We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
14 May-23:19:21 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
14 May-21:10:18 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
13 May-23:36:11 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
13 May-08:41:33 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 May-22:29:48 Re: what is this? -found in a playground - very out of place. (Volkmar Stingl)
12 May-15:50:55 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 May-14:17:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 May-12:05:46 Re: what is this? -found in a playground - very out of place. (James Catmur)
12 May-12:02:43 Re: what is this? -found in a playground - very out of place. (Corbi)
12 May-03:26:20 Re: what is this? -found in a playground - very out of place. (James Catmur)
11 May-22:30:33 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
11 May-18:51:32 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
11 May-15:23:13 What is this? -found in a playground - very out of place. (Corbi)
11 May-13:26:52 Re: contribution dr. Menor-salván - uranyl minerals at assunçao mine (portugal) - (47) (Fmf Forum)
11 May-13:26:13 Re: contribution dr. Menor-salván - uranyl minerals at assunçao mine (portugal) - (47) (Fmf Forum)
11 May-13:25:19 Contribution dr. Menor-salván - uranyl minerals at assunçao mine (portugal) - (47) (Fmf Forum)
11 May-11:46:16 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
10 May-22:14:12 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Roger Warin)
10 May-13:28:46 Re: european mineral and mining museums (Robert Seitz)
09 May-16:13:20 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 May-13:10:03 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
09 May-12:56:47 Re: collection of michael shaw (Volkmar Stingl)
09 May-10:06:43 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
09 May-07:37:08 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
08 May-23:30:56 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is May 15, 2024 00:23

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
How to clean acicular crystals?

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

David

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2012 13:54    Post subject: How to clean acicular crystals?  

Hello,
I have a question, hope you can help me. How would you clean a very sensitive acicular mineral like stibnite without damaging it? (I mean to remove dust and stains) What about a fluffy okenite or extremely fragile scolecite? I know it is best not to let the dust cover the specimens in the first place, but some of them were dirty when I acquired them. I suppose you’ve noticed by now that I have a crush on needle like minerals. Thank you all!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2012 14:48    Post subject: Re: How to clean acicular crystals?  

There are many techniques for cleaning delicate specimens and some can be rather destructive.

I generally start with a bath of soapy water, fill a container with water and some dish washing detergent, then you just swish the specimen around and the loose debris will fall off.

For dirt that is attached directly, I again use dish detergent but use a very soft artists paint brush and with gentle strokes, brush the specimen to remove the dirt.

I have also used a spray bottle that you squeeze with your hand to move dirt from very delicate acicular specimens. This worked very well on some pentagonite specimens that I cleaned recently. Again, use soapy water in the spray bottle then flush with fresh water to rinse. You can control the velocity of the water spray by limiting the pressure you squeeze the trigger with.

If you can afford it, an ultra sonic cleaner will also work very well on these types of specimens, many are available for approximately $50-$100 on line.

Probably the most useful tool for cleaning, is the high pressure water gun that is commonly sold on line. It is very good at blasting dirt from tight crevasses in specimens and is very good for removing some undesirable druzy coatings that may be attached. This gun works at a high pressure and should be used with caution as specimens can be destroyed or you can cut yourself with the spray. Once again the cost of this item is around $50-$90 and can be sourced on line.

One word of caution, I would be very careful in cleaning the okenite specimens as they are extremely delicate and could be damaged by many of these techniques.

Hope that helps,
Joseph

David

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2012 15:05    Post subject: Re: How to clean acicular crystals?  

Thank you very much, I will have the ultrasonic cleaner in mind.
I have had no problem with cleaning hard crystals, but I wouldn’t apply any sort of pressure on soft acicular crystals. Now I’m focused in preserving them in suitable conditions, unfortunately previous owners weren’t that careful.
By the way, doesn’t water affect stibnite?

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2012 15:16    Post subject: Re: How to clean acicular crystals?  

I've never had water affect any stibnite that I have cleaned. I clean it and dry it off with a soft towel, never noticed any effect on the crystals.

Susan Robinson

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2012 15:30    Post subject: Re: How to clean acicular crystals?  

I think aurichalcite, cyanotrichte, and chalcotrichite can be included with the okenite as being far too delicate to immerse in water or try to clean in any way. Once the fine crystals are matted down, the damage is done.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2012 18:30    Post subject: Re: How to clean acicular crystals?  

You can try a vacuum cleaner. Fasten the nozzle to something...tape it to a chair for example...then starting at some distance from the nozzle...say 3 feet or a meter gradually move the specimen towards the suction. At a certain point you'll see the dust and loose crystals start to get sucked up. Rotate the piece until it's as clean as you can get it without sucking off the attached crystals. If the dirt is stuck on and doesn't budge stop.

I have had decent luck focussing the vacuum by taping a paper cup over the nozzle and then sticking a soda straw through the bottom of the cup. This gives a strong focused vacuum that lets you clean more selectively

John Nash

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2012 21:38    Post subject: Re: How to clean acicular crystals?  

David, I also like acicular crystals. I like to swish them in a roomy bucket of warm soapy water while holding the specimen upside down (firmly) with minerals that form radiating clusters, so as to allow the dirt to flush out rather than accumulating in the base of the cluster.

Okenite would be very hard to clean. If you get it wet it tends to look matted after it drys. Maybe a dry cleaning fluid, but I'd try it on a piece you don't care about.

John

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2012 12:15    Post subject: Re: How to clean acicular crystals?  

Okenite is cheap enough that it might not be worth the time or effort to clean one.

cascaillou

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2012 15:30    Post subject: Re: How to clean acicular crystals?  

might be worth trying an air duster (i.e. pressurized gas used to remove dust from keyboards)

Index -> Conserving, Preparing and Cleaning Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: