We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
05 Jun-22:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-20:17:45 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 06, 2024 01:42

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Topaz color question

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carrington

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2013 20:01    Post subject: Topaz color question  

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the stability of color in Topaz.
In the past there was a find at El Chalten which produced lovely cognac-brown colored etched topaz crystals.
Recently in Colorado the Tribute pocket in Pikes Peak produced etched topaz crystals with a similar color.

I know that the El Chalten topaz crystals are not very color stable and have seen the effects. I am not sure if the new Colorado examples are color stable. I think the color on these Colorado pieces is richer, almost a tangerine color.

I have an etched topaz crystal from Yuno in the Shigar valley which has a natural similar color to the examples from these 2 localities I mentioned above. My problem is I do not know if my topaz has stable color. Does anyone know If the Pakistan examples are stable? I presume my Pakistan topaz is also not stable, but would appreciate any further information. I like to display my specimen but am worried about color loss.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Joseph DOliveira

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2013 20:48    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

Carrington wrote:
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know If the Pakistan examples are stable? I presume my Pakistan topaz is also not stable, but would appreciate any further information. I like to display my specimen but am worried about color loss.

For the most part, I think that most topaz crystals will fade to a certain extent if exposed to a lot of sunlight. The problem with the Pakistani topaz specimens, is the current penchant by some Pakistani dealers for irradiating many of the mineral species to enhance their colour. Currently on EBay, you can see many of the very green kunzite crystals for sale that I suspect to be irradiated to enhance the colour. These will fade to almost clear if displayed in direct sunlight in as little as a few days. Some of the really dark amber topaz crystal specimens from Pakistan I would suspect have also been irradiated, the best evidence is usually if there are any quartz crystals on the specimen, as they display the black colour common with irradiated quartz.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2013 05:31    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

Brown topaz from both the USA (Utah) and Japan fades in the light, eventually to almost colorless. I suspect that brown topaz from any locality will be the same, unfortunately.

Josele

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2013 07:13    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

My experience with Pakistani topaz is that color do not fade along time.
I don't know if darker specimens are irradiated but anyway brown and champagne color has remained stable along the years.
I must add that my specimens are in darkness most of time, except when they are out off his cabinet.

BTW, completely in accord with Joseph relative to green spodumenes from Afghanistan: they loose most of green color very fast (even kept in darkness) and some dealers recognize they are treated.

top2.1.JPG
 Description:
Topaz, smoky quartz, albite
Skardu District, Baltistan, Pakistan
8 x 6.5 x 5 cm
This piece is very pleochroich, looks darker when seen along c axis.
 Viewed:  23961 Time(s)

top2.1.JPG

top4.JPG
 Description:
Topaz
5.1 x 4.8 x 4 cm
 Viewed:  23969 Time(s)

top4.JPG

topQ.JPG
 Description:
Topaz, smoky quartz, albite
7 x 7 x 4.5 cm
So dark smoky quartz could be a sign of radiation treatment but also could be due to natural irradiation.
 Viewed:  23981 Time(s)

topQ.JPG

top3.0.JPG
 Description:
Topaz
Apo Ali Gun, Braldu Valley, Skardu District, Baltistan, Pakistan
3.4 x 3.3 x 2.8 cm
 Viewed:  24071 Time(s)

top3.0.JPG

top1.JPG
 Description:
Topaz
Nyet-Bruk, Braldu Valley, Skardu District, Baltistan, Pakistan
3.4 x 2.3 x 1.3 cm
 Viewed:  23955 Time(s)

top1.JPG

topMX1.JPG
 Description:
Topaz, hyalite
Mun. de Villa García, Zacatecas, Mexico
3.1 x 3 x 2 cm
Neither have I noticed changes in color intensity of this Mexican topaz
 Viewed:  23929 Time(s)

topMX1.JPG

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2013 11:37    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

According to Rich Fretterd, who, with Jean Cowman, found the Tribute pocket, the topaz from that locality is stable in incandescent light but fades in direct sunlight.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2013 11:58    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

Please check: All Topazes are sensitive to the sunligth?

Josele

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2013 12:48    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

As seen, this is a recurrent topic without unequivocal answer. Some topaz specimens fade undoubtedly and others seem to be stable, at least under normal storage conditions.
Who knows what could happen if we let one of these stable topaz under sunlight for a long time, probably will fade too, as they do many other minerals.

top2.0.JPG
 Description:
First specimen posted before under SW UV
 Viewed:  23861 Time(s)

top2.0.JPG

Peter

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2013 12:51    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

Natural champagne topaz do fade in the sun.
Blue do not fade but may intensify.

I wish people stopped buying irradiated brownish Paki topaz.
There is so much colorless topaz of less value to irradiate so when one wants to be cheap and buy brownish-orange for a fraction of a natural one....
Well, just waste your money!

Carrington

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2013 18:36    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

Thanks for the clarification everyone.

I am confident the color in my topaz is natural, as it did come from a reliable dealer who would note any treatment done to the specimen and also does not like to sell specimens that have been treated.

I will just be careful with this specimen and the time I expose it to light.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2013 10:01    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

Not all Mexican topaz is created equal...Villa Garcia material seems pretty color stable but that from Tepetate is not. Likewise that from the Black Range in New Mexico

In the earlier thread on this topic that Jordi has highlighted above Ed Huskinson expresses a sound philosophy...if you assume all colored minerals are light sensitive and keep them from excessive sunlight you will never suffer color loss.

Scarodactyl

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2013 00:37    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

There is a faceter who has posted pictures of a couple of topazes he's faceted from the Tribute Pocket material. He says that he left one of the stones in sunlight and it appeared to be stable. I don't know for how long though.

I have yet to find a Pakistani igneous topaz which did not fade to colorless when exposed to sufficient sunlight (a depressingly small amount, only a few hours of direct exposure). That said, I believe that the specimens I have tested have all been irradiated, as evinced by color zoning that I would describe, in technical terms, as "wiggidy" (internal phantoms, only one edge being colored, tiger stripe patterns, etc etc). As Peter said these irradiated stones are sort of a waste of money, but they seem to hold fine if not constantly exposed to light, and the highly unnatural color zoning and very distinct pleochroism make them amusing regardless.

Metamorphically-formed topaz from Katlang is a very different beast. Katlang is famous for its chromium-colored (and thus color-stable) pink-to-magenta topaz, but a parcel I purchased were an intense fanta orange color with hints of red (not perfectly conveyed in the attached photo, but it gives an idea). These stones occur in metacarbonates similar to fine Brazilian stones and have a similar crystal form, with classic "imperial"-looking terminations, though they tend to be etched. Long story short, the color of these stones was likely the result of this material's unique response to irradiation, and quickly faded in sunlight down to a pale pink-champagne color, with pink most visible on the AB axes and yellow down the C. This color is, according to an article in Gems and Gemmology, the result of a tiny pinch of chromium (much less than the precious pinks) and as such is unlikely to undergo any further fading. And this was indeed my experience--the orange color was gone in three days, but the pink was unaffected by a further two weeks of summer sun exposure.

When it comes to Mexican topaz, the famous gem material from the Guerrero mine (from the 50s and 70s, long closed now) is known for its color stability (though it is not a universal property of all stones from there). These stones show a tan AB color, and a peach-to-bloodred c-axis color, quite unlike other Mexican topaz I have seen. I have left a parcel of these in direct sunlight for two weeks and not observed any noticeable change.

I also have a small parcel of coffee-brown topaz that my father purchased as colorless stones when he was in college, and subsequently had irradiated at his college (good old days). They look a lot like San Luis material. Decades of indoor storage later they have all of their color, but give one a couple hours in direct sunlight and they're back to their natural colorless state.

@Joseph: When it comes to color instability, perhaps the spodumene family, irradiated and natural alike, can serve as a reminder that, for topaz, it could still be worse.

DSC03167.JPG
 Description:
Topaz
Ghundao Hill (north of Katlang), Pakistan
Ranging from 1 to 50 grams in weight.
Topaz from Katlang with impressive but short-lived orange color, likely induced by radiation treatment.
 Viewed:  23538 Time(s)

DSC03167.JPG

katlangfaded.jpg
 Description:
Topaz
Ghundao Hill (north of Katlang), Pakistan
15 x 16 x 16 mm
Post-fading color. AB-axis color shown, with maximum pink. The color is more yellow down the C. This color appears to be completely stable.
 Viewed:  23526 Time(s)

katlangfaded.jpg

disconeckted

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2013 15:15    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

Paki and Russian pink topaz ownership was restricted to the Czar and his family and those to who he gave it as a gift. They must keep their specimens in the dark!

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2013 02:45    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

Hi to everybody!
The issue about colours of topaz is not so difficult: if topaz is just irradiated, electrons get imprisoned in the ALREADY existing colour centers and colour the crystals in pale blue, or orange, or pink...
If the specimen is submitted to radioactive bumbing, NEW colour centers are created and a successive irradiation give it a much more intensive colour (i.e. an intensive brilliant blue, or orange, or pink...). But you have to pay attention in wearing it: those specimens are somewhat radioactive! If you keep just as a collection specimen it's ok, as well as we usually keep our uraninites etc. If our ladies wear it every day, it might be somewhat dangerous.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2013 14:35    Post subject: Re: Topaz color question  

Thanks Pete, for the reference re photosensitivity.. When will we be seeing something in print on Santa Eulalia? Just curious as to whether you have a sense of it yet.

''sta luego,

Ed

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: