We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 02:38

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carles Millan
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 07:58    Post subject: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Here -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=11844#11844 John S. White wrote:
Many, many black tourmalines are not schorl.

I think that when proper chemical analysis have not been done yet, it would be better to label the tourmalines as just tourmalines. The same for garnets. It might be a general rule not only for collectors but for dealers as well. This way we would avoid many arguments about whether it is schorl or elbaite, andradite or almandine, and so on. Not to mention that a specimen is often not a pure species but an intermediate in the continuum of the family it belongs to.

What do you think about?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 10:21    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

I think this is a proper way to label the specimen in the best possible way without giving the mineral a name that may be wrong. To call a tourmaline just "tourmaline" may be not a detailed info about the variety, but at all it is not wrong (while, according to John, many "schorl" labeled specimens are named wrong). And you mentioned another important point: Many minerals (for example from the garnet family) simply can't be denoted exactly because they are an intermediate between different members of their mineral family.

I must confess that i already do this "inexactness" to some minerals, e.g. the fluorapatites in my collection are not labeled by that accurate name but only as "apatite". I'm labeling more exact in mineral families like quartz, garnet or tourmaline, but i wouldn't mind to have a specimen which is simply described as "tourmaline". At least that would be better than having it labeled "schorl" while it is none.

Cheers!

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 10:55    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

In response to Carles' comment I have to say that few crystals of anything are "pure species" and this is especially true for tourmaline group species as well as the garnets. Traditionally they are given the name of the dominant cation or cation pair, even if the dominance of one pair is only very slight. It is impractical to label a garnet 45% pyrope, 30% almandine and 25% spessartine. The convenient name is pyrope. For the most part it is generally safe to label transparent and colored tourmalines from lithium pegmatites elbaite. One cannot go too far wrong, except for the relatively rare occurrence of liddicoatite. My rule, generally, is if the species has been identified and used widely in the literature, then I will assume it is safe to use that name on my labels. If you acquire a garnet from Ft. Wrangell, Alaska, you can be quite certain that it is almandine. A colorful tourmaline from anywhere in New England is almost certainly elbaite.

If such a specimen should end up in another collection, get analysed, and found to be liddicoatite, no one is going to upset with the prior owner for calling it elbaite. There was no attempt to deceive.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 27, 2010 18:01    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

It may be that the apparent abundance of black "schorl" and colored "elbaite" in pegmatites is due merely to: 1) Tradition; and 2) Lack of reliable analyses (which are very difficult and complex to do for tourmalines). In reality some "schorls" are dominantly dravite or elbaite, and some "elbaites" are olenite, rossmanite, fluor-elbaite... and of course tourmalines are notorious for often containing zones of two or three species within a single crystal.

The two most common methods of analysis available to amateurs (powder XRD and microprobe by EDS without standards) are quite useless for identifying tourmalines, so having an "analysis" in one's hand just gives a false sense of security. For all these reasons, I encourage collectors to just use "Tourmaline" on their labels; the viewer can see for themselves whether it's a black one or a pink one.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 02:59    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Maybe still better for the labels: "Tourmaline group"?

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 04:24    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Maybe still better for the labels: "Tourmaline group"?

Why 'tourmaline group'?

You can say 'this is an elbaite', and also 'this a mineral' or 'this is silicate', but you can never say 'this is a tourmaline group'. It would be impractical to label a specimen 'this is a species belonging to the tourmaline group', which would be the correct grammatical expression. Let's simply say 'this is a tourmaline'.

There is nothing wrong to say 'this is a tourmaline' or 'this is a garnet' when you're not completely sure what the species is. Even when you are a dealer. Offering for sale a schorl when it's not really a schorl is always worse than selling just a tourmaline. The same would be valid for garnets, mica, apatites, axinites, and so on.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 04:37    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Saying just "Tourmaline" many people would suppose that "Tourmaline" is a mineral species, as Elbaite, Schorl, etcetera, and then we will lose all efforts did to explain the difference between species and groups.

If we label as "Tourmaline group", "Member of the Tourmaline group" or something similar, we could avoid this trouble.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 04:51    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

I am troubled by Alfredo's comment "tourmalines are notorious for often containing zones of two or three species within a single crystal." This implies that tourmaline crystals with multiple zones having compositions different enough to make these zones different species are common. I would dispute that and I challenge Alfredo to support that statement with data. I acknowledge that such zoned tourmalines can exist, but I do not believe that they are common at all. Subtle variations in chemistry are responsible for color zoning in elbaites, but for the most part the crystals are elbaite all the way through.

And if we adopted Jordi's suggestion ("tourmaline group"), then we would have to do the same with garnets, apatites, apophyllites, etc. Bad idea.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 05:21    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Carles Millan wrote:
Why 'tourmaline group'? You can say 'this is an elbaite', and also 'this a mineral' or 'this is silicate', but you can never say 'this is a tourmaline group'. It would be impractical to label a specimen 'this is a species belonging to the tourmaline group', which would be the correct grammatical expression. Let's simply say 'this is a tourmaline'. There is nothing wrong to say 'this is a tourmaline' or 'this is a garnet' when you're not completely sure what the species is. Even when you are a dealer. Offering for sale a schorl when it's not really a schorl is always worse than selling just a tourmaline. The same would be valid for garnets, mica, apatites, axinites, and so on.

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Saying just "Tourmaline" many people would suppose that "Tourmaline" is a mineral species, as Elbaite, Schorl, etcetera, and then we will lose all efforts did to explain the difference between species and groups. If we label as "Tourmaline group", "Member of the Tourmaline group" or something similar, we could avoid this trouble.

Both versions are surely not the best, but if a tourmaline is not analysed exactly i would prefer Carles' way of labeling. The name "Tourmaline group" for a single mineral specimen suggests a plural and seems somehow improper. And Carles is right when he says that just "Tourmaline" or "Garnet" is not wrong. It is not scientifically specified, yes, but not wrong at all. Labeling it, as Jordi suggested, "Member of the tourmaline group" would be a good compromise between mineralogical and grammatical correctness, but a very clumsy expression :-/

Just my two cents,
Cheers!

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 07:45    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Saying just "Tourmaline" many people would suppose that "Tourmaline" is a mineral species, as Elbaite, Schorl, etcetera, and then we will lose all efforts did to explain the difference between species and groups.

Jordi, you have a reputation of being a serious dealer, especially concerning the locality's and specie's names. So the point of this topic is also for you, aside for every collector.

If you offer a tourmaline as being schorl you must be completely sure it is (or at least it is mostly) schorl. If after performing some kind of analyses it finally is found to be elbaite, some collectors might feel deceived. So it would be better to tell the truth as fas as it is known. You offer a tourmaline and the person who buys it (of course, provided that it is tourmaline and not pyrite), can never think he/she has been cheated.

Sure, some beginners, as you say above, may not know the difference between a series (or group) and a species, but they are a minority that is in the process of learning and that, sooner or later, will know.

Another way could be labeling the specimen as, for example, "tourmaline (schorl?)", but I think it may not be very appropriate for a dealer to use the question mark.

Hope I helped...

Tracy

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 08:15    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Carles Millan wrote:
If you offer a tourmaline as being schorl you must be completely sure it is (or at least it is mostly) schorl. If after performing some kind of analyses it finally was found to be elbaite, some collectors might feel deceived. So it would be better to tell the truth as fas as it is known. You offer a tourmaline and the person who buys it (of course, provided that it is tourmaline and not pyrite), can never think he/she has been cheated.

Sure, some beginners, as you say above, may not know the difference between a series (or group) and a species, but they are a minority that is in the process of learning and that, sooner or later, will know.

Another way could be labeling the specimen as, for example, "tourmaline (schorl?)", but I think it may not be very appropriate for a dealer to use the question mark.

It applies in both directions, though - a more advanced buyer seeing a specimen labeled simply as "tourmaline" would take a dealer less seriously for not knowing the variety. Question marks would have the same effect, as would something like "tourmaline (variety unconfirmed)" or "tourmaline (unanalyzed)." No easy answer here, in my opinion.

- Tracy

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 08:29    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Tracy wrote:
It applies in both directions, though - a more advanced buyer seeing a specimen labeled simply as "tourmaline" would take a dealer less seriously for not knowing the variety. Question marks would have the same effect, as would something like "tourmaline (variety unconfirmed)" or "tourmaline (unanalyzed)." No easy answer here, in my opinion.

A more advanced buyer should know that it is usually hard to determine what species a tourmaline is. And (John S. White pointed it above) many tourmalines are not a pure species and can be found at any position in the series. As he said, a garnet could be 45% pyrope, 30% almandine and 25% spessartine, and I guess the same can be applied to a tourmaline. What should then a dealer do? Perhaps the most honest behavior would be to label those specimens with the group name rather than guessing the species name, with the risk of getting wrong many times.

But yes, Tracy, no easy answer...

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 09:26    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

No, really not easy. I wouldn't have thought that this topic could lead to such a tricky discussion. First i only saw it from a collector's point of view, but i begin to consider that we should differentiate between different perspectives or rather different types of collections. Let's take the example of a tourmaline specimen which is not yet exactly analyzed:

- If it is in a public collection like a museum, a detailed classification should be done, being followed by an scientifical correct labeling, e.g. "Schorl (Tourmaline group)" or "Elbaite (Tourmaline group), var. Verdelite".

- If it is in a private collection, it is up to the owner, but i personally would prefer the suggestion of simply labeling it "Tourmaline". But an addition with question mark like Carles suggested would be also acceptable for a private collection, e.g. "Tourmaline (Schorl?)".

- If it is offered by a dealer and he has no chance to analyze it, the best could be to label it also just "Tourmaline", or maybe with an annotation in brackets like "Tourmaline (variety not yet classified)".

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 09:40    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Carles Millan wrote:
...Perhaps the most honest behavior would be to label those specimens with the group name rather than guessing the species name...

Right but if we label the specimen with the group name, why don't mention it?

Maybe "Tourmaline group" or "Member of the Tourmaline group" isn't the best way to describe it and probably an anglophone can suggest better words but I still believe that just "Tourmaline" will create troubles. Not everybody knows a lot about mineralogy, luckily the majority of members of this Forum have a good knowledge of minerals but I believe that this is not so frequent....

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 09:50    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Jordi, Saying that using just "Tourmaline" is bad because a beginner might be confused about whether it's a species or a group name, is like saying we should not use the word "monkey" when we go to the zoo, because our children might not know whether that refers to one species or a family. I think we worry too much about "confusing the beginners". Give them credit for intelligence. They will learn soon enough, just like you and I did!

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 09:56    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Right but if we label the specimen with the group name, why don't mention it?

It's up to you. You're free. If I were you I'd label a tourmaline just tourmaline and a garnet just garnet (when not sure). I, as a collector and from now on, will do so. But you must know well how to run your business. In this topic are a lot of ideas for you to think about and take the decision you see more appropriate.

GneissWare

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 10:21    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

I think it is also reasonable to label a specie with a question mark and have done so. If you think for example a tourmaline is likely an elbaite, based on locality, geological environment, etc., then it seems fair to label it Tourmaline [Elbaite(?)]. This is a common practice in the geological literature, and seems appropriate here. It is also appropriate when describing pseudos, such as Malachite pseudomorph after Gypsum(?). To do otherwise expresses a level of certainty which may be unfounded.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 10:37    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

alfredo wrote:
Jordi, Saying that using just "Tourmaline" is bad because a beginner might be confused about whether it's a species or a group name, is like saying we should not use the word "monkey" when we go to the zoo, because our children might not know whether that refers to one species or a family

The problem is that in the zoo all visitors say: monkey, dauphin or bear and not "Macacus rhesus", "Lagenorhynchus obliquidens" or "Ursus arctos".

I mean: animals have a common popular name: "monkey" and a taxonomic individual name: "Macacus rhesus" and people use one of them (the common name) but in mineralogy people use both, the taxonomic name: "Spessartine" and the common name (group name): "Garnet", so the discussion is about if we should use in mineralogy the group name, the taxonomic name or both, according different circumstances.

My position is that I prefer names that people can easily find in the IMA's list and if they can't, then write in the label something that explain that the name written is not a taxonomic name but another category name (group).

More clear we labeling, less difficulties we will have later to explain the reasons of our labels to other people.

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 12:49    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

I think that the problem of labels is a little bit "made up". Label is only piece of paper. Minerals change names, some of them are discredited other are split for two or more species. I think that if you make labels more important is locality, year when it was collected etc - this are fixed and sure information which can not be found later. Analyzes of exact species may be done at any time. A lot of mineral collectors try to make hobby very "scientific", and for me the "problem" of labels is symptom of that. In my opinion if you have tourmaline from Madagascar with beautiful colorful zonations and you put: "Tourmaline", "Liddicoatite", "Elbaite", "liddicoatite-elbaite". Liddicoatite and elbaite" all this is true!!! I do not see any problem in such labels. If you make real scientific job you can put "real name" on label. In other case, to be accurate, you should analyses majority of your specimens! Of course informations on label should as accurate as it is possible, but I think that we do not need to analyze every specimen...
About using terms as "tourmaline" - I do not agree with Alfredo - I think this is excellent therm to use! Why? It is general enough for you to be sure you are not making a mistake, and on the other hand it is very useful because everybody knows "what that is". Who said that only species' names may appear on the labels? Alfredo said that if we used more sophisticated names people would learn them, and would understand that in tourmaline group there is a lot of species... But why should we care so much about that? I do not think that this is really important knowledge for beginners (for whom Alfredo cares - sorry Alfredo :-). This is similar problem like in paleontology - if you know thousands of latin names of fossils it does not mean that you have any idea about paleontology. The same in mineralogy - even if you know very sophisticated minerals' names and chemical compositions that does not mean that you have "mineralogical knowledge". For me much more important is that amateur will understand how crystals grow, what evaporation is, why some crystals are skeletal, how agates come to being etc. Sophisticated names should be important for scientists and very advanced collectors.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 28, 2010 15:14    Post subject: Re: Proper labeling when analysis have not been done yet  

You misunderstood me, Tomasz. I absolutely think "Tourmaline" is the best name to use, in most cases.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: