We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
15 Jun-14:31:54 Re: the mizunaka collection - scepter quartz (Am Mizunaka)
15 Jun-01:16:27 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Jun-01:11:55 Re: the mizunaka collection (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Jun-22:27:30 The mizunaka collection - quartz scepter (Am Mizunaka)
14 Jun-21:37:14 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
13 Jun-17:23:43 Cimge nanjing - some reflections on this show: (Jordi Fabre)
13 Jun-10:21:15 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:20:35 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:18:48 Contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
12 Jun-09:50:48 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
11 Jun-19:14:54 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
11 Jun-13:17:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Jun-02:26:56 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
09 Jun-14:17:09 Re: the mizunaka collection (Philippe Durand)
09 Jun-10:54:06 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
09 Jun-08:26:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 Jun-07:47:35 Inclusion of pezzotaite in quartz (Roger Warin)
07 Jun-23:58:23 Re: cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-23:47:05 Cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-16:01:20 Re: the mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
07 Jun-09:00:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-08:52:17 Re: the mizunaka collection (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-03:44:17 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
05 Jun-22:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 16, 2024 02:16

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Acrylic Stands

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carles Millan
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2012 05:30    Post subject: Acrylic Stands  

In Louis Collection Louis Friend wrote:

I have about 300 minerals ranging in size from miniature to cabinet for which I am making acrylic stands.

Congratulations for your astonishing hand made stands and the patience to put the pieces together in the right place (and for your specimens as well, of course). I have a lot to learn from you.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2012 06:11    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

Hi Carles:

Many thanks for your kind words. If you and the other moderators are agreeable I will show how these stands can be made. The one shown took less than 30 minutes to make but spread out over two days. The cost for materials was about $7.50AUD for that stand. You just need a few basic tools and a bit of “elbow grease” but they are very, very easy to make. Even routing out the contour for the mineral is possible if you know someone who has a CNC machine and is willing to do it for a small fee.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2012 06:19    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

Louis Friend wrote:
If you and the other moderators are agreeable I will show how these stands can be made.

I think your contribution would be very appreciated by many mineral collectors.

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2012 01:26    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

Nice specimens and stands. I would like to see how you do the stands.

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2012 02:23    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

ACRYLIC STANDS (related with Louis Collection )

Hi Carles and Matt:

I will happily show the procedure for making the acrylic stands. You need to purchase or borrow a few inexpensive and simple tools, along with the adhesive and applicator. My applicator is a 10ml glass syringe with needle. The adhesive comes in a convenient 470ml tin, which is enough for several hundred basic acrylic display stands. In the plastics business the process is called “solvent welding” and is easier than gluing two strips of metal together with araldite.

The acrylic stock is very cheap and I use the 25mm thick stock cut at the store to my specifications. I generally buy enough to make about 12 stands. Therefore, as I need more stands I simply buy more acrylic. You can of course get 20 and 15mm thickness, and thicker if you want, so it depends a lot on personal taste. I use the 25mm! For the supports, such as those seen in the photograph of the large magnetite I use a 1200 x 50 x 10mm off-cut that I just cut up and trim with a “cheap” adjustable hand operated Mitre saw that I bought from a local hardware chain for $19.95AUD. I will include photos of all tools and materials. I will also provide links to a couple of You-Tube videos to make the work very easy. The rest really depends on your mineral.

In the case of the large magnetite I simply looked at it from the side supported by my hand and estimated the best display angle with a plastic ruler. This gave me the dimensions for the largest support, and where to place the small support at the front to stop the rock sliding forward. These were then mitre cut, sanded and attached to the acrylic stand. I gave it about a day to “cure” and then positioning the rock on the stand supported by my hand, I determined the best position for the second support. This support was then mitre cut, sanded and “solvent” welded to the acrylic stand.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but it is very, very easy. The large stand was the first and most difficult one I ever made, and I am pleased with the result. Most stands are very simple, comprising nothing more than a back rest and a small support for the front as can be seen in my other mineral photos. Of course, the cost of parts is cheap, the quality of the product depends entirely on your labor!

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mar 02, 2012 18:10    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

Dear FMF Viewers

For all those that have viewed this page on acrylic stands I thank you. I will be attempting to have the procedure up in “pictorial” form within the next few days together with a couple of very relevant and very instructive You-Tube videos on working with Acrylic. I thank you all for your patience.

Kind Regards

Louis

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2012 01:22    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

HOW I MADE MY ACRYLIC STANDS:

I decided to post these as JPEG’s as it would be easier for those interested to cut, paste and print using any of the currently available word processing packages.

HOW I MADE MY ACRYLIC STANDS.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33310 Time(s)

HOW I MADE MY ACRYLIC STANDS.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33268 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY1.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33244 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY2.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33228 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY3.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33246 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY4.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33266 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P1_DIY5.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2012 03:45    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

Louis,

Many thanks for letting us know how to manage the stands in such a magistral way.

I'm sure it will be of great utility to many of our readers.

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2012 04:36    Post subject: Acrylic Stands - Professional labels  

Dear Carles:

Many thanks for your kind words. These stands are very easy to make, and I hope others will gain joy from building their own Acrylic stands.

Just a quick note on labels.

You can buy two products either in clear film or white sheet, A4 for inkjet printers, both with a “sticky side.” You can then print the label on these and stick them on the front side of the acrylic stand. If you get the clear printing film, the labels look just like the ones the professional do! A great stand with its own great label – neat!

Kind regards

LF

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 01:47    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

In the second part of the making of acrylic stands I am going to show the materials and techniques I used to make a stand for a green chatoyant Congo Malachite. It is a very, very simple stand, but highlights the things you need and the things you need to get to do this work. It is almost impossible to give a step-by-step recipe as everyone’s mineral specimen is unique as are the many ways the collector might wish to display the piece. Later as the opportunity arises, I will show some of the more complex stands I have made, but I am leaving these until I am confident in my work.

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33071 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY1.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33122 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY2.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33108 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY3.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33105 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY4.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33111 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY5.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY6.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33104 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY6.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY7.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33122 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY7.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY8.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33091 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY8.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY9.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33110 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY9.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY10.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33115 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY10.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY11.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33088 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY11.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY12.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33081 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY12.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY13.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33101 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY13.jpg

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY14.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  33111 Time(s)

ACRYLIC STAND_P2_DIY14.jpg

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 02:29    Post subject: Circular Acrylic Stands  

Incidentally, if you would like a few circular stands it is possible to get acrylic rod in very large diameters. I will be using the 60mm diameter rod cut to a thickness of 25mm for all my miniature specimens, which are in the 3.5 to 6.5 cm range. These rods offer great display potential as it would be possible to saw them at angles other than parallel.

The same procedure is used regarding sanding, but these might have to be polished with a small Dremel buffing wheel. I will post my results and suggestions as they come.

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 03:46    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

Very nice, well documented post. Thanks.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 04:02    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

Simply astonishing!

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2012 21:43    Post subject: Re: Acrylic Stands  

To all FMF viewers many thanks for your encouragement and support.
I hope I have helpful in providing this information.

For those who may not have a MAPP burner or might be unsure about using one, you can omit the flame-polishing step. Instead, sand the edges with progressively finer grade silicon carbide paper. Start with 80 grade, and then go to 180, then to 240 and finally 360. This will give you beautiful edges with a slight translucent appearance, which in my opinion looks very nice too.

This kind of edge provides a great backdrop to those labels printed with an inkjet printer on clear film. If you can get the ones with an adhesive backing, the result is a stand and label equal to anything the professionals could do. There is tremendous pride in looking at your piece and thinking, yep I chose this beauty, and I also made the stand too!

You can also bevel the edges but you will need a special and inexpensive tool – router bit. If you know someone, who has a small woodwork shop you could ask for his or her help. I have a Dremel with a router/shaper table and I will be trying stands with beveled and decorative edges too. The plastic shop can do it for you but it increases the cost of each block.

Kind regards

LF

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2012 01:19    Post subject: NEW Labels for Acrylic Stands  

I decided to print a label on an A4 size sheet of labels. This particular paper sheet has a sticky side. After printed I cut out the label and covered it with a small portion of the clear plastic covering used to protect book covers. This clear material also has a sticky side. I then trimmed off the excess, and removed the backing and carefully placed it on my stand. I think it looks neat, but I am going to do the same with the clear adhesive sheet so I can compare a white background with a clear one.

LF_BIG VANADINITE_ACF_MC_STAND_LABEL.jpg
 Description:
NEW LABEL FOR ACRYLIC STAND MK 1
 Viewed:  32924 Time(s)

LF_BIG VANADINITE_ACF_MC_STAND_LABEL.jpg

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2012 01:15    Post subject: LABELS FOR ACRYLIC STANDS  

MAKING OF MINERAL LABELS FOR ACRYLIC STANDS

To print the labels you can use whatever is at hand. You can use a software package like OfficePrinter. Avery has a nice package that is free to download, and of course you can manipulate MS-Word’s textbox or table functions. This way you can put whatever borders you like around the text, but note that these labels are designed for use with 25mm thick acrylic block. If you use anything smaller you will need to adjust the font size and leading to accommodate the label. The end product can be whatever appeals to you, and you are in full control of the product and its production – neat!

The next project will focus on photography, lighting, lighting effects and reproducibility. I will start with the construction of a cheap, yet effective light tent.

LABEL 1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32526 Time(s)

LABEL 1.jpg

LABEL 2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32533 Time(s)

LABEL 2.jpg

LABEL 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32537 Time(s)

LABEL 3.jpg

LABEL 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32545 Time(s)

LABEL 4.jpg

LABEL 5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32569 Time(s)

LABEL 5.jpg

LABEL 6.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32547 Time(s)

LABEL 6.jpg

LABEL 7.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32543 Time(s)

LABEL 7.jpg

LABEL 8.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32550 Time(s)

LABEL 8.jpg

LABEL 9.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32534 Time(s)

LABEL 9.jpg

LABEL 10.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  32564 Time(s)

LABEL 10.jpg

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2012 03:14    Post subject: Acrylic Stands For Long Minerals  

This is part three of my ongoing adventures with acrylic. If you have any questions about the process or anything related to minerals please ask, and please have a look at my rocks - Louis Collection.

I am trying to provide something that the collector can really use, and so my aim is to genuinely help fellow collectors with knowledge and advice. Show reports are great, but at the end of the day, the collector is still left with needs that such reports can never meet!

Recently I have had some great success with cleaning very “rusty” meteorites, and the process is probably worth documenting.

TALL STANDS 1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31865 Time(s)

TALL STANDS 1.jpg

TALL STANDS 2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31847 Time(s)

TALL STANDS 2.jpg

TALL STANDS 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31833 Time(s)

TALL STANDS 3.jpg

TALL STANDS 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31859 Time(s)

TALL STANDS 4.jpg

TALL STANDS 5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31850 Time(s)

TALL STANDS 5.jpg

TALL STANDS 6.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31862 Time(s)

TALL STANDS 6.jpg

TALL STANDS 7.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31844 Time(s)

TALL STANDS 7.jpg

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2012 04:56    Post subject: Floating Displays, Museum Stands and Super Led Light  

In part 4 of my adventures with Acrylic I will be showing how to make stands that make the mineral look like it is “floating” in air. I might also include a part on basic routing with acrylic so we can place our specimens in “slots.”

I will also be showing you folks how to create a “museum’ style display cabinet without having to spend a fortune, and here I am talking about glass shelves that seem to float. The trick requires a few special clamps and a few lengths of special steel cable, but the cost is relatively inexpensive.

I will also show you all how to set up cheap, yet very effective “LED” lighting using the new generation of “super bright” LEDS that are so inexpensive you will cry. (LED = Light Emitting Diode).

I am still working on my “portable” light studio Mark I, so please stay in touch and have a look at my rocks – Louis Collection.

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2012 05:14    Post subject: Museum Stands to Go!  

The display shelves I am talking about are those shown in the picture below. They use a simple clamp and cable system, which are available from any business that deals in shop display merchandise. The shelves shown in the photograph are glass, but I might use polycarbonate. Why use polycarbonate? Simple; you can hit a polycarbonate sheet with a hammer and it will not break, try that with glass! And believe me when I say such a setup is not expensive at all, but of course to make it inexpensive you must buy the parts and do the work!!

MUSEUM STANDS.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31752 Time(s)

MUSEUM STANDS.jpg

Louis Friend

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2012 04:52    Post subject: Tall Acrylic Stands  

Just thought I would add a few notes on how much the tall stand cost to make. The back support was cut for me at the plastic shop and cost $1.50AUD. The Acrylic block was $2.50AUD and the head rest and foot rest cost about 5 cents. The Weldon-3 cost less than 0.1 cents per stand. The other materials are just bits and pieces you buy during the course of your adventures with acrylic. So a professional “tall” stand can be made for less than $5AUD!!

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: