We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 26, 2024 13:35

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Shipping minerals

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 15:31    Post subject: Shipping minerals  

ellencmoe wrote:

Are there any special details for mailing rocks and minerals to other countries?

Tracy wrote:

Information regarding the best way to send minerals is perhaps better in a separate thread,in a different section of the Forum

I agree with Tracy. I would be a good idea to develop a thread about such an interesting topic. I have chosen not to accomodate it in the Mineral Exchange Area, but of course It is connected with trading as well.

My personal experience is that anglo-saxon countries have a better postal service, cheaper and well organized (maybe due to the influence of the former British Empire :-)
It is frustrating when you want to trade with someone in USA for example and you have to paid a 50% or 100% more. Spanish and Mediterranean countries Postal Service is expensive.

And what can I say about customs. I can ship to Germany or France, Poland without any difficulty (inside European Union), but for the rest of the world the parcel must be small and sometimes they think you are a seller.

Regards.

Montanpark

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 15:54    Post subject: Re: Shipping minerals  

Hi Antonio,
interesting and certainly a continuing and developing topic .. here in germany the postal fees have changed again (they do all 3 months at least as my feeling is ;-) ). In Europe, from germany no customs (except Switzerland, which seems to be an island of high postal fees in central Europe cause of being NOT in the EC, shipping to Switzerland is like to ship to Turkey or Russia etc.)) and it is possible to send registered mail for a decent fee:
to 500 g registered is 5.45 Euro, up to 1 kg 8.05 Euro and up to 2 kg is 16.05 Euro, larger parcels with DHL 17 Euro. Overseas is highly dependant on the weight. More than 2 kg is a hell expensive. Customs are different, if you declare specimens as rock samples for study purpose without commercial value -> usually no problem. Receiving minerals from lets say the US with declared value > 17.50 $ or the like urges me to drive to the customs office (30 km), pay customs fee AND VAT. So if you want to exchange minerals etc .. just write the right thing on customs declaration ;-) ...
In germany, postage is quite highly priced compared to the US for instance. But up to now, DHL and Deutsche Post did not mess up too much ...
BTW your parcel is underway ;-)

In general, i only use registered mail .. the recipient has to sign on receipt. It does not include insurance (except a very basic one for 35 Euro value). Insured parcels to overseas are really expensive (AFAIR 54 Euro). Registered has always done well and if someone wants insured for higher priced items he/she has to deal with the high prices unfortunately.

Cheers
Roger
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jason

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2010 23:39    Post subject: Re: Shipping minerals  

A few things I might add...Yes, I do think the shipping in the USA is excellent. Shipped thousands of items and never had any issues in the US(thanks British empire:). One country that seems to pop up with my peers and cohorts who deal gems and minerals is Italy. I know a number of dealers that won't ship to Italy. i used to be one of them but take my chances on cheaper items and just not deal or ship to anyone if the stone or spec. is above a certain price. Not sure if it's theft or customs of what have you but many a good specimen and stone has been "lost" when shipped to Italy. It's not one or two things but numerous from many different dealers and friends and not just minerals either. When cruising one of the chat forums on ebay..the "seller central" a number of the sellers had issues with shipping there that sold many different types of items. Any ideas or thoughts?

Another quick point i would like to add...I sell quite a few items on ebay. Many go overseas. Only had one problem one time about 3 months ago. Sent some gemstones to a regular in France. 28 days later he contacts me and says he hasn't gotten them yet. So i call ebay and explain it to them....guess what? If the stones don't show I take the hit. Okay not to big a deal I understand that. Well, when you ship overseas ebay and paypal require you to ship Priority Mail International(USPS). The envelope is like $13.90 and a box is like $26.90 give or take. They require it so they have a record of it I guess but here is the catch..there is no tracking once it leaves the US. No proof shows it was delivered to whichever country you ship it to or to the person in that country. The cheapest and only way to ship per ebay and paypal is Global Express which starts at $45..starts for an envelope. As you know many an item on ebay doesn't sell for that much or you list small cheap items so to really be cocvered for protection as a seller on ebay when shipping is to use the Global Express. I don't know to many buyers who would pay me $9 for a rutile crystal and then $45 on top. There is no protection when shipping international unless using USPS Global Express. I have shipped tons of items using the recommended Priority International as do almost all ebay sellers but what they don't know is any buyer can claim there item wasn't recieved and you get stuck with it even though you did everything by the ebay/paypal book. Luckily my buyer was a regular and was cool and the stones did show up a few days later but i learned a couple things from that ordeal. Any FMF or person who reads this and is in another couyntry than the US, they can buy something from ebay and when it gets there claim it never came, keep the item, and get your money back...easy as that. In side the US, all items shipped have Delivery Confirmation so all is good but once outside the US it's anyones guess. You either take a chance, which is all good since most folks are honest, or you have them pay out the wazoo for tracking.

Soory went on for awhile on that but really irked me to find that out a few months ago after all this time selling on ebay or through paypal.

keldjarn

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 00:59    Post subject: Re: Shipping minerals  

amethystguy wrote:

Another quick point i would like to add...I sell quite a few items on ebay. Many go overseas. Only had one problem one time about 3 months ago.
I don't know to many buyers who would pay me $9 for a rutile crystal and then $45 on top. There is no protection when shipping international unless using USPS Global Express.
I have shipped tons of items using the recommended Priority International as do almost all ebay sellers but what they don't know is any buyer can claim there item wasn't recieved and you get stuck with it even though you did everything by the ebay/paypal book. You either take a chance, which is all good since most folks are honest, or you have them pay out the wazoo for tracking.

Soory went on for awhile on that but really irked me to find that out a few months ago after all this time selling on ebay or through paypal.

Thanks for the interesting information. Selling less costly minerals on eBay (or in general) with international shipping seems to be very safe from your experience. But still, as you say, the seller may have to take the loss if one item should go missing. The best way - both for sellers and customers - would probably be to calculate this risk of doing business and have a small "handling" charge added to the shipping costs. If you sell 100 x 10 - 100$ items with an average price of $ 50 and one goes missing, a handling charge of 50 cents on all sales would statistically give you the insurance you need. It would be much cheaper for the customers than demanding every shipment to be made with full tracking or insurance. Such measures may also impose custom duties in the receiving end..

parfaitelumiere

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 03:26    Post subject: Re: Shipping minerals  

I live in France,and use to buy minerals from USA,but sometimes from China,Pakistan or Asia.
Burma has good service,fees are reasonnable,and there is a tracking number,and we have to sign(seems the seller sends as a letter)
USA is really good,First Class mail is just perfect.
From Australia,what I hae seen is time it take to come to France,really long,and price is quite 2 times higher than USA.
Japanese posts have good service and reasonnable price.
The worse for me is here in France,often broken,expensive,and packet must have special size,only problems...

The really ,really worst is just EMS shipping.
First:it's expensive
Second:when it comes to France,packet is always stopped for custom fees,even the items doesn't need custom(collectible or artwork)
Why?
Because in France,private societies have abilities to collect custom fees,and they earn money,so they have interest to make us pay custom fees
We have no choice,here EMS goes to Chronopost,the worst french company,stolen or broken items,expensive additionnal fees,and if you are not home,lots of problems to obtain your packet,you have to call a hotline,and wait...
Now I simply do not accept EMS shipping

Just one thing I would add:

Chronopost told me it's the seller to write correctly the kind of item to permit not to pay custom fees...
What he has to write?someone knows?

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2010 04:02    Post subject: Re: Shipping minerals  

parfaitelumiere wrote:

Chronopost told me it's the seller to write correctly the kind of item to permit not to pay custom fees...
What he has to write?someone knows?

The seller usually marks "gift", but customs can open the parcel even in that situation. Especially with big parcels o with high declared value. Realize that it is not a gift, it is a sale/purchase. The abuse of this box causes problems to simple collectors when we want to trade or send minerals. The lighter the better is my golden rule.

All your comments are useful -Montapark, Amethystguy-. Of course dealers' experience is deeper, but I would like to read what collectors can say as well.

Regards.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: