We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
09 May-10:06:43 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 May-07:37:08 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
08 May-23:30:56 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
08 May-03:01:44 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
07 May-23:51:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
07 May-19:35:20 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
06 May-08:14:44 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
06 May-05:27:03 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
05 May-11:04:33 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
05 May-08:30:53 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
04 May-04:26:13 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
04 May-02:18:12 The first museums and early mineral collections (by david carter) (Tobi)
03 May-17:34:53 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
03 May-16:25:05 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
03 May-01:52:23 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
02 May-21:25:11 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
02 May-10:11:35 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
01 May-14:51:42 Re: the mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
01 May-08:25:32 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
01 May-07:04:01 Re: collection of enrique llorens (Carles Millan)
01 May-06:56:28 Re: collection of enrique llorens (Enrique Llorens)
01 May-05:56:36 Re: collection of enrique llorens (Carles Millan)
01 May-05:49:19 Re: the mizunaka collection (Carles Millan)
01 May-05:13:57 Re: collection of enrique llorens (Enrique Llorens)
30 Apr-22:45:49 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 09, 2024 11:08

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Samuel's Collection
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lumaes

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2011 01:19    Post subject: Piaotang Sulphides -Samuel's Collection  

This is a piece one of my Chinese asked if I could identify. He had a much larger specimen, and a few about the same size as the one shown below. I told him I only need a little for analysis, but he sent me a whole specimen instead. We were hoping that it was Wurtzite but no such luck. The analysis indicated it was sphalerite, but it is a pretty piece with lots of sparkle. I asked him if he wanted me to return it but he said no. It is now part of my reference collection. It hails from the Piaotang Mine, Dayu County, Ganzhou Prefecture, Jiangxi Province, China. 6 x 6 x 4cm.

SPH 1.jpg
 Description:
Sphalerite. Piaotang Mine, Dayu County, Ganzhou Prefecture, Jiangxi Province, China. 6 x 6 x 4cm.
 Viewed:  26939 Time(s)

SPH 1.jpg

SPH 2.jpg
 Description:
Sphalerite. Piaotang Mine, Dayu County, Ganzhou Prefecture, Jiangxi Province, China. 6 x 6 x 4cm.
 Viewed:  26960 Time(s)

SPH 2.jpg

SPH 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26977 Time(s)

SPH 3.jpg

SPH 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26967 Time(s)

SPH 4.jpg

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2011 05:28    Post subject: Minfact Web site - Samuel's Collection  

For some time now I have been seriously considering setting up a web page about minerals and everything related to minerals. There is so much to discuss that if I were to talk non-stop for an hour I would still only cover a minor portion of what I would like to do. Who would pay for such a site, well me, and only me.

Mindat and the Vug do an excellent job, but I feel there is the need for a Mineral based WEB page devoid of any commercial links; a completely unbiased, unfettered and non-commercial view on the collecting of minerals. This would certainly provide me with an opportunity to attend shows, speak with dealers and especially wholesalers and certainly with collectors. My main focus would be to help the “little guy.” I have a fine collection of minerals and I would like to help others achieve what I have achieved. Mineral collecting is a great hobby but I feel it is slowly moving away from the average collector and I think the average collector would know what I mean.

What else could be done, well a lot more, so much in fact that I am still putting ideas down on paper, but I do not want to be obligated to anyone. This way I can serve the interests of all collectors at all levels of commitment.

Your input is welcome!

Joaquin Montoro

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2011 09:30    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

It seems a good idea Sam...please continue working in it and let us know.
Regards

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2011 19:26    Post subject: Re: Samuel's Collection  

Featured below are a couple of additional photographs of one of my Bulgarian Pyrites. It consists of large well-formed crystals on green quartz crystals. There are a few other minor unidentified minerals present. The crystals have the most amazing shapes and surface textures, and the largest is about 4.5cm wide. This specimen is from the personal collection of the late Gary Grenier. Many of you from the east coast USA remember Gary from his website "The Mineral Show". He retained some of the finest Bulgarian pieces available back 10-15 years ago when he and his partner handled many fine specimens from the then active mines. It hails from Gyudyurska Mine, Zlatograd, Sth Rhodope Mts, Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 10 x 8 x 6 cm.

PY 1.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite on Quartz. Gyudyurska Mine, Zlatograd, Sth Rhodope Mts, Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 10 x 8 x 6 cm.
 Viewed:  26842 Time(s)

PY 1.jpg

PY 2.jpg
 Description:
Pyrite on Quartz. Gyudyurska Mine, Zlatograd, Sth Rhodope Mts, Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 10 x 8 x 6 cm.
 Viewed:  26845 Time(s)

PY 2.jpg

PY 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26868 Time(s)

PY 3.jpg

PY 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26876 Time(s)

PY 4.jpg

PY 5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26925 Time(s)

PY 5.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2011 22:45    Post subject: Calcite with Realgar - Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is a Calcite specimen I posted a few weeks ago but I noticed recently it contained a small Realgar crystal. The calcite is very gemmy with a hint of yellow. The close up shows the Realgar, and some adhering matrix. It hails from the Shimen Mine, Shimen County, Changde Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 13 x 7 x 4 cm.

CALCITE REALGAR.jpg
 Description:
Calcite. Shimen Mine, Shimen County, Changde Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 13 x 7 x 4 cm.
 Viewed:  26836 Time(s)

CALCITE REALGAR.jpg

CALCITE REALGAR 2.jpg
 Description:
Calcite. Shimen Mine, Shimen County, Changde Prefecture, Hunan Province, China. 13 x 7 x 4 cm.

CALCITE REALGAR 2.jpg

CALCITE REALGAR 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26871 Time(s)

CALCITE REALGAR 3.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 03:02    Post subject: Large Bulgarian Galena - Samuel's Collection  

Featured below are a couple of additional photographs of one of my Bulgarian Galenas. Now that I have got a new camera I think I might update a few of my other posts. The specimen below consists of large well-formed crystals on matrix. There are a few other minor unidentified minerals present, and some Cleiophane crystals. In one photo you can see a small galena cube embedded in Cleiophane. The crystals have the most amazing shapes, modifications and surface textures, and the largest is about 4 cm wide. This specimen is from the personal collection of the late Gary Grenier. Many of you from the east coast USA remember Gary from his website "The Mineral Show." He retained some of the finest Bulgarian pieces available back 10-15 years ago when he and his partner handled many fine specimens from the then active mines. It hails from the Krushev dol Mine, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts., Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 12 cm x 9 cm x 9 cm.

Every morning I wake up to such beauty I consider myself a lucky man. I am referring to the minerals and not a wife, who left years ago - thank god! :) I am happy to have a "nag" free life.

BULG GAL 1.jpg
 Description:
Galena. Krushev dol Mine, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts., Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 12 cm x 9 cm x 9 cm.
 Viewed:  26834 Time(s)

BULG GAL 1.jpg

BULG GAL 2.jpg
 Description:
Galena. Krushev dol Mine, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts., Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 12 cm x 9 cm x 9 cm.
 Viewed:  26828 Time(s)

BULG GAL 2.jpg

BULG GAL 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26826 Time(s)

BULG GAL 3.jpg

BULG GAL 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26829 Time(s)

BULG GAL 4.jpg

BULG GAL 5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26817 Time(s)

BULG GAL 5.jpg

BULG GAL 6.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26913 Time(s)

BULG GAL 6.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 03:30    Post subject: More large Bulgarians - Samuel's Collection  

Featured below are a couple of additional photographs of another of my Bulgarian Galenas. The specimen consists of large well-formed crystals on matrix. There are a few other minor unidentified minerals present. I surmise the matrix is a mix of massive galena and calcite. The crystals are very lusterous with mirror like faces and have the most amazing shapes, modifications and surface textures. The largest galena crystal is just over 4 cm wide. This specimen is from the personal collection of the late Gary Grenier. Many of you from the east coast USA remember Gary from his website "The Mineral Show." He retained some of the finest Bulgarian pieces available back 10-15 years ago when he and his partner handled many fine specimens from the then active mines. It hails from the Krushev dol Mine, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts., Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 10 x 9 x 9 cm.

BULG KD GAL 1.jpg
 Description:
Galena.Krushev dol Mine, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts., Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 10 x 9 x 9 cm.

BULG KD GAL 1.jpg

BULG KD GAL 2.jpg
 Description:
Galena.Krushev dol Mine, Madan Ore Field, Sth Rhodope Mts., Smolyan Oblast, Bulgaria. 10 x 9 x 9 cm.
 Viewed:  26832 Time(s)

BULG KD GAL 2.jpg

BULG KD GAL 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26800 Time(s)

BULG KD GAL 3.jpg

BULG KD GAL 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26802 Time(s)

BULG KD GAL 4.jpg

BULG KD GAL 5.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26825 Time(s)

BULG KD GAL 5.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 18:07    Post subject: Meteorites - Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is a book I can recommend to anyone interested in Meteorites. It is the “Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites” by Norton and Chitwood. It is a great book in my opinion and will answer many questions about meteorites including how to identify them. I have a few meteorites myself from the America’s and I will be posting pictures when the opportunity arises.

METEORITE BOOK.jpg
 Description:
Book 1
 Viewed:  26760 Time(s)

METEORITE BOOK.jpg

METEORITE BOOK 2.jpg
 Description:
Book 2
 Viewed:  26782 Time(s)

METEORITE BOOK 2.jpg

METEORITE BOOK 3.jpg
 Description:
Book 3
 Viewed:  26783 Time(s)

METEORITE BOOK 3.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 21:47    Post subject: Exposing the business oof minerals -: Samuel's Collection  

Hi Joaquin:

Thank you for your kind words of support. The real beneficiaries of this effort would be the average mineral collector. I have looked through all the photos of the last three Tucson shows and although very interesting and amusing from a social perspective, the contributions do little in the way of helping your beginner or even avid mineral collector acquire minerals. It is becoming more like a pantomime with a few key performing artists than a serious discussion of minerals or how to acquire them, or make them available for the average collector. In fact the gap between the “haves and the have not” in the mineral collecting hobby is widening every year.

I have many connections, though dated but still useful in the mining business throughout the America’s, Mexico, Europe, China and Australia and I would like to make use of their expertise and connections in acquiring good minerals for the average collector. Perhaps in this regard I could function as a “Mineralogical Broker” but I still consider myself more of an average collector. If it were not for the help and support I have received from the mineral friends I have made I would be relegated to collecting pebbles or C-grade material, and what fun is there in that. I would be most interested in speaking directly with the Managers, Owners and Operators of the mines which currently produce the best display quality material. From my experience in the Mining Industry I know most mine operators are very open to supplying specimens to genuine collectors, but only to genuine collectors.

I would also like to involve the media – television, newspaper and WEB based as I think this would expose the plight of the average mineral collector.

Again thank you for your kind words of support.

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2011 02:07    Post subject: Meteorites - Samuel's Collection  

Another recommended book on Meteorites is “Meteorites and their Parent Planets” by harry Y. Mc Sweeney Jr. It is a great read and provides much information and the sort of information a meteorite collector would enjoy. Though meteorites fall all over the world there is a view that some come from the same parent body, hence the chemical composition some meteorites share in common.

BOOK 1.jpg
 Description:
Book 1
 Viewed:  26710 Time(s)

BOOK 1.jpg

BOOK 2.jpg
 Description:
Book 2
 Viewed:  26689 Time(s)

BOOK 2.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2011 03:38    Post subject: Wurtzite Ball - Samuel's Collection  

Featured below is a bit of “eye-candy” with a twist. The specimen consists of a matrix of golden pyrite covered in galena and on top of the galena is a ball of Wurtzite. I have included a few close-up shots of the Wurtzite ball. It is another piece that can be seen from 20 feet away, and it made a lovely addition to my Huanzala mine suite. It hails from the Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru. 9 x 7 x 6 cm.

WURTZITE 1.jpg
 Description:
Wurtzite with Galena on Pyrite. Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru. 9 x 7 x 6 cm.
 Viewed:  26692 Time(s)

WURTZITE 1.jpg

WURTZITE BALL 0.jpg
 Description:
Wurtzite with Galena on Pyrite. Huanzala Mine, Huallanca District, Dos de Mayo Province, Huánuco Department, Peru. 9 x 7 x 6 cm.
 Viewed:  26666 Time(s)

WURTZITE BALL 0.jpg

WURTZITE BALL 1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26677 Time(s)

WURTZITE BALL 1.jpg

WURTZITE BALL 2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26663 Time(s)

WURTZITE BALL 2.jpg

WURTZITE BALL 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26666 Time(s)

WURTZITE BALL 3.jpg

WURTZITE BALL 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26723 Time(s)

WURTZITE BALL 4.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2011 18:12    Post subject: Wurtzite - Samuel's Collection  

More Wurtzite

Wurtzite Galena Pyrite 1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  26720 Time(s)

Wurtzite Galena Pyrite 1.jpg

Lumaes

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2011 00:31    Post subject: More Wurtzite - Samuel's Collection  

Ditto

WURTZITE SIDE.jpg
 Description:
wurtzite
 Viewed:  26668 Time(s)

WURTZITE SIDE.jpg

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 11 of 11
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  

Jump to: