We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 26, 2024 03:54

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What characteristics were used to make the determination of the localities?

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Darryl

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2011 03:54    Post subject: What characteristics were used to make the determination of the localities?  

In -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=19093#19093 Jordi Fabre wrote:

With the new ones, I would say Xinghualing Mine with more conviction...

Hello Jordi,

This is one of several comments I have read on this forum about the locality of a specimen being a particular area or mine and, having little knowledge and no experience in this area, I was wondering what characteristics were used to make the determination. I would guess there is not a single set of criteria used universally but I would find it interesting if you and/or others in the group could list and discuss a few and give some expamples. I have no doubt about the ability of the people who have made such comments to recognize minerals from a particular locality but I don't know how they do it.

The blue fluorite crystals in the post to which your comment ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=19093#19093 ) refers is a an example of my inability to determine a locality. When I saw them I immediately thought of an abandoned mine in New Mexico where we had collected what looked to me like similar crystals when I was a student. Obviously I was wrong but it struck me that I didn't know why I was wrong.

Thanks for any comments or information you or others may care to pass along.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2011 04:34    Post subject: Re: What characteristics were used to make the determination of the localities?  

Very interesting topic Darryl, I splitted your post from the former thread and I created with it a new thread. As currently I'm extremely busy I can't answer you properly right now, but I'm sure my colleagues will do it even better than me! ;-)

On case they don't, I'll answer you after a while when I have more time. It is a complex topic and I prefer don't answer you instead to do it improperly.

Darryl wrote:

...When I saw them I immediately thought of an abandoned mine in New Mexico where we had collected what looked to me like similar crystals when I was a student....

Right Darryl, but on this case the starting point is that Stan Feng said: "China" ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=18906#18906 ) and his word is extremely valid as he his located in Singapore.... ;-)

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 03:19    Post subject: Re: What characteristics were used to make the determination of the localities?  

Very interesting topic indeed!!

Trying to add one more point to this complex matter: are not some of you amazed or confused when looking at very similar specimens coming from very distant countries? I know the geological formations can be identical, but the fact still remains.

For instance, the specimens coming from skarns. It would be very tricky for me to identify two similar specimens from two different skarns. There are minerals that have specific features so it is easy to say: "doubtless it is from...". I am thinking in stepped Fluorite cubes with deep colored edges on Sphalerite from Elmwood or Prehnite balls with Epidote from Mali, Pyrites from Navajun, raspberry Grossular from Coahuila and hundreds of examples like these. On the other hand we have pairs -even more- of very similar specimens but coming from distant localities.

What about adding some pictures of these last situations in another thread?

If Jordi considers it a good idea and splits this thread -please, Jordi, do not hurry up-, I will try to start with an example from my own collection -a limited one, I am afraid-. The title could be something like: "it looks like from... but it is actually from..." or "Reasonalbe resemblances" - like the TV program-.

Regards

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 03:35    Post subject: Re: What characteristics were used to make the determination of the localities?  

Antonio Alcaide wrote:

If Jordi considers it a good idea and splits this thread, I will try to start with an example from my own collection. The title could be something like: "it looks like from... but it is actually from..." or "Reasonalbe resemblances" - like the TV program-.

Great idea, but I believe it would be better to continue this topic here instead to open another thread and move between both threads.

Anyway, please do it if you consider it necessary.

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 03:44    Post subject: Re: What characteristics were used to make the determination of the localities?  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Great idea, but I believe it would be better to continue this topic here instead to open another thread and move between both threads.

Anyway, please do it if you consider it necessary.

I agree with you. Better if we manage only one topic. I suppose It could be "the other side of the coin" : when identification is ambiguous due to the similarity.

Let me check my collection to provide a clear example.

Regards

Darryl

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 10:21    Post subject: Re: What characteristics were used to make the determination of the localities?  

Glad you fellows thought my question interesting. I am sitting on well right now but will be home in a couple of weeks and I think I can get some photos of the blue fluorite I was thinking of when I saw the other photos.

Darryl

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2011 18:11    Post subject: Re: What characteristics were used to make the determination of the localities?  

First of all, my apologies: as I said my collection is not great so I have not so many pairs of examples. I am going to complete the pairs with specimens from the large gallery of Mindat.

First picture.

It could be Hematite, var. iron rose from Switzerland. Like these:

https://www.mindat.org/gallery.php?cform_is_valid=1&loc=7103&min=1856&cf_pager_page=1

A regular collector, even a conoisseur could identify the specimen this way.

And it is actually from Xichang Mine, Xichang Co., Liangshan Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan, China,

The clues for a correct identification: no Adularia, no Rutile... but there are specimens from Switzerland only with Quartz like the example. The best clue: it is owned by Antonio Alcaide, it is to say, by myself and specimens from Switzerland are very expensive for me :-)

I will try to add other examples.

Regards

PICT9838.JPG
 Description:
Hematite var. iron rose on Quartz
Xichang Mine, Xichang Co., Liangshan Autonomous Prefecture, Sichuan, China
4 x 3,5 cm.
Iron rose measures 2,5 cm. long
 Viewed:  11182 Time(s)

PICT9838.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2011 15:05    Post subject: Re: What characteristics were used to make the determination of the localities?  

Darryl wrote:

I would guess there is not a single set of criteria used universally but I would find it interesting if you and/or others in the group could list and discuss a few and give some examples

Hi Darryl,

I believe the keyword is "terabytes"! ;-)

Minerals are something special, each one is different from the others and although specimens of the same species from the same deposit tend to be similar, each mineral is an individual, two equals don't exist.

What does this mean? it means that to recognize the specimens you should have inside your mind a giant amount of information and also the hability to manage it well, in order to use the various subtle details of the previous info you accumulated. Museums, collections, magazines, field collecting...everything contributes, but you need vast experience because minerals present an enormous amount of information, and that information should be also very diversified about species, localities and slight differences in order to try to match the target of the correct recognition.

There is much more to say. I will wait a little bit and I will join the discussion (if it starts). If not, later, I will write again more of my thoughts about this very interesting topic.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: