We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:42

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A DIY Ball Table

Index -> Micros & Macros - Images of Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Paul S

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 13:07    Post subject: A DIY Ball Table  

I have come up with a cheap solution to a common problem. While looking at minerals through a microscope, it happens a lot that a specimen needs to be viewed under a different angle to get a better focus or to get a better view of a certain part of the specimen. One could use sand or forms of fixation kit or rice to position the specimen at a different angle, while preventing it from falling over. I tried those methods, but I was not satisfied with them. They are not accurate enough and one needs to touch the specimen a lot to get the tilt right.

So I came up with the following tool: a ball table. They can be bought, mostly designed for specific microscopes, but they are very expensive. So I build one myself from various parts I had lying around. As you can see in the photos, I used a piece of wood with a hole in it, I glued another one underneath it, so the plastic ball could sit in the hole. There was however not enough friction between the wood and the plastic, so I added a rubber band to make sure the plastic ball would not move after being tilted. In the plastic ball, I added a bit of sand as extra counterweight and I glued a round piece of wood in the plastic ball for the specimen to sit on. I then added some grey 'blue tack' (it’s a kneadable form of rubber eraser) so specimens won't slide along the surface.

I also made a clear version for through lighting, it consists of the same plastic ball, but this time I glued a petri dish into it. It sits a bit higher into the ball, but only smaller specimens will require through lighting, so it’s not really a problem.

Of course the whole setup works only for smaller specimens, but everything that will fit underneath my microscope will fit on the ball table.

I hope this bit of kit will inspire you all, for I have found it very useful and easy to operate.

IMG_5244 copy.jpg
 Description:
Top left and clockwise: 1) normal ball table, 2) translucent ball table, 3) the 'ball' and the 'table', 4) close-up of the rubber band.
 Viewed:  20483 Time(s)

IMG_5244 copy.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2010 14:21    Post subject: Re: A DIY Ball Table  

Here's my version. A hemispherical steel bowl (actually was the bowl from a gravy ladle), a plastic jar cap with the top cut out, and a few ceramic magnets glued to plexiglass. The steel bowl is partly filled with plaster of Paris, painted black. The steel bowl does not quite touch the magnets, but the attraction creates enough friction to keep the bowl oriented as desired.

It works great and is very useful and efficient for orienting specimens for viewing or photography under the microscope.

IMG_2013.jpg
 Description:
Another DIY ball table
 Viewed:  20455 Time(s)

IMG_2013.jpg

Paul S

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 02:38    Post subject: Re: A DIY Ball Table  

That is a very nice system you came up with Pete, I guess that even specimens which are top-heavy can be tilted under a large angle.

I did wonder, are metallic and magnetic minerals a problem due to the large magnets that hold the bowl?

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2010 07:51    Post subject: Re: A DIY Ball Table  

Paul S wrote:
That is a very nice system you came up with Pete, I guess that even specimens which are top-heavy can be tilted under a large angle.

I did wonder, are metallic and magnetic minerals a problem due to the large magnets that hold the bowl?

Thanks! I'm very pleased with it. I have not had any problems with metallic or magnetic minerals. The only problem I have is that if the specimen is too heavy and the ball is tilted well away from horizontal, the ball may slip (or the sticky tack may stretch) due to the weight.

Scott LaBorde

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2014 08:40    Post subject: Re: A DIY Ball Table  

I have taken Pete Richards design and slightly modified it. I created a video to show how it works and how simple it is to make.

** In the video I incorrectly label the steel ball a "ball bearing" when it's just a steel ball (apparently a common misnomer - oops).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsQhWhJr7VE

https://www.rockhoundlounge.com/cgi-bin/yabb252/YaBB.pl?num=1408625653
(links normalized by FMF)

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2014 11:38    Post subject: Re: A DIY Ball Table  

Scott LaBorde wrote:
I have taken Pete Richards design and slightly modified it. I created a video to show how it works and how simple it is to make.

** In the video I incorrectly label the steel ball a "ball bearing" when it's just a steel ball (apparently a common misnomer - oops).

Excellent Scott. I have only one concern, the specimen may come loose and fall on the metal.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Scott LaBorde

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2014 14:05    Post subject: Re: A DIY Ball Table  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
Scott LaBorde wrote:

Excellent Scott. I have only one concern, the specimen may come loose and fall on the metal.

Yes Pierre, that something I have thought about. Depending on size and value of the specimen, extra precaution such as padding around the base might be desirable. It is the concept and simplicity of using a steel ball and ring magnets that I wanted to convey. The metal black base I have in the video is certainly not a necessity and could be replace by a foam or cushion type base.

I've used this setup for over a couple years now and have yet to have a specimen come loose. When I'm working with a delicate light specimen I would never worry about it coming loose. With a heavy or awkward and delicate specimen I am naturally more cautious by using more mineral tack and careful placement of the center of gravity. But no matter how careful one can be accidents can still happen so with other peoples specimens or highly valuable specimens I always place padding around the base just in case.

Index -> Micros & Macros - Images of Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: