We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
04 Jun-20:17:45 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
04 Jun-15:27:00 Re: the mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
04 Jun-08:39:41 Re: collection of michael shaw - malachite (Michael Shaw)
04 Jun-01:49:14 Re: the mizunaka collection (Jordi Fabre)
03 Jun-21:44:21 The mizunaka collection - stibnite (Am Mizunaka)
03 Jun-06:16:31 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-13:39:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
02 Jun-08:51:39 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
02 Jun-02:27:53 The mizunaka collection - rhodchrosite (Am Mizunaka)
02 Jun-01:36:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
02 Jun-01:17:41 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Volkmar Stingl)
01 Jun-22:11:04 Re: is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Roger Warin)
01 Jun-20:02:10 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
01 Jun-10:24:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-10:21:30 Is malachite rare? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:51:59 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Matt_zukowski)
01 Jun-09:21:32 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
01 Jun-07:40:50 Re: mineral identification tips (Cascaillou)
31 May-16:04:59 Is this a rhyolite matrix with calcite and smoky quartz? (Gk68)
31 May-15:40:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
31 May-15:40:12 Re: is this dolomite-pyrite-siderite? (Gk68)
31 May-09:28:53 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-08:49:08 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Alfredo)
31 May-07:33:18 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (Rick Roan)
31 May-07:26:07 Re: is it possible for this specimen of hyalite to be associated with other minerals? (James Catmur)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jun 05, 2024 04:11

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Distinguishing between Quartz and Cerrusite

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

MrOHBrown

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2008 07:37    Post subject: Distinguishing between Quartz and Cerrusite  

Hello folks,

I am a new member and have recently found an unexpected passion for rocks.

This passion is well facilitated by the fact that I am a Chemistry teacher and I have access to an extensive, but neglected, rock collection that I am excited about bringing order to.

One drawer is labelled "Cerrusite and Galena" - However what is in the drawer is what appears to be a LOT of Quartz with beautiful veins of Galena and Pyrite.

Adding HCl to the white crystals yields no reaction leading me to believe it is Quartz, and no picture of Cerrusite, nor the Cerrusite that I have at home, looks anything like the specimens I have been studying.

I am willing to bank on it being Quartz but would appreciate your input.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2008 11:38    Post subject: Re: Distinguishing between Quartz and Cerrusite  

Some chance to publish a photo here? Anyway, you could try if it scratch the glass. If yes, then for sure is not Cerussite but possibly Quartz.

Jordi
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2008 11:52    Post subject: Re: Distinguishing between Quartz and Cerrusite  

Dear MrOH,
Likely you are right that it's just quartz that contains the galena etc., because quartz is certainly a lot more common than cerussite. Possibly, there is a small amount of cerussite present, perhaps coating some of the galena?
There should be many easy ways to distinguish cerussite from quartz. Pieces that are mostly cerussite would feel quite a bit heavier than a comparable size of pure quartz (unless it's full of galena too). And as Jordi says, hardness would be a very easy test; quartz would scratch glass, cerussite (H = 3 to 3.5) would not; or, you can easily scratch cerussite with a knife, quartz not.
Pete Modreski

MrOHBrown

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2008 04:54    Post subject: Re: Distinguishing between Quartz and Cerrusite  

Hello people,

Please, call me Owen.

I have attached just one specimen of the rocks I mentioned earlier. There is little difference between the specimens so I think this one will assist you.

I have no doubt that the specimens contain Galena and Pyrite.

The White material scratched glass, furthering my suspicions that it is Quartz.

You can notice some othe reds and oranges, I put this down to other Iron compounds.

Please assist!

Galena-Pyrite.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  12644 Time(s)

Galena-Pyrite.jpg

Les Presmyk

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2008 11:19    Post subject: Re: Distinguishing between Quartz and Cerrusite  

Looks like quartz to me and a fairly typical ore specimen at that. If it were cerussite, the piece would be noticeably heavier. If this were cerussite, the sulfides would have oxidation halos around them rather than the very crisp surfaces.

MrOHBrown

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2008 16:53    Post subject: Re: Distinguishing between Quartz and Cerrusite  

Ha ha, I don't mind it being an average-joe specimen, I just want it to be accurately named!

Based on your input there is NO Cerrusute in the drawer in queston and the sticker as been removed.

Thanks for your help!

Joan R.

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2008 03:48    Post subject: Re: Distinguishing between Quartz and Cerrusite  

Hi,
I would like to say that if you have a UV lamp (very cheap, used to detect false bills), Cerussite usually shows fluorescence under UV light, and then you could check if in the fluorescent area there is something interesting.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: