really isn't an issue unless you just feel the need to group them. If you plan to leave them to someone, or to an institution, then you should certainly number and catalog them with descriptions and all information. And perhaps then you might note which pieces are to go where, or to whom. This can be done with your catalog system.

I get what you are saying, but perhaps don't see the need to worry about "grouping" them as there are many overlaps.

arturo shaw

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2011 08:56    Post subject: Re: The best way to manage several collections?  

Hi

I see three main groups there: Minerals, including elements, minerals and crystals; Chemicals, including elements no minerals and man made crystals and Science Stuff.

Just another option but as Gail said... it is YOUR collection.

Cheers

Arturo

Paul S

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2011 03:15    Post subject: Re: The best way to manage several collections?  

Thank you for your input Gail and Arturo. I agree that because it is my collection, I should decide on how to manage them all.

I'm planning on expanding all of these collections, and there are already some quite unique items in them. So properly cataloguing these items is very important, to ensure that future owners know what they hold in their hands. So I’m not trying to build a collection of pieces which can be shown for their beauty only, but more of a collection across a broad range of scientific areas. I forgot to mention that I also have a small collection of fossils. Like most people here, I am somewhat obsessed with collecting ;-)

The option Arturo gave is good way to minimize the amount of databases to use, and I think that a clear distinction between natural and synthetic materials and devices is quite logical.

Is there anyone who has applied this option to their own collections, or am I the only one with these management problems?

Doug

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2011 12:01    Post subject: Re: The best way to manage several collections?  

Paul,

While I only collect minerals, I do have several different size categories. I built a database using Microsoft Access an there is a field for size. This contains predefined entries so I can select the correct one. You could do something similar if you only wanted one database. There are many options available in Access or other similar programs to develop what would be suitable for you. I am not a programmer, I just use the built in tools to build something I am happy with.

Doug

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: