We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
05 Jun-08:45:41 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-20:17:45 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 05, 2024 18:53

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Fluorite from Moscona Mine

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Joan R.

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2007 11:26    Post subject: Fluorite from Moscona Mine  

Fluorite from Moscona Mine, Arlós-Villabona District (Asturias, Spain)

During many years a lot of honey yellow Fluorites and related Calcite, Baryte and Dolomite, came to the market labeled as "Villabona". Most of this material came from Moscona Mine, located on the Arlós-Villabona district. Although the mine was extremely productive on the past, actually is not supplying specimens. This is a short note to introduce this very popular mining area.

The Arlós-Villabona district is located about 20 km west of La Collada, halfway between the coast and the capital city of Oviedo in Asturias. The Moscona mine is located 1 km (0,62 miles) from the village of Solís that is in Llanera council. This mine is one of the three fluorspar deposits operated by MINERSA Co. (Minerales y Productos Derivados S.A.).
Moscona mine is situated at a depth of 300 to 400 m below the ground and exploted in three different levels. Fluorspar mineralization locates in the roof of Muschelkalk with a total thickness between 3 and 4 meters.
Fluorite from Moscona Mine occurs as groups of unmodified cubic crystals with smooth, brilliant, well-formed faces, high transparency and colors from pale yellow, yellow to tanned honey. Some crystals are zoned parallel to the cub faces, a feature particulary noticeable under LWUV: the surface zones appears pale yellow and cores violet.

Upper these Fluorite occurs diferent secondary minerals like Calcite in a variety of habits: low-flat rhomboedron, sometimes modified by dytrigonal prism, scalenoedral phantoms inside rhomboedral/prismatic which could reach 10 cm (usual is 1 to 6 cm).
It has been found excellent white (common) to pink (rare) color Dolomite crystals in so called saddle-shaped, commonly lining vugs and fissures, forming the substrate for the later growth of Baryte and Calcite crystals.
Baryte occurs as laminar to tabular crystals having well-formed faces. The color of Arlós-Villabona Baryte ranges from translucent milky white (most common) to gray-blue and pale sky blue, also yellowish to golden yellow. Most uncommon are the pearly pink Baryte crystals coating cubic yellow Fluorite.
Some Fluorite specimens are peppered or totally covered by Pyrite microcrystals, sometime like an iridiscent patina.

You could find more information:
- CURTO, C. & FABRE, J. (1992) Fluorite and associated minerals from Asturias, Spain. Mineralogical Record, 23, 69-76.
- https://www.minersa.es (2007, 20th Dec.)

We will be very happy to answer any question related with this topic so we are familiar with the mine and mining area.

ENJOY THEM!!!!!

All photos from Fabre Minerals:
https://www.fabreminerals.com/specimens/RSSFL-spanish-fluorite-notable-specimens.php#VC66G8
https://www.fabreminerals.com/specimens/RSES-spain-notable-specimens.php#VL86H9

VX7G8f.jpg
 Description:
A group of cubic crystals of yellow honey color, very bright and transparent, skirted by bluish tabular crystals of Baryte and covered by little scalenohedra of Calcite.
Moscona Mine
 Viewed:  15249 Time(s)

VX7G8f.jpg

VQ96G8f.jpg
 Description:
The base is a crystal of Calcite, a doubly terminated and twinned scalenohedron. A second generation of Calcite forming parallel groups of very bright crystals and with more complex forms has grown on it. The sample is crowned by a group of cubic crystals
 Viewed:  15211 Time(s)

VQ96G8f.jpg

VC66G8f.jpg
 Description:
On a base of cubic Fluorite of honey yellow color, very bright and partially covered by little crystals of Baryte, grows the Calcite crystals, doubly terminated and with dominant very acute scalenohedron faces.
Moscona Mine
 Viewed:  15196 Time(s)

VC66G8f.jpg

N11JG4.jpg
 Description:
The cubic crystals present geometrical zones of color, some of which have inner oriented inclusions of sulfides, probably Pyrite. A border of white crystals of Calcite partially skirts the specimen.
Moscona Mine
 Viewed:  15226 Time(s)

N11JG4.jpg

N9HG4.jpg
 Description:
Group of cubic crystals very bright, with inner zones of color. With small laminar crystals of blue Baryte on the back.
Moscona Mine
 Viewed:  15192 Time(s)

N9HG4.jpg

VE56G8.jpg
 Description:
Group of tabular crystals of bluish Baryte on a base of cubic crystals of Fluorite deeply colored in honey yellow.
Moscona Mine
 Viewed:  15246 Time(s)

VE56G8.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carles Curto

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2007 06:44    Post subject: Re: Fluorite from Moscona Mine  

Some more essential (modern) bibliography about Solís Fluorite (and other minerals)

Grupo Mineralogista de Madrid (editor). 1994r. Mina Moscona. La barita azul. Bocamina. 0: 10.
Augsten, R. 2003. Die Kupferlagerstätten in Asturien, Spanien. Lapis Mineralien Magazin. 28( 9): 31- 37.

García García, G., Cuesta, J.M. 1998. Yacimientos de Fluorita de Asturias. Notas historicas sobre el espato flúor en Asturias. Bocamina. 3: 64-80.

García García, G., Calvo. M. 1998. Yacimientos de Fluorita de Asturias. Mineralogía de los yacimientos de fluorita asturiana. Bocamina. 3: 34-59.

García García, G. 1993a. Mina Moscona, Solís (Asturias). Azogue. 4(13): 8-13.

Curto, C., Fabre, J. 1992. Fluorite and associated minerals from Asturias, Spain. The Mineralogical Record. 23( 1): 69-76.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: