We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 06:20

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Favourite Fluorites?
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
  Index -> Favourite Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

GneissWare

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2009 16:32    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Carles,
Very nice specimen!!
Bob
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2009 17:27    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

I wondered how long it would take before the single pocket from an obscure mine, and especially owned by one collector, would surface as someone's recommendation for one of the top five fluorite localities in the world. For me, one of the tests of a top locality is quality and quantity of quality specimens, especially for a common mineral like fluorite. How can anyone judge whether this locality should be considered when the people who have seen the specimens are as scarce as the actual specimens? Apparently, the only way I can see one of theise specimens is to go Tucson or somewhere in Europe.

jimB

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2009 22:50    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Jesse Fisher wrote:
Jim, I recall that there is an international event of some note in your home town each year. Are you volunteering?

Jesse, darned if I dont think you are right, legend has it there is a rock fest near by.
I think Im about to get sucked into a T N vortex with a Texan, Ill know more tomorrow. Ill have to think carefully about doing two cases. If they are 6 foot wood and side by side I think it could be done. Through this site would be a help. Ill consider it .

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 09:53    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

A small contribution to the thread. A picture of my favourite fluorite I got from Jesse. From the Dodgy Bugger Area if I remember well. Jesse, remind me if I'm right or wrong.

Christophe

06-043-Front.jpg
 Description:
Picture of Jesse Fisher.
 Viewed:  31575 Time(s)

06-043-Front.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 09:55    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Jim,
A six-foot case of thumbnails? What's this supposed to be, a vision test for all us old farts? Fluorite sounds much more fun. Go talk to Peter, he says he's always looking for more good displays.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 10:06    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

chris wrote:
A small contribution to the thread. A picture of my favourite fluorite I got from Jesse. From the Dodgy Bugger Area if I remember well. Jesse, remind me if I'm right or wrong

Hello Chris,
The fluorite and galena on white quartz is definitely from the West Cross Cut area of the mine. If the inventory number on the specimen begins with "06" then it is from the Dodgy Bugger pocket as that's the year we worked it.

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 11:27    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Perhaps everyone is saturated with the Riemvasmaak fluorites in the recent Mineralogical Record, but here goes with a recent acquisition. The inclusions are pyrite and the nibbled-looking points are not dinged, but have multiple crystal points. All the Riemvasmaak fluorites are treated with hydrofluoric acid to remove a drusy quartz coating. The trick is to coat the wanted quartz matrix with wax to protect it from the acid and then dissolve the wax off later. This photograph was taken with natural back lighting to show the transparency and colour.

Fluorite 059.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite, Riemvasmaak, Kakamas, Northern Cape Province, South Africa. Specimen 9 x 8 cm. Largest crystal 4 cm.
 Viewed:  31479 Time(s)

Fluorite 059.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 13:11    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Not saturated with Riemvasmaak (yet).

80 mm x 56 mm x 35 mm. Largest fluorite crystal: 20 mm on edge.

More info at https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=5786#5786

3189M-fluorite.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31453 Time(s)

3189M-fluorite.jpg

3189M-fluorite1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  31458 Time(s)

3189M-fluorite1.jpg

Turbo

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 15:53    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

I don't have any fluorite in my collection yet, but I've always been blown away by the purple/green octahedrals from De'An Mine, China. I really want one of these. Are they hard to get?

Carles has got one here:
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=6556#6556

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 16:30    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Turbo wrote:
I don't have any fluorite in my collection yet, but I've always been blown away by the purple/green octahedrals from De'An Mine, China. I really want one of these. Are they hard to get?

Hi Turbo!

Such fluorites are easy to find at any show and are not expensive at all. Look for them especially at Chinese booths. However, many collectors don't like them since they have been etched with hydrofluoric acid to remove the quartz matrix. And unfortunately the etching is very noticeable.

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 16:53    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

There are a number of fluorites that are etched out of quartz. Pine Canyon, New Mexico and the other Chinese occurrence with the pure white quartz and individual deep purple crystals come to mind, in addition to some of the localities already posted on this thread. Badly treated fluorites are not fun to look at but properly etched and treated afterwards, they can be quite good.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2009 17:12    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Les Presmyk wrote:
Badly treated fluorites are not fun to look at but properly etched and treated afterwards, they can be quite good.

An excellent example of properly etched fluorites are the Riemvasmaak's. People who work there with wax (not to mention with hydrofluoric acid) must be very skilled since it is almost impossible to notice the trick, unless somebody tells you.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 08:55    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Somebody wrote:
All the Riemvasmaak fluorites are treated with hydrofluoric acid...

About the hydrofluoric acid, that has been mentioned above several times, I feel obliged to emphasize that its use must be strongly discouraged, even when wearing gloves and goggles, since it is an extremely dangerous product. I have no idea about how the Chinese and South African mineral dealers and field collectors manage this chemical, but you'd better NEVER use it on your own.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 11:25    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Fluorine has not been referred to as the "tiger of chemistry" without reason. HF is an exceedingly dangerous chemical and should not be used by anyone who does not have training in laboratory safety and access to professional-level laboratory equipment. There is a fairly extensive discussion of HF and it's hazards on the Mindat message board.

The Chinese do seem rather fond of using the stuff to remove quartz from a lot of their fluorites, which often leaves the specimens with a somewhat burnt or melted appearance if overdone. I shudder to think of how many people may have been injured or even killed by careless handling of the stuff.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 17:31    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Because of the way the discussion has been hopping around between various fluorite localities, and the comments & responses aren't always in sequential order, it's sometimes being hard (for this poor reader, at least) to interpret which comments refer to which localities. I'm still not sure what Les was referring to...

[quote="Les Presmyk"]I wondered how long it would take before the single pocket from an obscure mine, and especially owned by one collector, would surface as someone's recommendation for one of the top five fluorite localities in the world.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I can even guess; perhaps I just am not familiar enough with all the localities that have been mentioned. And likewise, the Dodgy Bugger area, and West Cross Cut--those are Elmwood, I presume?? And I probably need to read carefully through all the posts to figure out where La Collada is... that's in the Berbes area, I presume? [Please don't misunderstand, not complaining, just... not picking up the meaning of all that's been said.]

Again, I've enjoyed getting a virtual tour and discussion of a lot of these "popular" fluorite localities. Thinking some more about "which are the favourites", irrespective of different folks' different criteria (some have a high regard for beautifully xllzd micro and TN specimens; some would only rate a locality "first class" if many of the specimens are just... bigger), I've been thinking that the "world's favourite" localities would simply be those that have that special "pizzazz" (if that's in everyone's international vocabulary?) that makes the fluorites from there, really outstanding, really special, "no fluorite exhibit would be complete without them". Does a locality only recently producing spectacular specimens (Riemvasmaak) rank in the same class with those that have been "classic" for a century or more? (probably, it does) And even if the fluorite has to be exhumed via hydrofluoric acid? (still probably, yes). So as I think about "favorite" localities, what do I absolutely feel belongs in that category? Anticipating the "organization" of what's been posted on this topic, I would list for a start fluorite from:

Weardale
Swiss Alps
Riemvasmaak

and just stop there, everything else being "negotiable" (oh, I think Asturias would make the top list too... perhaps). Oh, and I just checked back to the earliest posts on this topic, of course, I do see that La Collada is in Asturias.
Cheers, all,
Pete

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2009 21:14    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

What a great thread. I have enjoyed the great pictures and discussion and this, plus the Northern Areas, Pakistan map that i saw on this or another thread has lead me to the website of Carles Millan, which has a large number of great pictures to look at. Thanks all and thanks Carles - Carles do you have any other maps reconciling locality info?

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2009 02:44    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Very soon -this afternoon, spanish hour- I'll be able to upload again the list of localities checked and completed.

Regarding the last comments I think that giving criteria to choose a locality is interesting but maybe it exceeds the contents of this thread. I have read: quality, quantity, but also rarity. I totally agree with Pete: "no fluorite exhibit would be complete without them". It's a simple criterion but effective. Please take it into account when voting.

Regards

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2009 09:33    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

To Pete Modreski, thank you for your question about which locality I was referring to. The locality was Malberget, Sweden, with comments by JimB and Peter on October 8. How can anyone consider a locality for fluorite in the top five or ten or even twenty in the world when apparently four collectors in the world even know about these specimens? It sounds like one I would like to acquire for Paula's collection but I have never even seen one.

I was not trying to set locality criteria, just trying to point out that single, small pockets will not qualify, for several reasons. The practical side is that if we take a vote, only a few people will vote for this Swedish locality anyway, or any other locality that is locally known and without specimens that have entered the market.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2009 10:29    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Les,
This was exactly my point in commenting about the blue fluorites from the West Cumbrian ironnmines in England. They can be lovely, but there were so few that not many cololectors will ever have encountered them. I have seen a couple of the Malberget fluorites, and can attest to tthe fact that they are surperb. However, they are truly rare and thus I don't think can be considered in the world's top fluorite-producing localities.

Taking both quality and quantity of specimens produced into consideration, my nominations for top ten are:

North Pennines Orefield, England (Blotsburn, Hilton, Rogerley, Heights, etc.)
S. Illinios Fluorspar District (Denton, Minerva #1, Annabel Lee, etc.)
Asturias, Spain (Berbes, La Collada, Moscana, Emilio, etc)
Elmwood Mine
La Mine du Burc, France
Mt. Blanc Massif, Chamonix, France
Erzgiberg Region, Saxony, Germany
Okorusu, Namibia
Dalnegorsk, Russia
Hunan Province, China (Shangbao, Xianghualing, Yaogangxian, etc.)

Cheers,
Jesse

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2009 13:03    Post subject: Re: For the fluorite lovers: What are your favourite localities?  

Hi all

Following these lines I am going to post a final list of localities for voting. Please vote just 5 localities in order of priority (first your favorite, second the second one, etcetera...)

Don't worry if you have just voted. I'll pick up the votes posted until now. After voting I will upload the results and an extended list with all the mines you have mentioned, so we can have both lists at our disposal.

Please, vote via pm sending me a message. If not, the thread could be unnecessarily long. I suggest a week term for voting.

Thank you all and I'm looking forward to know the results.

Cheers,
Antonio

EUROPE

United Kingdom

1. North Pennines Orefield, (including Rogerley, Hitlton, Botsburn, Rotherhope Fell, Florence Mine, Ullcoats Mine…)
2. Castleton, Derbyshire
3. Crich Quarry, Crich, Derbyshire

Germany

4. Wölsendorf, Bavaria
5. Saxony (including Freiber, Erzgiberg,…)
5 B. Rottleberode, Stolberg, Harz Mts, Saxony-Anhalt
6. Baden-Württemberg (including Wieden Area, Clara Mine, Hesselbach Mine, Münstertal…)

Switzerland

7. Zingenstock-Gerstenegg-Sommerloch
8. Planggenstock Mt., Göscheneralp, Göschenen Valley, Uri

Italy

9. Is Murvonis Mine, Domusnovas, Carbonia-Iglesias Province, Sardinia

France

10. Mont Blanc, French Alps
11. Midi-Pyrénées (including Le Burg Mine, Valzergues)
12. Buxières-les-Mines, Allier, Auvergne

Spain

13. Asturias (including La Collada Mine, Emilio Mine, Berbes, Moscona Mine…)
14. Arteixo, A Coruña (La Coruña)
15. Berta Quarry, El Papiol, Barcelona

Sweden

16. Malmberget, Gällivare, Lappland

Norway

17. Kongsberg silver Mines, Buskerud Fylke

Austria

18. Salzburg (including Weißeck Mt., Hirschau Quarry)

AMERICA

USA

19. Blanchard Mine, New Mexico
20. Fluorspar district, Illinois (Denton, Minerva #1, Annabel Lee, Cave in Rock)
21. Elmwood mine, Carthage, Tennessee
22. Hardin County, Illinois
23. Pine Canyon Deposit, West Burro Mts, Burro Mountains District, Grant Co., New Mexico
24. American Tunnel, Howardsville, Silverton, San Juan Co, Colorado
25. William Wise Mine, Westmoreland, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire
26. Oatman District, Black Mts, Mohave Co., Arizona
27. Penfield, Monroe Co, New York

MEXICO

28. Naica, Chihuahua
29. Tule Mine, Melchor Muzquiz, Coahuila

PERU

30. Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department

AFRICA

Namibia

31. Okorusu Mine (Okarusu Mine), Otjiwarongo District, Otjozondjupa Region
32. Erongo Mts.

Morocco

33. Meknès-Tafilalet Region (including El Hamman Mine, Erfoud, Tounfit, Aouli)

South Africa

34. Riemvasmaak, Kakamas District, Northern Cape Province

ASIA

Pakistan

35. Chumar Bakhoor, Hunza Valley, Gilgit District, Northern Areas

China

36. Hunan Province (including Shangbao Pyrite Mine, Yaogangxian Mine, Xianghualing Mine, Xianghuapu Mine

India

37. Mahodari, Nasik District, Maharashtra

Japan

38. Obira mine, Ono-gun, Oita prefecture, Kyushu Island

Russia

39. Dal'negorsk, Primorskiy Kray, Far-Eastern Region

Index -> Favourite Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 4 of 12
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  

Jump to: