We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 26, 2024 12:06

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Feeling crippled by ignorance...

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Alisha

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 12:45    Post subject: Feeling crippled by ignorance...  

First of all, I apologize if this isn't in the correct spot and any necessary moving if it's wrong. My comments/questions seem so vague to me that I figured they'd best fit in a general area.

I'm a newbie to "real" field collecting and am just pursuing it again after a childhood roaming the hills of Kentucky and childishly collecting the neater rocks, minerals, and fossils I'd find. Then, I'd bring them back to the house and spend what I considered then a very grown-up time in scrubbing them under hose and soap, enduring the "oddball" tag even this earned me... lol

Ten years ago I moved to Central Wisconsin and the entire land is just different. Though I've been outdoors as much as possible in pursuit of other interests I've developed, I'm mostly in the very flat areas of the glacial activity and never had my interest piqued by anything geologic. Luckily for me, since ALL my interests require the more chaotic hilly landscapes, I do live near the very edges of the glacial activity and therefore there are some areas just basically next door like Powers Bluff, which has some great geologic differences and upheavals.

There is a small creek that I believe can be simply said to be part of the same activity that formed Powers Bluff, since it's just a few miles down the road and the huge boulders and landscapes look much alike. In this creek I started to discover some of the same things that used to fascinate me, and this year I've been hauling a lot of them back. Thus far, it's mostly agate and jasper type stones and a lot of things that i personally consider really neat, but are probably just leaverites to most people with any true knowledge.

I'd like to pursue this a lot farther. I started to collect more avidly this year with original intentions to learn how to carve stone (I dabble in art and found sculpture to be my most natural talent, though thus far in maleable, shapable material like polymer). I like the entire huge intimidating educational requirements behind truly being "good" at field collecting, and while I still have hopes of carving some things, I also am attracted to the site of a gorgeous specimen all cleaned and prepped.

Which brings me to my first questions... I'm at a loss on how to "see" what is worth doing more with in the field. I cannot seem to find good information about the process of not just rough mineral recognition, but the recognition of the roughest rough, as in what kinds of features would drive one to further explore a stone? I'm low on funds at the moment to invest in a lot of different tools, but even then I hope to learn more about the most simple methods of hand chisels and hammers, but that is also not something I'm finding. Obviously I'm doing a seek and find method rather than a hard rock mining method, which would be something one day I hope to move into, but for now, I'll stick with the only source of halfway interesting specimens (even if just to me).

Thus far, I've been relying on just finding the obvious. Most of the time, the nature of this means that the specimens are as cleared from matrix as possible, but that there are still quite a lot that could use some general slight trimming and work to really make them look good or to incorporate the remaining matrix as an asset rather than detraction. Again, I'm a dabble-artist, so the aesthetics are really important to me, tho I'm also a dabbler scientist so I love when both can intersect. I don't want to sacrifice a specimen's qualities to make it pretty, but I also don't want to necessarily abandon all pretty for textbook qualities, if that makes sense?

So I'm having problems in trimming them. The limitations i have in tools mean that I only have a dremel with various attachments, chisels, hammers, and many rigged up things that I've developed to do what I want, and also a great flexibility in thinking to develop other things. The problems are mostly finding reliable, good info, beyond just throwing small pebbles in tumblers. :(

Final question... Are there any reasonable expectations to develop in prediction of glacial till deposits? I'm entering the fray of mineralogy with crash self-education and therefore everything is a delightful surprise (or occasionally sad disappointment). Since I'm using glacial till currently as my only source, I was wondering if that will ALWAYS be the case in such a source. Of course I'm going by the most basic moron definition, of being the stuff left over from traveling glaciers, so assuming that anything I find may or may not be of the area and therefore may or may not be expected as a type of specimen to find here.

I hope this rambling makes sense. I'm usually much more articulate and less ignorant, but this is a huge field that I didn't have a background in. I love this site for the huge amounts of real information and am somewhat intimidated, but am also becoming rather frustrated lately by the ignorance that seems to hamper me. :(

Edited to add: Just wanted to say that the trimming I want to do and practice would be on specimens that are the "leaverite" variety, just to use this time to learn for maybe some day far into the future when I'm reasonably confident in my abilities before I'd ever attempt to trim or shape a "real" specimen with potential. :)
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 08:25    Post subject: Re: Feeling crippled by ignorance...  

Welcome here Alisha.

All our "senior staff" (John White, Pete Modreski, Peter Megaw and so...) should be in Denver Show currently, please wait until his return to get their answers.
I prefer to let for they that task considering the kind of questions you propose.

Alisha

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 09:08    Post subject: Re: Feeling crippled by ignorance...  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Welcome here Alisha.

All our "senior staff" (John White, Pete Modreski, Peter Megaw and so...) should be in Denver Show currently, please wait until his return to get their answers.
I prefer to let for they that task considering the kind of questions you propose.

Thanks for the welcome and acknowledgment! :) I keep wishing that I could find a larger show around my own area, since I would probably learn a lot more and faster just being able to see more examples in person.

Thanks again--I'll have plenty to keep me busy just reading the other posts on this forum and in between the study, scrubbing off the samples I've collected so far. :)

Susan Robinson

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 10:36    Post subject: Re: Feeling crippled by ignorance...  

Hi Alisha,
A good place to learn about the geology and minerals of Wisconsin is at a museum that has displays of them. The Weis Earth Science Museum at Menasha has very good displays of Wisconsin minerals and some worldwide specimens. The staff there has good knowledge of Midwest localities, too. Another museum that is north of you is the A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum in Houghton, Michigan. They have displays of worldwide minerals, a fluorescent mineral room, and probably some of the best minerals from the Midwest U.S., focusing especially on the Copper Country. As for Wisconsin, they have minerals from the Flambeau mine (Ladysmith, WI), the Gogebic Iron Range, and an excellent display of minerals from Shullsburg, part of the Wisconsin Lead District area.
I hope this information is helpful for you.
Susan Robinson

Alisha

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 20:17    Post subject: Re: Feeling crippled by ignorance...  

Susan Robinson wrote:
Hi Alisha,
A good place to learn about the geology and minerals of Wisconsin is at a museum that has displays of them. The Weis Earth Science Museum at Menasha has very good displays of Wisconsin minerals and some worldwide specimens. The staff there has good knowledge of Midwest localities, too. Another museum that is north of you is the A. E. Seaman Mineral Museum in Houghton, Michigan. They have displays of worldwide minerals, a fluorescent mineral room, and probably some of the best minerals from the Midwest U.S., focusing especially on the Copper Country. As for Wisconsin, they have minerals from the Flambeau mine (Ladysmith, WI), the Gogebic Iron Range, and an excellent display of minerals from Shullsburg, part of the Wisconsin Lead District area.
I hope this information is helpful for you.
Susan Robinson

Thanks, Susan, It definitely is very helpful. The Weis Museum was already on my list of to-do, but is just that tiny distance that makes it too much trouble to do on the spur of the moment (about 4 total hours of driving time for there and back--my daughter just had a major rebuild of one of her knees and at 14 years old, I'd not be comfortable unless she had some company for the day I'd be gone). Hearing your recommendation definitely ups the interest I already had in Weis, though, so I'm going to try to get there in the next month or so. I confess that I'm a little skeptical of museums lately because it seems like much of the local destinations that cater to my interest are not much more than campy little places where information is about as deep as you'd find in a first-grade science lesson. Unfortunately, I've found that I'm usually alone in my drive to truly learn and pursue interests as an adult and therefore there are not many educational opportunities for scientific subjects. The restrictions of being an adult with a family and inability to just move across the state immediately cancels any idea of true higher education too (sorry to whine/snark so much about this, but it's a major rant topic of mine and a pet advocacy cause).

Therefore, it helps much to have a referral and makes it more important to figure out a way to get there soon.

I'm also attending the next show in our area, which is in Wausau in the first week of October. I have never been to any show at all, so I cannot compare what the impressions of the sites or advertising, but I'm fairly certain that other than a local show here in Marshfield annually at the high school, there are not many other options. Hopefully next year I'll be able to attend something out of state as well, and will keep the AE Seaman Museum in my lists of possibles. Minnesota is also near enough geographically and I *think* also near in geology that I'll be browsing the Twin City offerings.

Thanks again for the info and suggestions!

nurbo

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2012 01:10    Post subject: Re: Feeling crippled by ignorance...  

Welcome aboard
The thing about trimming is to practice, get a lot of stuff you don't mind wrecking and try and see if you can anticipate where its going to break when you hit it, some matrix will be predictable some will not, after a while you will develop an eye for these things. I think a couple of the key points about trimming are
1 ... Confidence, every time you give a potential specimen a good whack with a hammer you risk destroying it, so, the less you have to hit it, the more likely you are to finish up with something worth keeping, be bold with your hammer strikes.
2 ... luck, there is a lot of luck involved, the balance between luck and judgement alters with experience.
I hope this helps.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: