We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Apr-03:14:45 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
27 Apr-20:28:29 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
27 Apr-11:25:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
27 Apr-05:13:42 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-10:41:00 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-10:27:30 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-10:10:30 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
26 Apr-09:24:46 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-07:54:41 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
26 Apr-03:35:03 Re: collection of antonio nazario (James Catmur)
26 Apr-03:19:37 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:52:29 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Tobi)
26 Apr-02:36:06 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Jordi Fabre)
26 Apr-01:07:58 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
25 Apr-22:13:47 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-22:02:52 Re: collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-21:44:30 Collection of antonio nazario (Antonio Nazario)
25 Apr-19:17:26 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 28, 2024 07:51

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Laminating labels

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 20:15    Post subject: Laminating labels  

A very good friend of mine recently called and asked me if laminating mineral specimen labels would negatively affect their value. I told him that I did not know the answer to that question, but that I would post it on FMF to see what sort of responses resulted. In my own view, since we mineral collectors are collecting minerals and not labels, it should not make any difference. This is not the same as in stamp collecting where the actual object being collected would absolutely be devalued by laminating it. True, a label collector would find this practice objectionable, but should a mineral collector care? Very often with mineral collectors, it is the provenance of a specimen that is important. If laminating a label helps to preserve the provenance, then can that be bad?

Comments on this subject would be very welcome.

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gail

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 21:17    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

I like laminated labels from dealers, not from collectors. If its hand written then I want it left as is, no laminate.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2012 22:31    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

John S. White wrote:
... In my own view, since we mineral collectors are collecting minerals and not labels, it should not make any difference... If laminating a label helps to preserve the provenance, then can that be bad?

John,

This is an interesting question. I agree with Gail about a dealer laminating his/her own labels--I like them.

As to old labels, there are definitely specimens that people collect just because of the accompanying labels. For example, I ran across a specimen that was interesting but not great except that it was ex. W. Roebling Collection, and ex. US National Museum (Smithsonian) Collection, and ex. John Sinkankas collection. The labels are worth more than the specimen, and I think laminating them would devalue the item as the specimen and labels are intimately linked.

Given that we don't really know who will be considered a prominent collector in the future, using the above example, I think that laminating an existing label may have the consequence of devaluing the specimen in the future.

This touches on an issue that came up in FMF a year or two ago about preserving labels: Preserving old labels. There is one camp of which I am a member that thinks the history of the specimen, including all its labels and chain of ownership, is important to the value of the specimen. The provenance is something that once lost cannot be recreated. If I recall, there is another camp that believes one should keep only the newest label and maybe the oldest if it is historically significant now.

I disagree. For example, at the time a specimen was being distributed out of the Canfield collection, he might have been considered just another collector and his label discarded under this mindset. Specimens with a Canfield label are more valuable now because of having his label. And, to return to your original question, more valuable as an unlaminated label in good condition.

BTW, I place the old labels in glassine folders used by postage stamp collectors.

Bob

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2012 03:22    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

Good morning

Well, I am in same field as Gneissware
A label should be let as it was created, in my opinion.
If a dealer makes labels laminated, well, those labels are laminated.
If a collector makes his own (I stress *own*) labels laminated, great.

But I feel that laminating an old label, or better, a previous one (not need to be ancient, nor antique), is like defacing a coin or a stamp.

Maybe I am also an antiques collector, and I also am in the field that thinks that reparations should be reversible (laminating is not reversible!)
And, as Gneissware said, some specimens I own I appreciate them more for label than for the specimen in itself.
I also apreciate a lot a couple specimens that are 40 y.o. (well, found 40 years ago...), with label from finder, signed by him.

And when I can and find, I also collect labels (antiques or modern....)

But that is taste.... (I have specimens that have 8 labels from previous owners and dealers.)
And no, I do not place them in glassite, but I use archive quality paper for my own files and I store all in archive quality boxes, with some stuff to discourage any insect to try the taste of old paper....
Also, making progreses in repairing paper... (with old comics in pulp paper; neutralizing acidity and consolidating...The chemist in me, I suppose :-) )

With best wishes

Lluís

crocoite

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2012 05:16    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

I too agree. I have a few Arthur Russell specimens with his characteristic labels. I would hate to see them "defaced".

If a collector doesn't really consider the older labels to be that important, and prefers laminated label, think about copying them, laminating the copy and forwarding the original to the Minrecord label archive.

Regards
Steve

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2012 05:37    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

All excelllent comments and I am sure that my friend will be appreciative because he has been considering liminating some of his old specimen labels. I have one question, however, and this may seem trivial (I hope not). If a dealer laminates his own labels, in the future how does a collector who obtains one of these know it was done by the dealer and not by someone else later on?

I like the use of glassine envelopes, which is what I do.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2012 09:13    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

John S. White wrote:
If a dealer laminates his own labels, in the future how does a collector who obtains one of these know it was done by the dealer and not by someone else later on?

I guess the answer is you may not know. There are certain modern dealers who laminate their labels, so labels from these would be expected to be laminated. Any others would be uncertain. It could be said that laminating economically has only been around for 20 years, so any labels earlier than that likely would not have been laminated by the original label creator.

David

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2012 12:02    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

This is an interesting question. First of all allow me to say that I think it’s just fine to collect whatever you feel like. That is the whole point of collecting things. In my case, labels are redundant. I collect minerals for what they make me feel, not for what others felt before me. I might in fact be more reluctant to purchase a piece which was previously owned by many others. I prefer to be the one to discover its value.
Anyway, someone here said that the laminating process is irreversible. Well, I’ve tried that successfully, no harm done, although not with an old label. Maybe more caution would be required.
I wouldn’t buy a piece for myself if I don’t find it interesting, no matter who wrote the label. But I might just buy it in order to resell it to someone who’s fond of labels.

Regards to everyone

Collect whatever makes you happy!

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2012 14:03    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

Good evening, David, listizens

Well, I am the one that said that laminating is irreversible.
And for what I saw in some plasticed papers (spanish), for me and my skills, it is completely irreversible: if I try to separate the plastic foil from the paper, I end just with a paper thorn...
Maybe I am too beasty doing this, but I do not know another way just to try to heat and separate. And I could not.

May you be so kind to tell how that could be done?

Try this with an old paper, fragile, many times even more fragile becasue it has been in a place where sulphides were evolving sulfurous anhidride fumes, and well, it is not a duty that I would like to do.
I got enough frustation when an old label glued in an old nagyagite specimen was just over the lump of blue tack with it was sent to me.... No more old label. Just some debris... :-(

And yes, I suppose that I am fond of labels.... :-)
If you have to discard labels, I would be very pleased to adopt them ! :-)

With best wishes

Lluís

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2012 14:16    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

Just to confuse things a bit more. I don't know if the laminating material is chemically inert. Many plastics off gas, and not all are archival quality. So, laminating a label could lead to its destruction over time. I haven't seen the Smithsonian talk about laminating the Declaration of Independence to preserve it ;=))

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2012 14:37    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

Good evening, Gneissware, List

Well, for what I have seen, seems that is used Polyester (Mylar or something like this...).
That is safe. As far as I know. Form stability point of view.

But could also be used PVC (polyvinylchloride).
PVC is too hard, and should be plastized.
That could be done with a liquid plasticer (DOP; DBP,....) or with an insider plasticer, like styrene.

If styrene is added, well, it turns yellow with time, tends to make thinks fragile and at the end crumbles for sorrow of inside paper.

If liquid pasticers are added (the ones I placed are at present forbidden in Europe, for cancerogenic issues), then those tend to "sweat" out of polymer matrix, oiling coins ..and in case of paper, paper... That could move some colors, and some modern inks. Old inks, could be also affected.

Not my idea of archival quality.
And of course not of tose making the stuff to archive stamps.

By the way, I fear that if anyone just dare to think to laminate the Declaration of Independence, a big stirr would happen.... And I would not like to be in his skin :-)
More when there are far better ways to preserve paper...

WQith best wishes

Lluís

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2012 20:04    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

Interesting little threat that you started here John. I kind of share the same view then Gneissware on this with my grain of salt below.

But why laminate anyways? I personally do not and will not as I do not see the basis for doing it. Some dealers laminate their labels, true, and the labels look nice but does it make your specimen look nicer? No, but increases the dealer overhead (not by much but still.....).

Labels have to be preserved for sure and keeping them in small glassine envelop does the trick for me (laminated or not, one envelop per specimen, as many label as you want).

Like everything in this world, keep it "au naturel".

Cheers

Jean

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2012 01:10    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

Good morning

Rereading what I wrote.
Plastizer in PVC plastics I meant to write butadiene-styrene copolymers, or butadiene alone.

In both cases, they tend to turn yellow and degradate.

Too aslept yesterday..
Sorry.

With best wishes

Lluís

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2012 11:05    Post subject: Re: Laminating labels  

HI to everybody! Personally I don't use laminating labels for my collection. Simply I use adhesive labels I wrote a number on, attached directly to the specimen or to the basis or to the micromount box; then I have a list of numbers where the correspondant name of the specimen and its origin appear; finally I have a card folder where the name of the specimen is decisive for an alphabetical order arrangement. Everything is of course reported both on paper and in an excel file. For example:
1865 BERYL VAR. AQUAMARINE; BRAZIL-Santa Catarina-Minas Gerais;
single crystal on rock; 2010 Munich Mineralientage.
The patch with the number 1865 is attached directly on the specimen.
I hope I have explained it efficiently.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: