We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
16 Jun-10:28:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
16 Jun-08:27:02 Re: collection of michael shaw - fluorite (Michael Shaw)
15 Jun-14:31:54 Re: the mizunaka collection - scepter quartz (Am Mizunaka)
15 Jun-01:16:27 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Jun-01:11:55 Re: the mizunaka collection (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Jun-22:27:30 The mizunaka collection - quartz scepter (Am Mizunaka)
14 Jun-21:37:14 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
13 Jun-17:23:43 Cimge nanjing - some reflections on this show: (Jordi Fabre)
13 Jun-10:21:15 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:20:35 Re: contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
13 Jun-10:18:48 Contributions of dr. C. Menor-salván - the chromate-rich mimetite from nakhlak - (48) (Fmf Forum)
12 Jun-09:50:48 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
11 Jun-19:14:54 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
11 Jun-13:17:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Jun-02:26:56 Re: the mizunaka collection (Am Mizunaka)
09 Jun-14:17:09 Re: the mizunaka collection (Philippe Durand)
09 Jun-10:54:06 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
09 Jun-08:26:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 Jun-07:47:35 Inclusion of pezzotaite in quartz (Roger Warin)
07 Jun-23:58:23 Re: cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-23:47:05 Cimge nanjing (Greg Lilly)
07 Jun-16:01:20 Re: the mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
07 Jun-09:00:55 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-08:52:17 Re: the mizunaka collection (Michael Shaw)
07 Jun-03:44:17 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 16, 2024 14:39

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Samuel's Collection
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Samuel

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 20:13    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

The specimen featured below is very interesting and combines both good looks with technical interest. It reminds me of a mineralogical “Bulgarian fruit cake” being composed of Chalcopyrite, Sphalerite, Galena and Quartz. It hails from Deveti Septemvri Mine, Mogila Deposit, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts, Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. It is very three dimensional and I will post more photos when I get them. It is 12 x 9 x 8 cm. I have included a few macro inserts to show just how lovely the crystals are. Look at those Galena with the surface dimples and “hoppered” faces

MADAN FRUIT CAKE.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite, Sphalerite, Galena and Quartz. Deveti Septemvri Mine, Mogila Deposit, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts, Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 12 x 9 x 8 cm.
 Viewed:  24974 Time(s)

MADAN FRUIT CAKE.jpg

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2011 22:05    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

This is another one of my Ferberites from Yaogangxian. Again a cluster of Ferberites with some at right angles to the others. The most noteworthy feature is the clear Quartz crystal with a few inclusions, sticking out the side. It looks as if it had been “shot” right through the specimen. It hails from Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. It is 8 x 8 x 3 cm, and the quartz crystal is 3 x 1 x 1cm.

FERBERITE.jpg
 Description:
Ferberite with Quartz, Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 8 x 8 x 3 cm, and the quartz crystal is 3 x 1 x 1cm.
 Viewed:  24952 Time(s)

FERBERITE.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2011 02:09    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

This is a very beautiful Arsenopyrite Jack (Crowley) got for me, and you do not see these much anymore. It is a mass of the most beautiful “spears of Arsenopyrite.” Just look at the macro inserts of the crystals - their shape, texture and colour is just amazing. It hails from the Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru. It is about 7 x 7 x 7 cm.

For those that may be interested I print my own labels on Kodak Photographic paper that is specified for InkJet printers, and then laminate and cut to size. The stands are made of glass held firmly by epoxy. I just print the shapes out on a printer and place a sheet of glass over the shape and then cut with a glass cutter. In effect tracing with a glass cutter. I prefer the octagon, and when cut I sand smooth with carbide paper. As for strength, I have stress tested these stands with a 10kg weight on one for two weeks with no breakage. Of course being glass don’t expect it to last if you drop it on concrete.

ARSENO HEDGE HOG PERU.jpg
 Description:
Arsenopyrite, Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru. 7 x 7 x 7 cm.
 Viewed:  24904 Time(s)

ARSENO HEDGE HOG PERU.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2011 19:31    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

This is another lovely Bulgarian piece. It is chalcopyrite on quartz with a few Sphalerite crystals sprinkled around for interest. It hails from Deveti Septemvri Mine, Mogila Deposit, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts, Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. It is 12 x 7 x 4 cm and the largest chalcopyrite is about 4 cm. I just love these combo pieces. They tell such an interesting story about the paragenesis of the specimen. The specimen could almost be taken for a Peruvian piece.

BULGARIAN CHALCO MADAN.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite on quartz, Deveti Septemvri Mine, Mogila Deposit, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts, Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 12 x 7 x 4 cm
 Viewed:  24890 Time(s)

BULGARIAN CHALCO MADAN.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2011 00:44    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

This is an extraordinary fluorite – incredibly gemmy. It has the most amazing green colour and is absolutely transparent, so much so that you can see right through the specimen. You will notice in the photo that part of the brick wall can be seen through some of the crystals. The crystals are large cubes with beautiful beveled edges. It hails from the Xianghuapu Mine, Xianghualing Sn-Polymetallic Field, Linwu County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. It is 20 x 9 x 8 cm and the largest crystal is 5cm on edge.

BIG FLUORITE.jpg
 Description:
Xianghuapu Mine, Xianghualing Sn-Polymetallic Field, Linwu County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. It is 20 x 9 x 8 cm and the largest crystal is 5cm on edge.
 Viewed:  24859 Time(s)

BIG FLUORITE.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2011 01:15    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

This is a lovely pyrite from Peru and was supplied by Jack (Crowley). It consists of modified pyritohedrons to 5 cm, and on some of the faces of the larger crystals, there is secondary growth of smaller pyritohedrons. It hails from the Huanzala Mine, Huallanca district, Dos de Mayo Province, Huanuco Department, Peru. It is 10 x 6 x 6 cm.

PYRITE 2.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite, Huanzala Mine, Huallanca district, Dos de Mayo Province, Huanuco Department, Peru. 10 x 6 x 6 cm.
 Viewed:  24827 Time(s)

PYRITE 2.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2011 02:08    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

The specimen featured below is absolutely beautiful and the photo does not do it justice. It is a combo piece consisting of a base of Kidney Ore (Hematite) on which Specularite (Hematite) and quartz has formed. When properly lit it looks beautiful with the light reflecting of the hematite blades. It hails from the Ullcoats Mine, Egremont, West Cumberland Iron Field, North Western Region (Cumberland), Cumbria, England, United Kingdom. It is 10 x 9 x 3 cm.

U SPECULARITE.jpg
 Description:
Hematite with Quartz, Ullcoats Mine, Egremont, West Cumberland Iron Field, North Western Region (Cumberland), Cumbria, England, United Kingdom. 10 x 9 x 3 cm.
 Viewed:  24838 Time(s)

U SPECULARITE.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2011 06:25    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

The specimen shown below is Calcite on fluorite, also from the Xianghuapu Mine, Xianghualing Sn-Polymetallic Field, Linwu County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. It comprises well formed and very clear calcite crystals on light green fluorite. It is another example of the sheer quality of material and volume of quality material that comes out of China. It is 7 x 5 x 3 cm and the calcites are about 2 cm wide.

You will find nothing of this quality in the Land of “Oz.” As far as collector quality minerals are concerned, Australia is bankrupt, and I am amazed why some collectors persist in trying to obtain Australian minerals. Many speak of Broken Hill and I say what has come out of there in the last 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 years – they are merely recycling stuff from the late 19th and early 20th century. Just give it up!!!

CALCITE ON FLUORITE.jpg
 Description:
Calcite on fluorite, Xianghuapu Mine, Xianghualing Sn-Polymetallic Field, Linwu County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 7 x 5 x 3 cm
 Viewed:  24759 Time(s)

CALCITE ON FLUORITE.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2011 20:28    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

This is a lovely piece, and another from the Yaogangxian Mine. It is Galena and Calcite on Quartz. The Galena crystals appear highly modified with nice surface textures, but I do feel there may also be another sulphide present. The Calcites occur as rhombs and have a lovely yellow hue, but these are internal “phantoms” I think. It hails from the Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. It is 11 x 10 x 3 cm and the rhombs are about 2 cm.

QUARTZ GALENA CALCITE YAO.jpg
 Description:
Galenaand Calcite on Quartz. Yaogangxian Mine, Yizhang County, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 11 x 10 x 3 cm and the rhombs are about 2 cm.
 Viewed:  24681 Time(s)

QUARTZ GALENA CALCITE YAO.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 01:22    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is your common “garden–variety” Aquamarine (Beryl) with Muscovite. The largest crystal is 4 cm long, and there is a large cluster with a smaller one to the left. After getting my Sichuan Aquamarine I really wanted one of the hexagonal crystal groups with the flat tops - cute. Chinese Beryls are fantastic, but most tend to be tabular. It hails from Chumar Bakhoor, Hunza Valley, Gilgit District, Northern Areas, Pakistan. It is 13 x 10 x 7 cm.

BERYL ON MUSCOVITE 1.jpg
 Description:
Aquamarine (Beryl) with Muscovite Chumar Bakhoor, Hunza Valley, Gilgit District, Northern Areas, Pakistan. It is 13 x 10 x 7 cm.
 Viewed:  24665 Time(s)

BERYL ON MUSCOVITE 1.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 01:34    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

You have heard the term “Bolivian Uglies” well featured below is an “Australian Ugly” which I acquired some 15 years ago. It is Chalcocite and it is part of my reference collection of Australian Ore Minerals. It hails from the Woolawn Mine, Goulburn, NSW, Australia. It is 8 x 6 x 3 cm.

CHALCOCITE 2.JPG
 Description:
Chalcocite, Woolawn Mine, Goulburn, NSW, Australia. 8 x 6 x 3 cm.
 Viewed:  24658 Time(s)

CHALCOCITE 2.JPG

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 03:02    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

I do not normally collect Quartz crystals but these were different. It is a tight cluster of clear and very lusterous Quartz crystal on which dark green crystals of Epidote have grown. Unlike most Quartz specimens that come from this quarry, the Quartz is “crystal” clear. It hails from Hongquizhen Quarry, Meigu County, Liangshan Autonomous, Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China. It is 10 x 10 x 4 cm

QUARTZ EPIDOTE.jpg
 Description:
Epidote on Quartz. Hongquizhen Quarry, Meigu County, Liangshan Autonomous, Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China. 10 x 10 x 4 cm
 Viewed:  24620 Time(s)

QUARTZ EPIDOTE.jpg

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 06:36    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

It is late here in the land of “Oz” but before I retire for the evening I thought I would show you another of my Australian Ore Minerals. This is Native Silver from Elizabeth Hill Mine, Near Karratha, West Pilbara, Western Australia, Australia. It is 11 x 6 x 3 cm and is pretty hefty at 680grams or about 1.5lbs in the old scale. It has the most brilliant metallic luster with a “hackly” surface texture. It was examined at the Museum for elemental composition but not surprisingly it is pretty much just native silver. Some might call it a nugget, but in fact it was part of a solid seam of native silver. The mine produced two extraordinary size "nuggets" both weighing above 100kg, by comparison mine is a little one.

As for this and other photos I have posted, if you wish to use them for non commercial purposes please feel free to do so. I am a great believer in the view that knowledge belongs to everyone.

KARRATHA NATIVE SILVER.jpg
 Description:
Native Silver, Elizabeth Hill Mine, Near Karratha, West Pilbara, Western Australia, Australia. 11 x 6 x 3 cm
 Viewed:  24584 Time(s)

KARRATHA NATIVE SILVER.jpg

Joaquin Montoro

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 09:30    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Wow! this silver is simply gorgeous, exceptionnel....a number one piece! I like it very much.
Congratulations Sam.

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 20:41    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Hi Joaquin:

These silvers are still very easy to get in Oz. A local dealer visited the mine in 1998 (?) and self collected but paid some $60,000AUD for a large consignment of silver specimens. The largest one he recovered weighed some 11kg. There is not a great deal of interest in the "nugget" style as most people prefer wires so I do not think he has sold many. He got into terrible trouble a few years ago first with the FBI in the United States and with Customs and Federal Police in Australia, over fossils I think. There was a feature story about it in The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper, but he is still in business.

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 20:43    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is another of the so-called “Bolivian Uglies” but I “reckon” it is as “cute as a button.” It is a mass of Stannite crystals on which has grown blades of Jamesonite (proven). It hails from the San José Mine, Oruro City, Cercado Province, Oruro Department, Bolivia. It is 6.5 x 3 x 3 cm. I just love the sulfides and sulfosalts from Bolivia, they make wonderful mineral specimens.

BOLIVIAN STANNITE JAMESONITE.jpg
 Description:
Stannite with Jamesonite, San José Mine, Oruro City, Cercado Province, Oruro Department, Bolivia. 6.5 x 3 x 3 cm
 Viewed:  24519 Time(s)

BOLIVIAN STANNITE JAMESONITE.jpg

Darren

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2011 20:47    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Samuel-

Gotta say, even your "uglies" and ore collection pieces are just amazing - thank you so much for sharing!

Darren

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2011 00:05    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Hi Darren:

Thank you very much for your encouraging words. Most of the Ore specimens, with the exception of those I have from the Burra Burra Copper Mine, were given to me 15 or more years ago. I simply wrote a nice letter to the appropriate Mine Manager explaining my interest and a bit about my background and they gave me them. Some Managers were not very polite and simply said they had no time to waste on such requests, but some were gentlemen. Most companies will genuinely help collectors but as you can imagine they probably get a lot of requests for stuff, and so it pays to write a well written and sincere request. If you are lucky the company may have a senior geologist who is also a mineral collector, but not all geologist collect minerals. Most refineries will give samples of refined elements to those who show genuine interest, and as there are fewer element collectors than mineral collectors your odds of getting good element samples are much better.

Regards

Sam

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2011 00:53    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Hello All:

If anyone has sent me a PM I just realized I could access them. I am a bit “absent-minded” at times. So sorry if I seem to be ignoring it is not my intent. I will respond to all.

Samuel

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2011 01:47    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Now this would have to be of one the craziest minerals in the mineral kingdom, but also one of the most technically interesting – Cylindrite. It hails from Trinacria Mine, Callipampa, Poopo Province, Oruro Department, Bolivia. Unfortunately it is only 4 x 3 x 2 cm and I have looked for larger. The photo below is a macro shot I took to highlight a portion of the specimen, and show just where its name originates – cylinders, just incredible. Does not nature know how to cook with atoms?

CYLINDRITE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL.jpg
 Description:
Cylindrite. Trinacria Mine, Callipampa, Poopo Province, Oruro Department, Bolivia. 4 x 3 x 2
 Viewed:  24430 Time(s)

CYLINDRITE UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL.jpg

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 6 of 11
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  

Jump to: