We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
22 May-23:56:12 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Roger Warin)
22 May-21:22:16 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
22 May-14:54:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
22 May-11:58:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Firmo Espinar)
22 May-10:21:09 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Carnein)
22 May-09:33:28 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 May-07:59:45 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Bob Morgan)
22 May-04:17:03 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (James Catmur)
22 May-02:23:18 The mizunaka collection - ludlamite (Am Mizunaka)
21 May-17:26:32 Re: provide miller indices in practice please (Josele)
21 May-16:01:12 Provide miller indices in practice please (Robson Vieira)
21 May-12:49:16 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
20 May-22:03:46 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
20 May-20:45:03 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
20 May-19:11:50 The mizunaka collection - stalactite (Am Mizunaka)
20 May-15:43:58 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:37:59 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:32:02 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
20 May-15:24:04 Re: mineral identification tips (Robson Vieira)
19 May-14:28:05 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
19 May-13:04:59 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 May-12:31:54 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
19 May-08:49:12 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
19 May-08:08:17 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
19 May-02:34:57 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 23, 2024 04:20

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Introduction

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Twigg

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2011 12:17    Post subject: Introduction  

I'm an avid chemistry student who first got interested in mineralogy after learning that sulfuric acid could be produced from pyrite just like it is in acid mine drainage. I immediately went out to find pyrite to make some sulfuric acid of my own, learned a bit on identifying minerals, and found out some things on my own.
As a chemist, I struggle with the qualitative aspects of mineralogy such as habit, grain size, banding, structure, etc. When I started out trying to identify minerals, I tried to use more chemistry-like methods like using density measurements, magnetic susceptibility and magnetism, reaction with acids, and water reactivity. I have also tried some experimental methods, to no success, such as litmus test of the dampened sample and electrical resistance. The litmus tests all showed up slightly yellow and the resistance was outside of my multimeter's range for most samples. Even density measurements were only useful to a point, I learned, because rocks are mixtures. I did find, however, that quartz has a rather consistent density around 2.6 grams per centimeter squared except when it has big inclusions. I attempted to verify this by measuring the density of synthetic silica powder I made in my lab, but of all things I ran out of filter paper at the last minute and couldn't extract the powder. I also want to try additional testing methods like testing the sample for reactivity with iodine or iodide.
I do not know many minerals, but from my lab experience I am very familiar with copper sulfate hydrate (chalcanthite) and anhydrous, basic copper carbonate (malachite and azurite), copper oxides (cuprous oxide = cuprite, cupric oxide = tenorite), precipitated magnesium carbonate (same composition as magnesite), and others. I am particularly interested in copper carbonate and hydroxide minerals because the prepared copper carbonates and hydroxides vary much in appearance depending on how they are prepared. I am extremely interested in rock and crystal formation, as I see many parallel situations in the lab. For example, copper carbonate often replaces calcite in the lab, as it can do in rocks.
I have kept a collection of samples entirely from my yard (for lack of time and nearby sites to visit). There's nothing too special, a handful of garnet mica schists, some vesicular basalt, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm still trying to learn the traits of minerals, but it's been going slowly and I'm always going back to sites to explain different habits and lusters. I'll try not to be a bother to you guys who know this stuff cold.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Darryl

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2011 12:46    Post subject: Re: Introduction  

Hello and welcome

Personally I enjoy reading about what new members, and especially those new to rocks/mineral are learning. The excitment of their discoveries comes through their writtings, and I know that writting these things helps organize one's thoughts. And besides - as I've learned- if you say something wrong it's likely someone will point it out and then you will have learned something else.

Darryl

Peter

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2011 13:42    Post subject: Re: Introduction  

Hi I became interested in minerals first as a small child, then chemistry. There were early on chemical analyses done, blow pipe etc applied to minerals and many new elements and compunds/minerals were discovered and described. I would suggets you to get in touch with some mineral colelctors in your area. Go to some local mineral shows, contactc the geoscience department of your or other nearby University (perhaps no one there is too much interested in specimen mineralogy!). Besides reading books in the library, get some Mineralogical Record back issues. Many special ones with interesting areas covered. Later there are many good books in many fields. The Canadian mineralogist is excellent, read it and Elements!!!
Best regards
Peter

lluis

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2011 15:31    Post subject: Re: Introduction  

Hi, Twigg

Well, being chemist (yes one of those fools in B series.... :-) ), I appreciate a lot that you take a chemist approach to mineralogy.

My wife often says that I do not collect minerals, but formulae, and Jordi knows that I fell in love with a rare species very easily...(well, they are *rare*, so, collectable, so I *should have*, so....(long rant...) )

I love also pedigreed pieces! (even some as odd as a calaverite that was accepted by a "lady of negotiable love" * in lates 1900's as payement for her services (gold is gold, and negotiable love does not erase to be smart....)

Welcome to the hobby!

As a blemish in my formation, I personally *hate* to speak to a no-name...
Being you chemist, I gladly forget my rule never answer a post that carries not a name, but I am heartily very obliged to people that place a name (yes, I know that not necesarily a true name, but.... :-) )

With best wishes

Lluís

* I am a fan of Terry Pratchett and his disc world.... :-)

Twigg

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2011 11:18    Post subject: Re: Introduction  

Sorry I didn't respond. I just got back from a busy trip. Thanks all for the replies!

Lluis, if this makes my username less alienating at all, "Twigg" is a play on my real name. It's nothing personal that I don't share my name. You know how it is.

'not collecting minerals but formulae,' that's a great line. That's the way I try to approach it, but because I only collect local samples I never actually find a variety or substantial quantity of minerals. It's a bit frustrating at times to have to work with rocks, since they're mixtures and such. All my lab tricks go out the window: displacement test doesn't help, nor conductivity, nor flame tests (they all have a bit of sodium), and even hardness testing doesn't help. I've been trying to develop selective extraction techniques (I haven't been very successful though), so you could say I'm literally collecting formulae. hehe

Peter, thanks. I can't seem to find any connections in my area. The nearest university is in the next county and there isn't a organized mineralogical community in my area (that I know of), although there is one for the whole region (which is probably focused outside of my area).
I don't actually have any good books on the subject. I've been relying on a few short guides and web resources. I do have an old CRC, from before they took out the properties of minerals section, but it's not much help. Long Island is not in an ideal place for the hobby.

Darryl, thanks! It's great to know that other members will be helping me (and others too I bet) out.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2011 17:04    Post subject: Re: Introduction  

Twigg...I think the many serious mineral collectors I know who live on LI would take umbrage at your statement. There are several mineral and gem societies out there, a separate post on that subject would get you several referrals I'm sure.

Stony Brook has a serious mineralogy program and library to go along with it.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: