We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 25, 2024 19:49

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Show 2011
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

GneissWare

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 00:10    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Monday in Tucson...The weather here is great. I finally made it to the Westward Look. Lots of flashy minerals, lots of flashy prices, but as always a few sleepers. I went back to the InnSuites (its called Tucson Center something or other, but people know where the InnSuites is located. Here are a few things I found interesting, and some great dealers.

Hard working dealer Seibel1.jpg
 Description:
John Seibel is one of the nicest guys around...an old time dealer and superb field collector. He sells anything from 54s (smaller samples) to high end display pieces at reasonable prices. I always buy several things from him. He is holding an ant spray boxes containing a very large Glove wulfenite.
 Viewed:  45919 Time(s)

Hard working dealer Seibel1.jpg

Seibel1.jpg
 Description:
Some of John's display pieces.
 Viewed:  45907 Time(s)

Seibel1.jpg

Seibel2.jpg
 Description:
Where else can you find $10 rocks at half price?? John Seibel's room!
 Viewed:  45910 Time(s)

Seibel2.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 00:42    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Dehne McLaughlin is an Australian dealer who has been doing Tucson for over 20 years. He used to set up next to me at the old La Quinta. He is the guy mining the fabulous Azurite suns on siltstone from the Northern Territory in Australia. He has also brought out pyromorphites, zircons (including a huge one -- 30 pounds or so), and of course crocoite.

Dehne4.jpg
 Description:
Dehne demonstrates the fine art of using mineral wrap (toilet paper) to wrap a specimen.
 Viewed:  45912 Time(s)

Dehne4.jpg

Dehne1.jpg
 Description:
Nice Azurite suns and crocoite
 Viewed:  45912 Time(s)

Dehne1.jpg

Dehne2.jpg
 Description:
New pyromorphites
 Viewed:  45915 Time(s)

Dehne2.jpg

Dehne3.jpg
 Description:
This is a really nice pyromorphite
 Viewed:  45888 Time(s)

Dehne3.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 00:49    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

I ran across this neat specimen at Collector's Edge.

CA Linarite.jpg
 Description:
This is a linarite from California. The largest crystal is over 3 cm long, which is huge for California. This is from the now abandoned and exhausted Chance Mine.
 Viewed:  45892 Time(s)

CA Linarite.jpg

Darren

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 00:49    Post subject: A "newbie" in Tucson!!!  

Will post a lot more tomorrow now that I'm home, but the neatest??? Finally meeting John Cornish, who had a flat of stuff to give free to my kids, and Steve Sorrell, who I will talk more about of our meeting at the Westward Look (very serendipitous, and he and his wife are wonderful!) in the next post. Kids grabbing oranges from the trees at the Inn Suites, Caitlyn getting in front of Jolyon inadvertently, almost tripping him, meeting Tom Spann (what a nice guy!) while looking for Gail and Jim, trying to find minerals with 5 (yes, FIVE) unruly kids!, seeing my daughter choose a quite nice Santa Eulalia rhodochrosite for her collection, rather dishonest Moroccan dealers, a Moroccan dealer who went out of his way to help the kids pick "just the right" specimen........So much more from someone who made their first trip!

Oh yeah, and entering Jordi's room to say thanks for this wonderful forum, and finding him in a deep conversation with Jack Halpern about something - well, who could interrupt that???? So I looked a bit and backed out of the room. I mean, seriously, Jordi and "Gentleman" Jack???? THAT cannot be interrupted to say "howdy!"

Anyway, more tomorrow after a nights sleep from a long day at the Electric Park show, the Reid Park Zoo (Kristen HAD to see her giraffes!) and the drive home!

Cheers to you all!

Darren

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 00:59    Post subject: Re: A "newbie" in Tucson!!!  

I cannot believe we missed you, but just think....we have another year to plan! Good for you, great you came and Tom said he met you. Glad you got to meet him at least!

Darren

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 01:05    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Gail-

Tom was just such a wonderful, friendly person! Dylan was asking where all of the other postcards were - he loved them!!! Feel like we could just hang out and chat for hours! And yes, we have another year, however, we will be down in Murphy and Arlington later this year to see relatives! Have a great show!

Darren

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 01:08    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

The hard working folks at Collector's Edge.

Richard.jpg
 Description:
Richard has been running the InnSuites room, and is a really nice guy.
 Viewed:  45837 Time(s)

Richard.jpg

Graham.jpg
 Description:
A mineral dealer hard at work. Graham Sutton brings all the rocks for Collector's Edge back from China. Based on the hair, I think Richard and Graham are brothers.
 Viewed:  45919 Time(s)

Graham.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2011 01:24    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

The social life is arrived to Tucson and tomorrow is the FMFs Party! -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=15764#15764

Jordi

Tucson 2011 - Social life.jpg
 Description:
A lot of people is using Tucson as a kind of big meeting. Just as an example we can see here Charlie Sahlman (Lexcel Minerals), John Rakovan (Miami University) his wife and the great Bob Cook! ;-)
Sorry for the poor photo, it was quick taken with my cell phone.
 Viewed:  45866 Time(s)

Tucson 2011 - Social life.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2011 00:17    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Tuesday in Tucson...I finally made it through most of the InnSuites. It takes lots of time to look at minerals, tease old friends, and just walk around. I was so busy today chasing down people I needed to see, and visiting rooms that I forgot to eat or drink all day. So, anyhow, here's what I found interesting at InnSuites...

Gochenour CA Corundum.jpg
 Description:
California Corundum mined by Dana Gochenour. 10 cm long. Very nice for California.
 Viewed:  45462 Time(s)

Gochenour CA Corundum.jpg

Gochenour1.jpg
 Description:
Dana Gochenour holding a fine California Corundum specimen. Dana is a prolific field collector, which seems to be rarer and rarer in the States. He also brought out great Tourmalines from the Cryo-Genie Mine, Fluorites from the Felix Mine, and many others.
 Viewed:  45597 Time(s)

Gochenour1.jpg

Cr Lawsonite Greece.jpg
 Description:
Chromium Lawsonite from Syros Island, Greece. This is the only locality in Europe, and as a Cr variety, they are quite uncommon. About 13 cm across, and self collected by Gunnar Farber in 2010.
 Viewed:  45496 Time(s)

Cr Lawsonite Greece.jpg

Gunnar Faber.jpg
 Description:
This is Gunnar. He deals in rare species and German localities mostly, many with small red arrows pointing to this or that rare species. I came looking for the Cr-Lawsonites on Jordi's recommendation.
 Viewed:  45460 Time(s)

Gunnar Faber.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2011 00:36    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Some more...

Leven and Bethany Paleo Facts.jpg
 Description:
Leven and Bethany own PaleoFacts, and have been importing fossils and minerals from Morocco for as long as I can recall. I've known them for a long time, as we used to do lots of the same shows together. They are also selling a new air abrasive system from China that looks interesting.
 Viewed:  45483 Time(s)

Leven and Bethany Paleo Facts.jpg

PaleoFacts2.jpg
 Description:
I know its fossils and not minerals, but Lev and Beth's selection is quite cool. I have been know to succumb to the fossil temptation on occasion--I have too many geology degrees I suspect.
 Viewed:  45450 Time(s)

PaleoFacts2.jpg

PaleoFacts4.jpg
 Description:
They also carry minerals, so its OK to go into their room! Lev and Beth are great people.
 Viewed:  45434 Time(s)

PaleoFacts4.jpg

Way Too Cool.jpg
 Description:
I am not usually interested in fluorescent minerals for their own sake, but I do test minerals for fluorescence so I can properly label them. Way Too Cool has a long-wave UV LED flashlight, and this triple band light (short, long and middle UV) which looks handy and cool. I plan on ordering one after I get home.
 Viewed:  45444 Time(s)

Way Too Cool.jpg

Huskinsons of Kingman.jpg
 Description:
This couple, or at least half this couple is familiar to folks on FMF. This is "Ed of Kingman", one part of the Huskinsons.
 Viewed:  45437 Time(s)

Huskinsons of Kingman.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2011 00:56    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Just a few more...BTW, sorry about missing the FMF get together, but my wife has a bad back and needed to go home and rest.

Joe Kielbaso.jpg
 Description:
Joe Kielbaso of Gemini Minerals. Joe in conjunction with his son and various other partners was responsible for much of the Tennessee and Illinois fluorite on the market. I've known him for quite some time too, and he and his wife Susan are a pleasure to spend time with.
 Viewed:  45645 Time(s)

Joe Kielbaso.jpg

Susan Kielbaso.jpg
 Description:
Susan Kielbaso, Joe's much better half ;=))
 Viewed:  45493 Time(s)

Susan Kielbaso.jpg

Kielbaso1.jpg
 Description:
Much of the material in Joe and Susan's room is related to their digs for fluorite and related minerals from the mines they have dealt with. But, there are many other worldwide minerals present. The yellow Chinese flourite is neat.
 Viewed:  45390 Time(s)

Kielbaso1.jpg

Kielbaso2.jpg
 Description:
A very nice Cave-in-Rock, Illinois fluorite, about 20 cm across, in Gemini Minerals room
 Viewed:  45388 Time(s)

Kielbaso2.jpg

Kielbaso3.jpg
 Description:
More Gemini Minerals display
 Viewed:  45405 Time(s)

Kielbaso3.jpg

Voelter.jpg
 Description:
Jon Voelter of Voelter Minerals. Jon is fairly new on the dealer scene, but has been in the rock business for quite some time, mainly on the mineral preparation side. I have had him do work for me on my personal specimens because I trust his work. He also recently acquired with his partners the Al Ordway collection. Al was one of the true old-time California field collectors, and it was nice to see his minerals displayed with his hand annotated labels.
 Viewed:  45535 Time(s)

Voelter.jpg

Voelter1.jpg
 Description:
Minerals in Jon's room. The blue Topaz on the right is from the Little 3 Mine and was sold to Al Ordway by Spaulding. It is a smoker at about 7 cm across.
 Viewed:  45377 Time(s)

Voelter1.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2011 01:16    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Alfredo Petrov.jpg
 Description:
Alfredo Petrov...everyone on FMF knows him. He deals in rare species and is an expert on Bolivia, Japan, and god knows what all else...a true Renaissance man. Alfredo is also the guy to see for Mineral Up magazine published in Spain. It is in English, has great photos and belongs in _your_ library.
 Viewed:  45365 Time(s)

Alfredo Petrov.jpg

Henmilite Alfredo.jpg
 Description:
Alfredo had several huge Japanese Henmilite specimens in his room, the biggest I've seen and I've seen alot. Very reasonable prices on them too.
 Viewed:  45348 Time(s)

Henmilite Alfredo.jpg

Alfredo Sign.jpg
 Description:
For those who don't know what Keystone means, Alfredo has provided a perfectly clear explanation.
 Viewed:  45390 Time(s)

Alfredo Sign.jpg

Chris Lehmann.jpg
 Description:
Chris Lehmann is a friend whom my wife and I have known since the 1980s, when we setup at the old La Quinta show in Tucson. Chris is a field collector in California, who walks the hills around Bishop discovering new mineral deposits. Over the years he has found Axinite, Spinel, Rutile, Quartz with inclusions of Hematite, Andesine, Epidote, etc. I've collected with him before and he is a collecting machine. If you don't know him, and like California minerals, you need to get to know him.
 Viewed:  45394 Time(s)

Chris Lehmann.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2011 01:45    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

To follow what happened in the FMFs party, please use this link -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=15827#15827

Jordi

ellencmoe

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2011 11:59    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Thank you for all the posts but especially for the picture of Dana Gochenour and his specimen from the Cryo-Genie Mine. I keep looking for pictures of specimens from the California pegmatites.

It is interesting that you mention he has fluorites from the Felix Mine. To the best of my knowledge based on ttrips there and the online info from Justin Zzyzx, there really is no "Felix Mine". There are numerous veins of the mineral in the hills above Azusa. One of the most active prospectors there recently was Thomas Hess, who recently passed away.

For the Californai Minerals, I guess I have to wait for the main show to open tomorrow. Jeff Swanger, the owner of the Oceanview Mine, just posted on his Facebook page that California mining legend, Ed Swaboda will be unveiling the Oceanview Case at 10 AMwhich will include the newly mined world class kunzites they have been finding.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 00:47    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

ellencmoe wrote:
Thank you for all the posts but especially for the picture of Dana Gochenour and his specimen from the Cryo-Genie Mine. I keep looking for pictures of specimens from the California pegmatites.

It is interesting that you mention he has fluorites from the Felix Mine. To the best of my knowledge based on ttrips there and the online info from Justin Zzyzx, there really is no "Felix Mine". There are numerous veins of the mineral in the hills above Azusa.

Hi Ellen,
Just to clarify, the specimen Dana was holding is a Corundum from Riverside County, California. The Cryo-Genie produced Tourmaline, Beryl, and a few pegmatite oddities.

You are exactly right about the Felix...it was a series of pits along a set of veins hosted in granitic rock. But Felix Mine sounds better than the Felix Pits.
Bob

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 08:50    Post subject: Tucson Show 2011 - 7  

Tucson 02/09/2011

Now is the time of the Main Show. Everybody arrive for this giant social event and the show becomes really crowdy. Curators, collectors, friends...for a few days Tucson will be the center of the mineralogical universe.

Jordi
2010 European correspondent of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™

Tucson 2011 - Crowdy 1.jpg
 Description:
Mike Rumsey (NHM London) Jamie Newman (New York Museum), Gneissware and friends, Tony Kampf, Alyssa Morgan and Stuart Mills (Los Angeles Museum)....

Everybody is in Tucson! ;-)
 Viewed:  44776 Time(s)

Tucson 2011 - Crowdy 1.jpg

Tucson 2011 - Crowdy 2.jpg
 Description:
Crowdy, crowdy
 Viewed:  44819 Time(s)

Tucson 2011 - Crowdy 2.jpg

Tucson 2011 - Crowdy 3.jpg
 Description:
Alyssa Morgan (Los Angeles Museum), Alan Hart (NHM London), Jamie Newman, George Harlow, Renata Schumacher....
 Viewed:  44881 Time(s)

Tucson 2011 - Crowdy 3.jpg

Elise

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2011 12:24    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Curators, collectors, friends...for a few days Tucson will be the center of the mineralogical universe.
2010 European correspondent of the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show™

More news from The Room with a View: for those still in Tucson, you won't want to miss Jeff Scovil and Mark Mauthner's Mineral Photography Seminar today at 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm in the Turquoise Ballroom. They will each be presenting on different aspects of mineral and gem photography, including specialized lighting techniques.

I've spent the better part of the last two weeks watching some of the most extraordinary specimens of this year's show come through these doors to be imaged, including magnificent large tanzanite crystals adorned with perfect prismatic prehnite crystals; these latter were single crystals very unlike the more commonly seen botryoidal type, a very aesthetic combination of color and form. Many of these mineral specimens combine several crystals requiring very different lighting requirements, such as when one member of a cluster is transparent and pleochroic while its companion is opaque (see new portrait below).

Best Wishes,
Elise
(Lectures and seminars are held Thursday through Sunday of the Show week in the Crystal Ballroom and Turquoise Ballroom at the Tucson Convention Center. They are open to the public and free of charge).

elbaite2011.jpg
 Description:
Elbaite Tourmaline with smokey quartz from the Tourmaline Queen Mine, Pala, California, 13.2 cm high. Collection of Jesse Fisher and Joan Kureczka (Photo: Jeff Scovil).
 Viewed:  44682 Time(s)

elbaite2011.jpg

working2011a.jpg
 Description:
Another work day.....setting up an opal shot.
 Viewed:  44661 Time(s)

working2011a.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 00:37    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

With the TGMS ("Main") show starting at the convention center, I have been busy chasing after deals, arranging sales and purchases, and now have a few minutes to post. First off, are a few things not mineral related....

9G Donuts2.jpg
 Description:
Queen Donuts!
If you haven't had donuts, this is the place to try. It has a five star rating and it is good. Nothing like a bit of dough and sugar fried in oil to get the day started.
 Viewed:  44143 Time(s)

9G Donuts2.jpg

9G Donuts1.jpg
 Description:
These are the donuts!
 Viewed:  44167 Time(s)

9G Donuts1.jpg

1 Javelina.jpg
 Description:
And last, one of the things I have always heard about in Tucson are the javelina, but in 30 years here have never seen before. This one, and 6 of its friends, were outside my window Wednesday morning...watching me eat donuts.
 Viewed:  44140 Time(s)

1 Javelina.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 00:48    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

And now on to the TGMS show...

2 Emperor.jpg
 Description:
The talk of the show is the Emperor of China Rhodochrosite from Wudong Mine. This specimen is nearly a meter high, and made its was to Collector's Edge through Graham Sutton (who is lurking behind the specimen).
 Viewed:  44306 Time(s)

2 Emperor.jpg

4 Empress.jpg
 Description:
Although smaller, the Empress of China is no less impressive. Rob of Collector's Edge is the lab wizard who performs the cleaning and preparation miracles.
 Viewed:  44188 Time(s)

4 Empress.jpg

5 Barite.jpg
 Description:
Another impressive piece at Collector's Edge is this huge Montana Baryte specimen of 25+ cm across.
 Viewed:  44118 Time(s)

5 Barite.jpg

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2011 01:00    Post subject: Re: Tucson Show 2011  

The theme of the show is Minerals of California.

7 Seibels Rutile.jpg
 Description:
John Seibel is one of my friends, and a great field collector. This is a Rutile specimen from the Champion Mine in Mono County. The largest Rutile is about 4-5 cm across.
 Viewed:  44183 Time(s)

7 Seibels Rutile.jpg

8 Seibels Fresnoite.jpg
 Description:
A Fresnoite crystal on Analcime from near the Benitoite locality, also in Seibel's collection. This is one of the best I've seen.
 Viewed:  44132 Time(s)

8 Seibels Fresnoite.jpg

9 Big Blue1.jpg
 Description:
A killer specimen from the Tourmaline Queen Mine in San Diego Country. It's huge, and has spectacular color.
 Viewed:  44170 Time(s)

9 Big Blue1.jpg

9 Big Blue2.jpg
 Description:
Another view of the Tourmaline Queen Mine specimen.
 Viewed:  44134 Time(s)

9 Big Blue2.jpg

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 4 of 9
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  

Jump to: