We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 27, 2024 21:11

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Helpful hints for field collectors

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 05:33    Post subject: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Thought I might introduce a new topic here. This idea came to me after seeing something similar to the photo shown here in the background of a photo that appeared on this Forum a long time ago. Most of you who have done much field collecting have surely been to sites where there was no water nearby. This is a real problem when the specimens you are extracting are so dirty that you really cannot see what you have. Therefore, with a device like the one in the photo you can have your own portable washing system right where you are digging. Not only can you wash off specimens as they come out of the ground, but you can do so with a strong jet of water which will help to blast off some of the tougher dirt. This particular container holds about 6 liters.

DSCN1436 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  17399 Time(s)

DSCN1436 (2).JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 05:37    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

A really useful tool that I have seen for sale only in Europe and not in the U.S. is the chisel shown here with a protective plastic attachment that greatly reduces the number of times a rock hammer ends up hitting the hand of the person holding the chisel. This great tool has spared me many a badly bruised hand. I suppose it must be available in the U.S. but I have not seen it being sold here.

DSCN1437 (2).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  17403 Time(s)

DSCN1437 (2).JPG

Jason

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 09:22    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Home Depot and Lowes carries those type chisels..pointed, flat-head, wide flat-head..I probably have 10-12 different kinds with the hand guard..word to the wise if you buy those chisels or any chisels for that matter..spend the extra $10 on the better ones..the steel is much better and last longer than on the cheap ones..you can grind the points only so many times before you lose the metals temper

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 10:58    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Must be the season to think about gizmos and gadgets...noting like hoping to get something really useful for Christmas instead of another necktie! Apparently Estwing has discontinued their classic gad-pry bar, but this is hands down the most useful collecting tool I've ever used. I stopped using a rock pick for underground work years ago and rely on a 3 lb hand sledge and one of these instead. You can move almost anything, get a crack opened easily and it weighs about 1/2 kg! I've left them with mine geologists all over the world...and gotten some super specimens in return. You can still find them here and there on the internet...

Should also point out another classic reference on collecting by the one and only John Sinkankis, who sems to have published more useful books that have been forgotten than most people have ever thought about publishing. Called "Gemstones and Minerals" (Van Nostrand, 1961), it sounds like another picture book...but isn't, this book is jam packed with practical field collecting advice...including designs for some really useful pry bars in a range of sizes. The physics of where the levers are positioned and how to make them work in rocks was very well thought out. You need to find a good blacksmith to make them...I did and it has paid off for years.

Probably a good time to mention again John's "Gemstone and Mineral Databook" given some of the cleaning threads that have reappeared recently. This is a fantastic compendium of mineralogical information, with an excellent section on cleaning and proper handling of chemicals. Also out of print, but available if you look around

gad pry.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17365 Time(s)

gad pry.jpg

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 11:05    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Not a thing I would add to what Peter has written. I have also lost more gad bars than I have worn out but if I could only have three collecting tools, they would be a 3 pound sledge, a gad-pry bar and a screwdriver. The books are dead-on as well.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 12:53    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Last summer at the Rogerley we took several broken four and five-foot drill steels to a local blacksmith and had chisel and maul points put onto them. With one person holding and another smacking the end with a five or ten pound hammer, a lot of rock can be moved. If swinging the ten-pounder, the trade off between job functions can be fairly rapid, however.

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 13:23    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

So, far all of the technologic advances in the world, you have returned to double jacking at the Rogerly, mining technology that dates back over 120 years. Interesting.

Tom Tucker

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 16:12    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

While the chisle with the attached rubber or plastic shield might be useful, I would prefer a device to hold a regular chisel in the same manner that a rock hammer handle positions the pointed end of the head. I usually use my hammer in that manner, and I know it's a big no - no. But it works so well. I think it's Mike Bergman who can tell a horror story about using a hammer in that manner.
I'm told that such a tool exists, but I haven't yet found it. Merry Christmas, Tom

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 19:28    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Les:

When are you going to tell Jesse what happens over an extended period of time of hitting the end of a piece of drill steel with a 10# sledge? Remember "Deep Throat"?

John

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 20:23    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Hey John,...this is a family site, let's keep it clean! ;-)

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 20:25    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Tom Tucker wrote:
While the chisle with the attached rubber or plastic shield might be useful, I would prefer a device to hold a regular chisel in the same manner that a rock hammer handle positions the pointed end of the head. I usually use my hammer in that manner, and I know it's a big no - no. But it works so well. I think it's Mike Bergman who can tell a horror story about using a hammer in that manner.
I'm told that such a tool exists, but I haven't yet found it. Merry Christmas, Tom

I have seen a couple of home-made devices to do this, but nothing commercial.

BTW: Mike can tell horror stories about several things...like HF

John Cesar

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2009 00:04    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Peter

This was a reference to a certain gentleman with a deep melodic voice and an affinity for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't know what you can be referring to - I have 6 grandkids and an Italian Greyhound. I still don't recommend drill steel.

Have a good Christmas!

John

Jack Thurber

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2009 04:59    Post subject: Re: Helpful hints for field collectors  

Thanks so much for the tips.

A used copy of the book is on it's way to me. ...and I've ordered what is supposed to be the same pry bar made by a new manufacturer - Kindersley North. The language below is the product description from the Web site from which it was purchased. Hopefully the tool is still made as well as it was in the past.

"This is the same tool that was manufactured by Estwing for many years. Estwing has discontinued manufacturing the Gad-Pry Bar and Kindersley North has taken up production of this item. It is the same size, weight, and temper as what was being manufactured by Estwing. It is just that we can't call it an Estwing tool any longer, but, it is the same tool."

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: